MN MN - Madeline Jane Kingsbury, 26, mother of 2, Winona 31 Mar 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't answer your question, but note with interest that Rushford is about a half-hour south of Winona, about halfway to Mabel. I wonder who lives in Mabel, and whether dad would be familiar with the route/area. There does appear to be a KwikTrip in Rushford.
BBM

AF's family lives in Mabel.

AF's address listed on the petition is a Mabel address (Might be same as family address).

Link to article containing the petition:

Has 'anyone' offered an explanation as to WHY Maddi did not go in to work that day? She apparently was expected -- never called to explain her tardiness/absence. Seems to be that she would have called, if she were able. How did 'anyone' know that her van would be available for 'borrowing' around 10?

Has 'anyone' offered an explanation as to WHY Maddi did not go in to work that day? She apparently was expected -- never called to explain her tardiness/absence. Seems to be that she would have called, if she were able.
SBM
She was going to break it to AF? Though that doesn't explain why she didn't call out.

He has to be the primary POI and I hope the police put pressure on him thru interrogation. Of course he could obtain legal counsel (has he done this already?) and that would end any ability of the police to talk to him. Often I feel badly for people closest to a missing person because even when they are not involved they are always looked at as a suspect-- I get that, but sometimes the police focus so much on that person they fail to look at other potential suspects.

In this particular case however, the fact that she was leaving him, weighs heavily towards him as a suspect and that he was the last person to see her. I wish I could feel that things might turn out ok for her, but I don't see a happy ending here.
Yes, AF has legal counsel.

Adam Fravel, the childrens' father, released a public statement through his attorney Wednesday claiming he had no involvement in Kingsbury's disappearance and wants her home.

Has 'anyone' offered an explanation as to WHY Maddi did not go in to work that day? She apparently was expected -- never called to explain her tardiness/absence. Seems to be that she would have called, if she were able. How did 'anyone' know that her van would be available for 'borrowing' around 10?
Many things don't add up in this case. Her not going to work is just one of them.

So it makes sense that he came back to the house with her, then left for a couple of hours (we don't know where because he hasn't said), and when he came back, she was just gone? With her phone, etc. still there?

You actually think it's more likely that a random person came across her at home in Winona (population 26,000 people - not a major city by any stretch!) and took her for no reason, than it is that her soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend did something to her? He had the motive (she was leaving him), the means (he had the van to dispose of evidence, and could presumably overpower her), and the opportunity (he was alone with her).

I'm all for giving people the benefit of the doubt, but it doesn't apply here. She is missing and he was the last person to see her. His story is vague and makes no sense. MOO JMO speculation
No, I agree with you, the ex-boyfriend is the most likely suspect by a lot. And I have zero problem with the general public speculating that someone did something. Innocent until proven guilty is for the legal process, and not public speculation. But innocent until proven guilty in the eyes of the law is why I do have questions about how easy or transparent the legal process is for taking away someone’s children when that person has not been charged with any crimes. The extreme power of the state needs to be held to account. If CPS truly did find evidence of crimes or danger to the children in their home, obviously they should be removed. But if the state can just write a statement that there were crimes going on in the house and not have to provide evidence of that up front yet be able to take someone’s children for two months until a court hearing/trial is set then I take issue with that because it could happen to anyone.

TRANSCRIPTION OF MADELINE'S SISTER INTERVIEW WITH Nancy Grace

(Nancy plays clip from presser)

MEGAN - Madeline's a hard working and dedicated mother, as well as a grad student at the U of M and works for the Mayo Clinic. Family is everything to her and she's grown into an impressive and beautiful young woman. Madeline is many things, she's a mother, sister, daughter, best friend, grand daughter and a niece, it's a long list. She's a young mother of 5 yr. old A, 2 yr. old N. A is spunky and goofy and she loves to be crafty and creative. She's inherited her mother's kindness and curiousity about the world. Little N has turned into a chatterbox; can't tell what he says half the time. He loves to dance, he loves rock and roll and he was blessed with the red headed gene from my grandfather.

GRACE - Megan, first of all, tell me about your sister's children, her two babies. I believe they are.... I guess they're in pre-school, right?

MEGAN - Yeah, A attended a Montessori pre-school in Winona, and then N went to an in home day care in Winona as well.

GRACE - Tell me about her relationship with her children.

MEGAN - They were the light of her life. Constantly with them, constantly trying to discover new things to teach them. She really encouraged them to be their own little people. She was very much a 'yes' mom; wanted them to experience everything.

NANCY - You know, I was just thinking about them. One is 2 and one is 5 - how are they reacting to mommy not being there every single day?

MEGAN - You know, fortunately, they're very young. So, especially N, he's only 2. As far as them asking about her - once in a while, but they're doing really well, right now. As far as we can tell, they haven't really noticed any big difference.

NANCY - They must be surrounded by a lot of love right now.

MEGAN - Yes.

NANCY - ...and not even realise anything is out of the norm.

(plays clip from the Fox interview with Megan)

MEGAN - Since her first child was born, which is five years ago now, I talked to her multiple times on a daily basis, facetime, phone, text, even the rest of my family - she's in constant communication with us about every minute detail, so it's very unlike her.

The last communication that I had with her was the morning of Friday, March 31st. She had sent me a text at about 8:15 in the morning, regular texts for her - we were chuckling about a funny photo exchanged between us and that was the last communication with me or with any of my family, or with her other friends.

GRACE - Megan, so you guys were exchanging texts early that morning, as early as 8:15?

MEGAN - Yeah. We both start early in the morning. I personally, I start work at 7 am and she's up with the kids. So yeah, pretty much every morning, it's pretty pretty early contact with us.

GRACE - Let me understand her schedule Megan. Megan, in the morning - so she would get up, would she always drop the children, one at the home day care and one at the Montessori?

MEGAN - E went to the Montessori, gosh, I think maybe two or three days a week. The other days she went to the same in home day care as N.

GRACE - And Madeline would be the one to drop them off?

MEGAN - Yeah. Sometimes, I think, their father joined as well. I wasn't quite clear on how often but she definitely would always be there.

GRACE - So it was always her. Now who would pick them up?

MEGAN - I think, typically, it would be her or both parents. I think it kind of depended on her schedule.

GRACE - But almost always her and maybe the dad would also come?

MEGAN - Yes.

GRACE - Okay, the day that she went missing, who picked them up?

MEGAN - Their father.

GRACE - Okay, so that was covered. You exchanged a text with her early that morning, Megan - 8:15, did you hear from her after that?

MEGAN - I did not.

GRACE - Was that normal?

MEGAN - No. I mean, even if she can't talk or she's busy she'll sent a message saying so 'Hey, I'm busy, I'll talk to you later', but no, I didn't get anything else.

GRACE - And that was March 31st. correct?

MEGAN - Yes.

GRACE - Okay, March 31st. she goes missing, last heard from that morning at 8:15.

(Grace talks to an investigative reporter and a SAR expert about the search)

GRACE - What goes through your mind when you're hearing us talking about searching in this terrain?

MEGAN - You know, I've been out searching myself, in some more kind of remote areas: wildlife preserves, things like that. I've been down to visit, I've seen the difficulty in the terrain and I kind of look around and I'm like 'well, she could be anywhere' and it's hard to know where to search and a lot of people just aren't able to search that terrain effectively. So, it definitely worries me, every day.

GRACE - When you go to bed at night - what are your thoughts about where's your sister?

MEGAN - Just last night I was outside and I looked up at the sky and I'm just wondering if she's out there somewhere under the same sky, like 'where could she be?'. It's... a million things run through my mind, every night, and you want to hold on to a chance of hope that she's found okay. It's difficult the longer that this goes on.

GRACE - To John Lauritsen (investigative reporter), joining us. Was there any history of just, quote 'taking a break, or needing time to herself, anything like that? because I haven't found it.

REPORTER - No, not that we're aware of. I'm sure Megan and the family would be able to speak to that.

GRACE - Megan is there any such history?

MEGAN - There is not.

GRACE - I want you to hear more of what we know about Madeline, listen..

(plays another clip from the Fox interview with Megan)

MEGAN - There was some concern the evening of Friday, March 31st. My mom actually sent me a message asking if I had heard from my sister that day because my mom had sent some messages and had no response, and when she said that, I was kind of like, 'oh, I guess you're right'. She was supposed to come visit my house the next morning with her daughter and typically we would have discussed those plans since it was coming up. So, it was that evening when we started kind of connecting with her friends and seeing if anyone had heard from her.

GRACE - Megan how far away from Madeline do you live?

MEGAN - I live in the Minneapolis area, so it's about two hours from her home in Winona.

GRACE - So, to plan a trip - this isn't just like she's going around the corner. This is something... she'd have to get the children ready, in the car, snacks, all that and then drive two hours to see you and your family, correct?

MEGAN - Right.

GRACE - So, that was the plan, interesting. And no history at all of just leaving to go for a girl's weekend or time alone, nothing like that, right?

MEGAN - Right. I mean, if she needed a break, she'd come to my house but she'd still bring the kids and we'd kind of tag team and watch them, but no she never would leave them

GRACE - That morning - 8:15 am, that's when she's texting with her sister, Megan, she and the bio-dad drop the children at day care?

REPORTER - Correct.

GRACE - He tells cops he left Maddie's house at 10 am., for some reason, in her minivan. Okay, let me understand - that was when the decision was made that she did not go to work, because that's when she would go to work, I understand, between 8... after she drops the children. Did he bring her back to the house, is that what he's saying?

REPORTER - That's what we understand, through law enforcement, that's what he told them.

GRACE - Then he takes the Chrysler and then when he comes back with it, I don't know what.. to fill it with gas, I'm not sure. He gets back at 10 am. and she's not there. Is that correct?

REPORTER - He claims he left and came back, I believe, in the afternoon and she was not there. Now, law enforcement is telling us there's no evidence that she was picked up by anybody else, or that she might have just left the home and walked somewhere and that's according to the Winona Police Chief.

GRACE - Well, is that the terrain, Megan? Would she just leave and walk somewhere?

MEGAN - No, I mean, where her house is kind of situated, she's not really within walking distance of like a Target or anything.

GRACE - Did she walk, jog or bike, anything like that?

MEGAN - You know, she used to jog, I think it's been a while but she did used to jog, in the past.

GRACE - But not recently?

MEGAN - No, I don't believe so.

GRACE - So, I'm just trying to figure out... we were covering the case of Eliza Fletcher, a Memphis mom, who was out at like, 4 o'clock in the morning, jogging; that was her routine and a lot of terrains like - you go out on the street it's like I-75, you can't walk or jog or bike there. Or, it could be a country road like Molly Tibbets, where she would run every day. So, is the terrain near.. did she have a home, apartment, condo what?

MEGAN - They lived in a town home it was kind of one of those divided in half one's, so they had a connected neighbour.

GRACE - Okay, and the bio-dad's living in the home, correct?

MEGAN - Yes.

GRACE - Okay, so he leaves with the car. Yeah, you're right, Lauritsen; I had that 10:30 am in my head, that he came back, but her vehicle was sighted between 10:30 and 1:30 pm that's where I'm getting 10:30. Is that correct?

REPORTER - That is correct, yes.

GRACE - Who sighted her vehicle?

REPORTER - That was spotted around town, I believe there's more than one witness to that and now what law enforcement is trying to get people to do, since we've been down there, is - have people check, it's called the Highway 43 corridor, that's where that van is that's spotted, or was spotted around that time.

GRACE - Multiple sightings of her van around town, but did anybody see who was driving it?

(Reporter talks about LE's request for door cams, trails cams etc. from the general public)

GRACE - You're telling me people in the town of Winona think they saw, not just A blue Town & Country, HER blue Town & Country, is that what they think?

REPORTER - That's what law enforcement has told us. They believe that van... more than one person saw that van driving in that timeframe we talked about.

GRACE - What was distinct about her van? Megan, what if anything is distinct? John, anybody jump in and tell me.

REPORTER - Well, the fact that it was a Town & Country Chrysler van... and honestly Nancy, I don't know how popular those are in Winona, Minnesota, but in that timeframe that van was spotted and that's an excellent question - is that van... do we know if that was hers for sure? I'm guessing, but law enforcement says it is.

GRACE - Megan, what about it, what about her van?

MEGAN - You know, law enforcement has some footage from a gas station in Rushford, Minnesota, I believe it was a Kwik Trip, of the van coming and going. So, I know for sure they've seen it in Rushford. Other than that, I haven't heard if there's been any other footage. I know they're looking at semi trucks; those have cameras, kind of all around, they're really trying any avenue to see if they can get footage.

GRACE - Where is Rushford as it relates to Winona?

REPORTER - It's pretty close, 20 miles would be the maximum.

GRACE - And what time of the day was her van spotted in Rushford?

MEGAN - I want to say probably between like 10:30 and 11ish.

REPORTER - Yeah, I believe you're right on that Megan. I think it was in the morning still, before the noon hours that that was spotted.

GRACE - But what time does bio-dad say he brought the car back?

MEGAN - I believe that he said he returned home around 1 pm.

GRACE - So, that could have been him driving around? That doesn't really help us, does it? Okay, where's the vehicle right now John?

REPORTER - Law enforcement has searched that vehicle. I do not know if they gave that back to the family.

GRACE - Do you know Megan?

MEGAN - I believe law enforcement still has the vehicle.

(Nancy talks to a CSI expert who mentions that Madeline's FB page shows she was looking for a new place to live)

GRACE - Megan, is that correct, that she was looking for a new place to live?

MEGAN - Yes, that's correct.

GRACE - Why?

MEGAN - Her and the father of the children were not continuing their relationship.

GRACE - They were splitting?

MEGAN - Yes. So, she was looking for a new place, close to where she already lived, close to the day care, close to the preschool. I know she was looking over in Goodview, which is the next town over. So yeah, she was looking for a new place.

GRACE - The family of Madeline Kingsbury has now issued a $50,000 reward. Tip line - 507-457-6288. Please help us find Madeline.

A few things I have discovered after listening to her sister on Nancy Grace and doing a little digging.

Megan said Maddie's routine was to drop the kids off and go in to work. That to me sounds like she actually goes to work. There is a Mayo Clinic in Winona and Maddie's LinkedIn Page lists her at Mayo, Winona. It is located 4 miles (8 minutes) from her house, making much more sense than driving to Rochester. It was her initial understanding that she usually dropped the kids off alone but she had recently learned both parents sometimes dropped them off together as well as picked them up. that almost sounds like 2 people who carpool.

I know she sent a goofy text at 8:15A to Megan but we don't know where she was at that time or if she actually sent the text. There was a report that stated her "roommate" saw her at 8:15A at the house; however I think roommate is another term for AF like husband, partner, ex-boyfriend, father of children are. I wish reporters could get on the same page and use the same term. AF also said he left at 10:00 and she was at home.

Megan also said AF was living with her but that the relationship was over or ending. The house is only 2 bedrooms so that is interesting.

He came home with her van at 1:30 and she wasn't there. If he lived there you would assume he stayed home.

He picked up the kids from daycare so obviously, he knew she was "missing" and had to have noticed her phone and purse were there and he must have had a car to pick them up in. It speaks volumes that he didn't reach out to Megan or her family to see if they heard from her and why did her family call her friends but not him if he was living in the same house? I wonder where he and the kids were that Friday night.

I also wonder how they KNOW she didn't leave on foot or with someone in another car. Obviously, she left her phone and personal stuff but they said she was wearing furry boots could she have walked to a neighbor's house? I don't think this happened but since LE isn't saying much I find it odd that they keep saying this as fact.

I know they aren't arresting him or naming him as a POI I'm guessing it is because of him having the kids until
CPS took them and they were protecting them and they may only have a bunch of circumstantial evidence and it is hard to keep him if they don't have something.

I really hope they find her soon. Perhaps his family knows something and will speak out.

As for her 5-year-old niece and 2-year-old nephew, Megan Kingsbury says she has seen them and the kids are in "a safe place."

Megan told Raguse that authorities have not told the family anything specific about the status of those searches, but said volunteers will go out this weekend, some on horseback.

"Of course we're hopeful that we're gonna find her," Megan reflected. "It's not so much a question of if, it's when, it's really hard the longer it goes on, two weeks, but the hope is obviously still there. It's just a struggle to keep positivity about it sometimes."
Anyone who wants to help search, or keep up with the latest on Madeline's disappearance can follow the Find Madeline Kingsbury Facebook page, or the one operated by Winona PD.
*I think I know how she feels. I really do. Not knowing is the worst! Every day she hopes her sister will walk through the door...

I also wonder how they KNOW she didn't leave on foot or with someone in another car. Obviously, she left her phone and personal stuff but they said she was wearing furry boots could she have walked to a neighbor's house? I don't think this happened but since LE isn't saying much I find it odd that they keep saying this as fact.
SBM

Houses up and down the street from where Maddi lived, may have doorbell cams or security cameras that LE has looked at, which don't show Maddi walking past. These cameras may also show no other "unknown" vehicles coming and going.

Unless there is a camera pointing directly at Maddi's townhouse, no one knows what happened between 8:15 AM and 1:30 PM as far as who may have entered or exited the house during that time.

Last edited:
As for her 5-year-old niece and 2-year-old nephew, Megan Kingsbury says she has seen them and the kids are in "a safe place."

Megan told Raguse that authorities have not told the family anything specific about the status of those searches, but said volunteers will go out this weekend, some on horseback.

"Of course we're hopeful that we're gonna find her," Megan reflected. "It's not so much a question of if, it's when, it's really hard the longer it goes on, two weeks, but the hope is obviously still there. It's just a struggle to keep positivity about it sometimes."
Anyone who wants to help search, or keep up with the latest on Madeline's disappearance can follow the Find Madeline Kingsbury Facebook page, or the one operated by Winona PD.
*I think I know how she feels. I really do. Not knowing is the worst! Every day she hopes her sister will walk through the door...

He picked the kids up from daycare that day, was that the plan? He didn't seem to be concerned at 9:00 pm that evening that he hadn't heard from Maddi and he had the kids...how often did this happen? I suspect this was not the plan, jmo.

If you're absolutely 100% innocent, why would you lawyer up?!

The fact he has no interest in Madeline, has never asked for help finding her, and has not taken part in any searches at all says it all.

The clock is ticking. It's only a matter of time.....
It is in the best interest of anyone being questioned by police as a possible POI in a suspected crime to lawyer up, innocent or not. A lawyer as a witness and advisor is a must. Doesn’t mean you can’t talk and answer questions, just means you have a witness to the encounter and hopefully someone by your side who will have your best interests in mind and protect you from unsavory interrogations or outcomes. And I say this as someone who spouse is in law-enforcement and is very pro attorney. If ever there’s a hint of possibly being tied to a crime, even if you know you were two states away and had nothing to do with it, lawyer up until officially cleared.

MOO

This case makes me think of Jennifer Dulos (CT 2019) The only difference, in my opinion, is that Jennifer's husband Fotis foolishly handed his phone over to LE when they asked. They were then able to track his moves as he dumped bags of who knows what in trash bins and sewer drains. That's what LE needs in this case - a phone to map the way. Otherwise, I think it'll be a tough case. Hopefully they get the hard facts they need.

What is PT? Assuming it’s custody, why don’t you think he will get it? Not referring to your post Schlep, but this thread is sounding like police headquarters in Minority Report. People saying this man is likely to murder his children. I agree the circumstances and behavior make him most suspicious for MK’s disappearance, but what if he didn’t have anything to do with this? I know on the rare occurrences when I’ve had bigger arguments with my husband, there have been times he’s left in a car and I’ve gone out for a walk. Luckily I haven’t been murdered while out or I’m sure he’d be prime suspect number one.

AF’s actions make sense to me if he is guilty or if he is innocent. I remember when poor Eliza Fletcher went missing the internets started attacking her husband and saying “tick tock.” They judged him because he hadn’t made public statements, or he didn’t look upset enough when cameras caught him outside of his house. Well boy is that poor man in one sick sense lucky. Lucky that his wife and the video of her abduction was found quickly. Otherwise he’d probably still be getting accused and interrogated. And if Eliza’s family lost faith in him and what he was telling them, then who knows? Maybe he’d be losing custody of his children, too.
Parent Time as in visitations

He picked the kids up from daycare that day, was that the plan? He didn't seem to be concerned at 9:00 pm that evening that he hadn't heard from Maddi and he had the kids...how often did this happen? I suspect this was not the plan, jmo.
I have to tell ya, I'm confused with this one. Not with the questions we all have but this damn van, the 1 and only vehicle that I've read about. They both still live together at this point. Both seen dropping kids off at daycare, she is supposedly back home although she was supposed to be at work ( no phone call to job, no texts to sister) he takes HER van and does whatever it is he was doing and yet concerned that she was supposed to pick the kids up. If I read correctly she and her DD were supposed to visit the sister/family the next day? I'm trying to understand what his thinking is about her picking the kids up when he had the van? Either I'm missing something or he's an idiot. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
litewrker23