MN MN - Peter Achermann, 82, Staples, 24 July 2009

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
NORRAD:

Have you or family members circulated Peter's "missing" poster to hospitals (especially ERs), homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and social service agencies within 100 miles of where Peter was last seen and/or his car was found?

We've had many cases here at Websleuths of an older person having a medical problem and becoming disoriented, confused, or having amnesia, and ending up at a hospital or homeless shelter unable to identify him or herself.

All the best,

Hoppy

Theory that I have (based on nothing) is that Peter picked somebody up on his travels. Whoever he picked up gained control of the car and put Peter out of the car enroute to where the car was eventually found. Peter got confused and disoriented and headed in the wrong direction to find his way home.

Like I say based on nothing but it would be interesting to know if anybody seen anybody with Peter on his travels that day. From what I have read there appears to be no scent of Peter at the place where his car was found (hopefully have read this correctly).

Like I say theory based on nothing ... just a theory nothing more ... nothing to back it up.

Good theories from Hoppy and elepher50.

We have tried working with these theories already. If he had a medical emergency, stroke or aneurism, and walked off into the woods, we think we would have found something (hat, chain, cigar, cigar butt, evidence of a fire, article of clothing, defication, something). Then, nothing from over 30 different seach dogs. We covered about 8 SQUARE miles of the area where the car was found, within 500 yards, four times from different directions using line searches 6 feet apart. It would seem if he had been in that area, we would have picked up something.

Hoppy's thought that his car was put there seems the most logical. Combine that with Elepher50's thought that he picked up someone who over powered him also fits.

Peter was a very kind man who would help anybody. He has been known to pick up people and give them rides home. Could have happened this way.

Elepher50 is correct - no definite scents of Peter or trails found anywhere near the car or anywhere else so far. Seems, he was never really out there.

As I stated in earlier info, Peter was last seen at the grocery store (on video too) at 11:55 AM. He was expected home no later than 3:00. The groceries he bought AND his wife's medicine he picked up were still in the car when it was found.

Here is what we know so far:

Last seen at grocery store in Staples at 11:55 AM

One local person believes they saw him crossing a bridge on the road which he normally takes home. About 12:15 PM. (This bridge would be about 3 miles from the grocery store). Last time seen if in fact it was Peter, not just his car.)

From the bridge, the car was found 1/2 mile east, then about 3 miles north , then 1/2 mile north on gravel, then 1 mile down a minimum maintenance old logging road. This is where we focused the search. This is NOT any roads he would have taken to go home. It was more like the car was hidden back on the logging road. It did take over 24 hours after he went missing to even find the car.

Here is the strange part: One local person says they saw the car where it was found at about 3:00 PM Friday, shortly after he disappeared. Another local person says they were down on that road at 5:00 PM Friday and there was NO car stuck back there. Hmmm...

Worth investigating the times? I hope so. The Sheriff's department is aware of these conflicting stories.

Hoppy suggested in another forum that we should get posters out to all ER's, hospitals, homeless shelters, and soup kitchens within 100 miles. Good idea. We will start working on that. It fits well with Elepher50's theories.

Thanks for all your suggestions...I'll keep you posted.

NORRAD

One more thing, NORRAD: if there are going to be any searches for which you will need volunteers from the public, please post the info ASAP here and on the other thread.

Thinking of you, Peter, and all his friends and family,

Hoppy

Great ideas. THANKS. We will start working on this right away. NORRAD

NORRAD:

Have you or family members circulated Peter's "missing" poster to hospitals (especially ERs), homeless shelters, soup kitchens, and social service agencies within 100 miles of where Peter was last seen and/or his car was found?

We've had many cases here at Websleuths of an older person having a medical problem and becoming disoriented, confused, or having amnesia, and ending up at a hospital or homeless shelter unable to identify him or herself.

All the best,

Hoppy

Hoppy,

Will do. Thanks. First, we really need a lead. If that happens, I will post when we will need volunteers.

NORRAD

Thanks for the update Norrad - Peter's disappearance is very mysterious to say the least. To me from what I have read, foul play should be suspected and apparently LE is not looking in this direction. Peter was healthy, was on errands and got off track somehow. Sounds like Peter was well organized, knew what he was doing and somebody derailed him from his plans. Hopefully they have Peter's car secured for finger prints,etc. Do you know if the keys were still in the ignition when the car was found and do we know how much cash Peter had on him when he went missing?
Thoughts are with Peter's family and friends and may he be found soon.

Very sorry to read about Peter being missing - he seems like a really good person.

Here are some questions/suggestions for consideration.

“He was last seen at 11:45 SM Friday July 24th getting milk at the grocery store. He was expected home by 3:00. He lives about 20 miles north of the grocery store where he was last seen.”

• Based on the fact he purchased milk, it sounds like he would have been headed straight home after the grocery store.
  • Was there a typical route he took from grocery store home?
  • Have searchers/volunteers re-traced the typical route from the grocery store to his home?
  • Have fliers been posted along that route?
  • Are there any businesses/homes with video cameras along that route?
  • Has anyone considered standing along the road of the route with big posters of both Peter’s car and himself, in case a visual jogs anyone’s memory that may have been driving/biking/walking by that day?
  • If he was last seen at 11:45 on Friday, it may be good to do this at the same time of day (which would be around lunch time).
  • Are these the two current fliers?
  • “Achermann walked with a cane and was wearing a red, white and blue, floppy, beret-styled hat. His glasses were on a leather strap and he always wore a crucifix around his neck. None of these articles have been located.”
  • Is there a picture of him in the red/white/blue beret that can be included on the flier?
  • Is there a picture of his cane, glasses on a strap, cigars, lighter, or the crucifix he wore that can be included on the flier? If not actual pictures, examples that look like those items (which can be found on the internet). People are visual and those minor details may help.
  • Is there a website that has info about Peter’s disappearance, where people can go and download the flier, and where you can post info about upcoming searches?
  • Did Peter have a cell phone?

Did LE process his car for fingerprints, forensic evidence?
If Peter A picked up a hitchhiker, then their dna or hair evidence could be on the passenger side. And, of course, if that person did something to Peter A, then their dna, etc could be on the driver's side.
If the car was taken down this remote road to hide it, then what happened to Peter before the car started off on the side roads?

If the bridge sighting of Peter A is true, then something happened almost immediately after the bridge.
If the person who saw Peter could remember any other cars at that time, anyone walking, that could be a help.

Or maybe he picked someone up outside the grocery store? Hopefully, LE has examined the store's security tapes? Inside and outside the store?

I am just now hearing about Peter's disappearence. It is indeed mysterious. It sounds to me like Peter was never in the area where his car was found. The blood hounds would have picked up his scent immediately if he had been there. And, if he had a medical emergency and wandered into the woods or fields beyond where his car was found I don't think he would have gotten very far and would have been easily found.

Are the police treating this seriously? Have they taken the car for processing? If I were a detective that would the first thing I would do. Right now it is the only piece of evidence or trace of Peter they have.

I wonder if Denny Adams and his dogs could go to the grocery store - the last place Peter was seen and try to track him from there. It seems unbelievable but bloodhounds can track someone's scent even if they were traveling in a car.

Does anyone know why he chose a store 20 miles from his home? I know I don't buy milk 20 miles from my home. I'd buy it around the corner so it doesn't get warm and start to spoil.

Does anyone know why he chose a store 20 miles from his home? I know I don't buy milk 20 miles from my home. I'd buy it around the corner so it doesn't get warm and start to spoil.

NORRAD:

I've wondered about SuziQ's question too.

Also, why wasn't Peter expected home until over three hours after he bought the milk? Was he planning to do other errands or stop and visit friends?

I agree with all the other posters about how LE should have processed his car as a crime scene. I hope they did that.

Thank you,

Hoppy

I think maybe because he went that far to get his wife's scripts and stopped at the store on the way back home?

I think I understand now: Peter lives 20 miles north of Staples. He went to Staples to get his wife's scripts and get the milk. It is possible that Peter lives in a remote enough area that there aren't any stores around the corner. In fact, if you look at a map, you'll see that there is virtually nothing (towns, etc) 20 miles north of Staples MN. HTH

Hoppy

No keys were found in the car. Peter always carried a minimum of cash, usually less than $30. That day was no different.

Thanks for the update Norrad - Peter's disappearance is very mysterious to say the least. To me from what I have read, foul play should be suspected and apparently LE is not looking in this direction. Peter was healthy, was on errands and got off track somehow. Sounds like Peter was well organized, knew what he was doing and somebody derailed him from his plans. Hopefully they have Peter's car secured for finger prints,etc. Do you know if the keys were still in the ignition when the car was found and do we know how much cash Peter had on him when he went missing?
Thoughts are with Peter's family and friends and may he be found soon.

very sorry to read about peter being missing - he seems like a really good person.

He is.

Here are some questions/suggestions for consideration.

“he was last seen at 11:45 sm friday july 24th getting milk at the grocery store. He was expected home by 3:00. He lives about 20 miles north of the grocery store where he was last seen.”

• based on the fact he purchased milk, it sounds like he would have been headed straight home after the grocery store.

Yes, he should have been.
  • was there a typical route he took from grocery store home?

yes, we have walked it and checked all ditches up to 10 people wide into the woods.
  • have searchers/volunteers re-traced the typical route from the grocery store to his home?

Yes, multiple times.
  • have fliers been posted along that route?

at the businesses but not on the roadway. This would be a good idea to pursue. Thanks
  • are there any businesses/homes with video cameras along that route?

no. Extremely rural. Use google earth to find staples mn then find leader mn. Peter lives about 4 miles north of leader. You will see how rural it is. Some farms, much swamp and woods.
  • has anyone considered standing along the road of the route with big posters of both peter’s car and himself, in case a visual jogs anyone’s memory that may have been driving/biking/walking by that day?

no. But i really like this idea. I think we should try doing this on fridays for a few weeks to try to catch anyone who typically drives those roads on fridays. Thanks for this idea.
  • if he was last seen at 11:45 on friday, it may be good to do this at the same time of day (which would be around lunch time).
  • are these the two current fliers?

we have been doing this every friday since he disappeared

• yes, these are relatively current. I have one newer poster that i will try to attach in a separate posting yet tonight to this forum.
  • “achermann walked with a cane and was wearing a red, white and blue, floppy, beret-styled hat. His glasses were on a leather strap and he always wore a crucifix around his neck. None of these articles have been located.”
  • is there a picture of him in the red/white/blue beret that can be included on the flier?

hmmm... We will need to check on this.
  • is there a picture of his cane, glasses on a strap, cigars, lighter, or the crucifix he wore that can be included on the flier? If not actual pictures, examples that look like those items (which can be found on the internet). People are visual and those minor details may help.

there is a picture of peter with his glasses on. I will attach it to a separate post below yet tonight. We will have to look for others. Good idea. Thanks.
  • is there a website that has info about peter’s disappearance, where people can go and download the flier, and where you can post info about upcoming searches?

at this point, there is no other website. We can try to get someone to develop one for us.
  • did peter have a cell phone?

no.

hope this was an appropriate way to try to respond to all these questions.

Norrad

Did LE process his car for fingerprints, forensic evidence?

They have the car yet in their lab. We have not yet heard if it has been processed.

If Peter A picked up a hitchhiker, then their dna or hair evidence could be on the passenger side. And, of course, if that person did something to Peter A, then their dna, etc could be on the driver's side.

Agree.

If the car was taken down this remote road to hide it, then what happened to Peter before the car started off on the side roads?

That is the lead that we desparately need.

If the bridge sighting of Peter A is true, then something happened almost immediately after the bridge.

Not necessarily. It could have happened even a mile from his house, then the car could have been placed where it was found. So in reality, given this theory, something could have happened anywhere from the bridge where he was last seen all the way to the road going into his home. That is about a 17 mile stretch of roads.

If the person who saw Peter could remember any other cars at that time, anyone walking, that could be a help.

Good idea. We will check on this.

Or maybe he picked someone up outside the grocery store?

No. The family and LE has viewed these tapes at the grocery store, watched him get into his car and drive off.

Hopefully, LE has examined the store's security tapes? Inside and outside the store?

Thanks for these ideas.

NORRAD

I am just now hearing about Peter's disappearence. It is indeed mysterious. It sounds to me like Peter was never in the area where his car was found. The blood hounds would have picked up his scent immediately if he had been there. And, if he had a medical emergency and wandered into the woods or fields beyond where his car was found I don't think he would have gotten very far and would have been easily found.

Are the police treating this seriously?

There have been some GREAT deputies helping us. It is unclear how active the investigation is at this point. "Officially" it is missing person case, however foul play has not been ruled out.

Have they taken the car for processing?

Yes, it is currently in the MN BCA labs.

If I were a detective that would the first thing I would do. Right now it is the only piece of evidence or trace of Peter they have.

Agree.

I wonder if Denny Adams and his dogs could go to the grocery store - the last place Peter was seen and try to track him from there. It seems unbelievable but bloodhounds can track someone's scent even if they were traveling in a car.

Good point.

Thanks. NORRAD

SuziQ,

Peter lived about 20 miles north of Staples, the closest town with a drug store, grocery store, and hardware store. One of his tasks was to pick up his wife's meds. He picked them up at the Staples Hospital before he went to the grocery store. This just happens to be the closest options in this rural area.

Peter always brought a cooler to town with him when he picked up groceries for the refrigerated goods. Milk was always placed in his cooler when he bought it. The milk he bought at the grocery store on the Friday he disappeared was in the cooler in the car when the car was found.

NORRAD

NORRAD:

I've wondered about SuziQ's question too.

Also, why wasn't Peter expected home until over three hours after he bought the milk? Was he planning to do other errands or stop and visit friends?

I agree with all the other posters about how LE should have processed his car as a crime scene. I hope they did that.

Thank you,

Hoppy

His wife expected him home by 2:00 PM. His errands included stopping at his daughter's for a visit to see how the wedding plans were going the next day, getting gas, picking up meds, and getting groceries. Had he NOT disappeared and left the grocery store at 11:55 AM, he would have been home about 12:35-12:45 PM. His wife became concerned and began calling neighbors and friends by 3:00 PM when Peter was not back. He was always prompt or called if he would be late.

I and others thought the car should have been processed within a couple of days when he wasn't found on the searches, but then again, my experience in LE was watching CSI on TV. I continue to have faith that LE will fully investigate the disappearance including all leads.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JayneDrop
Back