MN - Philando Castile, 32, shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This video is one of the few that actually made me cry. I am reserving judgement until I learn all of the facts. Meanwhile, black on black murders occur daily in our cities and not one word here or in the media. It's seems at first glance to me that this was a inexperienced cop that should have not been on the force. I feel horrible for the poor little daughter that was in the car!

I can't even fathom what could be done to fix this situation. What was it that caused us, as a society, to turn the page like this? Surely people did not always need to fear being pulled over by the police, did they? Has this always been an issue? Sincerely asking, since I'm starting to think that maybe my head has been buried in the sand, or I've been too insulated.

I think it has always been an issue for people of color.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang.

Thats pretty graphic.

Wtf.

The girlfriend couldn't even hug her boyfriend since the cop was still standing there by the window and ready to shoot.

Wth. The cop stood there like he was waiting for death to take place before realizing that there was no threat. Jmo.

Now I applaud that the woman was brave enough to live stream things as proof.

But shux. Where the heck was the hugs and kisses and you will be OK.

Dang. She had No tears. Just straight lois lane reporting.

Now I do feel bad for the guy. But I also feel that her real time reporting during the dying of a loved one; says that she did it more for dollar signs and not out of why is this happening to my loved one. Jmo.

You must have not seen the full video. ABC World News showed her breaking down outside the car while on her knees with her young daughter comforting her by saying, 'it's OK I'm here with you."

They did everything right, the officer in this case needs to be charged AND convicted of murder. What the governor said, about this situation and it's outcome not being the same if the cars occupants were white is so true. I'm glad he had the courage to say so this early in the investigation, rather than maintainin a non committed pov with some mumble jumble about an ongoing investigation.

The police did nothing wrong. The deceased moved after being told not to move.

I'm almost agreeing with you. I can't imagine being told that someone has a gun. You tell them not to move. And the guy moves.
On that same breath something must be done so that people stop dying at the hands of police.
I have a mixed race boy. I have told him, when police tell you stop, you stop. You don't even breathe. Regardless of what they do to you. I want you to come home to me so we can fight it together.
It's very sad for me. My mixed race boy is 11. His white brother is 5. (Son by adoption) is it sad that I'm not worried as much for his brother as I am about my 11 year old. And sadly it is because of his race😢

From what girlfriend is saying, it sounds like he told the cop he had a gun. The cop then shot him. Sounds like the cop thought he was reaching for that gun when he was reaching for his wallet.

Digging for i.d. registration and insurance cards in purse, glove compartments, consoles and pockets when u get stopped is a problem. You don't want to do anything to cause an officer alarm no matter who you are. Maybe we need it tattooed on our arms.

This has me re-thinking where I store my stuff.

My insurance card along with other papers is locked in the glove box. And since I started going to the gym I've kept my drivers license locked in the center console along with a few bucks so I don't have to worry about a purse.

Never gave it a second thought, till now. If pulled over, I'd have to ask the officer permission to unlock 2 things. Not a good idea. I'm changing that, now!

Gf says on video
He told the officer he had a gun and he was reaching for his wallet.
I'm thinking the office asked for ID.
Guy told him I have a gun. Reaching for my wallet.
Maybe after he said he had a gun, officer said do not moved. The guy didn't register the "do not move"

I don't know. I'm torn.

You must have not seen the full video. ABC World News showed her breaking down outside the car while on her knees with her young daughter comforting her by saying, 'it's OK I'm here with you." They did everything right, the officer in this case needs to be charged AND convicted of murder. What the governor said, about this situation and it's outcome not being the same if the cars occupants were white is so true. I'm glad he had the courage to say so this early in the investigation, rather than maintainin a non committed pov with some mumble jumble about an ongoing investigation.
We have not yet seen the full video. Especially the events leading up to the encounter. Like I said previously, it seems that the police officer should not have been on the force in the first place but I will reserve judgment. I hope there was at least a dash cam in the patrol car. If not why in this day and age?

The LE are required to provide first aid as well. Instead he bled to death.

I love love love the Governor if MN. He comes from a suoer wealthy family. They started Target and Dayton's. He was married to Alida Rockelfeller but is divorced.

He raised the taxes on the rich and consequently MN has one of the best economies in the nation.

He is a horrible public speaker. But he cares about people. Refreshing.

Absolutely disgusting. I don't even know what to say anymore. Nothing is going to change until responsible police officers start policing the sick police officers, and help change the culture of law enforcement. I lost a ton of respect for police when I saw the NYPD turn their backs on the mayor last year. It's getting harder every day to look at them as any more than badged t***s. Policing can be a dangerous occupation, and officers must understand that there are going to be instances when they are going to have to put their lives on the line. It's the nature of policing. That does not mean, however, that they can check their brains at the door and follow a shoot first policy because they are so fearful. That's what they're being paid for, to PROTECT and SERVE, NOT to be judge, jury and executioners.

http://www.newswest9.com/story/32395753/the-latest-police-union-much-unknown-about-fatal-shooting

A law enforcement expert says the Twin Cities police officer who fatally shot a black man should have delivered first aid when it was clear he was no longer a threat.

William Moulder is a police consultant and longtime former police chief in Des Moines. Moulder says the officer should have rendered aid to Philando Castile within a minute or two because it was clear there was no threat.

Castile was shot after a traffic stop Wednesday night in Falcon Heights, a suburb of St. Paul. His girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, broadcast the aftermath of the shooting from inside the car on Facebook. Castile later died.

Reynolds and relatives say he wasn't tended to until paramedics arrived more than 10 minutes later.

The Facebook footage shows Castile motionless inside the car for several minutes.

Gf says on video
He told the officer he had a gun and he was reaching for his wallet.
I'm thinking the office asked for ID.
Guy told him I have a gun. Reaching for my wallet.
Maybe after he said he had a gun, officer said do not moved. The guy didn't register the "do not move"

I don't know. I'm torn.

That's what it sounds like to me as well.
Cop stops the car, tells him to get a license. He is reaching for his wallet but tells the cop that he has a gun. Cop then tells him not to move, then shoots him, as he continues to reach for his wallet.
Another senseless death at least in part due to gun ownership.

We have not yet seen the full video. Especially the events leading up to the encounter. Like I said previously, it seems that the police officer should not have been on the force in the first place but I will reserve judgment. I hope there was at least a dash cam in the patrol car. If not why in this day and age?

Someone commented about her not crying and the video aired on ABC World News tonight included her crying and her young daughter comforting her.

I'm curious as to why he was even asked for id? She was pulled over, not him. I'd bet money if he were white, he wouldn't even have been asked for ID. One of the news agencies should poll white ticketed drivers in MN to determine if they had a passenger and was that passenger asked to show id?

Someone commented about her not crying and the video aired on ABC World News tonight included her crying and her young daughter comforting her.

I'm curious as to why he was even asked for id? She was pulled over, not him. I'd bet money if he were white, he wouldn't even have been asked for ID. One of the news agencies should poll white ticketed drivers in MN to determine if they had a passenger and was that passenger asked to show id?

No, he was the one driving.

Difficult for me to believe the cop just shot w/o provocation. I sure hope we ultimately see the cop was wearing a camera and we get the full story. I would like to see the 60 seconds prior to shooting. Audio would probably suffice. I hope this wasnt a trigger happy cop. A biased opinion from a white male...but....if I were a black parent, I would be teaching my children what to do and what not to do when pulled over by cops. I want to hold firm on my thoughts that if you are respectful and compliant nobody gets hurt.

Which is exactly what the mayor of New York relayed having told his teenage mixed race son, and he was raked over the coals for it, and the NYPD turned their backs on him in a very public, shameful display of insubordination and contempt.

Difficult for me to believe the cop just shot w/o provocation. I sure hope we ultimately see the cop was wearing a camera and we get the full story. I would like to see the 60 seconds prior to shooting. Audio would probably suffice. I hope this wasnt a trigger happy cop. A biased opinion from a white male...but....if I were a black parent, I would be teaching my children what to do and what not to do when pulled over by cops. I want to hold firm on my thoughts that if you are respectful and compliant nobody gets hurt.

Sadly, the police can't seem to figure out how to properly use their body cameras. The technology must be beyond their scope. Shooting to kill indiscriminately seems to be more in their wheelhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btc121296