GUILTY MO - Carl DeBrodie, 31, Fulton, disabled, beaten to death, encased in concrete, 17 Apr 2017 *Arrests

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
"Department of Mental Health: By contract, Second Chance responsible for care of people in home"
Posted: Apr 26, 2017 09:47 PM CDT
Updated: Apr 26, 2017 10:30 PM CDT
"... ABC 17 News is digging for more answers as to who was legally responsible for DeBrodie.

Missouri Department of Mental Health Director Debra Walker told ABC 17 News in an email response that 'by contract, Second Chance was responsible for the care and safety of each individual living in the home.'
According to Callaway County court records, the owner of Second Chance is a woman by the name of Rachael Rowden.
According to court records ABC 17 News dug through, Karen Digh-Allen, a Callaway County public administrator, was in charge of filing reports about DeBrodie. ABC 17 News called, and got a voicemail.

Checking through online court records, an annual guardianship report was reviewed and approved as late as this January."
http://www.abc17news.com/news/depar...ponsible-for-care-of-people-in-home/465295206

jggordo: They must have seen your post from yesterday ;)!

Lots of questions. Was his family unable or not allowed to act as his guardian? Why would the question of adoption be coming up if he had living parents? Possibly wrong questions to ask but I'm not familiar with this type of system at all. Around here, even if you have a child that needs to be in a care facility, you are still the parent/guardian. And anyone that told you you could not visit or speak with your own child would need to be providing alot of answers real quick. His family had to "schedule" visits with him?? So it sounds like either by natural causes or foul play, at some point Carl died and that was covered up so someone could keep receiving money from the state. Who owned the storage unit? Who was paying the rent on it? I noticed it was only 1/4 mile from the group facility. And gold stars to the agency taking over to alert the police as fast as they did that a resident was not accounted for! Otherwise, who knows how much longer this cover-up would have gone on. People that abuse children and animals go to a special place in hell. IMO, people unable to take care of themselves and the elderly are in the same category with children. :maddening:

maybe this is a case of the parents didn't know better or weren't too bright? like in grace packer case. they just bulldozed her natural parents and adopted out her and her bro. the parents didn't feel they could do anything.

Lots of questions. Was his family unable or not allowed to act as his guardian? Why would the question of adoption be coming up if he had living parents? Possibly wrong questions to ask but I'm not familiar with this type of system at all. Around here, even if you have a child that needs to be in a care facility, you are still the parent/guardian. And anyone that told you you could not visit or speak with your own child would need to be providing alot of answers real quick. His family had to "schedule" visits with him?? So it sounds like either by natural causes or foul play, at some point Carl died and that was covered up so someone could keep receiving money from the state. Who owned the storage unit? Who was paying the rent on it? I noticed it was only 1/4 mile from the group facility. And gold stars to the agency taking over to alert the police as fast as they did that a resident was not accounted for! Otherwise, who knows how much longer this cover-up would have gone on. People that abuse children and animals go to a special place in hell. IMO, people unable to take care of themselves and the elderly are in the same category with children. :maddening:

You think human beings cannot sink any lower, and then you read a thread like this....

Your suffering is over, Carl.

An Open Letter about and to my brother Carl

Can you imagine being born into a world where your own family abuses you? Then on top of that you are disabled and everything is confusing to you? You’re moved from caregiver to another caregiver, all while trying to be loved and cared for, finally to end up being terminally harmed?

The people who were supposed to love Carl failed him. The system that was supposed to protect Carl, failed him. We cannot allow this to continue on. We cannot allow for the people who have abused and neglected their own children to continue to victimize him by pretending to be something they are not and gain financially from this horrific situation.

My name is Nate and Carl is my brother. There are a total of 5 of us siblings. Three of us were adopted out through foster care. Thank God and to my family for taking all three of us together, which I can promise you was never easy. However, we did get to stay together and be raised together. Many people who are adopted at some point in their life look to connect with siblings later on. I will never have that opportunity and I have to live with that. I have and will question why I didn’t try to do it sooner. The answer is, I didn’t want to be a part of our biological parent’s lives, whom most recently stole my social security number to obtain electric. Who does that? They do. In fact, I have heard they have done this recently to someone else along with abusing that person's benefits. I don’t have all the facts on that, so I will move on.

I am writing this open letter today because I learned recently that Carolyn and Larry have sought legal counsel to sue. They talked about this before Carl’s body was ever found. Hearing this infuriated me. How could they dare think they have a right to anything?

This shouldn’t be and isn’t about money, it is about justice for Carl and about bringing awareness to a situation I am afraid has happened too many times. The most vulnerable members of our society are easy targets and have fallen through the cracks. Let’s change this. Let’s not let Carl’s death be in vain. Let’s not allow his “family” to continue to use and abuse him.

A note to Carl in the heavens.

Carl buddy, I am sorry. I am sorry that while I was off living my life, bad things were happening to you. Carl, I am sorry that the parents that we were born to started our lives off in the most horrendous way. I am sorry Carl, I haven’t been there for you. I love you and I will do all good in your name! Be with Kim. We love you.

Your brother,

Nate

she probably did not know that he was dead, but she was not checking on him like she should have. she will be in deep doo doo and this whole thing will unravel a lot of stuff, I predict. untrained workers at the group home, prob no background checks, etc.

corporate world saving money....
RBBM.
I almost hate myself for even thinking this way, but I must say I'm really not all that convinced:
"The body of 31-year-old Carl DeBrodie may have been in a large storage container filled with cement for months, Fulton police Chief Steve Meyers said Wednesday." (BBM)
http://www.komu.com/news/body-of-missing-man-may-have-been-in-storage-container-for-months

The Callaway County primary elections were held on Aug. 2 of last year. After beating her opponent in the primary, Karen Digh Allen won the general election unopposed three months later:
http://www.fultonsun.com/news/local/story/2016/aug/03/callaway-county-primary-results/634218/
http://www.fultonsun.com/news/politics/story/2016/nov/09/callaway-county-election-results/647150/

According to her campaign FB page:
"About Me
I have proudly served as Callaway County Public Administrator for 20 years. I make decisions for 154 people with court-appointed guardianships or conservatorships. Some have dementia; some are developmentally disabled - with no one available to care for them. Some are mentally ill. Sixty-three have been charged with crimes, some violent, and are placed temporarily within Missouri's mental health system."
https://www.facebook.com/KDighAllen/

I wonder if she is involved at all in the selection process of care-providing agencies - deciding who gets a contract. I doubt that she would be directly involved - seems like there would be a conflict of interest.

I'm sure the litigation involving Carl cost the county a lot of money over the years, too.

I certainly wouldn't want Ms. Digh Allen making decision on my behalf.

I wonder if she is involved at all in the selection process of care-providing agencies - deciding who gets a contract. I doubt that she would be directly involved - seems like there would be a conflict of interest.

I'm sure the litigation involving Carl cost the county a lot of money over the years, too.

I lived in that town for many, many years and only recently moved away. I also have an adult child who is developmentally disabled and was in an ISL in that town so I understand the chain of command and the process one goes through when placement outside the family occurs.

At the top of the chain is the Missouri Department of Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities division. After that, there are about 5 regional centers throughout the state that oversee regions. In this case, that would be the Central Missouri Regional Center in Columbia, MO. Sometimes but not always there are community offices that oversee the case management of clients in a county or town. In this case, that would be the Callaway County Special Services. Under that would be contracted providers, such as Second Chance Homes.

Also, often, the homes the clients reside in are separate business entities than the company that provides the personal care employees that go in and care for the residents of a home. Sometimes the homes are HUD contracted to only provide care for the developmentally disabled and are non-profit while the outside company that provides the actual care are for profit and supply the employees who do the personal care paid for by Medicaid waivers. To avoid conflict of interest and to ensure a checks and balances system, the same person should not be in charge of both the HUD facility and the personal care company, but sometimes the same person runs both. I don't know if that was the case in Carl Debrodie's ISL, but it was in my child's.

Because Carl was already in placement before she became guardian, Karen Digh-Allen likely had to offer no decision making in his placement. From personal experience, when the public administrator is guardian, they do little more than paperwork. I don't know how much, if any, interaction they have with the people they serve as guardian for. The placement decision making is based on a few factors, but mostly on who has an open spot to take someone when placement is needed. I know that sounds awful, but it is what I was told when we dealt with the Central MO Regional Center and the Callaway County Special Services.

Just FYI: My son is now back home and living with me. Our experience with ISL there was not good. I won't go into details but will say, from my own personal experience in that area, I believe Carl's family when they say they were cut off from contact with him after reporting abuse.

It looks like the Missouri Department of Mental Health is the entity that contracted services with Second Chance Homes.

"Debra Walker, spokeswoman for the Missouri Department of Mental Health, which contracted services with Second Chance since 2005, said in an email that the company ran three group homes in Fulton, none of which are still in operation."

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news...rator-advised-not-to-comment-on-debrodie-case

This case is a sad representation of the times we live in. I can say this being a parent of both a son who is a combat veteran, and another son who is a special needs caregiver.

Our society doesn't want to think of the things which strike us as unpleasant. we tend to sweep it all under a rug. sure, it gets some attention but the subject is quickly swapped to something of a more joyous nature.
You would not believe the hoops and rings of fire you have to jump through to get even the most basic appointment through the VA.
Seems the same is true with the special needs -mentally challenged group. Funding for these areas is being severely cut in most states. Nobody cares.

Reading earlier (forgive me if I am incorrect in my post) the state case manager has a workload of 500 cases.

let me tell you, I once had a workload of 390 machines which normally ran great, however it kept me jumping, sometimes even overtime.

I cannot imagine having a workload of 500 special needs people to manage. There is no physical way I can even imagine to be effective at this. You would have to take the word of others, sign the paper and go on. Once a month face to face meetings? How could that be? I'm not all that good at mathing, but--

This is an outrage which must be addressed for Carl, and others sake. From the roots up this tree has rotted. The leaves and twigs will take the blame, as always.

My son is a caregiver in the state which this happened. I am proud of him. He is not motivated by $$ at all, and truly loves the personal reward, and loves the people he cares for. For these reasons, I think he's stuck in his career. attention to numbers is what it takes to advance in this field. Sad, huh?

RBBM.
I almost hate myself for even thinking this way, but I must say I'm really not all that convinced:
"The body of 31-year-old Carl DeBrodie may have been in a large storage container filled with cement for months, Fulton police Chief Steve Meyers said Wednesday." (BBM)
http://www.komu.com/news/body-of-missing-man-may-have-been-in-storage-container-for-months

The Callaway County primary elections were held on Aug. 2 of last year. After beating her opponent in the primary, Karen Digh Allen won the general election unopposed three months later:
http://www.fultonsun.com/news/local/story/2016/aug/03/callaway-county-primary-results/634218/
http://www.fultonsun.com/news/politics/story/2016/nov/09/callaway-county-election-results/647150/

According to her campaign FB page:
"About Me
I have proudly served as Callaway County Public Administrator for 20 years. I make decisions for 154 people with court-appointed guardianships or conservatorships. Some have dementia; some are developmentally disabled - with no one available to care for them. Some are mentally ill. Sixty-three have been charged with crimes, some violent, and are placed temporarily within Missouri's mental health system."
https://www.facebook.com/KDighAllen/

I can't process this. Any of this.
Is there a detailed timeline for this young man?

I mean, is this as horrendous as it seems? I don't know much about guardianship but why was Ms. Martin not allowed to adopt him?

Geez.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

It seems that there must have been a reason for the State to refer his case to new caregivers prior to April 17. Seems someone knew something was amiss before, thus putting out the referral.

"After accepting a referral from Department of Mental Health, Finck Supported Living Services assumed care for the developmentally disabled individuals living at*298 Claymine Drive on April 17. When we arrived, Carl Lee DeBrodie was not present or transitioned to our care.*We are cooperating with law enforcement and state officials to assist as appropriate. Our first responsibility, of course, is to care for the individuals who still reside at the residence."

Thus according to Columbia Tribune article. Lost the link. Will find it again

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/20170427/former-caregiver-speaks-out-about-fulton-mans-care

JMO

****PRESS RELEASE****

On 04/28/2017 the Fulton Police Department was notified by the Boone/Callaway County Medical Examiners Office that the deceased body located on 04/24/2017 was positively identified as Carl L DeBrodie.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

An Open Letter about and to my brother Carl

Can you imagine being born into a world where your own family abuses you? Then on top of that you are disabled and everything is confusing to you? You’re moved from caregiver to another caregiver, all while trying to be loved and cared for, finally to end up being terminally harmed?

The people who were supposed to love Carl failed him. The system that was supposed to protect Carl, failed him. We cannot allow this to continue on. We cannot allow for the people who have abused and neglected their own children to continue to victimize him by pretending to be something they are not and gain financially from this horrific situation.

My name is Nate and Carl is my brother. There are a total of 5 of us siblings. Three of us were adopted out through foster care. Thank God and to my family for taking all three of us together, which I can promise you was never easy. However, we did get to stay together and be raised together. Many people who are adopted at some point in their life look to connect with siblings later on. I will never have that opportunity and I have to live with that. I have and will question why I didn’t try to do it sooner. The answer is, I didn’t want to be a part of our biological parent’s lives, whom most recently stole my social security number to obtain electric. Who does that? They do. In fact, I have heard they have done this recently to someone else along with abusing that person's benefits. I don’t have all the facts on that, so I will move on.

I am writing this open letter today because I learned recently that Carolyn and Larry have sought legal counsel to sue. They talked about this before Carl’s body was ever found. Hearing this infuriated me. How could they dare think they have a right to anything?

This shouldn’t be and isn’t about money, it is about justice for Carl and about bringing awareness to a situation I am afraid has happened too many times. The most vulnerable members of our society are easy targets and have fallen through the cracks. Let’s change this. Let’s not let Carl’s death be in vain. Let’s not allow his “family” to continue to use and abuse him.

A note to Carl in the heavens.

Carl buddy, I am sorry. I am sorry that while I was off living my life, bad things were happening to you. Carl, I am sorry that the parents that we were born to started our lives off in the most horrendous way. I am sorry Carl, I haven’t been there for you. I love you and I will do all good in your name! Be with Kim. We love you.

Your brother,

Nate

This is Carl's brother. He posted on FB his name is Nathan Clark. This happened in my county and we all want answer

****PRESS RELEASE****

On 04/28/2017 the Fulton Police Department was notified by the Boone/Callaway County Medical Examiners Office that the deceased body located on 04/24/2017 was positively identified as Carl L DeBrodie.

Sent from my XT1526 using Tapatalk

:grouphug:

I am surprised it has not been disclosed who rented the storage space where Carl's remains were found. A subpoena was filed. Isn't that a public record?

As much as I appreciate the open letter above to Carl, I do not think the Family dynamics has played a part in his death which is what we are discussing here. Nearly every family has discord between themselves for whatever reason. Many cannot even make it through Thanksgiving dinner. For the family to express those at this time seems inappropriate to me. I feel these dynamics may have played a part in restricting family visits as to not create chaos around Carl or place him a position to pick sides in the Family.

JMO

I am surprised it has not been disclosed who rented the storage space where Carl's remains were found. A subpoena was filed. Isn't that a public record?

As much as I appreciate the open letter above to Carl, I do not think the Family dynamics has played a part in his death which is what we are discussing here. Nearly every family has discord between themselves for whatever reason. Many cannot even make it through Thanksgiving dinner. For the family to express those at this time seems inappropriate to me. I feel these dynamics may have played a part in restricting family visits as to not create chaos around Carl or place him a position to pick sides in the Family.

JMO
I agree with you about the family. It does sound like, from the brother's letter, they may have not had the best parents, right? However, I think this "home" is directly responsible for Carl's death. I'm also thinking the storage unit is rented by either the group home or an individual who works there.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alwaysseeking