GUILTY MO - Carl DeBrodie, 31, Fulton, disabled, beaten to death, encased in concrete, 17 Apr 2017 *Arrests

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Another recent article on the case, published by the same station as the one posted by jggordo:

"Prosecutor: DeBrodie case most complex of career"
Jordana Marie
Posted: Jul 07, 2017 04:39 PM CDT
Updated: Jul 07, 2017 06:26 PM CDT
"[Callaway County Prosecutor, Chris] Wilson said the U.S. attorney general's office has started to look at the federal aspect of the case. It's been confirmed a case worker who was tasked with meeting with DeBrodie face-to-face on a monthly basis was not doing so despite filing reports stating otherwise.

Wilson said the death investigation is still active and ongoing. He said he meets once or twice a week with detectives to stay updated on the case but his office has not been handed the case.

Part of the delay, Wilson said, involved test results. Wilson said every case is different and the toxicology for this case was more extensive than usual. He also mentioned there was a forensic anthropologist involved."
More at link: http://www.abc17news.com/news/prosecutor-debrodie-case-most-complex-of-career/580412435

Excellent timeline, also published last week:
http://www.abc17news.com/news/the-case-of-carl-debrodie-timeline-of-events/577129714

The thing that irks me is that ABC 17 continues to interview the same investigator(s) who say they have handed over investigation results to the Prosecutor. Yet nobody goes the Prosecutor to ask where it stands now. All these months and nobody even charged with abandoning his corpse in that storage facility. Records should show when the home stopped preparing meals for him or giving him his meds.

JMO's

Mother files wrongful death suit

The lawsuit alleges eight counts: wrongful death, three civil rights violations, two civil conspiracies, negligence and right of sepulcher. It names the group home, state and county agencies, and several individuals as defendants.

Summers is seeking $25,000 in damages and court costs.

No arrests have been made in connection with the case. Prosecutors said results of DeBrodie's autopsy will be kept confidential as an investigation continues.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/3...ed-in-concrete-files-wrongful-death-suit.html

Mother files wrongful death suit

The lawsuit alleges eight counts: wrongful death, three civil rights violations, two civil conspiracies, negligence and right of sepulcher. It names the group home, state and county agencies, and several individuals as defendants.

Summers is seeking $25,000 in damages and court costs.

No arrests have been made in connection with the case. Prosecutors said results of DeBrodie's autopsy will be kept confidential as an investigation continues.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/3...ed-in-concrete-files-wrongful-death-suit.html

IMO she should have asked for a lot more!

This case is so close to me. About 45 minutes away and it still just eats away at me that it happened and there are no clear answers.

Welcome to WS, KDM92, and thank you for your input.

I think of Carl often. I am particularly affected by cases where the victim’s vulnerability is taken advantage of, and that’s exactly what happened to Carl, IMO.

On a separate note, I noticed those named in the suit include four John Does. Could they possibly be some of the other residents at the group home, and if so, what did they do?

I’m glad that Carl’s mom is taking a legal action. Hopefully, it’s soon to be followed by criminal charges.

http://www.fultonsun.com/news/local...s-mother-files-wrongful-death-lawsuit/711252/

IMO she should have asked for a lot more!

I believe the lawsuit has less to do about money and more to do with getting at "discovery evidence". Since the evidence was all turned over to the Callaway County Prosecutor it has been there for nearly a year now. Most of these defendants are Callaway Courts, Attorneys and other officials. It is like the County investigating itself, and to me with little to no results. IMO they have been stonewalling any media requests for details.

I also believe someone should ask the MO Attorney General to step in and appoint a special Prosecutor and Judge that has no conflicts of interest. In any case the Civil litigation should open the can of worms and be more transparent. I only hope they have a good and diligent attorney.

JMO

Callaway County may need outside legal help for DeBrodie lawsuit

Rudolph Veit, the lawyer for the DeBrodie family, told ABC 17 News that Wilson has kept the family informed along the way. Filing the lawsuit allows them to begin questioning people they believe were involved in DeBrodie's death.
"Through thorough depositions, find out truly what happened in this case," Veit said.

Wilson and other investigators are reviewing more than 25,000 documents related to DeBrodie's death. Fulton police Chief Steve Myers told ABC 17 News in November he was confident they performed a thorough investigation, and was also awaiting a decision from Wilson on criminal charges.

www.abc17news.com/news/callaway-county-may-need-outside-legal-help-for-debrodie-lawsuit/694739579

I believe the lawsuit has less to do about money and more to do with getting at "discovery evidence". Since the evidence was all turned over to the Callaway County Prosecutor it has been there for nearly a year now. Most of these defendants are Callaway Courts, Attorneys and other officials. It is like the County investigating itself, and to me with little to no results. IMO they have been stonewalling any media requests for details.

I also believe someone should ask the MO Attorney General to step in and appoint a special Prosecutor and Judge that has no conflicts of interest. In any case the Civil litigation should open the can of worms and be more transparent. I only hope they have a good and diligent attorney.

JMO
Oh I agree too. My statement was more about the atrocity of this case.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Callaway County Prosecuting Attorney continues to seek justice for Carl DeBrodie

CALLAWAY COUNTY, Mo. - The Callaway County Prosecuting Attorney, Christopher Wilson, released a statement on Thursday about the death investigation of Carl DeBrodie.

Wilson said he has "every intention of honoring his ethical obligation, preserving the integrity of the investigation and respecting DeBrodie's family by keeping them informed of developments in the case."

www.abc17news.com/news/callaway-cou...s-to-seek-justice-for-carl-debrodie/695075742

Spoken like a true politician. JMO

"I’ll never believe that anything other than murder happened to Carl. Ever," said Rebecca Summers, DeBrodie's cousin.

"He had been deceased for 12 months prior to April; we do know that," Summers said.

http://www.komu.com/news/family-members-of-carl-debrodie-question-progress-of-investigation

Oooohhh how did I miss this case? I ran community homes (group homes) for a very long time. This is so inexcusable.

What is probably most confusing to me is that people with disabilities have rights above and beyond the rest of us. And when you are in a state monitored home (which is usually medicaid funded), they are QUICK to investigate and take serious action. Here in Louisiana, I had a direct line with a direct contact to the detective in the attorney general office. If I called him with an abuse case that was substantiated, he would come arrest that staff member right in front of the other staff. He was bad azz and I loved him! I wanted my staff to know I had ZERO tolerance for any mistreatment of the people we care for. So, why hasn't this been on the fast track to action?? Maybe they are taking their time to get it right, but many people should already be in jail. From the workers who would have to be documenting his daily living activities to the manager who clearly knows he wasn't there to the administrators who are required to know everything to the biller for billing for a client who was not receiving services to the advocate who has the ultimate authority, even over the group home. There is no "they didn't return my calls". A court appointed advocate is the legal authority for that person. Nothing can be done without their approval. If they show up at 3am to see the client, they get to see the client. It's that simple. This case really frustrates me. I'm so sorry for him. He should have been shown love.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Oooohhh how did I miss this case? I ran community homes (group homes) for a very long time. This is so inexcusable.

What is probably most confusing to me is that people with disabilities have rights above and beyond the rest of us. And when you are in a state monitored home (which is usually medicaid funded), they are QUICK to investigate and take serious action. Here in Louisiana, I had a direct line with a direct contact to the detective in the attorney general office. If I called him with an abuse case that was substantiated, he would come arrest that staff member right in front of the other staff. He was bad azz and I loved him! I wanted my staff to know I had ZERO tolerance for any mistreatment of the people we care for. So, why hasn't this been on the fast track to action?? Maybe they are taking their time to get it right, but many people should already be in jail. From the workers who would have to be documenting his daily living activities to the manager who clearly knows he wasn't there to the administrators who are required to know everything to the biller for billing for a client who was not receiving services to the advocate who has the ultimate authority, even over the group home. There is no "they didn't return my calls". A court appointed advocate is the legal authority for that person. Nothing can be done without their approval. If they show up at 3am to see the client, they get to see the client. It's that simple. This case really frustrates me. I'm so sorry for him. He should have been shown love.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe they are taking their time to get it right -- I think this is the reason it feels lie it's taking too long for action, but I do believe they want to leave no stone unturned. The system completely failed this young man.

Of course they did. Maybe the plaintiff will need to amend / refine the complaint. I am guessing they are in the early stages of discovery now, and maybe the defense is pushing to see all of the plaintiff's cards once the motion is denied. Dunno.

Eta: looks like the defense asked for an extension and had to respond by 3/30.
98db1be4698b97be20629f6a23e93813.jpg

https://www.courts.mo.gov/casenet/base/welcome.do

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member