MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
petresq algc,

You may never know just how positively your actions have affected that young ladys life. Hats off to you and your daughter :)

I too have found myself "adopting" neighborhood kids when I see them foundering. I wish more people could see their way to get involved with those in need they see around them.

NOTE: one advantage to being the "house all the neighbor kids want to hang at" - you always know where your kids are, who they hang with, and what is what on the block, lol

I just read that the death of the teacher was not related- that he had been terminally ill and had just reached the point where he couldn't take it anymore.

Also, I want to know where the suspect's family is now? If they live just a few houses away from the victim, did they stay? Can you even imagine being that close to the evil? Have they shown any sympathy to or ahd any contact with Elizabeth's family since this tragedy? I'm sure no one has these answers, but have any of you wondered the same thing?

PS. I'm a long time lurker here ever since Caylee Anthony...

Welcome out of lurk mode my dear.

You do raise some very interesting points. All of which I had the answers to.

"But in this girl's case, I honestly think they should go with a bench trial."

Definitely. A bench trial is in order here.

Keep doing what you are doing! This little girl will always remember that in someone's eyes she had value. Girls need that more than men need sex, IMO.

Thank you! She's a wonderful girl. I do a lot of animal rescue and help to rehab abused animals. She has expressed interest in volunteering. She says that she feels a connection with them because she knows what it is like to go through hell. It breaks my heart.

Okay, dagnabit, how when responding to a comment do you get the person's name to whom you are responding to appear at the top of your post? I thought "quck reply" would do that but it is not. Is there a shortcut so that you do not need to type out the original poster's name before responding?

I wonder if AB has contact with her parents and what chance this was some kind of revenge killing.

I suppose it is possible-but what are the chances an emo or goth rebellious teen would listen to her incarcarated parents enough to kill a 9 year old child?

I really wonder why she killed her. What was so bad she felt like she couldnt take it back?

Okay, dagnabit, how when responding to a comment do you get the person's name to whom you are responding to appear at the top of your post? I thought "quck reply" would do that but it is not. Is there a shortcut so that you do not need to type out the original poster's name before responding?

Try using the "Quote" button at the bottom of the post you are responding to. :)

Tricia,

Did you and Marc Klaas make it over to meet Elizabeth's family? I remember reading your comment that the two of you were in the area last weekend.

I'm sure he would love to keep her name out of the media because he knows as well as we do that this case is going to explode when the facts are out there for all the world to see. I think that is why NG is all over it now, so she is first in line.

Yea, I agree. But it seems he's trying to blame public opinion for her fate. She chose her actions and those actions have consequences. Like he's trying to "harness the horse after the wagon".

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but the guy's attitude bothers me somehow. :banghead:

Thanks folks, I thought I was doing that but I may have been hitting quick respond intead. Tis what I get for trying to work and follow the thread at same time.

:banghead: Doooh! good point - any idea how to get more of this country's parents enrolled? Unfortunately, lots of parent are absence and grandparents often are not equiped to handle raising kids in this day and age.

O/T I propose that a national program is started that says all high school students must complete one or two semesters of early childhood parenting before they can graduate. Babies need so much attention and love in their very early years and sometimes parents just don't know that. Not everyone was raised by a good parent, so they have no frame of reference. Maybe it would help cut down on teen pregnancies also. BUT whether a teen has decided to have children or not, chances are they will come into contact with children at some point in their lives. They need to know how to act appropriately. This is simplistic, I know, but I think it would be a huge start in the right direction.

Salem

My son needs his laptop now..I'll check in later when I can! {{{HUGS}}}

Try this one above...I'm sick to my stomach if this turns out to be true...

Sadly, I know at least part of it to be true. I haven't said much because of the rumor issue but my information came from a very reliable source. This was a horrible, brutal killing.

O/T I propose that a national program is started that says all high school students must complete one or two semesters of early childhood parenting before they can graduate. Babies need so much attention and love in their very early years and sometimes parents just don't know that. Not everyone was raised by a good parent, so they have no frame of reference. Maybe it would help cut down on teen pregnancies also. BUT whether a teen has decided to have children or not, chances are they will come into contact with children at some point in their lives. They need to know how to act appropriately. This is simplistic, I know, but I think it would be a huge start in the right direction.

Salem

I had such a class that was required when I was in high school in the 70s and it DID help me when I was a parent! I was raised in a home where dad was an alcoholic. I learned a lot from that class and I'm sure my boys benefited greatly from my experience there. GREAT IDEA!!!

Okay, now I really have to go! LOL

Salem

I think that is an excellent idea! Of course, as it makes such sense, I am sure it hasn't got a snowball's chance in h*ll of happening.

Another thought is, when children are removed from their parents, it is not enough to put them into a foster home or with gramma n grandpa, why is it not mandatory that the child then be monitored closely, placed into immediate counseling? We all know the corrolation between children who are "in the system" (dcfs) and children who go on to stay in the system (prison).

I wonder if AB has contact with her parents and what chance this was some kind of revenge killing.

I suppose it is possible-but what are the chances an emo or goth rebellious teen would listen to her incarcarated parents enough to kill a 9 year old child?

I really wonder why she killed her. What was so bad she felt like she couldnt take it back?

believe - I go back to the twitter comment that said something like "waiting for a reason for all this pain". I'm just quoting from memory, so I might have the actual words wrong, but I really think this girl was hurt inside - lonely, lost and felt unloved. I think these feelings probably started for her when she was very young, and that her time at her GP's was just not long enough to counteract the emptiness she felt inside. I think this girl needed counseling, starting way back when - probably within days of her birth...... I think she had a very neglectful mom who left her on her own from the moment of her birth. She reminds me, so far, very much of KC.

So very sad - the whole mess.

Salem

Yea, I agree. But it seems he's trying to blame public opinion for her fate. She chose her actions and those actions have consequences. Like he's trying to "harness the horse after the wagon".

Maybe I'm just splitting hairs, but the guy's attitude bothers me somehow. :banghead:

I hear you, but wouldn't let it eat at me, gliving. Sounds like your basic "Defense Attorney 101" legalese that helps Nancy fill an hour every night.

Also, I want to know where the suspect's family is now? If they live just a few houses away from the victim, did they stay? Can you even imagine being that close to the evil? Have they shown any sympathy to or ahd any contact with Elizabeth's family since this tragedy? I'm sure no one has these answers, but have any of you wondered the same thing?

No, they did not stay and I am sure it was out of respect for the Olten family, to avoid the media and for the protection of the younger sister and brothers. Their houses are close and the boys were friends.

I do not know the grandparents but it is my understanding they are good people and that they have tried to discipline and raise AB to the best of their ability. That's all we can ask of anyone.

It is my personal belief that AB has a serious mental illness. She should not be treated with any leniency because of it, but it helps to explain this horrible, senseless act.

From a news paper from June 14, 2005
The following are items of interest about Jefferson City area young people.
President's Award for
Educational Excellence
This award was started to help students achieve academically by rewarding them.
Only students in the exit grade are eligible for this award.
They must earn a 3.5 or better grade point average and achieve in the 85th percentile or higher in math or reading on a standardized test.
Among the list of sudents who got this award was AB. She seems to be a bright kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member