MO - Elizabeth Olten, 9, St Martin's, 21 Oct 2009 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not familiar with the area that this took place but I was under the impression that it was rather rural. Since AB didn't drive and the kids all took buses to school, how far would it have been for her to walk to where the bf or other friends hung out? Was this possible or would she have needed a ride to hang out with friends?

It would be a long, long walk to JCHS from her home in St Martins. I would guess somewhere over 10 miles.

Great points. I'm surprised LE didn't allow him to see his father, did heads roll over that once this case came up?

The appeal just got heard today at the CA Supreme Court level. Their decision will be back in 90 days. The fact that the appeal made it to this level indicates that maybe there are some who are worried about potentially being tossed under the bus as it were, if the CA Supremes decide that requesting a parent is the juvenile equivalent of invoking the Miranda rights.

Does anyone here know if POI was questioned with a guardian present/if POI requested same during questioning?

The appeal just got heard today at the CA Supreme Court level. Their decision will be back in 90 days. The fact that the appeal made it to this level indicates that maybe there are some who are worried about potentially being tossed under the bus as it were, if the CA Supremes decide that requesting a parent is the juvenile equivalent of invoking the Miranda rights.

Does anyone here know if POI was questioned with a guardian present/if POI requested same during questioning?

I don't know the answer to that but I suspect since ILC told us that the FBI requested a meeting with her that they would be professional enough to make sure she had the appropriate legal representation. At least I hope they did!

But then I read he wasn't AB's teacher...so then I wondered if he was a past teacher that she felt bonded to? ILC didn't think the two incidents were related at all.

This situation is bad enough...I sure hope ILC is right!

I am local. The two incidents are not related. The teacher had cancer and had recently received a very poor prognosis.

Finally caught up for now.... it's so interesting to read what K said about AB and how inconsiderate and self-serving she is. Even when I was 15 (or anyone else I knew) we would at least respond when someone was upset with us... but in her case it seems like she just ignored her completely. Didn't even give her the time of day, according to K. Whoever brought up AB having RAD, I think you're right.

I just have to ask is there only one LE officer in Jefferson City who works 9-5 M-F? Is his name Barney Fife? Many of the ideas proposed just are not logical. If I lived there I would be moving as fast as I could get to U-Haul because the LE was majorly outsmarted by a 15 year old.

It is my understanding that the sheriff had jurisdiction and he was running the investigation. I am sure that a deputy sheriff(s) were first on the scene Wednesday night.

The Missouri State Highway Patrol (MSHP) and FBI were also there. MSHP's headquarters is in Jefferson City, so all of their experts would have been available if requested.

I was reading the following and wonder if a search warrant would have been required if the homeowner agreed to the search without a warrant?

If LE asks and you give permission, it is not an illegal search.

Also, As to people wondering about search warrants. The only search warrant used on the house was served quite some time after the press conference friday (around 3:00) I only know this because my friend was the one who recieved the search warrant. (AB E and the GP's were with LE at that time)

The sheriff's dept supposedly said the search warrant was unrelated to the EO case.

No I slipped and fell and bruised my spinal cord. This was the third surgery that I have had and the DR told me if I take another blow to the neck I very likely would not walk again.
I hated to face that reality but I would never do anything at work to put my fellow officers in harms way by not being able to assist them. I have 2 small grandkids that I want to spoil too. Thanks for asking.

You made a wise choice and yes, there's nothing like grandchildren. I spoil mine as well. How many years did you work as a CO?

Here's my take for what it's worth. I think EO did something to totally tick off AB. It could be that EO saw something she did or something that AB or the boyfriend did to EO. EO threatened to tell, AB was upset, scared, or even jealous of something or someone who was giving EO attention, and AB killed her to protect herself or her bf. It would be interesting to see if the bf has a criminal record or if he's ever been suspected of child endangerment. This is one sick world we live in and with the abundance of child *advertiser censored* on the internet, child predators are everywhere and all ages. Just my thoughts...

No one agreed that this is a possibility? I find it too hard to believe that she took a life for the thrill. I have a feeling there was a 'reason' for the crime. To plan it tells me she knew what she was doing and why. Also, from all the pics I've seen of EO, she was a little cutie and she may have gotten more attention from people and AB could have been jealous of her. Maybe she was even jealous the EO had a mom and she didn't (not one in her everyday life.)

they did say that one morning on the news, and got destroyed for it. In fact, that statement never even made past the 6 am news. Now they are back to denying a search warrant existed. I will say for a fact that one did, and one was served at the house friday sometime around 3, why it was served I have no clue, but I've been lead to believe that it was because of the case.

Well, if it was related to the case, did they search something that belonged to your friend inside the house?

I'm wiped out...between this case and baby Shannon's case...

I'll see all of you tomorrow! :grouphug:

alien-smiley-126.gif

Actually they didn't search anything of his, that he was aware of, and he said the warrant wasn't for anything of his. He said he knew what the warrant was for and that he didn't want to discuss it in anymore detail. Which leads me to believe that the warrant was for a murder weapon.

If the warrant came in at 3 on Friday, after the press conference and after they apparently had POI in custody... one supposes that at that point they had the diary already (premeditation) and were looking for implements used in the act, supporting ILC's view above. If GPs invited a search earlier which turned up diary, then warrant on Fri means they were looking for rather specific evidence.

ILC, many thanks.

Actually they didn't search anything of his, that he was aware of, and he said the warrant wasn't for anything of his. He said he knew what the warrant was for and that he didn't want to discuss it in anymore detail. Which leads me to believe that the warrant was for a murder weapon.

No surprises if she tried to throw evidence onto someone else in or frequent to the household. Does the rest of the family feel safe? Hopefully they are not getting any kind of threats.

When I heard about the teacher, I too, thought that the written evidence could have been something in a writing assignment.

I've been lurking, and am truly confused by this teacher. So Wed E goes missing, by fri she is found and POI in custody. These poor kids are already dazed and confused. If he truly cared for his students, regardless of his own health concerns, WTF would he commit suicide on mon and add more heartache and stress to these kids-- on top of what they are going through. IMHO! Am i the only one thinking this was this a totally selfish act?

So was it an arrest warrant or a search warrant?

Out of curiosity, I googled to see what statements were released ----

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) Monday, October 26, 2009 at 5:04 p.m.
-- "Police served a warrant at a neighbor's house just hours after finding the body of a 9-year-old Missouri girl. The Cole County Sheriff's Department served the warrant Friday night just several homes south of where Elizabeth Olten lived in St. Martins. Records don't indicate the type of warrant, and the department refused to comment Monday."

Associated Press - October 27, 2009 4:34 PM ET - "The Cole County Sheriff's Department served the warrant Friday night just hours after the body of Elizabeth Olten was discovered. The department said Tuesday the warrant was related to a traffic stop, not to the girl's death."

Tuesday, October 27, 2009 | 4:04 p.m. CDT
Columbia Missourian "JEFFERSON CITY — Authorities in mid-Missouri say a warrant served at a home in the neighborhood where a 9-year-old girl was found dead this past week was unrelated to the killing."

Chris Blank, The Associated Press, October 28, 2009 Springfield News Leader - "Sheriff's officials said Tuesday that a warrant served near a neighbor's house just hours after Elizabeth's body was found is unrelated to the case. The department said it was an arrest warrant that came during a traffic stop."

MEAT LOAF shoot at this point I would take anything with a little bit of substance to it. We are all going to turn into soup noodles. lol
Everyone has had their round of being sick. The sad thing is the first one that got sick is now sick again. I can't handle another two and a half weeks like the last two and a half. It's one thing to take care of three sick kids, five, two, and five months, its another to take care of three sick kids when you yourself feel like the soul of a shoe!

Keep your fingers crossed for me! lol

Hope everyone starts feeling better soon.

I am going to log off now. I just felt the need to clear up rumors concerning the GP's and anyone else in that house. I feel my job is done and I will not be returning.

Thank you so much for giving light to everything from a personal aspect. I am sorry everyone is going through all of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manipulikka