MO - Furious Friends Demand Answers After 3 Men Found Dead at Kansas City Home Days After Watching Football Game, January 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Possible CoD? Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

Is it possible that one or all three men entered the shed (shown in backyard, on rental listing pix) to get out out the weather and used an appliance such as a propane heater to keep warm? Or other source, e.g., wood-burning stoves, internal combustion vehicle exhaust, electrical generator?

And died of carbon monoxide poisoning?

Depending on concentration of carbon monoxide, death can occur w'in a few minutes or a few hours.

"Symptoms are often described as "flu-like" and commonly include headache, dizziness, weakness, vomiting, chest pain, and confusion. Large exposures can result in loss of consciousness, arrhythmias, seizures, or death."*

Just spitballing, nothing specific to support this possibility.
- "Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes."
-"Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes."
- "Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes."

Why would they do any of this? I don’t understand anything about this case. <modsnip>
So what were they doing there, except watching a football game? It’s beyond my comprehension.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it have been an outdoor butane heater? Not sure how enclosed the backyard is but I know they have those heaters for outside for smokers and stuff. Could it have malfunctioned and they were poisoned with carbon monoxide?

JMO
Possibility but why wouldn't the resident of the home die as well?

I haven't seen this discussed yet. According to the Inside Edition article, the deceased and the home's resident had known each other since high school.

Weirder and weirder.

Anyone Else at House That Day?
That's a pretty big house for one guy. There's four bedrooms. I'm still not sure whether the person who lives there is a renter or an owner. If he is the renter, he's paying a premium, rent-wise, for being the only resident. I've heard of renters who turn the home into an informal bar/club charging a fee or an AirBnB renting it out to people for exorbitant rates. I suppose an owner could do that on the sly, too, especially if the zoning wouldn't allow someone to turn their home into a commercial venture or there are limitations as to how often you can sublet. Are we sure that the three deceased and the tenant/owner were the only individuals at the home on Sunday, January 7th?
@branmuffin Good question about others at house.
I've not yet read or heard about any one else, but seems like early days for that to surface.

I also wondered about house being used as airb&b, vrbo, etc.

From my earlier post:
FWIW, resident may have moved in during past summer, as hotpads.com states: "This pad was taken off the market on 07/12/23." Well, for rental anyway.
ETA: link to rental listing

IIRC, house was last sold in 2021.

ETA: Looking more closely at price history on realtor.com, not clear to me whether in Mar. 2021 prop was actually sold or just removed the rental listing even tho it says "sold."
And it shows it was listed for rent even before 2021.

Last edited:
Carbon Monoxide? Maybe in Backyard Shed?
Could it have been an outdoor butane heater? Not sure how enclosed the backyard is but I know they have those heaters for outside for smokers and stuff. Could it have malfunctioned and they were poisoned with carbon monoxide?
JMO
@asmi106082 That thought crossed my mind.

And iiuc, an appliance does not need to malfunction to cause CarbMon illness or death, at least when it's operated in a structure or semi-enclosed place. Like a shed, where maybe a few men are gathered, w no or little ventilation? IDK.

Sorry to repeat myself, but....

Depending on concentration of carbon monoxide, death can occur w'in a few minutes or a few hours.

See more at

Last edited:
@branmuffin Good question about others at house.
I've not yet read or heard about any one else, but seems like early days for that to surface

We don't have any reason to think there WEREN'T others there that day, do we?

And what about @sunshineray's post on the previous page that the property was listed as an apartment with four bedrooms for rent?

I don't know if that's real or not, it was JMO with no link provided, but if true it would seem possible if not probable that more than one resident of the house would have been at home?

MOO asking questions, no assumptions about the answers

Others at House? Rental Terms?
We don't have any reason to think there WEREN'T others there that day, do we?
And what about @sunshineray's post on the previous page that the property was listed as an apartment with four bedrooms for rent?
I don't know if that's real or not, it was JMO with no link provided, but if true it would seem possible if not probable that more than one resident of the house would have been at home?
MOO asking questions, no assumptions about the answers
@Auntie Cipation Your post makes good points as usual.
No assumptions on my part either.

Re other post saying "listed as an apartment with four bedrooms for rent." IDK whether listing indicated -
- EACH of the 4 bedrooms could be rented separately (like college students?), or
- merely that the house for rent has 4 BRs.
IDK. Could have been either, up for interp.

Rental listing at
If avail for separate rental by 4 tenants, ea w separate bedroom plus communal kitchen, etc, I missed it.

Others at House?

@Auntie Cipation Your post makes good points as usual.
No assumptions on my part either.

Re other post saying "listed as an apartment with four bedrooms for rent." IDK whether listing indicated -
- EACH of the 4 bedrooms could be rented separately (like college students?), or
- merely that the house for rent has 4 BRs.
IDK. Could have been either, up for interp.

Rental listing at
If avail for separate rental by 4 tenants, ea w separate bedroom plus communal kitchen, etc, I missed it.
I think I see the problem I was having. I read OP as saying it was listed as an apartment, which doesn't fit but made me think four separate rental agreements (like the student house in the Kohberger case). But what OP actually said was it was listed "on an apartment site" (apartments . com), presumably for the reason you mentioned, that potential tenants could use the house in that way.

And as others have said, that would be a huge house for one person.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Rental Terms. Again.
I think I see the problem I was having. I read OP as saying it was listed as an apartment, which doesn't fit but made me think four separate rental agreements (like the student house in the Kohberger case). But what OP actually said was it was listed "on an apartment site" (apartments . com), presumably for the reason you mentioned, that potential tenants could use the house in that way.
And as others have said, that would be a huge house for one person.
Curiouser and curiouser.
@Auntie Cipation Thanks for your post.

Wording of the OP you ref'ed to prompted me to go to the rental listing itself.
ICBWrong, but imo rental listing was for whole house.

Last edited:
Better Pix of House & Property?
There are two huge trees in the back yard as well as rows of ornamental grasses across the back fence. It's almost impossible to see anything from an aerial view because of the trees. The house next door has a very bare back yard.
@branmuffin I had a tough time trying to make sense of layout w MSM pix. Ditto, w google earth overhead/birdseye pix. Trees were leafed out.

Try a peek at rental listing pix* w lots of windows overlooking backyard, w SHED.
Also a couple big old deciduous trees w NO LEAVES then. Likely leafless now too. Plus some grass & a line of tall grass/shrubs along rear prop line.

Were bodies found in shed or behind it? Or in/behind tall grass/shrubs? IDK.

Last edited:

@branmuffin I had a tough time trying to make sense if layout w MSM pix. Ditto, w google earth overhead/birdseye pix. Trees were leafed out.

Try peek at rental listing pix* w lots of windows overlooking backyard, w SHED.
Also a couple big old deciduous trees w NO LEAVES then. Likely leafless now too. Plus some grass & a line of tall grass/shrubs along rear prop line.

Yeah, the house has a weird layout. It's possible that a single guy may rarely go upstairs if all their needs are on the first floor - the kitchen the living room, a bathroom probably and access to the garage. Looking out the windows on the ground floor may not show visuals of the back porch or areas closer to the house. If there were piles of leaves in the back yard covered with snow you wouldn't think, "hey that looks like a dead body out back". Plus with the dogs not being home he wouldn't have to let them out to go pee. So that element of the dogs discovering the bodies is missing, too.

@branmuffin I had a tough time trying to make sense if layout w MSM pix. Ditto, w google earth overhead/birdseye pix. Trees were leafed out.

Try peek at rental listing pix* w lots of windows overlooking backyard, w SHED.

In one of the photos of the basement, it does indeed look like there's a half window. But looking at the exterior house photos, I don't see obvious evidence of that. I wonder if it's on the side with the outdoor a/c unit? That's about the only side where there's not a clear photo of the exterior. IMO.

1705555873055.png
1705555908614.png
1705555966226.png
1705556000943.png
1705556025998.png

Photos from rental listing posted in quoted post:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online