MO - Furious Friends Demand Answers After 3 Men Found Dead at Kansas City Home Days After Watching Football Game, January 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In one of the photos of the basement, it does indeed look like there's a half window. But looking at the exterior house photos, I don't see obvious evidence of that. I wonder if it's on the side with the outdoor a/c unit? That's about the only side where there's not a clear photo of the exterior. IMO.

View attachment 475499
View attachment 475500
View attachment 475501
View attachment 475502
View attachment 475503

Photos from rental listing posted in quoted post:
Next to chimney. The bump out in basement could be chimney.

Re: the fiance breaking in...

I am trying to figure out where the acess is between the basement steps and the rest of the house? Foyer area or maybe near the garage or laundry room? If so, how long did it take her to find the body? Did she look through the house first? Was the living homeowner/renter hiding from her?

What an absolutely horrifying scenario for her.

Imo.

"Police said a woman came to the home looking for her fiancé. When there was no answer at the door, she broke into the basement and found a dead body on the back porch.

When officers got to the scene, they said they found two other dead bodies in the back yard."

From: 3 found dead outside northland home, neighbors say they are in shock

I honestly don't know whether that means inside in the sunroom or perhaps she stepped out of the sunroom to the concrete pad with the roofed area to check on the victim she saw.

If freezing to death was what happened, I don't think the victim was in the sunroom. It looks like a wide doorway opening into it from the house with no obvious door shutting it off from the rest of the house, plus in one photo you can see a heat vent on the wall. While it may have been cooler than the rest of the house because of so many windows, I don't think someone would have frozen to death inside the sunroom.

Plus if someone was dead in the sunroom, isn't it possible that there would have been a smell after 2 days? It's right beside the kitchen. Would the homeowner/renter not notice?

Of course the observations are moot if freezing didn't figure into the COD.

MOO.

Thanks for the info, this is all just so weird. Supposedly these guys were all friends for a long time. I don't get the apparent oblivious actions of the resident.

I was thinking the bump out in the basement may mirror the upper floor layout and therefore is under the sunroom.

Imo.
Yeah. We once lived in similar home and the cellar was under that section that's 1 level above ground. It was a sort of split level. We walked in front door to 1 level with kitchen and family room and there were 2 options off foyer...big staircase up to bedrooms or a shorter set of steps down to another living space with fireplace and a laundry room and powder room. That area was under the 2nd floor bedrooms. You could then open a door and go down to cellar that was under the kitchen/family room area. We had sliding doors to a deck off the kitchen area as well as sliding doors to a patio off of the 2nd living space. So, yeah, I guess that basement is under the single story section and that window is by the HVAC fan.

I don't know is this was already posted. There's a couple of things two friends of the deceased said in the article.

I was toying with a hypothesis. Suppose the guys came over, watched the game, went out back to partake in something that the homes resident did not want in the house or , perhaps, the guys wanted to shield him from? The resident believes that the friends will leave via the gate after doing whatever it is they are doing and heads off to bed. The next morning he discovers the dead friends and panics, with no idea what to do next. This sounds strange and one would think that he would answer texts or answer the door. But, if he is absolutely terrified by the situation? Do we know anything about the homes tenant? Is there a possibility that he may have educational or social issues that could have caused a reaction that most others do not find "normal"? We do not know exactly what his state of mind was when the police arrived. It seems only hearsay at this point ( walking out calmly wearing boxers and carrying a wine glass certainly doesn't paint him in the best light. However, how much of that statement is true?)

I was toying with a hypothesis. Suppose the guys came over, watched the game, went out back to partake in something that the homes resident did not want in the house or , perhaps, the guys wanted to shield him from? The resident believes that the friends will leave via the gate after doing whatever it is they are doing and heads off to bed. The next morning he discovers the dead friends and panics, with no idea what to do next. This sounds strange and one would think that he would answer texts or answer the door. But, if he is absolutely terrified by the situation? Do we know anything about the homes tenant? Is there a possibility that he may have educational or social issues that could have caused a reaction that most others do not find "normal"? We do not know exactly what his state of mind was when the police arrived. It seems only hearsay at this point ( walking out calmly wearing boxers and carrying a wine glass certainly doesn't paint him in the best light. However, how much of that statement is true?)
Right: As he had to have wondered why they never came back inside and/or why their vehicles remained, (unless as a poster mentioned upthread the vehicles were not visible and he assumed they went home) the sole conclusion is that he knew this involved drugs or something which could implicate him because he’s owner of the property. (If as you state he didn’t know and thus was not responsible, maybe he thought police would not believe him.)

If he has particular issues this state would be worsened. Hence, he became paralyzed by fear and indecision.

The wearing of boxers and sipping wine is probably false bravado and an attempt to calm himself. The situation sounds absolutely dreadful. They obviously got together for fun times and it turned deadly and tragic.

Whomever was irresponsible or culpable for the mishap, it was surely not intended.

Last edited:
Seems odd that three men would die in backyard at same time. Did they become incapacitated and were locked out? Did they die inside and then removed to backyard? Were others involved? Toxicology should provide part of the answer. Lots of questions. IMO

Obviously, friends and family are very suspicious of the home owner: I hadn’t realized that there was so much calling, texting, Facebook posting, banging, knocking, busting windows, etc, that went unheeded for days.

This man [redacted] was inside his home alive while my friends were dead in his yard for lord knows how long. They were all hanging out since after the game Sunday. He KNEW people were looking for them," wrote Kaylee La Tier on Facebook. "He read messages of people searching for him on Tuesday. My husband banged on his door for 20 min. My friend banged on his door and then busted a window and yelled and announced her presence while she’s inside and still nothing from him?? Then the cops come 10 min later and he comes out nonchalant in his boxers with an empty wine glass in hand??!"

Another friend made a similar claim on her Facebook.

"3 men do not just go outside and freeze to death while the owner of the home - their 'friend' stays inside and only when police show up come outside in boxers like you've just been chillin for 2 days while your 3 friends are dead outside," said Lyndsey Rae Baldwin. "Make noise here people - this story is not okay!! He had been contacted for over 24 hours prior about where our friends were - and also their cars still parked at his house - and didn't reply to anyone!"

The mother of David Harrington, Jennifer Marquez, told Fox 4 that the person living in the home allegedly told police that his friends froze to death.

“I’m furious. Everybody is furious,” said Marquez. “Nobody believes this story. None of his friends, none of the families, none of us believe.”

Release of CoD?
When is the COD supposed to be released?
@Normancita
It's common for toxicology test results to take from 6-12 weeks (sometimes longer) before a forensic pathologist can finalize the Autopsy Report and issue a CoD & MoD.
Just generally, not speaking to Platte County, or to MO. timing.

If MoD(s) are ruled homicides, LE, Med Examiner, et al MAY not publicy release the CoDs & MoDs. Sometimes kept quiet, for months or years as investigation continues, until there is an arrest.

OTOH, if MoDs are ruled "accidental" I would expect that info to be publicly released, relatively soon after Autopsy Report is finalized.

JMO

Obviously, friends and family are very suspicious of the home owner: I hadn’t realized that there was so much calling, texting, Facebook posting, banging, knocking, busting windows, etc, that went unheeded for days.
I'm reminded of the outrage expressed towards the Laundries in Gabby Petito's case. The Petito's are suing the Laundrie parents for blocking their calls, and not speaking up about what the Petito's believe they knew. The Laundries were never charged with a crime, this is a civil suit claiming emotional harm.

JMO

I'm reminded of the outrage expressed towards the Laundries in Gabby Petito's case. The Petito's are suing the Laundrie parents for blocking their calls, and not speaking up about what the Petito's believe they knew. The Laundries were never charged with a crime, this is a civil suit claiming emotional harm.

JMO
You’re right: It is similar, and of course it seems indicative of guilty knowledge.

From a behavioral standpoint IMO-- This is very very rare & speaks to a person's idea of sympathy/empathy regardings others welfare. An almost innate trait we are given falls somewhere on the spectrum whether it's completely irrational and individual has no regard for human life or emotion OR fully encaved by others emotion in which their behavior often mimics or adapts to match the "level of concern" society or another individual would have (high vs low pressure(s) of societal norms or likeness).

I think it is HIGHLY unlikely (if the surviving individual was an "average Joe" with little background, consistent jobs and lifestyles) would be able to calm himself down after the realization that his three best friends are dead in his snowy backyard. I am sure he had some sort of panic UNLESS he is not an average Joe at all OR was incapacitated due to drugs, alcohol, gas leak, or whatever the cause could be (I could go on). I would find it very VERY off if he was able to effectively distance himself from this horrific situation and continue life esp within the home as normal.

Basement Window. Which Wall?
That basement window is probably on the side with the a/c, behind that wall.
@airportwoman
Agreeing.
IIRC, fiancee of one of the deceased men broke basement window to enter house.
Based on pix appears imo there may be a window well providing light for the small high basement window.

Pix on various R-E websites show that window.
Easiest to see on redfin.com --- the window well's horizontally corrugated metal is visible next to flag hung on wall.

Trying to secure entry by pretzelling myself down thru that window well would not be my first choice. But then again, I have no breaking & entering experience, and my bones are likely a bit creakier than fiancee's. ;)
jmo

Last edited:
Could it have been an outdoor butane heater? Not sure how enclosed the backyard is but I know they have those heaters for outside for smokers and stuff. Could it have malfunctioned and they were poisoned with carbon monoxide?

JMO
If this were the case, why did the owner not simply call 911? Or do you think he knew about drugs and jumped to that conclusion even if it was the butane heater? Or did he know that the heater was defective, and feared being charged for that?

From a behavioral standpoint IMO-- This is very very rare & speaks to a person's idea of sympathy/empathy regardings others welfare. An almost innate trait we are given falls somewhere on the spectrum whether it's completely irrational and individual has no regard for human life or emotion OR fully encaved by others emotion in which their behavior often mimics or adapts to match the "level of concern" society or another individual would have (high vs low pressure(s) of societal norms or likeness).

I think it is HIGHLY unlikely (if the surviving individual was an "average Joe" with little background, consistent jobs and lifestyles) would be able to calm himself down after the realization that his three best friends are dead in his snowy backyard. I am sure he had some sort of panic UNLESS he is not an average Joe at all OR was incapacitated due to drugs, alcohol, gas leak, or whatever the cause could be (I could go on). I would find it very VERY off if he was able to effectively distance himself from this horrific situation and continue life esp within the home as normal.
I’m wondering how good of friends he was with the victims. How often did they socialize together? Was this one of many times, or the only time?
What was the real relationship between them?
A lot of questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member