MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There was one reporter, Joel Currier with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, who asked for any and all evidence "leading up to" Brown’s death in a FOIA request. The request could have possibly included the tape, since the incident report on the robbery identifies Brown as a suspect in the crime.
Currier told The Huffington Post's Matt Sledge in a tweet that "I can't recall if I knew of robbery at the time of request. I made it broad in hopes of getting as much material as possible."

In another tweet, he added, "I think I may have been hearing rumors of a robbery but nothing confirmed."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/05/ferguson-chief-lied-about-michael-brown-tape_n_5773420.html

Ferguson Police Chief Lied About Why He Released Alleged Michael Brown Robbery Tape

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/05/ferguson-chief-lied-about-michael-brown-tape_n_5773420.html

Matthew Keys @MatthewKeysLive · 6h
Documents prove no one FOIA'd the Michael Brown surveillance tape before #Ferguson police released it - http://bit.ly/1t9fPkD

Not surprised; even if someone did request it with a FOIA application, LE could have denied the request as it was part of an ongoing investigation, so it always seemed disingenuous.

Not surprised; even if someone did request it with a FOIA application, LE could have denied the request as it was part of an ongoing investigation, so it always seemed disingenuous.

True, but Matthew Keyes asked for a FOIA for the FOIA docs for the requests for the video. None, not a one. Chief Jackson released that video for the optics. He lied.

There was one reporter, Joel Currier with the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, who asked for any and all evidence "leading up to" Brown’s death in a FOIA request. The request could have possibly included the tape, since the incident report on the robbery identifies Brown as a suspect in the crime.
Currier told The Huffington Post's Matt Sledge in a tweet that "I can't recall if I knew of robbery at the time of request. I made it broad in hopes of getting as much material as possible."

In another tweet, he added, "I think I may have been hearing rumors of a robbery but nothing confirmed."

Don't remember which article it was in, but one of the articles posted in the first thread mentioned MB stealing just prior to his death. The neighbors were talking about it. jmo

From link posted above:
"....what defense attorneys in the St. Louis area have come to call “poverty violations” — driving with a suspended license, expired plates, expired registration and a failure to provide proof of insurance...."
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-louis-county-missouri-profits-from-poverty/

Admittedly some of ^these issues^ may be exacerbated by lack of funds. Not all.

Some would see these as driver-bad-judgment violations.
Does being poor cause drivers -
--Not to fasten seat belts
?
--Drive in excess of posted speed limit?
--Make improper turns?
--Fail to signal?
--etc.

How about just complying w traffic laws to avoid being stopped and cited for violations.
Or if you are cited, how about paying fine and/or showing up in court?
Admittedly, not always possible for the poor.

But some ppl, including the rich, have no respect for laws.

....and to expound upon your "bad judgement violations"---yes, and I think that also includes a lot of life decisions which end up being bad judgements.

And that is why there isn't as much sympathy......we all have choices, we all can invent excuses but it does nothing to lean onto excuses. Life is tough. Make the right choices.

moo

:facepalm:

Whether or not the Chief lied about an FOIA request or not does NOT negate the fact that Brown committed strong arm robbery, manhandled the clerk, stole things that didn't belong to him, disobeyed LE's directive, assaulted LE and tried to steal his weapon.

But, by all means, let's blame this entire situation on something that did or did not happen after the fact. :sigh:

One of the former families I worked with was from Philadelphia. She is AA.

I met her because my job was to work with the homeless and she was in the domestic violence shelter. She talked about the violence in Philly and how it was as meaningful in the news as the weather. The lives of the AA did not even get more than a couple of seconds of mention.

Upset by all of these issues? Go make some friends in the areas of poverty. There are wonderful people there as well as not so nice people there. Just like everywhere.

Are you presuming that some of us weren't born in a ghetto?
I feel living in a ghetto (or area of poverty) and just visiting a ghetto are two different "animals".

(BBM)
No. Some will believe witnesses, some will believe an anonymous woman on a radio show. The DA will throw the GJ what he wants them to hear. Maybe a true bill or not, trial, and then back to where we started.

Meanwhile we have a police chief who lied, a few officers who are less than stellar and a lot of work to do to see each other's human eyes. :(

http://ac360.blogs.cnn.com/2014/08/22/st-louis-county-police-officer-suspended-over-ugly-rant/

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/30/us/officers-ferguson-actions/

Yeah, I was waiting for that to come out...

Yes, but we want people to work. So how do they get to work without a car ? And public transportation does not go around the clock in some places nor does it go to remote areas.

So they need to MOVE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I commend him for having his officers back. Nothing wrong with sharing the known truth. IMO

The police chief was giving out a good reason for releasing the tape. Eventuslly there would be a FOIA request so he released it early. And why wouldn't he? His officer was getting pummeled by Crump and the press. Why shouldn't he deflect and redirect some of the criticism? I certainly would have done the same thing. His town was about to go up in flames. I think he diverted much of the energy by releasing it when he did. I applaud him for doing so.

Whether or not the Chief lied about an FOIA request or not does NOT negate the fact that Brown committed strong arm robbery, manhandled the clerk, stole things that didn't belong to him, disobeyed LE's directive, assaulted LE and tried to steal his weapon.

But, by all means, let's blame this entire situation on something that did or did not happen after the fact. :sigh:

Nope, let's not blame anyone before the facts are known. One is dead, one's life will never been the same. Sad all the way around.

Just hate to see stereotypes thrown around willy-nilly.

Personally, I commend him for having his officers back. Nothing wrong with sharing the known truth. IMO

I can understand that, but it's also not any justification for lying about it. Perhaps he could have just said that he was releasing the tape to defend an officer. But he didn't; he lied, and it does lead many to wonder if there is a culture of dishonesty or playing fast and loose with the rules in the department.

True, but Matthew Keyes asked for a FOIA for the FOIA docs for the requests for the video. None, not a one. Chief Jackson released that video for the optics. He lied.

So what. He was playing a chess game with Crump, who was saying a choir boy was executed on the way to Grandma's house. The chief needed to change the game up. And he did. I appreciated the information.

Video here. Starts about 12secs in. http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/15/us/missouri-teen-shooting/

This was already brought up a few threads ago.

This is what happens when there is no new news coming out. Things start to get recycled. It's the nature of the beast.

But, hey, the good news is that things have quieted down in Ferguson for the time being and that makes me happy.

I can understand that, but it's also not any justification for lying about it. Perhaps he could have just said that he was releasing the tape to defend an officer. But he didn't; he lied, and it does lead many to wonder if there is a culture of dishonesty or playing fast and loose with the rules in the department.

I am not sure it is that black and white. There was absolutely going to be a request eventually for that video. He released it beforehand. Being a police chief requires some PR type statements. You cannot tell the exact, honest truth, at all times for many complicated reasons. jmo

Yes, but we want people to work. So how do they get to work without a car ? And public transportation does not go around the clock in some places nor does it go to remote areas.

I have a friend that works 3 1/2 miles from home, graveyard shift and she rides her bike. I don't think it's that safe, but she has to do what she has to do since buses don't run that late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member