MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #15

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if OW requested the donations cease.

I know if it were me, I would be embarrassed about donation pages set up on my behalf. JMO.

Why should he be embarrassed? He has nothing to be embarrassed about. I truly think he appreciates the outpouring of support he has received.

I don't think he is the one who stopped it and I don't think it has stopped for good. They just need to merge the two funds together and make sure tax attorneys oversees it. That may take some time but it will be back up and running imo.

I think they are working on merging the funds collected and a fund site will be available to contribute to OW again.

The young girl that started the first fund never dreamed it would gather this much money so from what I have read her family reached out to someone else who has been in charge of funds before for other police officers and the funds will be transferred out of the one she started. With as much money as it has collected they know there needs to be tax lawyers overseeing it.

I sure hope its back up and running soon. I have given to his fund already but would like to contribute again.

IMO

I donated once.
And
I made a donation to the PBA in his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The young girl that started the first fund never dreamed it would gather this much money so from what I have read her family reached out to someone else who has been in charge of funds before for other police officers and the funds will be transferred out of the one she started.

[/I]

The young girl was also getting threats which is no doubt another reason they decided to transfer it to the police charity.

Why should he be embarrassed? He has nothing to be embarrassed about. I truly think he appreciates the outpouring of support he has received.

I don't think he is the one who stopped it and I don't think it has stopped for good. They just need to merge the two funds together and make sure tax attorneys oversees it. That may take some time but it will be back up and running imo.

I wasn't saying he should be embarrassed, just that I would be. If something like this happened to me in the line of duty, I wouldn't expect donations to be set up in my honor. I was doing my job. JMO.

(I'm not saying whether I Think the shooting was justified, btw)

I wonder if OW requested the donations cease.

I know if it were me, I would be embarrassed about donation pages set up on my behalf. JMO.

You mean kind of like he wouldn't want to draw attention to himself? I could see that.

But I don't think he has any reason to be embarassed and I hope it gives him hope that people want to help.

Once I saw the Attorney General of the U.S. send 50 FBI agents into Ferguson to investigate my actions during 8 seconds of my life, I'd want all the support, monetary and otherwise, I could get.

Linda7NJ said:
I donated once.
And
I made a donation to the PBA in his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for you, Linda. You are a keeper for sure.:D

I really think he needs support at this time. No one can talk to him directly so this is another way to tell him people are supporting him. From what I read and cant remember where I read it now but he said he is scared to death they are going to make him out to be a scapegoat in all of this. He has to think about that all the time and the stress must be unbearable for him.

If they don't get the fund back up and running I suppose I could send it directly to the PC there in Ferguson but I think it will be back up and running maybe as soon as next week.

IMO

The latest I read on that was the part about it being tax deductible AND for legal expenses. There is supposedly some question regarding whether money sent for legal expenses can be tax deductible.

I don't think the people donating really care one way or another. I also don't think shutting down the fund at this point will cause any harm right now since the protestors are pretty quiet at the moment. When/if the rioting starts again the donations will start pouring in again for OW.

I donated as well but was really hoping it would NOT go for legal fees since the city should be covering that for OW.

I think they are working on merging the funds collected and a fund site will be available to contribute to OW again.

The young girl that started the first fund never dreamed it would gather this much money so from what I have read her family reached out to someone else who has been in charge of funds before for other police officers and the funds will be transferred out of the one she started. With as much money as it has collected they know there needs to be tax lawyers overseeing it.

I sure hope its back up and running soon. I have given to his fund already but would like to contribute again.

IMO

I hope you are right, but I read on a conservative blog not allowed here, that the funds were suspended because of threats from MB supporters. I posted that yesterday, and did not link per TOS, and also made very clear that it was from a blog. This was supported by posts the fund admins made on the Support OW FB page. But, also not allowed to link.

ETA: would like to add that I was told I needed a link for my original post, even though I stated it was rumor from a blog, and other members have since posted the same without being asked for a link and their posts remain, so there must be some value to what I posted.

The site Crump set up for Brown Family donations:

"travel and expenses as the Brown family seeks justice for their son..."

No mention of Crump, Inc.'s cut.

I wasn't saying he should be embarrassed, just that I would be. If something like this happened to me in the line of duty, I wouldn't expect donations to be set up in my honor. I was doing my job. JMO.

Oh, I see. Sorry.

While this may be their job it is a very hard thankless job to do. I don't think being a police officer should exclude him. I suppose we could say the same thing about the wonderful people in our military who sacrifice so much for our country (they are doing their job) but they need support just like anyone else, including OW imo. That is why I proudly give to 'Wounded Warrior' often.

I think anyone should be able to contribute to anyone if they desire to do so. It doesn't matter who they are or their profession. We see these kind of funds for anyone and everyone nowadays that needs support. FB is filled with funds like this for people who come from all walks of life.

I think this is another way for citizens to show OW that they have not abandoned him as he goes through this nightmare of receiving death threats.

I really don't see anything wrong with it but that's jmo. If one doesn't want to contribute they don't have to but the ones who do have an avenue available to them so they can.

IMO

Kinda wondered about that because his legal costs are covered as per posts here on WS, and he is still being paid, and his medical costs are covered. But people can give money as they see fit even if the recipient is not in any financial need.

Yes, people can give money where they want and for whatever reason. I haven't stated that people shouldn't donate.

EvilSoup said:
/QUOTE]
I hope you are right, but I read on a conservative blog not allowed here, that the funds were suspended because of threats from MB supporters. I posted that yesterday, and did not link per TOS, and also made very clear that it was from a blog. This was supported by posts the fund admins made on the Support OW FB page. But, also not allowed to link.

Yeah I saw that but I think that was just spin. I think MB supporters think they have way more power then they really do. They cant touch this fund nor legally make it shutdown.

The funds will be merged and IMO once all the legalities have been worked out it will be up and running again.

Oh, I see. Sorry.

While this may be their job it is a very hard thankless job to do. I don't think being a police officer should exclude him. I suppose we could say the same thing about the wonderful people in our military who sacrifice so much for our country (they are doing their job) but they need support just like anyone else, including OW imo. That is why I proudly give to 'Wounded Warrior' often.

I think anyone should be able to contribute to anyone if they desire to do so. It doesn't matter who they are or their profession. We see these kind of funds for anyone and everyone nowadays that needs support. FB is filled with funds like this for people who come from all walks of life.

I think this is another way for citizens to show OW that they have not abandoned him as he goes through this nightmare of receiving death threats.

I really don't see anything wrong with it but that's jmo. If one doesn't want to contribute they don't have to but the ones who do have an avenue available to them so they can.

IMO

I do wonder, however-
Can a civil servant accept donations while on payroll? Is there a precedent for that? I think it may depend on municipality, but some places it is a big no-no. IMHO

Kinda wondered about that because his legal costs are covered as per posts here on WS, and he is still being paid, and his medical costs are covered. But people can give money as they see fit even if the recipient is not in any financial need.

He won't be able to safely work at the Ferguson PD after this. He will need to move and it will take time to find another job, I think that qualifies as a hardship both financially and emotionally.

The young girl was also getting threats which is no doubt another reason they decided to transfer it to the police charity.

It seems our world has really gone nuts. Death threats have become as common place as civil lawsuits now.:(

How anyone could threaten a young girl just because she had a fund site for OW, blows my mind, actually.

Our world seems to have become a very mean and snarly place in the last few years and it seems to be getting worse.:(

If DW wants to sell his house now, would anyone take the risk of buying it knowing the address/pictures have been posted online id'ing it as DW's? Maybe, if he sold it cheap.

Can DW ever work as a police officer again? Not safely imo.

I hope he uses donations to return to school to prepare for another "helping" profession that provides the privacy and safety he'll need. How sad that, after overcoming his tumultuous childhood, he's again facing upheaval and uncertainty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader