MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont understand how they would not have any proof of residence? No pic ID, no Dr license, utility bills?

Ferguson library system requires proof of residence for a card. I hate to think of the children missing out.

:hilarious: So they rules should apply to everyone but her?

She's a councilwoman and her twitter name is Patricialicious ? :giggle:

I was just thinking, if nothing else, maybe these guys will finally begin to realize rules do apply to them.

Bringing this over from the last thread:

K_Z's Avatar K_Z
Verified Anesthetist

I agree with much of this, but I also believe that if any of the young people want to "start over", and reject the gangster culture lifestyle-- they CAN. The gangster culture is a dead end. Embracing that lifestyle will only lead to more pain, more rejection, more anger. They have to make the hard decision to walk away from it, even if their own friends and family don't support them, or call them "whitey". This is America, and they DO have the ability to reject this culture, pursue education, put on business type clothing when going to school and job hunting, and find a community where "they are judged on the content of their CHARACTER, and not the color of their skin."

It all starts with the individual. That comes from within the person, and hopefully, from within the right voices in the community.

Yeppers.

Two Words...No Four: Jerome "The Bus" Bettis...or to shorten it back to Two Words...My Hero:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Bettis

Here's a link to the description of his book, The Bus: My Life in and out of a Helmet

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bus-Life-out-Helmet/dp/0767926668

This man had a very rough childhood and readily did things of which he is not proud. But he went on to become one of the best-loved Steelers...possibly best-loved NFL players IMO...ever.

Yes, it is possible to get out of the cycle. Yes, it starts within the individual. There are resources and mentors out there for everyone if a person cares to find them.

There are plenty of people who started out in poverty, living in bad neighborhoods, surrounded by a culture fueled by crime; and there are plenty of people who looked around, said, "Nope not me," and got out, going on to be successful and happy individuals, many of whom also going on to inspire and help others. If the opportunities and resources weren't perfect, they made do and made them work. It might not be easy, but life doesn't promise us "easy."

I wonder if she is there so that the meeting will be in violation of the sunshine law. Only two council members were supposed to be there.

Bynes isn't a Ferguson council member. She's a Democrat super delegate, committee member, i.e. not elected.

I think that's the link many people are missing, and that's what I tried to explain in my novel (ha ha) to TheDuchess. It doesn't really matter what OW's motivation was. Not to the black residents of Ferguson. The reason it doesn't matter is because of the racial divide that has existed in the area for so long. They didn't feel like they needed to wait for "facts", they didn't need proof of a racial motive. Their history with local LE was proof enough. In their minds, this shooting was proof of what they already believed, which is that cops are hunting black boys in Ferguson. EVERYONE in that area- certainly in that apartment complex- is AA. The complex itself is low-income housing, so yes, there's a lot of crime, drug abuse and whatever else happens in areas where people aren't thriving economically. In a point of law, all that's relevant is whether OW was justified or not. In Ferguson, that's the least of the community's concerns. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying that's reality. And, if a determination is made that OW was justified, the residents will not believe it. They are completely convinced of what they believe happened, and the motivation behind it.

And that mindset is part of the reason true 'healing' and progress are going to be hard to come by for the community: if you can't even envision that the other 'side' didn't act with malice how will you ever be able to come to a meeting of the minds with them? As of right now based on the evidence we've seen, I believe the shooting of Michael Brown was justified. That doesn't mean that I think it was greatly to be desired or a cause for rejoicing; I don't think anyone here believes that. Nevertheless, you cannot hang the full weight of responsibility of the racial divide in Ferguson and the surrounding areas on the shoulders of Darren Wilson. You cannot truly serve the cause of justice by weighing a case on 'what people believe could have happened' versus the facts of the case and the law. To do so is to truly espouse the belief that justice is not blind, justice is not impartial, justice can be swayed by something other than the truth. And not 'truthiness,' truth. Personally, I believe that the AA community is just as able to deal rationally with facts, just as capable of understanding the law, and just as intelligent as any other segment of the American population. Certainly, there are individuals of EVERY race and socioeconomic level who are exceptions, but I firmly believe that I don't need to condescend or pander to anyone because of their race. AAs aren't children, they aren't mentally deficient, and they aren't incapable of rational discourse. That's why I applaud those who are registering the community to vote, urging non-violence, and providing clarity on how the electoral and legal systems work and think the looters, the rioters, and those who try to threaten or intimidate other members of their community should be arrested. I make no apologies for that.

P.S. If it isn't evident, I do appreciate your viewpoint and on-the-ground perspective. I left this discussion for a while out of frustration, but recent conversations have lured me back.

Wiki definition of 'truthiness': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truthiness

Bringing this over from the last thread:

K_Z's Avatar K_Z
Verified Anesthetist

Yeppers.

Two Words...No Four: Jerome "The Bus" Bettis...or to shorten it back to Two Words...My Hero:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Bettis

Here's a link to the description of his book, The Bus: My Life in and out of a Helmet

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bus-Life-out-Helmet/dp/0767926668

This man had a very rough childhood and readily did things of which he is not proud. But he went on to become one of the best-loved Steelers...possibly best-loved NFL players IMO...ever.

Yes, it is possible to get out of the cycle. Yes, it starts within the individual. There are resources and mentors out there for everyone if a person cares to find them.

There are plenty of people who started out in poverty, living in bad neighborhoods, surrounded by a culture fueled by crime; and there are plenty of people who looked around, said, "Nope not me," and got out, going on to be successful and happy individuals, many of whom also going on to inspire and help others. If the opportunities and resources weren't perfect, they made do and made them work. It might not be easy, but life doesn't promise us "easy."

I agree. And how'd you like the Steelers yesterday? I thought about ya...:cheer:

Owl Akata Shakur‏@OwlsAsylum·32s
RT @stlpublicradio: #Ferguson RT @search4swag: Was let back in with the promise not to record.

:hilarious: So the rules should apply to everyone but her?

She's a councilwoman and her twitter name is Patricialicious ? :giggle: That's awesome

Bynes was described by the Post-Dispatch as living in an apartment blocks away from Canfield Green, so she may be a resident.

Respectfully, I disagree. As a resident of StL City currently & StL County for many yrs prior, ODW shooting MB was out of self defense, not racially motivated

I agree, though, that certain areas of StL metro are plagued with racial tensions, but specific to the tragedy on 9 Aug, it was not a "race-thing" but self-defense & the facts will show that when we are privy to ALL them IMHO

krimekat, I think you missed the point.

Rebelutionary Z‏@Rebelutionary_Z·3 mins
.@DeadPrecariat @search4swag -town hall meeting-media and recording barred-but, THERE WILL BE VIDEO!
#Ferguson

Honestly? I think they're scared to. They'll denounce the threats all day long in private, but won't say it in public. Every time a black person expresses an opinion that is not part of the standard script, they get attacked. You'll see some of that during the PBS Townhall on Friday. Gwen Ifill interviews a man from NYC (I cannot recall his name- Riley or somebody) about his thoughts on the case. He mentions some of the problems within the black community, and dared speak those most hated words, "Personal Responsibility". I'm not going to lie- some in the crowd (not all) snickered, and rolled their eyes. The prevailing wisdom is that a black person who voices dissent is an Uncle Tom. No black person wants that label. I just don't think the answers lie with the current politicians. It's going to be a grassroots effort involving the residents of the community, churches and non-profit organizations.

Sadly, until this changes, IMO, there will never be an end to the divide.

Ryan J. Reilly‏@ryanjreilly·1 min
#Ferguson spokesman insisted to me they would not enforce ban on non-residents. http://huff.to/XYCarB That's obviously changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member