MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #22

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jasmine Huda‏@jhuda·2 mins
Officer manning door outside town hall mtg: no media or non #Ferguson residents. Exception made for Councilwmn representing Ferg. @kmov

I guess they did let Patricialicious in after all

Molly‏@mollyrosestl·2 mins
Nice. #Ferguson RT @search4swag: Oh s**t. Black on black crime is now the floor. Subsided housing and extortion came up. Are you kidding.

Molly‏@mollyrosestl·2 mins
Nice. #Ferguson RT @search4swag: Oh s**t. Black on black crime is now the floor. Subsided housing and extortion came up. Are you kidding.

Good for them for bringing up these issues.

Ferguson library system requires proof of residence for a card. I hate to think of the children missing out.

Most libraries do, do they not? Our library will actually send a person something in the mail that they in turn can bring in as proof of residence. And our library provides many services other than just checking out materials that do not require proof of anything...story time, movies, music concerts, guest lectures, etc. And they have a special children's area where parents can read books to their children without checking them out if they so desire.

:hilarious: So the rules should apply to everyone but her?

She's a councilwoman and her twitter name is Patricialicious ? :giggle: That's awesome

OMG. I totally would have missed that. LOL & SMH

(Tweets always look half Greek to me, so thanks for all translations! :crazy: )

Sent via Tapatalk for S4

I agree. And how'd you like the Steelers yesterday? I thought about ya...:cheer:

Oh I LOVED LOVED LOVED it as did my family (except my dawg...he got tired of "having" to do his "Steeler Dance" when we scored. lol Thanks for thinking about me!)

And I, in turn, thought about Mr. Lovejac who got to go to the game! Hope he enjoyed it as well!!!

Most libraries do, do they not? Our library will actually send a person something in the mail that they in turn can bring in as proof of residence. And our library provides many services other than just checking out materials that do not require proof of anything...story time, movies, music concerts, guest lectures, etc. And they have a special children's area where parents can read books to their children without checking them out if they so desire.

I can't imagine parents not getting easily obtained proof of residence so their child can enjoy the library. Do Section 8 housing folks not get a utility bill sent to them?

I used the library so much when the kids were younger. Got tapes VHS tapes there all of the time, for free. So much cheaper than Blockbuster. lol
They had great story time nights with guest readers and crafts. and snacks. lol The kids loved to pick out their books. I miss it.

I can't imagine parents not getting easily obtained proof of residence so their child can enjoy the library. Do Section 8 housing folks not get a utility bill sent to them?

My question is would mail received at a Ferguson residence qualify as proof of residency. Especially if the holder of the mail has no photo ID to attach themselves to the name on the mail item. I bet that is where the problem is lying.

Not sure what forms would be considered proof of residency at a council meeting but to register for school I had to provide pieces of mail with my name my address my photo ID and my kids's socials (to prove they were mine and indeed resided in the home as well)

So maybe mail is not enough or I could just waltz into the meeting with anyold peice of mail I sent myself at my man's house. KWIM

My question is would mail received at a Ferguson residence qualify as proof of residency. Especially if the holder of the mail has no photo ID to attach themselves to the name on the mail item. I bet that is where the problem is lying.

Not sure what forms would be considered proof of residency at a council meeting but to register for school I had to provide pieces of mail with my name my address my photo ID and my kids's socials (to prove they were mine and indeed resided in the home as well)

So maybe mail is not enough or I could just waltz into the meeting with anyold peice of mail I sent myself at my man's house. KWIM

Our elementary school requires a utility bill in mine or husbands name

my question is would mail received at a ferguson residence qualify as proof of residency. Especially if the holder of the mail has no photo id to attach themselves to the name on the mail item. I bet that is where the problem is lying.

Not sure what forms would be considered proof of residency at a council meeting but to register for school i had to provide pieces of mail with my name my address my photo id and my kids's socials (to prove they were mine and indeed resided in the home as well)

so maybe mail is not enough or i could just waltz into the meeting with anyold peice of mail i sent myself at my man's house. Kwim

emanuele berry ‏@emanuelewithane 1m
.@csmcdaniel to enter you must show an id with a #ferguson address or an id along with a piece of mail proving ferguson residency.

fyi..

Bringing over my response to TheDuchess, in case she misses it, due to thread closing:

I'm sorry TheDuchess. I must have missed your previous posts. I can't speak for everyone, but the shooting death of MB is more symbolic than anything else. When he was shot, people assumed the shooting was racially motivated. Not because of the facts of the incident itself, but because of their own personal experiences with police officers in Ferguson. As I've stated, the relationship between black residents in Ferguson and Ferguson police officers has been strained for many years. Many AAs in Ferguson can share horror stories around being profiled, pulled over without cause, having weapons drawn on them without cause, their vehicles tossed without cause, etc. I realize not everyone believes these stories when they hear them- even I do not believe all of them- but there is enough of a breakdown between residents and LE that people assumed the worst. Racism.

Some of the issue is a lack of education. I'm not talking school-system education, I'm talking about education of the process in general. People already believed no one in LE cared that MB was shot, so it wasn't a leap for them to also believe his body had layed in the street for 4 hours as an act of disrespect. For many in the community, it is literally easier for them to believe, based on their own experiences, that those officers didn't care about MB than it is to believe there's a logical (non-racially motivated) explanation.

It truly is easier for many residents to believe MB had his hands up in surrender and was shot anyway than it is to believe OW was acting in self-defense. Again, the reason for this is because of their own experiences, their own histories with local LE. Many believe a white police officer shooting an unarmed black male without cause was inevitable. Many express shock it hasn't happened sooner. When MB was shot and killed, they took it as proof of the breakdown they've perceived between LE and their own families for many, many years.

THAT is why I believe race has to be a part of the conversation regarding the death of MB. Not because I automatically assume OW was racist, but because people are acting out the pain and anger of decades of dysfunction. You cannot begin to understand where they are coming from if you don't understand the racial tension that has haunted the region over such a long period of time.

Someone not impacted by the racial dynamic may find it easier to look at the facts objectively, with no filter (racial or otherwise) and come to a certain conclusion. The residents of Ferguson do not have that luxury. It's not because they're bad people, it's because they live in a racial divide, where their existence is literally "us vs. them". Now, some of that is their own doing. I'm the first to admit that. But not all of it is, and there are some people that have enjoyed measurable success- black and white alike- off of the racial divide.

Hopefully that answers your question somewhat?

First of all, thanks so much for the response. I really appreciate you trying to answer a very difficult question. And this response is in no way intended to go against what you are trying to say, because I get what you are trying to say and it is fairly close to what I had figured anyway.

That said, there are a couple of things that come to mind. While I have been listening to many horror stories about the Ferguson police, St. Louis police, and police in general, and many horror stories about racism in general, there is one very glaring missing story. Even with all of the vitriol, the screaming, yelling, crying, chanting, riots, protests, television interviews, etc...I have yet to hear ONE SINGLE STORY of anyone coming forward with a story about Officer Darren Wilson. Not one. So not only is his record impeccable, I haven't even heard anyone even try to make one up! Nothing. Not a word.

So while I understand a lot of the anger, mistrust, etc...is the irony completely lost on them that it is completely unfair to label one specific person based on your perception of the whole? Is it any fairer to them to call a white man a racist simply because well...he's white?? Or he must be a racists if he shot an unarmed teenager? While they are running all over the place screaming for the world to hear how unfair they have been treated, how can they possibly miss the fact that is exactly what they are doing to OW?

Honestly, OW was their friend. He served their community. He treated them with respect. He has never once been accused of abusing his authority in any way.

Lastly, if not willing to be swayed by the human element, or the fairness element, how about this. If OW were arrested without probably cause and without proper due process and it ever did go to court, how would they feel if he got off on a technicality caused by a rush to judgment?

I think I'll step out of this case until more information comes out about....Oh, I don't know...the actual case we used to be discussing.

Prayers for Officer Wilson.

Move over, I'm
Gonna come sit next to you...I'll bring snacks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KSDK NewsChannel 5‏@ksdknews·4 mins
RT @CaseyNolen One #Ferguson woman says mtg is civil & a much needed chance for locals to speak. She's grateful non-residents not allowed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abberline vs Edmund Reid