MO - Grief & protests follow shooting of teen Michael Brown #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rob Edwards @RobertDEdwards · 6m

Statement from Support Officer Wilson organization: "We share the belief that officer Wilson's actions were justified." #Ferguson

Rob Edwards @RobertDEdwards · 6m

UPDATE: The statement is NOT from Officer Wilson's family, but from an independent support group. #Ferguson

Rob Edwards @RobertDEdwards · 4m

The "Support Darren Wilson" group says officer's actions were justified and media is biased. #Ferguson

Just saw that news conference. Can't wait for video link to be posted.

I'd say no matter the colour of one's skin - or even profession, one must always give to get. I used to work as a dispatcher - worked with a ton of cops, sheriffs, etc. Most were lovely people - some were condescending and rude, some were sexist and demeaning. A career path doesn't, shouldn't, give certain individuals immunity to manners themselves either.

JMO

This is one of the most reasoned posts I've read thus far. Good post!

Not sure if it's already been mentioned, but would just like to point out that the photo of the guy with the tear gas canister is often reported as throwing it back at the police, but the guy says on his twitter that he was just throwing it away from the children near him.

Of course he would.

Thankful that he showed more concern for those children then their own caregivers that brought them to that volatile situation.

I'm NOT saying that what MB did in the store was right by any means or any stretch of the imagination. What I am saying is, that the storekeeper should have realized that it was not a safe thing to do to try to block multiple robbers from leaving the store using his little body alone. I don't think I am being unreasonable or saying something which is hard to understand.

When I saw the video, it was clear that the shopkeeper was coming after the group to try to stop them from leaving the store with the cigarillos. He was trying to stop the robbery using his body alone. He came after MB, trying to stop MB. So, in any universe, that would not be a very wise thing to do.

JMO.

You are 100% correct and I believe law enforcement would back you up. You are never supposed to confront robbers. Let them take what they want, call the cops or push the silent alarm and let the cops deal with it. Confronting robbers is dangerous and many shopkeepers have ended up dead that way. None of this is in any way justifying robbery. It is a safety issue.

I'm about a hundred posts back, but wanted to add to the mention of Reese Witherspoon's trouble was for resisting arrest - yes she was mouthy & her behavior was shameful - but she did not strike a cop or grab for his gun. Michael Brown did & then he ran.

RS's actions got her cuffed & arrested. I don't remember reading that anyone took up for her. She got what she deserved. There were certainly no protests, looting & threats. No extra duty for officers.

Surely there is a more worthy poster boy for abuse of the big bad <modsnip> than MB.

Posting this to inform that there is a big difference between shoplifting and robbery.

Many crimes types are committed every day. Some are minor and lots of people commit them. Minor crime examples are traffic violations, such as speeding or illegal u-turns. Some crimes are serious and don't happen as much, fortunately. One example of a serious crime is robbery.

Robbery is taking property from another by force or threats. It's a theft type in that property is illegally taken. However, robbery is more serious than normal theft because force or threats are used. This is especially true if the robber uses a weapon to take property.

Robbery Elements

Crimes are made up of elements that must be met to convict a person. Robbery has four main elements. A person is guilty of robbery if he:

*Takes property from its rightful owner
*Acts without the owner's permission
*Intends to steal property
*Uses force or intimidation against the owner.

The force or intimidation must be directly related to taking of property for the act to be robbery.

Punishment for Robbery

Robbery is considered a felony. Most states and the federal government classify a crime that's punishable by more than one year in prison as a felony. Some states consider a felony as any crime that's punishable by any prison time.

In contrast, an inexpensive theft is usually considered a misdemeanor.

Whether a crime is a robbery or a theft will have a great impact on punishment.

Usual punishment for robbery conviction is a prison sentence. Sentence length depends on someone's criminal history and case circumstances.

http://criminal.lawyers.com/criminal-law-basics/the-crime-of-robbery.html

Also, just a general observation:

Many of us appear to be "leaning" in one direction vs the other in this case based on what we "know" about the case. Based in large part, what "we know" or accept, is shaped by our own life experiences and our Preconceived perceptions about how the world should or should not work. It's natural, and we all do it, whether we're a cops wife, the mother of a murdered child, or some talking head on CNN.

However, I think it's important to learn about the laws that are likely to shape this case from a criminal perspective, and to get an understanding of how the judicial process works. Without understanding some of these basic concepts, opinions may be formed based solely on emotion, and emotions do not legally effect this kind of process.

JMO

Agree. Trouble is, IN MY OPINION, has evolved into asserting some things as statements of fact, none of which have been proven by forensics. We can only speculate, for now. And that IS fun. But none of us knows the factual accuracy of any witness statements, including assertions of truth by unnamed LE "sources". All that LE can say, is a repetition of what DW (a WITNESS) has asserted as fact. His assertions are no more or less TRUE than any of the other witnesses, IMO. JMO JMHO

:goodpost: Agreed!

Of course he would.

Thankful that he showed more concern for those children then their own caregivers that brought them to that volatile situation.

One might also ask why police "needed" to throw tear gas into a crowd at all, esp. One containing children. What ever happened to "to protect and serve"? Police are supposed to be protecting the public. It seems that oath has sometimes been lost in the antagonism between police and ordinary citizens.

Yes, i saw the interview on youtube days ago i think. I know something took place for sure. But i cannot sit here and just believe the officers account, he could have started it and MB reacted. I would react also, but do i need them bullets? Like damn, all i am saying here. Not concerned about the struggle. I always think the police could have taken another route, instead of open fire. We all wont agree on this, thats for sure lol

Yes, ITA. I have also since yesterday been trying to convey this point of reaction to some provocation. But the response I'm getting is that either 1. no, OW didn't do anything to provoke or 2. MB shouldn't have reacted to any provocation.

Well #2 is a lot easier said than done. Especially given the situation if there was provocation by OW, which would have been White male in position of power provoking a Black male. And this is where history and also general unfavorable relationship between LE and Black males comes in.

But still people say, basically, who cares about the history and MB should have known to respect LE. But basic human respect goes both ways. I can see where someone might "go off" on someone who does not give them basic human respect. Maybe that is what lead up to the altercation at the car...we don't know.

JMO.

What do you think the officer should have done when a much bigger man punched him in the face and tried to take his weapon? Let him have it and hope for the best? If he had, that would be one shooting we wouldn't be discussing on multiple threads because there would be no agendas attached, no self promotion to be had, no ratings to be gained, no voters to be ginned up. Ill informed celebrities, millionaire "activists" and polarizing pundits would not be pouring gas on a fire because there would be no fire. All MOO

:goodpost:

The thanks button wasn't enough!!!

Wrong thread.
And whatever the point...it was lost on me.

I never claimed there was a shortage of stupid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Point is easy to say MB should have grown up, been mature, etc..

When people who really should know better, do stupid things too.

Good point jmcgladr.

The question also occurs why are people bringing their children to "peaceful" protest that been infiltrated by less than peaceful people who loot, burn, and throw molotov cocktails? The first night when violence was erupting I could certainly understand that people with intentions to peacefully protest were not expecting that to happen. But the other nights children were present I must question the decision of parents who had them there in the first place.

To me it has seemed like there was a loss of common sense all the way around. Protesters and police alike

I'll repost this from my first post last night. I get the feeling some may not have seen it. From Nancy Grace 8/20/14:
NG: But I`m going to tell you that there are reports this police officer has suffered severe facial injuries, including an orbital eye socket
fracture, and was nearly beaten unconscious by your clients` son, Michael Brown, before firing his gun.
Now, do I know this to be true? I do not. These are reports coming out of the prosecution`s camp. And I am wondering what your response is.
I want to hear it from you, Daryl, because if Michael Brown beat this cop in the face to start things off, then no jury in this -- no grand jury is
going indict him.

DARYL PARKS, BROWN FAMILY ATTORNEY: Well, first of all, Nancy, without question, we know that there was a major altercation at the car.
There`s no question about that. So you`ll never hear me say there wasn`t a major altercation within the car. There was even a gunshot...
GRACE: Well, with the car...
PARKS: Within the car.
GRACE: ... or at the car?
PARKS: At the car.
GRACE: So you say it happened in the car?
PARKS: The officer was still partially in the car, is what we`ve been told.
Now, take into consideration in this case that we have a video of
the officer right after. He`s standing there with the other officer...

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1408/20/ng.01.htmlhttp://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1408/20/ng.01.html

So the "tussle" became an "interaction" then a "strong interaction" and now it's a "major interaction." I believe Parks tried to backtrack but NG caught him with "within the car."

LOL! I have to rotate between CNN which in my opinion leans to the left and Fox News Network which in my opinion leads to the right. Watching both CNN and Fox News Network is the only way I have found to get fair and balanced.

LOL to this too!

One might also ask why police "needed" to throw tear gas into a crowd at all, esp. One containing children. What ever happened to "to protect and serve"? Police are supposed to be protecting the public. It seems that oath has sometimes been lost in the antagonism between police and ordinary citizens.

Many threads back many posters on websleuths were questioning why parents would have children out so late in such chaos.

Point is easy to say MB should have grown up, been mature, etc..

When people who really should know better, do stupid things too.

Stupid mistakes and violent crimes against others are two entirely different things. IMO

A 6 year old knows better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members