DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wood is not talking to LE.

*mutters many, many bad words*

Inside his home?

Honestly, if I saw this described scenario, my "red flag" alarms would be ringing in high gear the moment he stopped in the street near her. The witnesses even said that it was obvious the little girl did not know this fella. The fact that he is a 45 yr old man, pulling up to a 10 yr old girl to me is a "no brainer", especially after he has made 4-5 slow passes down that street, and especially seeing that the girl showed every sign of not knowing him.

Yes, if I was in that "line of sight" nearby garage, I'd instantly holler out and head towards the "unknown fella" pronto. To think that most wouldn't do this is quite troubling to me.

Yes, but from the moment he stepped out of the car to when he grabbed her and drove away was probably all of five seconds, and it sounds like the witness DID run after the truck as soon as he realized what was happening.

witnesses tried to chase him on foot and one got in a car and tried to chase him.. multiple 911 calls

several people tried to stop this from happening even following in car

The news conference is going on right now.

Vehicle was observed circling the neighborhood. Driver pulled up and had conversation with Owens who was walking in the neighborhood. Driver jumped out and grabbed Owens and pulled her into the vehicle and sped off.

No indication they knew each other. Not saying whether she was sexually assaulted.

Witnesses chased the vehicle in cars and on foot while calling 911.

Police were able to trace vehicle license no.

I know what we can do, as a society! It's cruel and unusual but this situation has blossomed in the last couple of generations. There are ten or twenty times MORE pedophiles on the streets today than there were some years ago. This is an epidemic and needs to be treated as such. I said in an earlier post that one pervert has dozens or even over 100 victims before being caught ( source: gavin de becker ) . Once a child is abused , their own odds of becoming a predator increase. ( not saying all but their odds certainly do increase . i do not believe very many pedophiles are not victims themselves in childhood, Mooo ) So let's just make up a number and say in 1950 there were 100 predators of children in the US ( made up number, obviously no bearing on reality) . If those 100 had 100 victims each and 50% of their victims became predators themselves, then it's easy to see how we got to this point today. Every time a group of child victims reach adult hood, and 50% of them are becoming predators themselves , then every 12 to 18 yrs , roughly, the amount of predators on teh street is increasing by 1000% ? ( math is not my strong suit)

I think sex crimes need to be removed from the criminal statues as they are today and given their own category. A first time robber of gum at a convenience store I can see getting probation and another chance. A first time molester of a child I do not think needs probation and a second chance. There is no study anywhere that I have ever heard of that says a pedophile can be rehabilitated . It cannot be done. Judges, lawyers, LEO's, KNOW this so why are first time offenders treated like first time possession of weed offenders?
I also think when a SO is picked up , that person should be able to press charges on their own molester from childhood. It would not reduce their sentence at all, but only bring in a few more sickos. Whoever molested them as a child is STILL molesting some child somewhere so they need off the street as well.
Would any of that help ? Thoughts?

ETA , I made up the numbers above just for demonstration but I swear I read somewhere years ago that over 95 % of all pedophiles were themselves victims. I do not have a source but given how the mind works, I would not be surprised at all if those numbers were true.

ETA Not to be confused with 95% of victims will become predators( which is not true ) ... two totally TOTALLY different things here.

I don't think your assumptions are correct, actually. I think there are fewer sex crimes against children than ever before - because kids are now talking and being believed. We are extremely aware, as a society, of sexual criminals due to public databases and a more open society in reporting it.

I think statistically, sex crimes against children is down - certainly cases of strangers grabbing children who are strangers and harming them hasn't increased/decreased since the 1950's.

Children are more vulnerable in our society if their mother is single and dating, but the over all level of child abuse is constant.

There are businesses that make a profit telling you otherwise - the news media sells when a story like this comes up - and for profit child ID and child find businesses try to convince the public that this is an epidemic.

It isn't. It's a stable number of occurrances over time.

OMG....I can't go through another child case. Fly with the angels Hailey.

I know what we can do, as a society! It's cruel and unusual but this situation has blossomed in the last couple of generations. There are ten or twenty times MORE pedophiles on the streets today than there were some years ago. This is an epidemic and needs to be treated as such. I said in an earlier post that one pervert has dozens or even over 100 victims before being caught ( source: gavin de becker ) . Once a child is abused , their own odds of becoming a predator increase. ( not saying all but their odds certainly do increase . i do not believe very many pedophiles are not victims themselves in childhood, Mooo ) So let's just make up a number and say in 1950 there were 100 predators of children in the US ( made up number, obviously no bearing on reality) . If those 100 had 100 victims each and 50% of their victims became predators themselves, then it's easy to see how we got to this point today. Every time a group of child victims reach adult hood, and 50% of them are becoming predators themselves , then every 12 to 18 yrs , roughly, the amount of predators on teh street is increasing by 1000% ? ( math is not my strong suit)

I think sex crimes need to be removed from the criminal statues as they are today and given their own category. A first time robber of gum at a convenience store I can see getting probation and another chance. A first time molester of a child I do not think needs probation and a second chance. There is no study anywhere that I have ever heard of that says a pedophile can be rehabilitated . It cannot be done. Judges, lawyers, LEO's, KNOW this so why are first time offenders treated like first time possession of weed offenders?
I also think when a SO is picked up , that person should be able to press charges on their own molester from childhood. It would not reduce their sentence at all, but only bring in a few more sickos. Whoever molested them as a child is STILL molesting some child somewhere so they need off the street as well.
Would any of that help ? Thoughts?

ETA , I made up the numbers above just for demonstration but I swear I read somewhere years ago that over 95 % of all pedophiles were themselves victims. I do not have a source but given how the mind works, I would not be surprised at all if those numbers were true.

ETA Not to be confused with 95% of victims will become predators( which is not true ) ... two totally TOTALLY different things here.

BBM

I honestly don't believe that is true. Many pedophiles weren't abused as a child. Some even grew up in close knit middle income families. Joseph Duncan was one of the most prolific sadist pedophile and murderer yet the FBI found no evidence he had ever been abused as a child.

A small minority of pedophiles will have sexual abuse in their past history just like any other criminal that may have it in their background or those found in the general population. But sexual abuse does not make someone into a pedophile.

Imo, their wiring is wrong and they are attracted to children. This may be because they feel they have no control over their adult life and can control a small defenseless child. They often have poor relationships with adults..such as the dating scene. Also it is known that a some pedophiles didn't have a strong father figure while growing up and were raised by a single mother. A mother they may have a love/hate relationship with. This does not always apply because they can grow up with two parents in the home.

Here is one article about pedophiles.

Characteristics of Offenders Who Violate and Assault Children

According to the Survey of Inmates of State Correctional Facilities by the U.S. Department of Justice Bureau of Justice Statistics, the following statistics have been recorded concerning the characteristics of offenders who violate and assault children.

* Those inmates who were convicted of committing violent acts against children were more like to have been white, a percentage of nearly 70%, than any other race.
* White inmates were nearly three times more likely to have victimized a child than black inmates.
* About one in every seven Hispanic convicts had been convicted for a crime against a child.
* Nearly two-thirds of convicted child molesters and/or offenders were or had been married.
* Child molesters and offenders were more likely to have grown up in a two parent home and were more likely to have been molested as a child.
* Approximately 22% of child offenders reported having been sexually abused as a child.

http://childprotection.lifetips.com/cat/63573/sex-offender-statistics/index.html

They had the license plate number, but it took three and a half hours to locate him?!

Did I hear that correctly?

there was no delay.. it is a process

then the process needs FIXED and streamlined. speed is SO CRUCIAL and could have saved this poor Hailey's life. the AA does no good 2 hours later! you could be ages away by then.

He drove up in truck as officers were watching his home.

It is his residence, he drove up to the house in the truck as officers were observing the residence.

Presser:
http://www.ky3.com/video-photo/live

We have discovered a female body, she has not been positively identified. We believe it is Hailey Owens. Cause of death won't be known until after autopsy.

We let the family know this morning that we found a body, but haven't been able to confirm it is Hailey.

Craig Michael Wood arrested and booked at 11:30 last night.

Questions
What led you to his home?
witness provided description and plate, from that led to his name & home

no connection from victim and perp

anything else police could have done?
it came together how it should when people are paying attention, very proud of officers in the very short amount of time. community coming together, citizens and police

people saw this little girl get abducted, there was a license plate number, someone can see a child abducted, how can you assure people that this won't happen again?
we can't, people saw this happen, people took action, tried to stop this from happening. could have been opposite, no one could have seen what happened and we would have no idea who did this

can you confirm it was 8:30 or 11:30?
we found him at 8:30 he was booked at 11:30

was victim found inside or outside?
inside the home

have you ever handled a case this difficult?
it's tragic and difficult, no i can't remember a case this tragic

911 report came at 3:00 saying possible child abduction, any connection?
no idea

random target?
up to subject, he is not talking, no answers as to motive or why

what about him working at middle school around children for years?
employee at school

any indication anyone else involved?
no

sexual assault?
no idea

what was Hailey doing?
walking down the street

what did the witnesses report?
vehicle circling neighborhood, driver have conversation with Hailey, she ignored him, then came back and he grabbed her and pulled her into vehicle, then sped off

actions of witnesses?
a couple witnesses chased on foot, one tried to follow in vehicle, but lost it more than one person involved in trying to stop this

we were able to track who was registered the vehicle and find who was possibly driving it

was the delay due to trying to track down who was driving the truck?
delay? i think it was very quick how it was issued and an arrest was made

was he found in vehicle?
yes, at his residence

was he sleeping in the truck?
no, he drove up in truck as officers were watching

investigators contacted him and he agreed to accompany them to headquarters for questioning, he refused to talk and asked for attorney

are there any other missing kids that may be related?
not locally, we are looking into other possible cases

IMO within 30 minutes of her abduction she was gone.

I hope you are right. As horrible as it is to think, the only hope at this point is that her suffering was very , very short lived :(

The abduction took place at 4:48 p.m. Tuesday evening, Feb. 18--school was out and Owens was home.

Suspect is a coach at a K-8 school.

Body was found in a garage at suspect's home.

Suspect refused to talk and asked for an attorney.

No unsolved abductions in Springfield that police are aware of.

No evidence so far that suspect has been involved in a crime before.

Autopsy is being performed at medical examiner's office right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase