GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From the article above-actually it was this that stood out to me:

.....The Woods have hired attorneys Dee Wampler and Joseph Passanise to serve as their spokespersons during this process. In a statement released Thursday evening, the attorneys said the Woods are cooperating fully with law enforcement.

“This unexpected incident involving their son, Craig, has been a shock and they are grieving,” the statement read. “They join the rest of the community praying as their hearts pour out to the Owens family.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/20/4838949/past-of-man-suspected-of-killing.html#storylink=cpy

Dee Wampler is a high profile, controversial "celebrity" attorney. He seems an unusual choice for Woods' parents to hire and he's likely pretty expensive. Apparently Woods' parents are people of means, if not wealthy, they're pretty well off by local standards and likely well known in the community.

I hate to think about it, but if LE had not found so much tragic evidence at Woods' home, he likely would never have been convicted of this crime, even if they had identified his pickup and plates. His family likely would have hired Dee Wampler to defend Wood and, given his many friends, parent's standing in the community, and minor criminal background, Wampler probably would have gotten him off. Springfield is the kind of town where your reputation in the community counts for everything, for better or worse.

Like many others, I also have a gut feeling this wasn't his first killing.

Why would the parents need an attorney,maybe it is to protect the million dollar trust fund.

The article says the attorneys were hired to be their public spokesperson. I personally think they are wise to do so. They are victims in this crime also. Can you imagine having your adult child commit such a heinous crime? I wouldn't want to have to speak about it at all, let alone be interviewed on camera where my words and face would be broadcast all over the world. They need their own time & space to grieve for the loss of innocent life at the hands of their son.

Also, thank you to those of you that have explained all the different types of trusts. Considering that the trust may hold real estate, retirement accounts, and other assets of the parents - $1 million isn't that large . Not saying I have $1 mil sitting around but if they own significantly large pieces of land, a home, other assets & savings, etc.

First post on this thread.. Just letting y'all know it's on JVM now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The three ring binder that he had, would it be more likely that he had photos that he personally took vs off the pc? Just something I was thinking about.

Yes, Mike Brooks said they didn't have the full tag #.

I thought they had two different possibilities for what it could be. I also did not know that he pleaded not guilty. Must have missed that somewhere.

I thought they had two different possibilities for what it could be. I also did not know that he pleaded not guilty. Must have missed that somewhere.

I believe so but he said they still had to run thru different combinations. I am not sure that is accurate.

Why would the parents need an attorney,maybe it is to protect the million dollar trust fund.

From what I read, the parents originally hired the atty to represent their son. Now that he's wanting a public defender, they have retained the atty to "be their spokesman." Don't blame them; they are elderly, well-respected in their community, and this has got to be a shock to them if it was to the friends and coworkers who knew him. (BTW--and this is referencing something another poster mentioned--I don't believe they necessarily bought him all those guns, just because they had a trust fund set up for him and his brother. Seems like hunting deer was a long-time hobby of CW's, and he probably bought the vast majority of them himself over the years.)

A child/beneficiary can be the executor/administrator of a family trust... at least in CA/AZ. I'm the executrix of our family trust. Ours is being update shortly, too.
Inheritances are no longer taxable (until/unless in excess of like 5.25 million dollars or more... snipped from Wikipedia here: On December 16, 2010, Congress passed the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, which was signed into law by President Barack Obama on December 17, 2010. The 2010 Act changed, among other things, the rate structure for estates of decedents dying after December 31, 2009, subject to certain exceptions. It also served to reunify the estate tax credit (aka exemption equivalent) with the federal gift tax credit (aka exemption equivalent). The gift tax exemption is equal to $5,250,000.[2] for estates of decedents dying in 2013, and $5,340,000 for estates of decedents dying in 2014.[24])
So, while family trusts still exist, they are not commonly tax avoidance shelters anymore, except for the exceedingly wealthy. But they DO protect income and assets from lots of other scenarios, and avoid nasty probates when there is no will, since a will in incorporated into the trust itself.

Yes, the tax situation on large inheritances has changed in the last decade, so that trusts are not set up just for that tax shelter purpose anymore. Didn't mean to imply it's illegal for an adult child to be a trustee, just that it's not common when these are set up (often when children are still minors), and attys usually advise that a close friend of the family be elected for the job. Not sure if it's illegal in any state, it's just that having the child as trustee isn't usually advised--can be a conflict of interest and defeat some of the purposes of having a trust.

Dee Wampler is a high profile, controversial "celebrity" attorney. He seems an unusual choice for Woods' parents to hire and he's likely pretty expensive. Apparently Woods' parents are people of means, if not wealthy, they're pretty well off by local standards and likely well known in the community. <snipped for space>

Not to quibble, but I thought it was Joe P. of that partnership that they hired (and then retained for spokesman)?

ETA: Nevermind, it appears they've hired them 'both' to be their spokespersons:

"The Woods have hired attorneys Dee Wampler and Joseph Passanise to serve as their spokespersons during this process. In a statement released Thursday evening, the attorneys said the Woods are cooperating fully with law enforcement."

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/20/4838949/past-of-man-suspected-of-killing.html#storylink=cpy

Not to quibble, but I thought it was Joe P. of that partnership that they hired (and then retained for spokesman)?

We're both right! :loveyou: According to the Kansas City Star article above, they hired them both. They're partners and are probably sharing the work.

His parents, Jim and Genie Wood, bred cattle and fox trotter horses on their farm near Ash Grove. Wood has helped them with chores, friends said, and even showed one of their fox trotters at a 2007 competition. He earned fifth place in an amateur division.

The Woods have hired attorneys Dee Wampler and Joseph Passanise to serve as their spokespersons during this process. In a statement released Thursday evening, the attorneys said the Woods are cooperating fully with law enforcement.

Also, an online search shows his parents have a very large farm outside of Springfield where they breed cattle and horses. The trust fund is likely for passing along the property. On google maps, it looks like they own a very large amount of real estate.

We're both right! :loveyou: According to the Kansas City Star article above, they hired them both. They're partners and are probably sharing the work.

Lol, I just love that little jumping guy throwing hearts! ;D

Also, an online search shows his parents have a very large farm outside of Springfield where they breed cattle and horses. The trust fund is likely for passing along the property. On google maps, it looks like they own a very large amount of real estate.

Good point; that goes with what Toodles11 said above. If they own a lot of acreage, plus their own home and CW's $80K home, that million can be accounted for fairly quickly.

The three ring binder that he had, would it be more likely that he had photos that he personally took vs off the pc? Just something I was thinking about.
He had more than 1 video recorder per the search warrant as far as I remember. I took that to mean he was the one taking the photos

Coaches often use video cameras to review/critique players during practice or games, too. Not so sure about at the Jr high level, but yeah... (shudders)

I really would like to know what was found in the purple folder that contained documents and pictures-and the grey binder with the "printed images." :(

I really would like to know what was found in the purple folder that contained documents and pictures-and the grey binder with the "printed images." :(
or the notebooks of stories. I am not sure I really want to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmeyer