GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still thinking this has to be a mistake on the checkmark entry on the form.
As we both know, chain of custody has to be as minimal (direct) as possible, exchanging as few hands and locations as possible. Typically the officer that first places his hands on evidence/inventory for retrieval, is *the one* to directly/solely take custody of that evidence until it reaches the crime lab, evidence room, or wherever it is intended to be received.

All of the items listed on page 1 surely appear to have been items originally found in Room B of the home. They appear to all *possibly* be from the basement, tho we cannot be certain of Room B's location.

But if you are correct, then "somewhere" there would have to be another (previous) inventory/property sheet showing them on a "Items Received From" sheet, with their original location. That is why I still think it is just a mistake on page 1 of the form.

There are two copies of the items taken in the search warrant. One copy of items taken is 'returned' with the search warrant.

The copy left in the home shows items 'received (from)'.

Maybe we are talking about two different things.

:moo: :seeya:

There are two copies of the items taken in the search warrant. One copy of items taken is 'returned' with the search warrant.

The copy left in the home shows items 'received (from)'.

Maybe we are talking about two different things.

:moo: :seeya:

I agree there are 2 copies of each property/inventory sheet.
One copy will be given to the owner of those items as a receipt, however in this case the owner is the arrested perp, so all LE has to do is leave that "receipt" copy with the warrant in a conspicuous place in the home.
But that receipt (copy of inventory list) will still show "Items Received From" with that home's address.

The other copy (the original) is the copy that stays with LE and the case, which is also checkmarked "Items Received From".

It's possible that we are missing some details, such as another search and items received, such as from the vehicle, but I don't see it likely, at this point. Nothing is noted as being taken from the vehicle. Possibly the garage? But if so, it would be specified very distinctly, for those items.
ETA: Even if there were another item location or search, it would appear to be irrelevant to the this particular form and subject at hand.

Still scratching my head on this...
Where is Judge Judy when you need her?!

Wasn't the laundromat searched? I had read it was but maybe MSM had it wrong and LE were just there

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free

Wasn't the laundromat searched? I had read it was but maybe MSM had it wrong and LE were just there

Yes it was. Those items retrieved from the laundromat were different than the items listed on the home search warrant 4 page inventory/property list, and the laundromat inventory list would have been on a different inventory list, not connected to the home search warrant.

Yes it was. Those items retrieved from the laundromat were different than the items listed on the home search warrant 4 page inventory/property list, and the laundromat inventory list would have been on a different inventory list, not connected to the home search warrant.

Thank you

Has that been released?

Question, I noticed on the search warrants that Items to be searched for did not include a body, nor was it listed under items found. Is there a separate warrant for that? Also if the body was fully clothed when they found her.

Original poster's pics snipped by me for space.

I agree that it appears the home originally was raised pier/beam foundation, but was later supported and had a full or partial basement installed with full depth concrete foundation walls.

I think it is also possible the entire east portion of the house (behind the front porch) may have been a later addition, (IF) at which time access to basement excavation could have been done on that side. The rear S/W vestibule also seems to be a later addition, as it matches the rearward projection length of that east 1/3 of the present house, as it extends beyond the main portion of the house.

See pic/aerial shot (below) as viewed from the east and above.
12716972644_f8019637e0_b.jpg

I did notice horizontal concrete form seams on the west side of the house, and won't go into technical detail, but it indicates a full concrete foundation was poured underneath, with house in place, at sometime over the years.

What's odd is that the present rear door entrance is not on the driveway or rear side of the vestibule, which would allow easier access from exiting a driveway vehicle, but it is on the 'inward' east side, making one go 'the long way around' to enter the rear door.

BTW, I also gave more thought on that puzzling 'single bullet' found. Another possibility is that it was the bullet(projectile) used in the murder, which left her body via an exit wound.

I wondered that about the bullet at first (if it was a through and through)--but the fact that it came from room H and the casing from room B (the basement, where the blue storage containers were) made me decide against that.

I agree - the house looks piecemeal, like parts were added here and there over the years. That can happen in a modest home - but 'adding on' a basement to an $80K home...personally, I've never heard of it. (Hubby and I have done a lot of remodeling and built our current home. He's in construction.) Here's another aerial I had but didn't post last night:

BING AERIAL

The little back door entry vestibule looks tacked on (crammed right up against the kitchen window), with the entry door in a strange place. All the way around on the east side (not visible). Is that because it couldn't be put on the south side due to an underground stair going that way?

And the house, when it was built, was a "no basement" home. Just crawl space, as is typical for pier & beam.

eppraisal.com – no basement on public property records:

So, being as how it was like most pier & beam homes and didn’t have a basement when it was built in 1940, who went to all the expense of adding on a basement (still not in public record) since then—and why?? It truly doesn’t make financial sense to invest that kind of expense (digging, pouring concrete floor) in this modest property.

Guess I’ll always look at odd basement additions suspiciously, now (especially if they’re part of the home of someone committing sex crimes). Anyone else remember the Austrian Josef Fritzl who tunneled basement cells under his garden – secret rooms that held his daughter, Elisabeth Fritzl, 42, hostage for 24 years so he could father seven children by her?

http://www.cnn.com/2008/WORLD/europe/04/28/austria.cellar/index.html?iref=topnews

Snipped by me

Kathleen Turner and also Brad Pitt were from there, too. :)

I keep thinking about Hailey's family, especially her mom, and being so thankful she has all of this support surrounding her. She seems to be strong and has so much strength embracing her. I know the hearts of Hailey's family will never be the same because they've witnessed such evil, but I do hope that they can get through this intact.

I also can't help but think of CMW's parents and his family, too. Their son did something the world is hating him for, with good reason, but I just can't imagine how a parent would hold their head up and go on after something like this. I do wonder how good of a relationship he had with his parents and his brother and family. I know we'll never get it but I really need to know why. Why did he have to kill her and not just let her go. He seemed prepared for this act and was out riding around looking for his victim, so why didn't he just prepare to let her go after he harmed her?

JMO
RE: He seemed prepared for this act and was out riding around looking for his victim, so why didn't he just prepare to let her go after he harmed her?

menmo, after researching sexual predators/serial killers for over six years. This question keeps cropping up time and time again; 'Why did he have to kill her'?

Green River SK Gary Ridgeway's statement to task force investigators when guiding them to his unknown victims; “I dumped ‘it’ in that location” says it all. With each discovery, GR went on to say that he felt that they were unfairly taking something that belonged to him.
Although their victims are considered only objects to them. The victims are the predator's possessions, assets; protected property, to them..

Although there are many behavior traits & indicators of sexual predators/SKs in training. One of the common denominators of experienced predators that keeps coming up, is crossing the threshold from fantasy to reality at the age of 14/15 years old.
Imo, stealth predator CMW, was no exception, and was actively preying under the radar for three decades.

Here's a diagram of pier & beam construction for those who wonder what the heck I'm talking about. (I wouldn't either except for being married to a construction-savvy hubby, who taught me anything I know about it.)

By Brian Foster
BIO

Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/images-timeline-of-hailey-owens-abduction/24557304#ixzz2uACxJXC0

Late Wednesday: A probable cause statement said the fourth-grader's body was found stuffed in two trash bags inside plastic storage containers in the basement of Wood's Springfield home. She had been shot in the head, according to Greene County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Patterson.
<BBM for focus>

http://www.kmbc.com/news/images-timeline-of-hailey-owens-abduction/24557304#ixzz2uA1IMTx0

Question, I noticed on the search warrants that Items to be searched for did not include a body, nor was it listed under items found. Is there a separate warrant for that? Also if the body was fully clothed when they found her.

Good question. I looked at the wording on the search warrant itemized list--and it'd be my guess that a body wasn't listed b/c of it not being in LE possession after the search (she was likely released to the ME office):

"I, Chris Barb...discovered the following property described in the warrant, which I then and there took into my possession."

Here's a diagram of pier & beam construction for those who wonder what the heck I'm talking about. (I wouldn't either except for being married to a construction-savvy hubby for decades, who taught me anything I know about it.)

I wonder if it might be some type of storm cellar?

PoirotriInMotion: I believe you are right. If you look at the longer side of that house that extends further back, it has apparently been added later. And also has almost a flat roof. If that had been part of the original house I don't believe it would have been done that way. In many of these older homes during that era they had a well out back, and no running water, therefor a outhouse. Remember we were in the "country" at that time.

When the updates take place years later foundations were done differently. IMO when they added on they probably (IMO) excavated down and poured at leasr a partial basement. People had become more tornado aware also and to use them as "storm shelter). So I believe the entry on the back and that whole one side was added later.

I did not add a link. But I think the posts you guys have done so well already shows the areas I'm speaking of. JMO

I wonder if it might be some type of storm cellar?

That's what I wondered. Also why I was wondering if it was dug towards the rear yard when added (it's a narrow, very deep lot from aerial view). The way it was written in the search documents made it sound like the stairway to the basement was immediately there inside the rear door (along with bleach bottles in a bag on the floor). I'd think it'd be way more difficult to add a cellar under a pier and beam house than to just put it under the yard. In fact, that vestibule seems too small to have a stairway go successfully under the house.

My bet is the cellar went towards the back yard; I wonder how far. I sure hope it is searched thoroughly.

PoirotriInMotion: I believe you are right. If you look at the longer side of that house that extends further back, it has apparently been added later. And also has almost a flat roof. If that had been part of the original house I don't believe it would have been done that way. In many of these older homes during that era they had a well out back, and no running water, therefor a outhouse. Remember we were in the "country" at that time.

When the updates take place years later foundations were done differently. IMO when they added on they probably (IMO) excavated down and poured at leasr a partial basement. People had become more tornado aware also and to use them as "storm shelter). So I believe the entry on the back and that whole one side was added later.

I did not add a link. But I think the posts you guys have done so well already shows the areas I'm speaking of. JMO

I see what you're talking about--the east side of the house looks different than the west. However, I believe the foundation aspect looks uniform all around (see photo of front of the house upthread), and it's hard to imagine they'd build a house even in 1940 with only about 600 sq.' of living space. Which is about how big the west half would be without the eastern half. So, I'm guessing, while odd looking, the east side is probably part of the original home's foundation 'footprint' (home has approx. 1000 sq.' living space), though the roofline might have changed over the years.

He kidnapped, murdered and hid the body of a 10 year old child. During their search of his home LE found a notebook of child *advertiser censored*. Isn't that enough probable cause to search land he at one time lived on? What about other children who vanished from that area? Someone kindly listed those a few days ago. Shouldn't that contribute to probable cause ? Just thinking out loud.

Well, you and I think so! :) But the law sometimes says otherwise. I'm not well-versed in that (what constitutes enough grounds for probable cause that it gets a search warrant).

In 2006 I moved back home to care for my Mom. Back to the house I grew up in actually. This house over the years has been added onto 3 times. Once when running water came in, to add a bathroom, off the kitchen. Once again along the back to add another bathroom for us kids later and the dining room. That part with a cinderblock foundation. And then after I got out od college and moved away my Grandmother was showing signs of Alzheimers Disease. So my Father added on once again to put a one bedroom "mother in law" quarters for her and moved her from Indiana. That part he had a full basement under it. So there is a "crawl space under the original house and a basement under that one. Make sense?

Back in the day people bought homes for a lifetime. As my Mom would say "to die here". But all in all the original house was about 700 square feet. Now it's about 2300 square feet. And she did was she said, she died here.

I keep seeing this, so I wanted to point out something that may not be obvious. There might not have been much left of her head, or it was otherwise obvious that she had not survived. One wouldn't need to check for a pulse, in that case.

Also, we don't know that they didn't check. I think a lot is being assumed about how LE handled the crime scene. None of us were there and all we have to go on is what LE has released to the media.

I have known (through my support group) several parents who found their children after gswh. Hard to even identify them afterwards. :(

Last I read the parents had not been allowed to see her body. I'd put a sad face on that comment, but in a way, I think it's also a blessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024