GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow! So scary! And it sounds like the school did everything right in checking him out before he was hired. The school district can't comment on details of his employment record. But, at least so far, I haven't read any reports of parents or colleagues saying they were concerned about his behavior or comments. I think the school would not have him working as the ISS aide unless they thought he was trustworthy.

A news story yesterday had a mom who said he tried to approach her young daughter a few weeks ago.

Thanks for the info folks that there actually was a dog. Likely a lure. IMO

A news story yesterday had a mom who said he tried to approach her young daughter a few weeks ago.

Thanks, SStarr33. I haven't read that. Hope others come forward also.

Was that a lady with blonde hair in a pony tail? There was one yesterday who said that he was acting funny and she told her husband but he dismissed her. SHe said that she thought he was looking for her daughter when he found Hailey.

Oh I know you are. I was just bouncing off your post. Seems he kept it well hidden?
I imagine he kept it well hidden but I wonder if he 'approached' children where he worked?

Sorry to keep posting single comments: reading Facebook and the group Missouri Citizen Militia has stated that Westboro Baptist Church will be protesting her candle light vigil Saturday at 8:00 at Commercial and Campbell and the group plans to be there.

I'd love to slap the crap outta those people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that a lady with blonde hair in a pony tail? There was one yesterday who said that he was acting funny and she told her husband but he dismissed her. SHe said that she thought he was looking for her daughter when he found Hailey.

I did not see a photo/video, but yes, that is what was said in the article I read.

I wonder if he was inappropriate towards children but they were oblivious?

The reason I suggest that is because on more than one occasion in my employment I was called in by HR to discuss sexual harassment that had been done to me that others had observed. I wasn't the only person who had been subject to the inappropriate behavior, I had just never reported it. I didn't welcome the behavior, but it was so pale in comparison to what other employees has subjected me to that it wasn't even a blip on my radar.

This is a good article and there is one comment in the comments section that stands out to me about his behavior at school.I think more will come out soon enough.http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/20/4838949/past-of-man-suspected-of-killing.html

From the article above-actually it was this that stood out to me:

.....The Woods have hired attorneys Dee Wampler and Joseph Passanise to serve as their spokespersons during this process. In a statement released Thursday evening, the attorneys said the Woods are cooperating fully with law enforcement.

“This unexpected incident involving their son, Craig, has been a shock and they are grieving,” the statement read. “They join the rest of the community praying as their hearts pour out to the Owens family.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/20/4838949/past-of-man-suspected-of-killing.html#storylink=cpy

I read the the funeral home is doing the funeral for free.

In Missouri they have a victim's fund which will allow up to $5000.00 per victim for burial. This will help the family bury their dear child.

I shudder to think what he had on those two video camera's in his house.To think this perp was a coach is beyond belief

Anyone know what the next step is in the legal process??? Nothing until March 19th? (Sorry, I am really new with this stuff)

Her poor family. How horrific for them to be able to read the contents of the search warrant - including the inventory found... heartbreaking!

Today he was formally charged (arraignment). Next he will probably have a preliminary hearing (which decides if it's a felony). Next he will be arraigned again under a felony judge. Then there will be hearings for motions and other court stuff. There may be many postponements until there is a trial. It could be next year or longer before he goes to trial.

This is going to be hard on the family waiting for justice and then having to sit through the trial.

I still truly believe what we are going to see in this case is the exception to the normal.
By that I mean with profiling child predators, pedophiles and child killers.

I understand that his parents provided his house and truck. With an annual income of $17k a year, I'm assuming they also purchased his many guns, cameras, and video cameras.

I just don't understand why. I love my kids and spoil them absolutely to death, but one they are adults I expect them to take care of themselves financially.

In response to the article that said that it's surprising that he's held steady employment due to the nature of the crime. Sure he's held a job since 1998, but he's worked minimal hours and his work hasn't been year round.

From the article above-actually it was this that stood out to me:

.....The Woods have hired attorneys Dee Wampler and Joseph Passanise to serve as their spokespersons during this process. In a statement released Thursday evening, the attorneys said the Woods are cooperating fully with law enforcement.

“This unexpected incident involving their son, Craig, has been a shock and they are grieving,” the statement read. “They join the rest of the community praying as their hearts pour out to the Owens family.”

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/20/4838949/past-of-man-suspected-of-killing.html#storylink=cpy

Why would the parents need an attorney,maybe it is to protect the million dollar trust fund.

Prior to modification of inheritance/estate taxes, trust funds were commonly used to maximize inheritance dollars landing in kids' hands after their parents' death. If that's what is at play here (family trust), he can't touch that money until his parents are deceased. It's their money, sheltered so to speak, intended as inheritance.

Well that is sad for the sibling. Unless they have one for him too.

That's a good point. Trust funds can be set up so many different ways. He may inherit a lump sum in the event of his parents’ death. They could have set up a trust to ensure the money wasn't squandered quickly in the hope it could just supplement the perps income and help him live a nice life, but without enough surplus income for it to become a problem.

Just in case anyone isn't sure (or hasn't seen earlier posts which I think discuss the fact that the perp may not have access to this money) how they may work. There are many, many different ways that trust finds can be used. People who are awarded large sums for example through compensation often have trusts which allow them to take money as they wish. It doesn't seem like this is the case (as it's in his parents name). They're possibly trying to reduce the inheritance taxes associated with the perp or anyone else would have to pay on receipt of the money. They may also just want a tax efficient way to save their money.

So the perp could inherit the lot in the event of his parents death. It is very common for people to receive lump sum payments from a trust a different intervals, such as every 10 years or on significant birthdays. He may get a monthly allowance to top up his income over a set number of years plus interest accumulated.
This would mean he couldn't take money from the trust at any other time than outlined in the trust. This isn't money he can get his hands on.

That most likely explains why he still needs his parents to co-sign, he has a low income from his job.

Usually the biggest chunk of a family trust is real estate/property, unless there is a substantial retirement account. The parents' home or other property they own/co-own, including collectible firearms, jewelry, vehicles, etc. My family has a trust. We are not wealthy-schmealthy people. But my parents did buy a few properties decades ago, and at last valuation, the trust showed $X in valuation for the real estate, based on appraisals at that time (~10 years ago). The trust's valuation isn't constantly updated, so on paper 1 million dollars, if largely stocks or real estate, could well be far less (even 1/2) thanks to real estate values plummeting nationwide and stock market slumps hitting pensions/401Ks really hard.

I can comment on these in part b/c we've just been doing this sort of thing with a lawyer (in fact, just got back from today's appointment). We've had 3 parents pass away in as many years, and hubby and I realize it's time to make sure all things are in order for our children if/when the inevitable happens (hopefully many years down the pike!).

A trust is set up by parents who've chosen a 'trustee' (not one of their children) to administer the trust. The trustee administers the money in that trust according to the parameters set up in the written trust agreement. For example, the one we just set up today allows that our children receive 1/3 of the family trust income at three different times in their lives (eg. 25th, 35th, etc. birthdays). A key intent of setting up a trust is so that if hubby and I were to die together and/or unexpectedly, our children would not be suddenly inundated with the total sum of their inheritance at probate (however modest, lol). It can be a wise thing to consider even if you're not rolling in dollars, because it gives the trustee (someone whose wisdom you trust) the ability to have discretion with how that money is metered out, and to make sure it's given for the purpose of buying a home, setting up a business, paying for college, etc.- (as opposed to funding bad business ventures, addictions, or worse).

Sometimes a family trust (if the parents are very wealthy) is set up in order to 'gift' children a max of untaxable $10K each per year (or whatever the law is), so that their inheritance doesn't get so heavily taxed at time of probate. But even for parents with less sizable incomes it still makes sense in that their surviving children don't have immediate access to all the proceeds from real estate, life insurance payouts, bank accounts, stocks, bonds, etc., in the event of their death. Even if your children are responsible, upstanding citizens, it's a wise thing to consider. It will also protect your child's inheritance (big or small) from being "community property" in the case of a bad/sad marriage, where a swindler-type might marry your trusting, completely in-love child, and then file for divorce within the year, expecting to walk off with half their inheritance. (And yes, sadly, that does and did happen.)

Like I (and other posters) said earlier--teachers don't make a lot of money. But with both his parents being professionals, (and with CW's acknowledged irresponsible attitude in college and substance abuse issues back then), I'm sure it made sense for them to set up a family trust. (There may also have been earlier family money to incorporate into this, too.) But even if there are $1M of assets in a trust account, that doesn't necessarily mean there's adequate funding available for a private atty for him. The court will sort that out, and I suppose we'll find out more at the March hearing.

A child/beneficiary can be the executor/administrator of a family trust... at least in CA/AZ. I'm the executrix of our family trust. Ours is being update shortly, too.
Inheritances are no longer taxable (until/unless in excess of like 5.25 million dollars or more... snipped from Wikipedia here: On December 16, 2010, Congress passed the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010, which was signed into law by President Barack Obama on December 17, 2010. The 2010 Act changed, among other things, the rate structure for estates of decedents dying after December 31, 2009, subject to certain exceptions. It also served to reunify the estate tax credit (aka exemption equivalent) with the federal gift tax credit (aka exemption equivalent). The gift tax exemption is equal to $5,250,000.[2] for estates of decedents dying in 2013, and $5,340,000 for estates of decedents dying in 2014.[24])
So, while family trusts still exist, they are not commonly tax avoidance shelters anymore, except for the exceedingly wealthy. But they DO protect income and assets from lots of other scenarios, and avoid nasty probates when there is no will, since a will in incorporated into the trust itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nurse4home