GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a terrible heartbreaking case this is, as are all child murders are of course.
It is very similar in many ways to the April Jones case which I followed very closely as I myself was brought up in a small Welsh village, similar to April, and all the kids in the village were always out and about playing even from a very young age.
Apart from the fact that Mark Bridger knew April, this case is very similar in the way that Bridger had no previous form relating to child assault, kidnapping or anything like that, he was in his mid forties when committing the heinous crime of kidnapping and murdering little April. He was seen by witnesses and he knew it but still continued to take April in his vehicle then assault and murder her. Child *advertiser censored* was found on his computer. He also pleaded not guilty to the crime.
I believe that it is unusual for men to suddenly start to commit this sort of crime at this relatively late stage of life, I wonder what made them change, do you think that when they start to look at child *advertiser censored* (a strange thing to do in any event) that it somehow changes their brain/mentality ?
Also as an aside question, don't know much about this Westboro church, why would they be protesting at a vigil for a murdered child and what are they protesting about ?

This does seem similar. I followed the heartbreaking search for April Jones too but haven't followed it since Bridger was arrested. Did LE ever discover that he had a history of child molestation? Was April's body ever recovered?

I know this group is crazy… and I've often heard about them protesting at soldier's funerals… and I assumed that they were protesting the war or something.

What on earth would they claim to be protesting in a situation like this?

Westboro makes their income by making people outraged and suing when someone shoulder-butts them or does something like that. They are all lawyers and a lot of people think their modus operandi is to cause outrage so they can 1) sue 2) bring attention to their cause. Their cause is that they think God is punishing the United States for allowing gays to go about their business. They weren't protesting the war when they picketed soldiers' funerals; they were saying "See there? God is punishing America" and also "Go ahead, throw a punch. Anyone."

When this first broke, I really thought that this was his first actual kidnapping/murder, because it was just sloppy the way he went about it. After reading those search warrants, I believe that I was way, way wrong. This guy has been hiding his horrible, evil, disgusting hobbies in plain sight, imo. I have a feeling that not everyone thought he was a "nice guy", either - all that stuff in his home and nobody had any questions? He was on perfect behavior all this time? Nope. Someone saw, heard, suspected something during all of these years, they had to have. IMO, though.

Breaks my heart :(

As my mother (RIP) used to say:
A thief starts out stealing a penny from his mother's purse.

(Crime progression...)

Bumped. I can no longer edit my original comment #399.

I incorrectly stated the call letters for KY3. This is to correct which I did in the above text.

Call letters for KY3: KYTV

After posting so many links since this case unfolded, I know the call letters for KY3. No more posting in the wee hours for me . . . :crosseyed:

Thank you, techpuppy, for bringing this mistake to my attention. I appreciate it.

You are a treasure. Thanks isn't enough. I appreciate you keeping us up to date with the court information. :loveyou:

I am so confused as to why people want him to have to use his money. You want him to be able to afford a team of hotshot lawyers? Why?

If I'm understand this correctly, people want him to use his money for an attny so the creep won't cry ineffective counsel.

As my mother (RIP) used to say:
A thief starts out stealing a penny from his mother's purse.

(Crime progression...)

Exactly! I'm actually reading John Douglas's "Anatomy of a Motive" right now, and it explains so much about the clues and signs that so many of these offenders show throughout their lives. How they start out small, then progress... it's disturbing but fascinating. Those clues and signs had to have been there in Wood's case, but they were either overlooked, excused away, or just flat-out ignored. :moo:

"Oh, that's just weird Uncle Craig, he doesn't mean any harm."

Not so much :(

Well, after reading all four pages of "Grounds For Issuance" (last four pages of that first warrant link), I can see why he's not wasting money on attys. Not only the preponderance of damning evidence in that long inventory list (blood-stained articles, bleach bottles, media & equipment, etc.--from multiple rooms) but this:

"Det. Shipley observed what appeared to be blood on Craig's t-shirt during the interview."

I can only imagine he's pleading 'not guilty' b/c it's standard at this stage, he just got the court-appointed atty, and he hasn't had time to confer much with him yet. He's toast.

Is it possible this *((&^ videotaped what he did to Hailey? :banghead:

http://www.news-leader.com/article/...l-was-slain-finds-child-*advertiser censored*

"When Imhoff read the charge of armed criminal action involving a deadly weapon, Wood appeared to display a look of significant surprise, raising both eyebrows as the charge was read."

I wonder why he did that?

He probably thought 'I didn't use a gun to kidnap her.....I only used it to murder her later'

JMO

Man to plead not guilty in Missouri girl's kidnap, murder - defense

I know some people were asking about his million dollar trust fund and wondering what his parents did for a living:

Wood's parents, J and G Wood, live in Ash Grove, Missouri, just outside of Springfield. JW is a retired teacher and his wife a nurse, according to a statement Passanise issued on their behalf Thursday night.

----
While I was looking through the public records, I noticed that his parents have a trust in place with their names. I think they transferred real estate in to it. It is possible that they have their estate planning set up so that there is a trust set up for CMW AFTER their death. If that's the case then he more than likely cannot touch any of that money. So he makes $17k a year, his dad co-owns his house, he drives his dad's truck... Anyone else get the feeling that this man probably gets everything handed to him? Hopefully he gets handed a death sentence on a silver platter.

It actually makes me think he had issues with handling money. I can't understand why anyone his age, with a trust fund wouldn't own their own vehicle.

It actually makes me think he had issues with handling money. I can't understand why anyone his age, with a trust fund wouldn't own their own vehicle.

It could mean that his parents are worth that much and after they are gone he will get the estate in the will.....not that he has it now.

Prior to modification of inheritance/estate taxes, trust funds were commonly used to maximize inheritance dollars landing in kids' hands after their parents' death. If that's what is at play here (family trust), he can't touch that money until his parents are deceased. It's their money, sheltered so to speak, intended as inheritance.

It could mean that his parents are worth that much and after they are gone he will get the estate in the will.....not that he has it now.

Well that is sad for the sibling. Unless they have one for him too.

That's a good point. Trust funds can be set up so many different ways. He may inherit a lump sum in the event of his parents’ death. They could have set up a trust to ensure the money wasn't squandered quickly in the hope it could just supplement the perps income and help him live a nice life, but without enough surplus income for it to become a problem.

Just in case anyone isn't sure (or hasn't seen earlier posts which I think discuss the fact that the perp may not have access to this money) how they may work. There are many, many different ways that trust finds can be used. People who are awarded large sums for example through compensation often have trusts which allow them to take money as they wish. It doesn't seem like this is the case (as it's in his parents name). They're possibly trying to reduce the inheritance taxes associated with the perp or anyone else would have to pay on receipt of the money. They may also just want a tax efficient way to save their money.

So the perp could inherit the lot in the event of his parents death. It is very common for people to receive lump sum payments from a trust a different intervals, such as every 10 years or on significant birthdays. He may get a monthly allowance to top up his income over a set number of years plus interest accumulated.
This would mean he couldn't take money from the trust at any other time than outlined in the trust. This isn't money he can get his hands on.

That most likely explains why he still needs his parents to co-sign, he has a low income from his job.

I am thinking a trust fund from grandparents or something.
Unless his parents invested wisely it seems a million dollars for each child is excessive for a teacher and a nurse. Of course this is just my opinion and I am only going off what teachers here make.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk now Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member