MO MO - Jessica Runions, 21, Kansas City, 8 Sept 2016 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean I'm fine with this if that's what it takes to get a result in the case but I can't fathom why search warrant reports were published by the media?

If someone can explain the rationale here to someone in the UK? I also don't see why LE couldn't do a PC if for no other reason than to show they mean business in solving the case.

I wonder if there may be someone else involved, so that's why they are sealed. Rumors and innuendo from social media aren't allowed here, but that doesn't mean I don't look at them.

They probably got the search warrant from AY since it was his house they served it at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure about that. I recall the articles that went along with them being shown stated things like "court records show". Seemed official to me and they were published within hours? of the searches being conducted.

Right, so you think the seal was a response to the publication of the search warrants? The only thing with that is they came from LE presumably by a legitimate request from the media? Like I said this is all alien to me and makes zero sense that on the one hand info is shared that just shouldn't (IMO) and on the other LE are totally silent and not talking to the media or doing any public appeals.
Just a guess but maybe the warrant was given over to the media on site by an inexperienced officer who didn't know any better...I also think media coverage was shut down around that time, at least to anything that LE was doing. I think there was no PC today because they just don't want the media speculation. If I had to venture a guess, LE doesn't want to jeopardize a potential murder trial and conviction if/when they get the evidence they need. A murder trial for KY has the potential to draw a media spectacle given the connection to Kara Kopetsky. A guilty conviction can be easily overturned and new trial granted if a judge can be convinced that the defendant wasn't given a fair trial due to a supposed witch hunt by the media. Too much media coverage at this time in the KC area could lead a defense attorney to easily be able to prove a jury was tainted.

I know the evidence is sealed, however at the time I made the comment no media had reported on what occurred in court today ...which within the hour 2 news articles came out on what occurred... Not that I was expecting media to have evidence from the case to publish.

Agree media should not have any evidence presented out to the public

Jennifer, the friend in court, indicated to the media after today's hearing she had texted with KY throughout the day, following Jessica's disappearance. I thought that was interesting. Pings and all.

Editing to add a link: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article105029001.html This one has more information from JENNIFER about the texting with KY.

I wonder if there may be someone else involved, so that's why they are sealed. Rumors and innuendo from social media aren't allowed here, but that doesn't mean I don't look at them.

LOL ... jarban we all look at them, its like a guilty sin we shouldn't do it but we do anyway.

Just a thought, with KY's active texting with Jennifer, he may have been texting someone else who did come to his rescue. Keep in mind, the texting with Jennifer occurred in "the in between" meaning the hours, almost two days, he had after he left the party/get together and before Jessica's car was found burning. I think this case is so solvable. I also have this twitch in the back of my mind, blunders will be made, like with Kara's case, that will keep what seems an obviously solvable case from reaching closure due to bureaucracy and egos.

Just a guess but maybe the warrant was given over to the media on site by an inexperienced officer who didn't know any better...I also think media coverage was shut down around that time, at least to anything that LE was doing. I think there was no PC today because they just don't want the media speculation. If I had to venture a guess, LE doesn't want to jeopardize a potential murder trial and conviction if/when they get the evidence they need. A murder trial for KY has the potential to draw a media spectacle given the connection to Kara Kopetsky. A guilty conviction can be easily overturned and new trial granted if a judge can be convinced that the defendant wasn't given a fair trial due to a supposed witch hunt by the media. Too much media coverage at this time in the KC area could lead a defense attorney to easily be able to prove a jury was tainted.

The warrant and what was taken was shown by the grandfather to the media once the police left his home. That is how the media got a picture of it. They didn't get it through legal channels. The case is sealed.

Interesting. Well KY can't be in 2 places at once. Was grandfather at the party? I don't think so. KY was either leaving his gpa's house at 9:30 or leaving the party with Jessica...but then later witness statements say he didn't leave the party until after midnight.

http://www.kmbc.com/article/witness...rent-at-party-where-woman-disappeared/3859725

Also, I find it curious that the only interview we have from someone at the party was someone who didn't know Jessica and had only met KY "a few times" before. Where are all the interviews from her friends and his friends?
LE has probably asked them not to talk in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. I'm glad they are listening.

LE has probably asked them not to talk in order to protect the integrity of the investigation. I'm glad they are listening.

I hope that's the case! I'm just concerned because no additional charges have been made against him. Does anyone know how much time he could face for the arson alone? Perhaps LE are counting on the arson trial to give them time to build a strong case against him (and find Jessica)?

I hope that's the case! I'm just concerned because no additional charges have been made against him. Does anyone know how much time he could face for the arson alone? Perhaps LE are counting on the arson trial to give them time to build a strong case against him (and find Jessica)?
In Missouri, arson is a Class D felony. I'm not sure if arson is given the same classification in all states. I think that he can be sentenced to up to four years and be fined up to $5,000 as well. I'm still reading a little bit though, I think that Missouri is in the process of implementing updates to their classifications and sentencings in 2017, so it may all depend on when a jury trial might begin and how long it would take. https://enlightenme.com/class-d-felonies/

Yes I very much share in your concern in no additional charges yet. I looked up the charge of knowingly setting fire, and it appears this is a Class D Felony in Missouri, the lowest classes of Felony charges if you will. Max sentence is up to 4 years in prison. However, there that is the max and the judge has a range of sentencing options including probation options. Based on the fact that KY has prior offenses he very well could get the max. I couldn't find KY's drug offense in Case Net to see what the actual charge was, Felony Class C is what I think I had read in MSM. If that's the case the judge would have to take a prior felony conviction into consideration. That is if KY is found guilty of this current charge. I am nervous about this one, I am hoping for news of additional charge(s) to be brought against him soon!

http://www.mosac.mo.gov/page.jsp?id=45441

Jennifer, the friend in court, indicated to the media after today's hearing she had texted with KY throughout the day, following Jessica's disappearance. I thought that was interesting. Pings and all.

Editing to add a link: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article105029001.html This one has more information from JENNIFER about the texting with KY.

I had to go back and read this again. Here are her quotes for the timeline:
The woman, who would identify herself only as Jennifer, said Yust texted her around 2 a.m. Sept. 9, a little more than four hours after Yust left the gathering with Runions. “He wanted a ride,” Jennifer said. “He said his car was getting a new transmission. He wanted to hang out.”

Yust told her he was at his grandfather’s house, she said. The two texted back and forth until the next evening. She said it wasn’t until a day or two later that she learned about the missing Raymore woman.

Jennifer described her relationship with Yust as “just friends.” “He’s a very intelligent person to talk to. I never anticipated anything like this.”

BBM.
Again the timeline of when he left the party with Jessica shifts. 4 hours before 2 AM is 10 PM OR if we add a few minutes for the "a little more than 4 hours" it could be around 9:45 PM.
Is this the "shenanigans" girl? Or is this a different one? We DID hear that there was a girl KY tried to text to come pick him up before this interview. I wonder how many girls he texted that night looking for a ride...I really think he could have been looking for an alibi as well as a ride. I also wonder if he really had a car in the shop getting a new transmission. If true, he might have gotten his car back from the shop and driven it himself to Edwards.

I had to go back and read this again. Here are her quotes for the timeline: BBM. Again the timeline of when he left the party with Jessica shifts. 4 hours before 2 AM is 10 PM OR if we add a few minutes for the "a little more than 4 hours" it could be around 9:45 PM. Is this the "shenanigans" girl? Or is this a different one? We DID hear that there was a girl KY tried to text to come pick him up before this interview. I wonder how many girls he texted that night looking for a ride...I really think he could have been looking for an alibi as well as a ride. I also wonder if he really had a car in the shop getting a new transmission. If true, he might have gotten his car back from the shop and driven it himself to Edwards.
I think he was looking for an alibi as well. For a guy with so many violent offenses and beaten girls to his name, he sure does seem to have plenty of women still willing to keep him around and stick up for him. I mean, I feel sorry for the guy's past, but come on.

Revisiting the timeline of Jessica's communication:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article101235007.html

So her mother could not reach her at 8 PM and YET other articles said she texted her boyfriend at 9:30 PM. I'm started to suspect something happened before or around 9:30 and the text to her boyfriend was NOT from JR. JR had no reason to avoid her mother's texts and that sounds out of character for her. The article goes on to say JR had a drs appointment friday to follow up on her appendectomy. Why would she be out at a party when she was still recovering from surgery? She hadn't even been cleared to go back to work yet.
I don't know... There are certain people (like my fiancé) that I respond to promptly. Although I get along with my parents, sometimes I'll just text them later. I can understand her not texting her mom back. Especially if she was having a few drinks.

You'd be surprised how long it can take to bring murder charges. They do NOT want to do it until they have as much evidence as possible! Especially, in this case, where he's gotten away with (at least, IMO) one murder, already.

ETA - in a case I was involved with, it took 4 years to charge him.

I don't know... There are certain people (like my fiancé) that I respond to promptly. Although I get along with my parents, sometimes I'll just text them later. I can understand her not texting her mom back. Especially if she was having a few drinks.

Maybe. But witness accounts of JR at the party said she was NOT drinking that night. IMO, the texts with her mom on Wed night indicate they have a close relationship. You can see pictures of her texts here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-car-Missouri-woman-s-missing-three-days.html
She texted her mom "sweet dreams", her mom texted a pic with JR's little sister and JR texted back a pic of herself with her cat. I don't text my mom at all (she's not text savvy) but those are the type of texts I would send someone I was close to who texts. Plus, it's not just that she didn't reply to the text that is suspicious. Her phone went to voice mail when her mom tried to call as if the phone had been shut off. I admit to being absent minded and sometimes I forget to charge my phone. Maybe her phone was off because it needed charging. That could have happened, but later, her phone had to have been turned back on to text her boyfriend at 9:30. By that time, she could have had texts AND voice mail from her mom. Why didn't she text her mom a quick text back then? She had a dr's appt the next day her mom said was important to JR--she couldn't go back to work unless she was cleared by the dr. My guess would be her mom had texted her a question like, "Do you need such and such for the dr tomorrow? JMO, it must have been something specific she expected Jessica to answer or needed an answer about because she proceeded to call Jessica when she didn't text back. Maybe her mom was just an over-communicator and JR didn't want to deal with her texts that night but I just don't get that vibe from all I've read about JR. Her family is all over her fb photos making sweet comments about her for years going back to 2011 and she makes sweet and polite comments back. I don't see an ounce of rebellion or clashing with family or drama on her page, at least not on what is public. Again, all just a theory from what little we know of the timeline. IMO, JR didn't text her mom back because her phone was out of her possession by that time. Maybe her mom sent a question that whoever had JR's phone was not able to answer correctly. So they didn't answer at all. You can fake text as someone for a few texts but you can't fool someone for long...And those little cell phone pings will reveal the truth of what happened, I hope...

Plus, it's not just that she didn't reply to the text that is suspicious. Her phone went to voice mail when her mom tried to call as if the phone had been shut off. I admit to being absent minded and sometimes I forget to charge my phone. Maybe her phone was off because it needed charging. That could have happened, but later, her phone had to have been turned back on to text her boyfriend at 9:30. By that time, she could have had texts AND voice mail from her mom. Why didn't she text her mom a quick text back then?

Good points there. Why was the phone first off, then on, and off again? It could be, that after leaving the gathering, JR and KY got in the car and JR put her phone to the car charger (everyone has one, right?) turned the phone on (battery was dead) and sent a quick text to her boyfriend, like "I'm leaving now, KY is wasted, I'll take him home" or something. KY asks "Who are you texting?" JR says "My boyfriend". Maybe to piss KY off or just to convince KY that he's out of line. Well, that just may have been the turning point: KY got angry, and took JR's phone and smashed it.

Or maybe JR just did not want to text or call mom while driving with KY. She was heading home anyway so it could be she did not want to text mom at all before going home, I skip unneccessary texting all the time when I'm heading home and already close by. Especially if I'm driving.

Just a thought, with KY's active texting with Jennifer, he may have been texting someone else who did come to his rescue. Keep in mind, the texting with Jennifer occurred in "the in between" meaning the hours, almost two days, he had after he left the party/get together and before Jessica's car was found burning. I think this case is so solvable. I also have this twitch in the back of my mind, blunders will be made, like with Kara's case, that will keep what seems an obviously solvable case from reaching closure due to bureaucracy and egos.

Texting leaves traces and with those traces, KY's movements can be easily tracked if he kept on texting during his "activities". Question is: do the authorities in U.S. have legal permission to access mobile network logs to investigate? As KY is not actually a murder suspect but just a POI in a missing person case. I know in most European countries it would probably not be allowed without evidence pointing towards homicide.

There's no doubt in my mind that they're buying time with the knowingly burning charge. Also, he has a really high bond for a class D felony. I work in a law firm & usually class D felonies are ROR bond status meaning it's a signature bond. Your signature is good enough to get you out of jail. We can all guess why his bond is what it is. Someone had said they couldn't find his drug conviction, that's because it was a federal charge. Federal charges are on a whole different website that I don't even have access to. The good news is there isn't a statute of limitations on murder, meaning they can bring that charge at anytime, whether it's real soon or 10 years down the road or longer. Idk how realistic this is, but that means that if they found KK or something that exclusively ties him to her disappearance, they could bring a murder charge for her as well. Although LE not allowing any info to the public or media is frustrating for us who wanna know so bad, I have to believe their intentions are to get KY once & for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member