GUILTY MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 in 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 in 2016; found deceased - *ARREST* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Day 3
1JFkLkYR

16th Witness Billy Jones, a retired Belton detective
Kara's Cell Phone Records

@sheraehoneycutt
Billy Jones, a retired Belton detective, tells the defense location data is not available for Yust. This is because back in 2007, Jones said when T-Mobile's towers got overwhelmed with data they would stop collecting it. Jones said this happen in Yust's case. #YustTrial
“I did everything except going to T-Mobile and jumping on their desks to get the records,” Jones said. T-Mobile told them they satisfied the subpoena and that is all they had.

Fox News live updates: Kylr Yust Trial Live Blog: Witnesses to testify on Day 3

Matt Flener KMBC
@MattFlenerKMBC

14m
Kylr Yust is sitting in court with his attorneys today with a yellow tie and suit jacket.

12m
Jury back in. Turlington now questioning Retired Belton Police Detective Billy Jones about Kara's Cingular cell phone records.

12m
1:00 p.m. cell tower hit. Turlington did not point out the date on these records.

11m
Turlington and Jones now talking about tracking devices placed on Yust's pickup. Jones also said he never recalled asking to look at Yust's phone.

10m
Defense cross/ex stops.

7m
Prosecution back up. Jones testifies Kara left Belton HS 9:15. Kara's last phone call at 10:25 in the morning.

7m
Prosecutor: We can all agree that it would've been good if the Belton PD, had gone to Carondolet Manor. Jones: Someone should've assigned those out for investigative leads, yes.

7m
Prosecutor: "On the morning of 5-4-21 who was he communicating with?" Jones: "Kara Kopetsky. Friends of Kara's."

17th Witness Nick Yeates, bandmate of Yust
Matt Flener KMBC

@MattFlenerKMBC

EyYiPawWUAABbR-

5m
Nick Yeates, former friend and band mate of Kylr Yust, now testifying.

5m
Yeates played guitar in the Seraphim death metal band with Kylr Yust.

4m
Yeates testifies he had a friendly relationship with Yust, based on music.

3m
Yeates testifies about Kara and Kylr's relationship: "Initially it was pretty ordinary, I feel it became a toxic relationship so to speak."

1m
Nick Yeates was also Kylr Yust's roomate in Belton. Here is Yeates on witness stand.

1m
Yeates testifies he knew Kara went missing after a text message from his friend Afton Sanchez.

23s
Yeates testifies about a conversation he had with Kylr about Kara's disappearance. Said he doesn't have good memory of it. Now, talking about band practice that night of 5-4-2007.

41s
Yeates lived with Yust for about a month after Kara's disappearance. April 26, 2010. Law enforcement and FBI talk to Yeates.

4m
During conversation with FBI and law enforcement. "When we had been drinking at a party, we went up to Burger King. He confessed to me that he killed Kara." Yeates said the conversation happened 6-8 months prior with Yust.

4m
Yeates said he killed Kara because...."She didn't love him. He didn't want anyone else to have her." Prosecutor: Did Yust say "He just snapped, and something bad happened to Kara." Yeates: Yes.

5m
Yeates eventually wore an FBI wire but Yust did not go as far to confess.

4m
Cross/ex by Sharon Turlington. Yeates testified in deposition, he thought Yust's statement was a dream at first.

3m
Turlington again talking to Yeates about his deposition.

1m
On cross/ex, Yeates now questioning whether it was a Waffle House or Burger King. Turlington: "The statement Kylr made was really vague." Yeates: "Yes." Turlington: "The only thing you got out of it was that he killed Kara." Yeates: "Yes."

1m
Turlington: "He didn't say anything about where he did it?" Yeates: "I still don't believe he did."

25s
Turlington really trying to pick apart Yeates statements about Kylr Yust's confession. From dream, to clearer to clearer, etc. Turlington: "It's still not really clear to you what he said." Yeates: "Not entirely, no."

11s
Yeates admits Kylr told him he didn't kill Kara when he wore the FBI wire. Talks about how Kylr talked about how the case was ruining his life because he was considered a suspect.

56s
Yeates said there is no evidence of any damage at their house on the morning of 5-4-2007.

17s
Turlington now questioning about death metal band and what is involved in this type of band.

4m
Turlington now questions about how long the band Seraphim was together. "We were together up until the day that he had raped my ex-girlfriend," Yeates testifies. "Could we approach the bench please," Turlington asks.

3m
Judge strikes the testimony about the rape from the case.

((Referring to: ))
@sheraehoneycutt
40m

Nick Yeates, Yust's former friend, made a comment that their band, the Seraphim, planned to continue making music. Yeates says, yes that they had planned to work together until “I found out he raped my ex-girlfriend.” The comment about rape is stricken from the record.​

1m
Turlington now done with questions.

56s
Prosecutor: Mr. Yeates, you've always been truthful about now knowing exactly what the defendant said, right? Yeates: Yes.

2m
Prosecutor Julie Tolle on redirect: "What did the defendant tell you that he did? "He told me that he killed her. He did not to my knowledge tell me anything specific."

2m
Yeates takeaway from the conversation with Yust: "Because of the problems he had between him and her, and that she wouldn't love him, that he had killed her," Yeates said.

Last edited:
17th Witness Nick Yeates, bandmate of Yust

5m
Nick Yeates, former friend and band mate of Kylr Yust, now testifying.

5m
Yeates played guitar in the Seraphim death metal band with Kylr Yust.

4m
Yeates testifies he had a friendly relationship with Yust, based on music.

3m
Yeates testifies about Kara and Kylr's relationship: "Initially it was pretty ordinary, I feel it became a toxic relationship so to speak."

1m
Nick Yeates was also Kylr Yust's roomate in Belton. Here is Yeates on witness stand.

1m
Yeates testifies he knew Kara went missing after a text message from his friend Afton Sanchez.

23s
Yeates testifies about a conversation he had with Kylr about Kara's disappearance. Said he doesn't have good memory of it. Now, talking about band practice that night of 5-4-2007.

41s
Yeates lived with Yust for about a month after Kara's disappearance. April 26, 2010. Law enforcement and FBI talk to Yeates.

4m
During conversation with FBI and law enforcement. "When we had been drinking at a party, we went up to Burger King. He confessed to me that he killed Kara." Yeates said the conversation happened 6-8 months prior with Yust.

4m
Yeates said he killed Kara because...."She didn't love him. He didn't want anyone else to have her." Prosecutor: Did Yust say "He just snapped, and something bad happened to Kara." Yeates: Yes.

5m
Yeates eventually wore an FBI wire but Yust did not go as far to confess.

4m
Cross/ex by Sharon Turlington. Yeates testified in deposition, he thought Yust's statement was a dream at first.

3m
Turlington again talking to Yeates about his deposition.

1m
On cross/ex, Yeates now questioning whether it was a Waffle House or Burger King. Turlington: "The statement Kylr made was really vague." Yeates: "Yes." Turlington: "The only thing you got out of it was that he killed Kara." Yeates: "Yes."

1m
Turlington: "He didn't say anything about where he did it?" Yeates: "I still don't believe he did."

25s
Turlington really trying to pick apart Yeates statements about Kylr Yust's confession. From dream, to clearer to clearer, etc. Turlington: "It's still not really clear to you what he said." Yeates: "Not entirely, no."

11s
Yeates admits Kylr told him he didn't kill Kara when he wore the FBI wire. Talks about how Kylr talked about how the case was ruining his life because he was considered a suspect.

56s
Yeates said there is no evidence of any damage at their house on the morning of 5-4-2007.

17s
Turlington now questioning about death metal band and what is involved in this type of band.

4m
Turlington now questions about how long the band Seraphim was together. "We were together up until the day that he had raped my ex-girlfriend," Yeates testifies. "Could we approach the bench please," Turlington asks.

3m
Judge strikes the testimony about the rape from the case. ((wait, what?))

1m
Turlington now done with questions.

56s
Prosecutor: Mr. Yeates, you've always been truthful about now knowing exactly what the defendant said, right? Yeates: Yes.

2m
Prosecutor Julie Tolle on redirect: "What did the defendant tell you that he did? "He told me that he killed her. He did not to my knowledge tell me anything specific."

2m
Yeates takeaway from the conversation with Yust: "Because of the problems he had between him and her, and that she wouldn't love him, that he had killed her," Yeates said.

((IMO this witness is a disaster. Why didn't the Pros warn him against saying it felt like a dream? Why would you cast doubt on your own testimony like that?? Because your buddy is sitting there glaring you down?))
I'm thinking he had said it felt like a dream back in 2011 when he talked to investigators?
It's likely he wasn't in full belief as they were friends (hard to come to terms with that scenario emotionally) and also had been drinking.
The rape feels like a bombshell, why wasn't this discussed beforehand so that they wouldn't have to redact it? feels pretty important to the overarching fact that Yust is a full on predator of women. moo

thanks you guys for keeping us updated, super appreciated!

18th Witness Candice Matthews, Yust gf (now Candice St.Clair)
Matt Flener KMBC

@MattFlenerKMBC

EyYlGcdXEAE6MrD

2m
St. Clair testifies her relationship with Yust was violent.

35s
St. Clair testifies that "Mr. Yust found me in my home packing my bags to leave." He then got on top of me, "To put my hands around my neck, hand over hand to crush my trachea." "He told me that I was not allowed to leave," St. Clair said.

43s
"I have killed ex-girlfriends before out of sheer jealousy," St. Clair said Yust told her. "I will kill you before you can let another scream out of your throat."

49s
"The defendant repeatedly choked me," St. Clair said. "As soon as I would lose consciousness, he would punch me on my legs to wake me up."

56s
Said she did not report assault to police right away. Saying she was scared. Says she eventually posted on Facebook about the assault, and then got interviewed by police. St. Clair said she miscarried Yust's baby during the police interview.

1m
St. Clair is speaking directly, and powerfully, into the microphone. Definitely the strongest testimony we've heard so far in this trial.

7s
Prosecutor: Did the defendant ever mention to you dragging bodies? St. Clair: Yes. "He told me that something bad had happened to Kara," St. Clair said, but could not remember exact details. "...That she was heavy," she said.

1m
"Now, Ms. Matthews," Yust's defense attorney Turlington says, as she starts cross ex of St. Clair. Matthews is her former name.

1m
Turlington now questioning about Yust drawing a pentagram on St. Clair's head, and speaking in tongues. He pulled out some of her hair and burned it. *

2m
Turlington now questioning more about assault and why she did not go to police originally.

1m
Turlington now questioning why St. Clair talked about the assault to the "Find Kara" Facebook group before police.

1m
She says the first person she talked to was KCPD Officer Joshua Meierer after he saw her post on Facebook.

Allen Edmonds
@NorthCassHerald
14m
(Candice) Says she and Yust would drive in the country smoking weed, particularly near the area of 233rd and State Route Y (where Kopetsky and Runions' bodies were found).
14m
St. Clair said Yust would collect "Find Kara" signs and "put them in her parents' yard." *

2m
Turlington now questioning why St. Clair continued to see Kylr Yust after the assault. **

8m @NorthCassHerald​
Under cross-examination, St. Clair testifies that got back together with Yust following the alleged attack and remained with him off and on until 2013.

2m
She says the police came to Kylr's but St. Clair did not say anything to them about the assault. Then, a week later she posted something to the Find Kara Kopetsky Facebook group.

19s
Police took St. Clair to get an exparte order, but she dropped it. "War is the vilest in life, and therefore people should be wise and not play at war," she wrote on the doc. St. Clair said she and Kylr were together on and off until 2013.

Incident Report filed by Josh https://www.scribd.com/document/328156348/Kylr-Yust-2011-Incident-Report
Original report: https://www.kshb.com/news/local-new...mpany-of-attack-victim-from-restraining-order

3-ab32fb6e55.jpg
4-3614cdc042.jpg

5-f41548aa14.jpg
6-6876fa7f2f.jpg

51s
Turlington: "You didn't even know until today that Kara and Jessica were found in the woods, did you? St. Clair: "No ma'am." Appearing to refer to St. Clair's earlier testimony about Kylr's confession to St. Clair that he dragged Kara through the woods.

-- Break for lunch --

*((it is unclear if the quote means Candice's parents yard or Kara's parent's yard, sus either way))
**((This woman's victim blaming tactics throughout this trial are maddening - how out of touch is she with domestic violence?!))

Last edited:
19th Witness Katelynn Farris, Yust ex-gf Pt 1

Materials related to Katelynn:

FBI's 'recorded confession' by Kylr Yust debated before upcoming trial

Alleged confession to be heard by jurors

EyZBEfNWgAYbNco

Matt Flener KMBC

@MattFlenerKMBC

15m
Court now back in session at 1:12 p.m.

14m
On the stand now: Katelynn Farris, one of Yust's ex-girlfriends -- who wore the FBI wire.

13m
Farris: It was a pretty easy going relationship. Normal high school relationship that lasted about a year. Didn't know Kara Kopetsky.

8m
Farris talks about Yust confessing to her about killing Kara Kopetsky. "He had put her in the car, and she was never seen again," she said. "He said he kind of like bantered with her (Katelynn) back and forth, she didn't get in the car."

11m
Farris talking about Yust's confession: Grabbed her(Kara) by the hair and put her in the car, and she was never seen. Farris talking about Yust's confession: He took Kara back to his apartment.

11m
Yust made the statement to Farris at her parents house in Harrisonville, she said. Prosecutor: the topic of Kara's disappearance came up out of nowhere? "It was like hey, I was dating that girl." Farris then told one of her friends.

Allen Edmonds
@NorthCassHerald

21m
Topic had come up in the basement of Farris' parents' home in Harrisonville as "hey, did you hear about that girl that disappeared." She said it "weirded me out" and she told a friend, who then told law enforcement.​

11m
Farris stayed in a relationship with Yust for another six months. Farris said she checked it up to him being "out of it" that day. Farris testified Yust looked like he was on some substance when he made the confession.

9m
Farris now talking about an FBI agent who contacted her. Said she moved to North Carolina, got married, and the FBI approached her again about her willingness to help in the investigation and wear a wire.

7m
Farris now talking about how Yust tattooed her with a demon with wings. Farris said Yust described his neck tattoo. A raven with wings spread across his neck like fingers. Like fingers on the neck. A representation of death, Farris said.

5m
Farris talking about the FBI wire again and what the FBI agent told her. "He basically told me that I would wear a wire and that I would drive a vehicle, and that both would be monitored for my safety," Farris said.

4m
Farris said she came back and told Yust she was helping her parents with a dog show. She made contact with Yust while wearing a wire. "We were together for quite a while. We bounced around town for a while."

2m
Farris said she told Yust she wanted to make a Ouija board. Went to bookstore to get supplies. Went out to eat/coffee. Bounced around town.

2m
Farris steps down from witness stand to sit in the front row. Now -- they are going to play the FBI wire. FBI wiretap is now playing. This could get long...

3m
Farris noticed he wasn't in a good mood after he gets in car with her. Yust says on FBI wire he's not in a good mood... to get in the car with her " we're going to visit 'the death spot of my ex-girlfriend'."

1m @NorthCassHerald
"You're the only girl that knows about the Kara thing," Yust rages on the recording as he berates her in a profanity laced rant for leaving him for North Carolina. "I will never be loved! I said that because I spend every f-ing holiday alone."​

3m
"I really regret it," Yust said on wire. "I really didn't want to tell anybody my entire life."

2m
FBI recording: Yust says "I'm going to be alone for the rest of my f'ing life." "No one wants to f'ing be with me." "The actually only girl that knows about the Kara thing, doesn't want anything to do with me." Yust talking about Farris leaving him for N. Carolina.

2m
"I will never be loved. Never ever in my life will I be loved," Yust says on FBI recording. "Every time I find someone I want to share my life with, I am not good enough for that person."

26s
GRAPHIC WARNING ON TWEETS. Farris on FBI wire: "You obsess over the littlest things."
"I don't even want to call it making love. That's not why I *advertiser censored**d you," he says to Farris.

12s
Yust is saying all of this on the FBI recording as he's giving directions to Farris on where to turn and drive.

31s
Crying in the audience of media overflow room among Kara Kopetsky's friends as they listen to the recording.

11m @NorthCassHerald
Farris and Yust leave the SUV and go into a restaurant for breakfast, where the quality of the recording degrades and the words are not as easy to hear. Conversation remains centered on Yust's professed feelings of uselessness.​

10m
Now -- FBI wiretap recording sounds like Yust and Farris are at a restaurant. Yust ordering a meal. Then he starts to argue with Farris.

8m
Hard to hear some of this conversation in the restaurant. Farris testified before the recording started playing she had a wire in a key fob and under her shirt.

5m
Sounds like a faint heartbeat in some of this FBI recording. Wonder if it is Farris's heartbeat the recording picked up? Hard to hear, but just an observation.

2m
Man -- I wish we could hear more of this inside the restaurant, it's just hard to understand the recording. But Yust and Farris are going back/forth in some sort of strong conversation or argument.

44s
Waitress comes up and asks if they want sauces. I believe I heard Yust ask for Gunslinger hot sauce.

1m
More inaudible on the FBI recording. Still waiting for clearer audio.

1m
"It's not you. It's everyone in general," Farris tells Yust. Hard to tell what the context is here, but it sounds like she is talking about leaving for North Carolina.

51s
Kylr Yust and his defense team listening to the FBI wiretap audio on a wire worn by his former girlfriend Katelynn Farris.
EyZKBMHWEAQcM5c
EyZKaDOWgAMQX9q

2m
ON FBI WIRE: "I'm sorry I have issues and I don't want to have sex with anyone," Katelynn Farris said. "I don't want to be with anyone," she said.

3m
They are still talking about North Carolina and why she moved to NC. "I can't be here," Farris said. "I can't be here."

Katelynn Farris Continued...
((I do not know if we will get access to the recording or video by the press at any point but I'll try to get ahold of them eventually and share with you ))

@SarahPlakeTV
1h
Farris is telling Yust he's not an evil person. Yust said the only girl who actually knows about the "Kara thing" won't talk to him again .. He's talking very fast.. saying that he has to be reminded of raping someone.. Calling himself a "pervert f-ing douchebag."

1h
Calls himself a "killer." Breaks down and cries, saying he's not good enough for anyone, he's always alone. That this happened because he "killed someone."

1h
Yust heard on audio telling Farris she'll never hear from him again because he's going to kill himself. Yust has said over and over that no one will ever love him, every girl he's loved has left him. He doesn't sound like he's in a good frame of mind.

1h
We're just hearing more of their conversation.. Talking about some intimate details. Farris had moved to NC with her new husband, Yust sounds like he was upset about it, telling her he's still hung up on her.
54m
Farris and Yust had broken up but remained friends. She got married, moved away but sounds like @ this point she'd just gotten divorced. She & Yust are at a restaurant right now so background noise makes it hard to hear. Bickering about their relationship - still.​

Matt Flener KMBC
@MattFlenerKMBC
3m
For context -- Yust's defense team made a motion on February 23, 2021 to suppress this FBI recording from the trial. They argued in motion Farris used the promise of sex to Kylr Yust's confession. Judge over ruled the defense motion to allow the jury to hear.

2m
The restaurant part of the FBI recording stops after they leave. Now -- we see video inside the car. You can just see their elbows. OK. Here we go...

8m
Yust leans over in car seat -- you can see he has long hair. He is just leaning over as they drive. Interesting...

8m
Farris on FBI recording: "Do you think you have some problems with being alone because of Kara's (inaudible)? Yust answers. "I don't want to be alone the rest of my f'ing life."

@SarahPlakeTV
1h
ON AUDIO. Farris says "at least you feel better about getting this off your chest." Yust said he regrets telling Farris about it.

1h
On the audio Farris tries to convince Yust she'll never tell. Yust says he can trust her about as far as he can throw her.

36m
Yust is again telling Farris she left him, he still wants to be with her. "I'm done talking to you," he said​

8m
"All I have is a f'ing face," Yust said on recording. "All I have is a face to look at."

7m
CONTEXT: This FBI wiretap recording in the #YustTrial happened on February 11, 2011.

5m
"Shut up blinker," Farris said. Then... "You left me," Yust said to Farris. "We had so much, right? And you left me." "And you promsied me and I waited," Yust said. "And I'm still mad. I want to be with you."

9m
Now -- back to an audio recording done by the FBI.

44s @NorthCassHerald
In the car, Katelynn asks Kylr, "do you think you're having problems being alone because of Kara?" Kylr: "I don't want to be alone the rest of my f-ing life." He then goes on about how she "promised him," and he left her. "We had so much!"​

3m
Farris is coughing a lot in the recording. Sounds like they are at a Walgreens.

@NorthCassHerald
1m
Now they pull into a Walgreen's and go inside.

4m
Farris is coughing a lot in the recording. Sounds like they are at a Walgreens.

56s
OK, back to video. Farris is still coughing. Yust is patting her on her back saying do you need any whiskey?

29s
Farris said she wants to go to book store to look up stuff about a Ouija board.

1m
Yust leans over to give Farris a kiss. "Mmmmm. Sweetest kisses ever," he said.

@SarahPlakeTV
Looks like he's trying to get closer to her, trying to kiss her again. Remember that she is doing a wire tap for the FBI for their investigation... Could you put yourself in her shoes?​

1m
"Take it, take it. It's orange." he said as they speed through a stoplight. Conversation has turned jovial lighthearted.

@NorthCassHerald
3m
Discussion of trying to contact Kara on Katelynn's Ouija board..."I feel like, the more you put on there that she likes," Katelynn says.

EyZQwYwXMAMUBYE

@SarahPlakeTV
16m

Farris says she wishes she knew more about what Kara liked to put on the ouija board. "She liked Coheed and Cambria.." Yust says, and mentions a few other bands. "She liked smoking pot..."
19m
Farris brings up the ouija board again, asks Yust what they should put on it. Mentions cigarettes and chocolate. "Dear Kara... .. I'm really sorry.. Love Kylr," Yust is heard saying.

16m
"She seemed like a cool girl," Farris says. "Except for the whole cheating thing, that's not cool." I can't understand what Yust is replying to her.

15m
Yust said Kara was mature. "She just.. she flew by the seat of her pants you know? Always down to have a good time, always spoke her mind," Yust said. "She was just awesome."​

Last edited:
Sara Plake is now also in the courtroom tweeting. She has been covering the case for years. Here are some of her tweets from earlier with details Matt didn't cover (I have added her tweets on Katelynn above):

@SarahPlakeTV on Candace Matthews
3h
Started dating Yust in 2010 when she was 17. They dated off and on for at least a year. She lived w/ him at one point bc of issues at home. Describes her relationship w/ him as an 'emotional rollercoaster.' 'Violent, unhealthy, dishonest, not something I'd want to repeat.'
This is Candace telling her story. She said after Yust strangled her repeatedly, she woke up to him the next day to him spooning her and telling her if she was good it wouldn't happen again. She told her friend about it, posted on Facebook, that's when police contacted her.
Candace said Yust said something bad had happened to Kara, that he was dragging her through the woods. She had been suspicious about certain locations. Candace said she briefly met Jessica Runions.
Defense now questioning Candace. Candace said during this attack Yust drew a pentagram on her forehead, speaking in tongues. Candace felt like he was doing some satanic ritual on her, she had to pretend she was possessed by demons, play along, to stop this attack.
Candace went to a crisis pregnancy center four days after the attack but didn't tell anyone about it. She didn't tell them about her injuries. She didn't post anything, tell police until August. She posted about the attack on the Find Kara Kopetsky page.
A few days after this attack, she went back to Yust's apartment for a weekend, that Monday had her parents help move her stuff out. Went back to parents house but then saw Yust again, which made her mom mad.
So she goes back at Yust's apt, fighting about the baby. She found out she was pregnant. They were arguing, she says she tried to call 911 & then called her mom again. Mom calls 911. Police show up but she doesn't mention the assault.

What a nightmare he's put so many people through... and yet here he goes again with this trial, cuz he just can't plead guilty even with mountains of evidence... he can't do a single damn thing right. just horrific

Katelynn Farris pt 3 FBI wire tap and video
(Matt is out of the courtroom for a bit, first part here is Sarah)

Kylr Yust trial: Kara Kopetsky discussed in wiretapped talk with ex

region-free link: Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Sarah Plake
@SarahPlakeTV

13m
Back now. Seeing more car hidden camera footage of Farris and Yust driving.

They go from talking about turtles to Yust changing subject, saying he loves to have sex with her, he loves her. Farris says she doesn't want to talk about it, she feels weird about sex. "Me and you together as close as we could ever be," he says. Farris is hesitating.

12m
He asks if she's really going to give him another chance, says he'll do anything for her. She says maybe. Then she changes subject. Yust is still giving her directions.

11m
Moving to an audio recording, it sounds like maybe they got to their destination, getting out of the car.

2m
Just hearing a lot of rustling around. I'm not sure what they're doing, walking? Farris had said previously that they got all their ouija board supplies to take out into the woods to contact Kara's spirit.

28s
It sounds like they're making the ouija board? I think I hear sounds of markers drawing on paper or something similar. It's just been 10 mins of rustling around

((It would have been helpful if Katelynn was able to testify to what was going on))

27m

Farris asking if Yust and Kara had any inside jokes they could put on the ouija. Yust said maybe 'chupa,' like short for 'chupacabra' because Kara had big lips. Farris and Yust continue to chat casually.

6m

Farris says, "I wonder what she's going to say.." Yust responds by asking if Farris will give him another chance. Saying they could move anywhere like Sacramento, Oregon, not NC. Farris says her mom hates him, Yust says he doesn't care.

Matt Flener KMBC
@MattFlenerKMBC

·
14m
Now they are back in the car on video. Hard to tell if they were in the woods as I referenced in my previous tweet. I will pick up that context when I can understand more.

12m
Back driving in the car, Farris and Yust are talking about working out, what they eat. Now he's showing her something either on his stomach or somewhere else?? Hard to tell from video.

10m
"That's why your tattoos look so bad because you pick at them and have holes in them," Farris said to Yust on FBI video recording. He leans over to kiss her again.

10m
Yust seems like he's tried to make several advances on Farris during this whole recording as they're driving around.

9m
"I'm just really curious what she's going to say," Farris said, presumably talking about trying to reach Kara's spirit on a Ouija board. So, they have not gotten to the woods yet. "Are you really going to give me a chance after all this?" Yust said.

6m
Talking about Kylr Yust's grandpa. Farris: "He's the one that gave you the bonds, right?" Yust: "Yeah."

@SarahPlakeTV
4m

Still in the car. Yust talking about all the things he's gonna do with his grandpa's inheritance, sounds like he can't wait for his grandpa to die. Get the band started up again, talking about making different music.

2m
Yust says he can't believe "we're here." Says it's the one place he swore he'd never go back to. Farris says again she's curious about what she'll say, Yust says he's not. "Do you understand this is the biggest up in my entire life?

@MattFlenerKMBC
3m
"I thought I was going to prison for the rest of my life," Yust said. "Only way if I will ever kill someone if it's in the military."

3m
YUST TO FARRIS ON FBI RECORDING: "No one knows this, not even my own father, not my brother, anyone. You are the only person."

3m
ON FBI RECORDING: They are talking about going to talk to Kara via Ouija board. Farris: I'm really curious what she's going to say. You are too... YUST: No I'm not... YUST: Do you understand that this is like the biggest f'up in my entire life?"​

55s
I'm assuming Farris was again referring to Kara, what Kara would say when they contacted her spirit. Now we're listening to more audio.

4m
"I'm taking you - do you realize what's going on? Just because i love you this much? No one knows this, no one, not even my own father and brother, no one. You are the only person," Yust tells Farris

3m

Yust said he thought he was for sure going to prison for the rest of his life. He says the only way he'll kill someone is if he's in the military. "I told him I'm not going to talk to them anymore," Yust said. He said the detective said they'll make his life hard.

2m
Yust thinks that the police talked to all his exes and that's why they broke up with him over the years. Farris said the Belton PD called her one time but she denied knowing any information.

2m
Mentions someone about Chris Davis.. Yust said Kara allegedly cheated on him with this Davis guy.

2m
Now they're talking about how Farris and Yust fought all the time when they were together. He said if there's anything he'd take back it's that and Kara. #YustTrial

2m
I'm told that the jury was about to hear the audio of the ouija seance.. but the video stopped. The judge just said we're stopping for the night. Start back up at 8:30am tomorrow.

((and that concludes Day 3 in a real cliffhanger))

Last edited:
What a nightmare he's put so many people through... and yet here he goes again with this trial, cuz he just can't plead guilty even with mountains of evidence... he can't do a single damn thing right. just horrific
The jury will right the coward’s wrong. He’s going to spend the rest of his life in prison.

The jury will right the coward’s wrong. He’s going to spend the rest of his life in prison.

Amen. I think it's safe to say that today was not a good day for him and we haven't even gotten into Jessica's portion of the trial yet. They showed a quick snippet from inside the court room on the news here in Kansas tonight. He looked miserable.

Honestly, this is about as good as it gets for him from here on out.

Thursday, April 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 4) (@ 8:30am CT) – MO – Kara Elise Kopetsky (17) (last seen at Belton High, May 4, 2007, Belton; found by mushroom hunters in rural Cass County near East 223rd & State Route Y on April 3, 2017) & Jessica S. Runions (21) (missing Sept. 8, 2016, Raymore; her car was found burned near Bannister & Blue River Rds. on Sept. 10, 2016. Found by mushroom hunters in rural Cass County near East 223rd & State Route Y on April 4, 2017) – *Kylr Charles Yust (18 in 2007/29/now 32) indicted (3/1/18) & arraigned (6/18/18) on 2 counts of 1st degree & 2 counts of abandonment of a corpse. Plead not guilty. $1M cash only bond. Originally charged with felony arson for burning Jessica’s car was dismissed on 10/5/17. Charges of 2 counts of abandonment of a corpse-dismissed on 3/4/21).
Trial began 4/5/21. Jury Selection started on 3/29/21 & ended on 3/31/21. Court will be held on Saturdays also. Held in Cass County & jurors from St. Charles County. Jurors will be sequestered throughout the trial (expected to last 3 weeks). Jury: 12 jurors & 3 alternates (12 women & 3 men). One alternate was released on 4/5/21.
Court info from 3/1/18 thru 3/11/21 & jury selection (3/31/21) & Day 1 & 2 of trial (4/5 – 4/6/21) reference post #158 here:
MO - Kara Kopetsky, 17 in 2007; Jessica Runions, 21 in 2016; found deceased - *ARREST* #2

4/7/21 Wednesday, Day 3 of Trial: State witnesses: 16) Billy Jones, a retired Belton detective. Testified about Kara's Cingular cell phone records. Could not get Yust cell data as T-Mobile's towers were not collecting it. 17) Nick Yeates, band mate of Yust & his roommate. 18) Candice Matthews (now Candice St. Clair), Yust's girlfriend (started dating Yust in 2010, on & off until 2013). 19) Katelynn Farris, Yust ex-girlfriend (wore an FBI wire on 2/11/11). Played FBI wire & video from hidden car camera for jurors. For context -- Yust's defense team made a motion on 2/23/21 to suppress this FBI recording from the trial. They argued in motion Farris used the promise of sex to Yust's confession. Judge over ruled the defense motion to allow the jury to hear. The jury was about to hear the audio of the ouija seance, but the video stopped. The judge just said we're stopping for the night. Start back up at 8:30am tomorrow, 4/8/21.

Amen. I think it's safe to say that today was not a good day for him and we haven't even gotten into Jessica's portion of the trial yet. They showed a quick snippet from inside the court room on the news here in Kansas tonight. He looked miserable.

Honestly, this is about as good as it gets for him from here on out.

I wonder if he is still hung up on Katelynn. I always wondered what stopped him from trying to kill her? I think she had a handle on his ways and was just too strong for him to manipulate easily idk.

Oh I did not know that there was audio & video of his "confession"! That is great.

And again @Vail - thank you for the posts! Much appreciated.

Yeah Katelynn has been an incredible beacon of light where putting Kylr away is concerned - if I recall correctly she had said she couldn't help but think about herself in Kara's shoes. Having video is huge, even if the two aren't in frame most of the time it seemed to me that it really captured Kylr's personality at the time, his instable, manipulative and bitter qualities. I don't know how a juror could listen to that and think he made it all up when put together with all the other evidence.

Further to that, he specifically says his brother doesn't even know. That could have been a lie, but he still said it on tape and I hope they use it against him because unless he wants to get on the stand, that are his words the jury gets to hear.

What is amazing to me is the FBI was on to him for 3 years already in 2011. Then he goes to prison in 2013 and they have a guy inside also get a confession (we will hear from JC at some point I assume). And they STILL wait for him to kill someone else? I just hope this is a reminder to families of missing loved ones where foul play is suspected - LE is not just doing nothing. A lot of the time they are doing a lot, it just isn't easy to prosecute someone for murder when you only get one chance to do it right. It took 3 agencies, 14 years and a cop's career to bring this guy to court.

Last edited:
And the reason we did not hear about the kitten killing (which is really unfortunate, it shows his tendencies for homicide and is an important detail IMO)
Kylr Yust trial: Ex-girlfriend recounts their violent relationship in testimony
Outline - Read & annotate without distractions

Prior to Yust’s trial, his lawyers held a hearing about the claims he killed the three kittens. Ultimately, Judge William Collins said he wouldn’t admit the evidence, and the jury would not hear about his alleged animal abuse.

During the time they were together, St. Clair said they would talk about Kopetsky from time to time. She told the jury Yust expressed annoyance with the search for Kopetsky and did not like to see lawn signs around Belton.

“He told me that at a point in time he collected as many as he could, and he put them in her parent’s yard,” St. Clair said.

Perhaps the most stunning moment of St. Clair’s testimony was an unexpected realization. St. Clair talked about things they would do together. She said sometimes they would drive out in the country near Y Highway.

During her testimony, there was a moment she realizes the area where she and Yust would spend time was near where Kopetsky lay waiting to be found five years later.

(Google maps of quarry (left) graveyard (right) and the tiny copse (top left side of hwy)

Google Maps

Last edited:
HARRISONVILLE, Mo. — Candice St. Clair sat in a Cass County courtroom Wednesday face to face with her ex-boyfriend Kylr Yust nearly a decade later.

St. Clair, then Matthews, was 17 when she met Yust and they began dating. She said she moved in with Yust in 2011. It was after her brother died and her parents caught her smoking weed in the basement. She said they kicked her out.

On Wednesday, during the third day of Yust’s double murder trial, she described her relationship to the jury as an emotional rollercoaster with extreme highs and lows. Violent, unhealthy, and dishonest.

In July 2011, she was living in Yust’s apartment in KCMO off of Locust Street.

She said Yust attacked her when she was packing her bags to leave him. He came back to their apartment drunk and allegedly attacked her. He got on top of her to put his hands on her neck to “crush my trachea.”

“How were his hands positioned around your neck?” prosecutor Julie Tolle asked.

Kylr Yust trial: Ex-girlfriend recounts their violent relationship in testimony

Day 4
Matt Flener and Andres Gutierrez reporting today

Yust Trial Live Blog: Wiretap, testimony continues
https://www.kshb.com/news/crime/yust-trial

Katelynn Farris pt 4 FBI wire tap and video (continued)

@MattFlenerKMBC

1h
YUST TRIAL DAY 4: Jury just now coming back into the courtroom. We're expecting to hear more of the FBI wire recording by Katelynn Farris, one of Kylr Yust's ex-girlfriends. Farris wore a wire on Feb. 11, 2011.

58m
On the FBI recording, it sounds like Farris is spelling out letters on a Ouija board to try and reach the spirit of Kara Kopetsky.

56m
FBI recording: "What about Kylr?" Farris asks. DIG, she spells out on the Ouija board "What's happening, Kara?" Farris asks. RUN. "From what?" Farris asks. HI.

@AFGutierrez
49m
On the FBI recording Yust says he feels something as if she was there and claims he hears Kopetsky's voice #YustTrial

53m
FBI recording: "Kylr, why is he empty?" D -- I don't get what you're saying. "Is there anything you would like to say?" Farris asks. M-A-Y "What about May?" Farris asks. Farris: "Can you ever forgive him? Are you sad?" Again you can hear a heartbeat.

52m
Kylr on FBI recording: "Are you happy where you are?" No sound. "Will I (sic) when I die?" No sound. Then, hard to hear what they are spelling.

48m
Kylr says something about the left side of his face. FARRIS: "Are you touching him right now?" FARRIS: "Can you tell us where you are?" "S-T-A-N-D-I-N-G H-E-R-E," Farris spells. Again, this is when they use a Ouija board to contact Kara.

48m
Kylr: Am I cursed? Hard to hear after this...

@AFGutierrez
43m
Audio clears up Yust can be heard on the recording says 'I *advertiser censored***g killed her'​

45m
More rustling... KYLR: "Oh my God. I just like felt her hand on my shoulder. She didn't say anything, but I heard her voice" KYLR: "It was her voice." KYLR: "I promise I will come back and see you Kara."

38m
Accused killer Kylr Yust on Thursday listens to an FBI audio recording made by his ex-girlfriend Katelynn Farris. Farris wore a hidden wire while taking Yust to a spot in the woods where he allegedly buried Kara Kopetsky to contact her via a Ouija board.

38m
Kylr Yust took his ex-girlfriend Katelynn Farris to a spot in the woods to try to contact the spirit of Kara Kopetsky on Feb. 11, 2011. Ultimately, it was not the same spot a mushroom hunter found the remains of Kara Kopetsky and Jessica Runions.

35m
KYLR: "We should've smoked a joint while we were there."

@AFGutierrez
33m
After they're done with the ouija board, Farris and Yust go through a drive-thru...they're now driving around, Yust is flirting, making small talk with Farris

@AFGutierrez
30m
Here's a look at Kylr Yust this morning as he's listening to this recording. Just now Yust is heard saying "I hope it turns you on that I killed a girl" #YustTrial :eek:
@41ActionNews

@NorthCassHerald
57m
"This really turns you on that I killed a girl, huh?" Yust asks former girlfriend Katelynn Farris during a flirtatious exchange on the FBI wiretap being played in court Thursday morning.​

34m
FBI RECORDING: They are now driving again. KYLR: "I f'ing killed her and left her out...(sic)." FARRIS: "Like she said she's not mad at you. That's all that matters." KYLR: "She's gotta know that she's not alone. I hate myself." FARRIS: "Don't"

32m
Now, they're at a coffee shop. Kylr orders. Hard to hear what he ordered.

34m
KYLR: "We should've smoked a joint while we were there."

34m
FBI RECORDING: YUST: "I hope it amounts to something someday." FARRIS: "Everything amounts to something someday." YUST: "Let's get coffee." FARRIS: "OK." Farris is coughing again. KYLR: "You really need some cough drops."

32m
Now, they're at a coffee shop. Kylr orders. Hard to hear what he ordered.

30m
They're talking about picking scabs off Farris's ears, now. "Let it be, let it be, let it be, let it be..." Yust starts singing a Beatles song, presumably talking to Farris about leaving a scab.

30m
COFFEE CLERK: Four dollars even. YUST: You can just keep the dollar for a tip.

27m
FARRIS: "Where to?" YUST SINGS: "You can do whatever you like." Yust makes a phone call to someone to ask for some spare jewelry. Person on phone is giving him a dentist chair, as a tattoo chair. YUST: "I'll have a professions *advertiser censored** f'ing dentist chair in my apartment."

22m
YUST: “This really turns you on that I killed a girl?” FARRIS: "It doesn’t really turn me on.” YUST: "Why were you saying all that bulls**t one day, just because you were trying to get me to confess?" (I missed what Farris said after this) Then, they move on.

19m
As they are driving around, still... Farris: I’m nasty. Yust: You are sexy. Farris: Inaudible Yust: I just want to get all up on that.

9m
Now, we're just into inaudible rustling. Sounds like they're walking and moving. CONTEXT: FBI agents had eyes on Katelynn Farris during this entire hidden wire recording on Feb. 11, 2011. They followed her and Yust watching out for her safety.

4m
I believe this could be the 25 minute portion of inaudible rustling on the recording prosecutor Julie Tolle mentioned before the jury came in this morning. Not exactly sure, but it's been quite a while where it's hard to hear.

46s
ON FBI RECORDING: Yust: "I was about to call while you were in the bathroom." Farris: "I was about to puke." Yust: "Let's go get some food."

((Shout out to Matt Flener for some of the most detailed and FAST tweeting of a case I've ever seen))

1m
Now, they're listening to a song together. The audio is very tinny so it's hard to hear what song it is.

54s
On the way to go get something to eat -- sounds like they are driving to Taco Bell.

Last edited:
Katelynn Farris pt 5 FBI wire tap and video (continued)

@MattFlenerKMBC
9m
So far -- the jury has heard at least 5 hours of this FBI recording.

@AFGutierrez
6m
After Farris stops at tacobell
to grab something to eat, the two drive to another fast food joint for Yust. There Yust belches repeatedly--showing off to Farris.​

1m
Now, Kylr Yust is belching in the drive-thru line, and laughing.

2m
Inside the courtroom as prosecutors play a FBI hidden wire recording by Kylr Yust's ex-girlfriend, Katelynn Farris. Seated at left table is Yust's defense team. Cass County prosecutors are seated three-across at the table on the right.
Eydcu1OWUAIhO8L

43s
FBI wire recording still going... They're just having conversation while driving, now.

21m
Sounds like Farris just dropped off Yust. YUST: "Bye, be safe, drive safe. I love you." FARRIS: "Hey, can you take that with you." FARRIS: "You have a trash can." YUST: "What are you talking about." YUST: "If you find my cell phone in there, come back."

@AFGutierrez
23m
After driving around and making small talk Yust and Farris part ways. We're nearing the two-hour mark of listening to the FBI recording today.​

21m
Farris on phone after she drops Kylr Yust off. Hard to tell who she's talking to...but presumably FBI. FARRIS: "Did you get all of it?" Recording continues. "Right here?" Rustling. Male voice: "Date's 2-10-2011. 3:53 p.m. This concludes our recording."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewpcg77
Back