GUILTY MO - Nicholas, 35, & Justin Diemel, 24, brothers missing, Clinton County, 21 July 2019 *ARREST* #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Garland “Joey” Nelson, 25, has been charged in Bourbon County, Kansas, with five counts of transporting diseased animals across state lines and endangering the food supply. Court documents providing further details on the allegations were not immediately available.

The charges were filed this month but stem from alleged violations on May 1, more than two months before Nick and Justin Diemel came to Caldwell County to visit Nelson’s farm.

The two brothers haven’t been seen since July 21 and are now presumed dead. Human remains found on a farm owned by Garland Nelson have not been identified.

Nelson is already facing charges in connection to their case. He’s charged with tampering with a vehicle after authorities said he drove a truck the brothers rented from his farm to a commuter parking lot, where it was found abandoned.

He remains jailed in Caldwell County without bail.
Farmer charged in connection with Wisconsin brothers facing new misdemeanor charges

Garland “Joey” Nelson, 25, has been charged in Bourbon County, Kansas, with five counts of transporting diseased animals across state lines and endangering the food supply. Court documents providing further details on the allegations were not immediately available.

The charges were filed this month but stem from alleged violations on May 1, more than two months before Nick and Justin Diemel came to Caldwell County to visit Nelson’s farm.

The two brothers haven’t been seen since July 21 and are now presumed dead. Human remains found on a farm owned by Garland Nelson have not been identified.

Nelson is already facing charges in connection to their case. He’s charged with tampering with a vehicle after authorities said he drove a truck the brothers rented from his farm to a commuter parking lot, where it was found abandoned.

He remains jailed in Caldwell County without bail.
Farmer charged in connection with Wisconsin brothers facing new misdemeanor charges
Bam! You beat me to it! Lol!
Garland Nelson faces new charge in Bourbon County Kansas

....charged in Bourbon County, Kansas, with five counts of transporting diseased animals across state lines and endangering the food supply. Court documents providing further details on the allegations were not immediately available.
The charges were filed this month but stem from alleged violations on May 1....
@imstilla.grandma :) Thanks for your post. ^ snipped for focus. bbm

Five counts. Good. Is that one count each for 5 calves? (out of the 30 or 35?)? Or ---?
Violations on May 1?
So was that the date calves were transported from MO to KS?
Then Foster contacted USDA for inspection, which was done May 30?
And USDA report/letter was dated May 31?

I thought report/letter said calves "were dumped" on Fosters's farm a week (or two weeks?) before inspection. Not a huge discrepancy in timeline, or is it? Thx in adv.

Garland “Joey” Nelson started his farming operation raising cattle in 2013 when he was just 19 years old, Iowa Public Television first reported.

He had a government loan to buy and raise cattle, but he quickly became overwhelmed with a massive inventory shipped to him from Cyclone Cattle Company.

“Everything works until you run out of grass, or feed, or money,” Nelson told IPTV. “We ran out of grass first. So, you know, you went to feeding more and then the feed bills get bigger than the bill they want to pay….Then you run out of money.”

Nelson’s debt grew to nearly $300,000. To off-put the unexpected cost of his operation, he sold some of his own cattle without notifying the Farm Service Agency, a requirement when livestock is tied to federal farm loans. He also didn’t ask the farms buying his cattle to list the agency on the checks.

Court documents also suggest that Nelson deliberately hid the sales by having checks written out using a different version of his name than is on his FSA loans.

He said he knew he was violating the rules, but he did it anyway. He said he hoped to avoid months of delay that might follow a request to the federal government.
Farmer charged in connection with Wisconsin brothers death investigation already spent time in prison

I taken a little time to attempt to put together a timeline. I know many of have so many questions. I have only listed what has been reported by LE and Media outlets. Hopefully between today's date and the 16 Sept Preliminary hearing we learn more facts from LE. If anyone would like to clarify or add to this please do.

Timeline
20-Jul
ND and JD departed WI and Arrived KC
Rented F-250 Black Club Cab Truck(By some reports in regards to color of vehicle)
Was said to of met with farmers in Clinton/Caldwell county mo. (No names Provided as of this moment)
Spent night in Quality Inn, in Cameron MO. (Unsure of time of check-in)
21-Jul
8:55 ND had conversation with LD.
9:30 ND and JD arrive JN/TSF farm approx 0930. (Knowing the area this seems reasonable a little quick though)
11:00 ND talked to employee (No sign of distress or anything was wrong)
11:45 JN departed TSF farm with ND and JD Rental Vehicle caught on security cameras Polo, MO (route most likely took was Mo116 to Mo 13 to Mo 116 at Polo and then south on I-35 to Holt, Mo exit
12:45 Arrived at Holt MO commuter lot, noted by GPS tracking device on rental I-35 and PP Junction
13:50 Scheduled ND,JD departure from KC International Airport
15:00 Someone has noted that an investigation was started at this time into the location of ND/JD.
15:00-23:59 Presumably based from reports by LE and TSF, Police were at TSF farm when TSF returned from trip to Branson with family. They were speaking to JN about what information he knew at this time.
22-Jul
Caldwell County Sheriff's office notified Clinton County Sheriff's office concerning ND/JD rental vehicle
in parking lot I-35 and PP Holt Mo.
15:00 Clinton County Sheriff office supposedly opened an investigation at this time.
26-Jul
JN Warrant issued and delivered arrest is made.
Life After Leavenworth: A Cattle Producer Shares His Story IPTV story (Pertains to Character of JN.)
29-Jul
Bond denied for Braymer man charged with stealing missing brothers' truck
31-Jul
Human remains found on Missouri farm where brothers were last seen, police say,
1-Aug
JN makes court appearance on “felony tampering with a motor vehicle” charge (Mother of man charged in missing brothers case speaks out)
6-Aug
KCTV 5 Foster Video New details on the man charged in the missing brothers case (Pertains to Character of JN.)
8-Aug
JN the man charged in Diemel brothers case makes court appearance
10-Aug
Wisconsin judge declares Diemel brothers “Legally Dead”
14-Aug
(Gingrich Video)Landowner says suspect in death investigation starved more than 150 cattle to death (Pertains to Character of JN.)
15-Aug
JN the man charged in Diemel brothers case appears in court
16-Sep
Preliminary Hearing Scheduled 1000 am Caldwell County Couthouse

Thank you!!

Thank you for the additional information on Stephen P Sokoloff. I'm glad he has joined the prosecution team!

I am not a legal guru, and I wondered about the casnet docket entry on Thursday, August 15 , the date of JN's last court appearance.
Subpoena Prepared
Request Filed
Subpoena Request; Electronic Filing Certificate of Service.
Filed By: BRADY C KOPEK

Is that just the normal legal process related to JN's current charge, such as a witness' testimony ? Or could it indicate the prosecution is broadening it's scope of possible accomplice?
Please forgive me if I am reading too much into that, but like everyone following this case, I am anxious to learn how JN was able to destroy so much in such a brief period of time. :(

The Braymer man charged with felony tampering with a motor vehicle, first degree, in connection with the disappearance of two Wisconsin brothers now faces charges in Kansas.

Multiple news sources report Garland “Joey” Nelson has been charged in Bourbon County, Kansas with endangering the food supply and is scheduled to appear in court there September 4th.

Nelson allegedly transported 35 calves from his family farm in Missouri to a farm in Fort Scott, Kansas in May without health papers. Kansas farmer David Foster has been reported as saying the 35 calves brought to his farm were sick. Nelson and Foster bought 131 calves together, but 96 died.

Nelson is accused of driving Nicholas and Justin Diemel’s rental truck to a commuter lot near Holt after the brothers drove the truck to Nelson’s farm at Braymer July 21st on business to discuss cattle. He is being held in Caldwell County without bond and is next scheduled to appear in court on the tampering with a motor vehicle charge September 16that 9 am.

Clinton County Sheriff Larry Fish previously reported human remains were found at the Nelson farm July 30th, and they still have not yet been identified.

Earlier this month, a Wisconsin judge declared the Diemels legally dead.
Man charged in Diemel brothers case now faces charges in Kansas – KTTN-FM 92.3 and KGOZ -FM 101.7

The man jailed in connection with the disappearance of two Wisconsin brothers in northwest Missouri faces separate charges in Kansas.

Garland Nelson is scheduled to appear in court Sept. 4 on charges of endangering the food supply after he allegedly transported 35 calves from his mother’s farm in Missouri to a dairy farm in Fort Scott, Kansas, without health papers.

Nelson is currently being held without bond in Caldwell County, Missouri.

He is charged with tampering with a motor vehicle after he admitted in court documents to abandoning Justin and Nick Diemel’s rental truck in a commuter lot in Holt, according to prosecutors.

"Nelson and Foster bought 131 calves together, but 96 died." This should be allegedly died (Foster's assumption but no one really knows).

The rotting flesh and bones of the dead animals were left behind on the Amish farmer's property which JN had rented. I think it's factual info that they died while in JN's care. JMO.

ETA: Here's a short video clip that shows the remains (WARNING GRAPHIC): KCTV5 News on Twitter

Last edited:
The rotting flesh and bones of the dead animals were left behind on the Amish farmer's property which JN had rented. I think it's factual info that they died while in JN's care. JMO.

ETA: Here's a short video clip that shows the remains (WARNING GRAPHIC): KCTV5 News on Twitter
Yes, but we don't know for sure that those were Foster's calves. He had a separate deal with the Diemels. JN could have had another herd on his family land or elsewhere.

ETA: The illegal transport of 35 calves was reportedly from his mother's farm in Missouri to Foster's in Kansas.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article233616757.html

Last edited:
The Kansas City Star reports Garland Nelson is charged in Bourbon County, Kansas, with endangering the food supply. Prosecutors say Nelson didn't have proper health papers when he took 35 calves from his family's farm in Missouri to a farm in Fort Scott, Kansas, in May.

In Missouri , prosecutors allege Nelson abandoned a rental truck used by Justin and Nick Diemel, of Shawano County, Wisconsin, after the brothers visited the Nelson farm in Braymer, Missouri. The brothers were reported missing July 21 and are presumed dead.

A Kansas farmer, David Foster, said the 35 calves brought to his pasture were sick . He says he and Nelson bought 131 calves together but the other 96 died.
Man implicated in missing brothers case charged in Kansas

@Challenger/Deere. :) Thanks for your post.
Re Sokoloff, from link:
"He previously served as the elected Prosecuting Attorney of Dunklin County, Missouri from 1990 through 2014."
And much more there too.
Much appreciate the post. You all here at this site give some of us that are not part of legal process insight. Please explain this to me. I am not a lawyer and do not understand all the case net legal mumbo jumbo. I can follow but was confused on this certain post on case net. Thank You. Could not understand if he was assisting with prosecution or defense.

Much appreciate the post. You all here at this site give some of us that are not part of legal process insight. Please explain this to me. I am not a lawyer and do not understand all the case net legal mumbo jumbo. I can follow but was confused on this certain post on case net. Thank You. Could not understand if he was assisting with prosecution or defense.
He is assisting with the prosecution. Has a lot of experience and has been president of the Missouri Prosecuting Attorneys association.

True. Wasn't that what he was in trouble for before? Using a federal loan to buy cattle and then selling them without advising those that he had obtained the loan from?
@Elliot_Alderson :) Thanks for your post.
In a word, yes.
That plus more. Later today, I'll get you a link to an early MSM summary.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mojojojo
Back