Found Deceased MO - Nicholas Diemel, 35, & Justin, 24, brothers missing, Clinton County, 21 July 2019 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh. This just brings me back to so many questions. I may sound repetitive here, but..
- Did they know of this guys background?
- If so, were they having issues with him and that’s why they visited him this trip? Because it sounds like his place was the only one they had previous business with that they visited this time.
- What specifically was talked about on the phone call with the employee? He didn’t say anything seemed wrong.

I'm sort of wondering if they are searching that farm in Braymer because they know it to be the last place the brothers were at, or just because they know it to be the place of a former cattle felon with a burn pit? Although I would think a burn pit is common at a place like that.

Feeling bad for the families of these brothers as I don't think there is a happy ending here, regardless.

LE isn’t releasing the name of the actual farm, but just list the location at Catawba and Ayers (streets) in Braymer. But in the interview with their cousin, I think he said they were at this location when he last spoke to them at 11 am Sunday (and reportedly, they discussed the cattle at this farm). The men were set to leave for the airport for their flight home at 1:30. Their rental truck was later found running with lights on, unoccupied, in that commuter parking lot with carry on luggage still inside. Finding where their phones last pinged will be key, especially if the phones never left that farm (although the truck did).

I think many of the cattle they were checking on were either dead or gone (sold). Diemel hire many farms to raise cattle for them for sale/slaughter.

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of fraud, cattle declared dead but actually sold, something like that. JMO
Included in the three-part cattle fraud scheme he pleaded guilty to in November 2015:

“Nelson also schemed to remove identification from cattle that was owned by others but placed in his care to graze. Nelson removed identification tags from 646 head of cattle that belonged to others, and commingled these cattle with his own and with those owned by his neighbor and landlord, in order to sell livestock undetected. He sold those cattle for his own benefit, for a total loss to three victims of $124,000.” (BBM)
Braymer Man Sentenced for $262,000 Cattle Fraud

If this is what he did again, how did he think he was going to get away with it?

It’s also pretty incredible to me that he would have been only 18 years old when the fraud first began.
Braymer Man Sentenced for $262,000 Cattle Fraud

I was thinking along the lines of some sort of fraud, cattle declared dead but actually sold, something like that. JMO
On local news this morning here in Wisconsin they said the cattle fraud involved changing identification on cattle that were owned by someone else. Then the cattle were sold as belonging to the thief.

TV stations are reporting that the Diemel’s were not part of the fraud scam that this particular farm owner was involved in back in 2015/2016, which may mean they were not aware of his background and history. They are friends on FB (Diemel and farm owner), fwiw.

And I think the wife said it was a routine trip, nothing out of the ordinary. They were stopping by to check the cattle and collect money from a cattle sale, I believe.

I was aware that they weren’t involved in the fraud scam, but it seems like something that was pretty public and more than likely, pretty well known about in the cattle industry, with it being a federal case and all, so maybe I’m wrong in thinking that they had to have known about it to some extent. Maybe they knew him and gave him the benefit of the doubt or maybe they just truly had no idea of his past.

TV stations are reporting that the Diemel’s were not part of the fraud scam that this particular farm owner was involved in back in 2015/2016, which may mean they were not aware of his background and history. They are friends on FB (Diemel and farm owner), fwiw.

And I think the wife said it was a routine trip, nothing out of the ordinary. They were stopping by to check the cattle and collect money from a cattle sale, I believe.
That's a good point, they might not have known the criminal history. Doubt they would have been dealing with him if they did.

It's kind of hard to believe something bad happened so fast in such a short space of time, routine visit, friends but that's what it looks like. JMO

I just watched "Life After Leavenworth: A Cattle Producer Shares His Story" on Iowa public television website. I would suggest watching it. If this is the farmer they would have been involved with I got the impression that he doesn't think he did anything wrong when committing the cattle fraud he was convicted of and I could see him spinning it to others that way.

I am still praying for a miracle.

I just watched "Life After Leavenworth: A Cattle Producer Shares His Story" on Iowa public television website. I would suggest watching it. If this is the farmer they would have been involved with I got the impression that he doesn't think he did anything wrong when committing the cattle fraud he was convicted of and I could see him spinning it to others that way.

I am still praying for a miracle.

Wow! Thanks for the heads up. Here is a YouTube link

Cattle Fraud in MO, Different Kinds
Another guy just arrested for large scale cattle fraud this week.
Clinton Man Sentenced for $4.7 Million Cattle Investment Fraud Scheme

Asking mod to delete my earlier post, as confusing, too late to edit.

@calo,
IIRC Per your link, Clinton, MO. man Cameron J. Hager , 43, was sentenced in Mar. 2019, not arrested, for his 2015-2017 crimes.

Ponzi Scheme = One type of fraud
"A Clinton, Mo., man has been sentenced in federal court for a $4.7 million investment fraud scheme in which he defrauded 92 investors who believed they were purchasing cattle for resale at a profit."
In ^ case, Hager told investors he would buy cattle w $ they invested, would raise, sell & give them % of profit or % interest on 'loan.' He did not buy, raise, or handle any cattle, but just took $$$, did not pay investors back. IOW, he ran Ponzi or pyramid scheme.

Other Type of Fraud, w Actual Cattle
In prior crime Nelson (current POI w Diemels?)
- was provided cattle by cattle-owners and agreed to raise them for $ and eventually they would be sold.
- removed owner-ID tags from ears, sold those cattle, kept the $$$.

Two different types of fraud. ^ jmo, IIUC.

Current events:
IIUC, the Diemels from WI bought cattle (presumably in MO auctions) then were paying Nelson to raise them on his farm/property (local-ish to auction where bought?), and cattle would be sold at approp time. IDK whether contract/arrangement also would give Nelson a bonus/part of profits/etc. after the sale of cattle.

^ No known fraud/crime in contract/agreement itself ^ but we don't know if Nelson was adhering to agreement or if he sold/had plans to sell cattle as his own and keep $ like he did before.
If so ^, reason to suspect Nelson as POI in Diemels' disappearance.

All jmo, sorry for earlier confusing post.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Cattle Fraud in MO, Different Kinds

Asking mod to delete my earlier post, as confusing, too late to edit.

@calo,
IIRC Per your link, Clinton, MO. man Cameron J. Hager , 43, was sentenced in Mar. 2019, not arrested, for his 2015-2017 crimes.

Ponzi Scheme = One type of fraud
"A Clinton, Mo., man has been sentenced in federal court for a $4.7 million investment fraud scheme in which he defrauded 92 investors who believed they were purchasing cattle for resale at a profit."
In ^ case, Hager told investors he would buy cattle w $ they invested, would raise, sell & give them % of profit or % interest on 'loan.' He did not buy, raise, or handle any cattle, but just took $$$, did not pay investors back. IOW, he ran Ponzi or pyramid scheme.

Other Type of Fraud, w Actual Cattle
In prior crime Nelson (current POI w Diemels?)
- was provided cattle by cattle-owners and agreed to raise them for $ and eventually they would be sold.
- removed owner-ID tags from ears, sold those cattle, kept the $$$.

Two different types of fraud. ^ jmo, IIUC.

Current events:
IIUC, the Diemels from WI bought cattle (presumably in MO auctions) then were paying Nelson to raise them on his farm/property (local-ish to auction where bought?), and cattle would be sold at approp time. IDK whether contract/arrangement also would give Nelson a bonus/part of profits/etc. after the sale of cattle.

^ No known fraud/crime in contract/agreement itself ^ but we don't know if Nelson was adhering to agreement or if he sold/had plans to sell cattle as his own and keep $ like he did before.
If so ^, reason to suspect Nelson as POI in Diemels' disappearance.

All jmo, sorry for earlier confusing post.

Thanks for the correction, I thought he was just arrested!

Still have to shake my head a little at the term “cattle fraud” as I never knew such a thing existed, but the more I looked, the more cases of it I found!

Diemel Cattle Company raises or feeds cows in nearly every state from New York to Texas. The Diemels raise and feed a lot of cows in Missouri.

Relatives and employees of the brothers have gathered with the media on the perimeter of the search site. They’ve driven down from the Green Bay, Wis., area with all-terrain vehicles to help in the search if needed.

The brothers wallets and cell phones were not found in their vehicle when it was recovered in Holt, Mo., earlier this week.

Relatives and employees of the Diemels declined to discuss why the brothers may have been at the search site (connected to a man named Joey Nelson), saying that they don’t want to jeopardize the investigation.

Search continues in Clinton County for missing cattle company owners from Wisconsin

LE had probable cause if they had a search warrant to search the "felon" property. Sadly, this isn't looking good for the missing brothers. :(
Edited to add that the mens’ wallets and cell phones were not found in their abandoned truck. Hoping that the cell phone pings are what lead to finding them.

I’m leaning towards phone pings, too:

Updated: 9:21 PM CDT Jul 23, 2019
“Nick's wife Lisa Diemel said the two made trips often for work. They were in town checking on cattle they owned that were being raised in Missouri.

At first, Lisa Diemel said she thought the two were taking a later flight. Calls to Justin's phone went straight to voicemail. Calls to Nick would ring but never got answered.” (BBM)
Wisconsin brothers missing after work trip to Clinton County

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member