MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot say much more until I get permission from Tricia, but I hope she does write me back today so I can elaborate. I'm a huge fan of the Gorilla Girls, I'm hoping as a feminist you know who they are. (If you haven't heard of them, look them up, they're amazing.) I work in a field that is completely dominated by men and have struggled my way the entire time. I'm for equality of rights, but that means equal, not all women are innocent by virtue of being a woman. As I said, I hope Tricia replies to me soon so that you can know my reasoning and not assume I'm automatically siding with one party.

I applaud you for standing up for what you believe in. Looking forward to hearing more, I have plenty of questions for you...:dance:

Silver, do you have a theory as to why these children would make these accusations, if it is true, as you say, that this family is above reproach?

IMO NO family is above reproach. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

I like that silver is balancing this discussion with practical information on the possible belief structure of this family. Thank you for that.

I am sitting on my feelings while this unfolds-my gut tells me that LE has physical proof already that they are keeping close. This is either going to fall apart quickly or it will grow as they expect it to...jmo.

I think child *advertiser censored* on the computer is a pretty HUGE red flag

IMO NO family is above reproach. No one knows what goes on behind closed doors.

Excellent point.

I am not a member of the bar in MO and only practice in Arizona, so I dont know the SOL on these crimes, does anyone? They may have run out already and if they dont find any bodies then there is no case. I know for example in Texas, the statute of limitations for sex crimes against a child is ten years after their eighteenth birthday. It is different for every state.

Child *advertiser censored* is another story, however, but they havent showed their hand on that yet.

ETA: After some research I did find this:

556.037 R.S.Mo. (2007)

556.037. Time limitations for prosecutions for sexual offenses involving a person under eighteen

Notwithstanding the provisions of section 556.036, prosecutions for unlawful sexual offenses involving a reason eighteen years of age or under must be commenced within twenty years after the victim reaches the age of eighteen unless the prosecutions are for forcible rape, attempted forcible rate, forcible sodomy, kidnapping, or attempted forcible sodomy in which case such prosecutions may be commenced at any time.

So we are definitely within the SOLs for MO and a case can proceed if evidence is found.

I have contacted Tricia and am waiting for a reply. When I posted the first time I didn't realize I had to contact her first. I am trying not to put up too much more than what can be found on the web until I hear from her.

I didn't mean to imply Mormons believe in that, I should have broken up that statement in a better way. Perhaps what I should have put was they are not Mormons. The Community of Christ church does not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses, which is some of what I had thought was implied in earlier posts.

Ok gotcha. I really think you have alot to offer as far as family dynamics, etc.

I think child *advertiser censored* on the computer is a pretty HUGE red flag

Indeed it is however it doesnt seem they have found any yet, the statement read:

The Cybercrimes Task Force joined the investigation when some evidence of child *advertiser censored* was found on computers belonging to the accused.

In my experience, in a criminal investigation, this could be anything including sending a perfectly innocent picture of your child taking a bath to his or her grandparents. We wont know the extent of this until they release what exactly was found.

I would like to add that any argument that these folks are good church attending christians and couldnt be guilty because of it, doesnt sit well with me, in my experience those are exactly the kind of people who are most guilty of these types of crimes. But again we will have to wait and see what happens.

It is also worth noting that Jr.'s wife said on the news last night that the charges were false and the result of a mad exwife. It also appears from my research that Jr. has gotten his butt handed to him financially a few times for child support for her, according to CaseNet.

Yes, it certainly does. As a feminist, I find it interesting that so often those who side with the (male) defendants introduce the person they believe is the real villian: the children's scheming, evil mother who just wants to hurt the menfolk. The mythical conniving ex-wife sure isn't innocent until proven guilty. Open minds, indeed.

What's the evidence? Did police actually find a body or at least a glass jar?
The allegations are regarding something that supposedly happened a long time ago, and supposedly involve "repressed memories."
http://www.apa.org/topics/memories.html

I have contacted Tricia and am waiting for a reply. When I posted the first time I didn't realize I had to contact her first. I am trying not to put up too much more than what can be found on the web until I hear from her.

I didn't mean to imply Mormons believe in that, I should have broken up that statement in a better way. Perhaps what I should have put was they are not Mormons. The Community of Christ church does not believe in child marriages or multiple spouses, which is some of what I had thought was implied in earlier posts.

Hi All,
Silverflower and I have made email contact. SilverFlower is very forth coming about her information. We are going to talk by phone soon.

Right now, I see no reason not to believe silverflower. Again, as we have seen happen before, there is only so much I can do to confirm someones identity.

Please carry on as you continue to treat silverflower with respect. Remember, please do not try and find out exactly who she is. For now, she is who she says she is from what I can tell.

Tricia

Yes, it certainly does. As a feminist, I find it interesting that so often those who side with the (male) defendants introduce the person they believe is the real villian: the children's scheming, evil mother who just wants to hurt the menfolk. The mythical conniving ex-wife sure isn't innocent until proven guilty. Open minds, indeed.

The allegations are regarding something that supposedly happened a long time ago, and supposedly involve repressed memories. Repressed memories can be false, and without corroborative evidence (like if police actually finds a body in this case) it is not possible at this time to distinguish a false memory from a true memory.

"The mechanism(s) by which both of these phenomena happen are not well understood and, at this point it is impossible, without other corroborative evidence, to distinguish a true memory from a false one."

The allegations are regarding something that supposedly happened a long time ago, and supposedly involve "repressed memories."

Good point.

It is also worth noting that ALL of the allegations at this time are coming from Burrel Jr's children from his first wife only and it appears from my research that he has been embroiled with this woman in litagation for over a decade or more according to casenet. It is also notable that all the other brothers and Burrel Jr himself have OTHER children who are making no accusations at this time. If it is true, as many here are fond of saying, that paedophiles do not stop at one, and I tend to AGREE that is true, then it is notable that only the children from this first marriage of Burrel Jr are making the accusations and none of the children from the other brother's have come forward with similar experiences/allegations.

If the child had an abortion at the age of 11, there must be either a hospital or dr's record. I can not imagine taking an 11 year old to a fly by night doc with no problems. However, abortion was illegal in MO in the 1980s/90s, was it not? Wasn't MO one of the last states to allow abortions and isn't abortion still highly regulated, especially regarding minors in MO today?

Abortion has been legal in all states since the decision by the US Supreme Court in Roe v Wade in 1973.

Whether or not any doctors or clinics actually provided abortions in MO between 1973 and now is an entirely different question, and one I cannot answer.

Hoppy

I have been trying to determine when the son sold this property according to this it would have been around 1999-2000. FWIW...Trying to figure out a time frame for any missing children around the time from 1974 - 1999..

*******************************************************************************************************************

Alice Mohler, the wife of Burrell Mohler Sr., died in December 1991. Her obituary indicates the family had moved from Independence to near Bates City in 1973. A neighbor said the Mohler family left that property about 10 years ago. She said the family largely kept to themselves

http://www.kansascity.com/703/story/1564393-p2.html

Good point.

It is also worth noting that ALL of the allegations at this time are coming from Burrel Jr's children from his first wife only and it appears from my research that he has been embroiled with this woman in litagation for over a decade or more according to casenet. It is also notable that all the other brothers and Burrel Jr himself have OTHER children who are making no accusations at this time. If it is true, as many here are fond of saying, that paedophiles do not stop at one, and I tend to AGREE that is true, then it is notable that only the children from this first marriage of Burrel Jr are making the accusations and none of the children from the other brother's have come forward with similar experiences/allegations.

and conversely -- another thought -- some abused children have very strong loyalties to their abusers, and when trained for years to 'keep the secrets', will do just that. Especially victims/survivors of incest.

There also exists the possibility that there may be other family dynamics or mental/emotional reasons which would prevent siblings from 'outing' abuser(s).

and conversely -- another thought -- some abused children have very strong loyalties to their abusers, and when trained for years to 'keep the secrets', will do just that. Especially victims/survivors of incest.

There also exists the possibility that there may be other family dynamics or mental/emotional reasons which would prevent siblings from 'outing' abuser(s).

No argument from me on that, all good points and certainly worth consideration in this matter.

Hopefully if this is all true then the other children will speak up also and those guilty will pay a hefty price, but if it turns out to NOT be true then conversely those making the accusations should in turn pay a hefty price.

IMO making false accusations of child sexual abuse should be as REPULSIVE to us as the acts themselves. Sadly I often do not see this sentiment and it disturbs me.

I would sure like to hear what this lady has to say...

"FOX 4 attempted to contact the ex-wife of Burrell Mohler, Sr. Neighbors say that she has remarried and has relocated to South Dakota."

sorry, I didn't bring the link. It was the last sentence of a three page article posted in this thread.

Also, wondering about the children of the other brothers. Where were they during this time? Where the other brothers even married/having children during this period? Would also like to know where the mother was while all this was occuring...i.e. why were the kids there for extended periods of time?

I personally have no trouble believing the details of this case, unfortunately, but even so, there are questions that need answers, such as why would the other grandchildren escape this fate?

I would sure like to hear what this lady has to say...

"FOX 4 attempted to contact the ex-wife of Burrell Mohler, Sr. Neighbors say that she has remarried and has relocated to South Dakota."

sorry, I didn't bring the link. It was the last sentence of a three page article posted in this thread.

Also, wondering about the children of the other brothers. Where were they during this time? Where the other brothers even married/having children during this period? Would also like to know where the mother was while all this was occuring...i.e. why were the kids there for extended periods of time?

I personally have no trouble believing the details of this case, unfortunately, but even so, there are questions that need answers, such as why would the other grandchildren escape this fate?

Excellent questions, perhaps SILVERFLOWER can shed some light on this as she claims to have grown up with some of the children of the OTHER BROTHERS, so she would be in a good position to know whether they were possibly being abused or not.

I have found through the use of my own research tools here at the office, the names and DOBs of all other children in the family from the other brothers but I will not release that information on a public forum unless they become involved in the case. Needless to say, the other brothers do appear to have children and did have children at the time these events may have taken place, at least in part.

I also find it notable that none of them have spoken up yet, but it is still very early in this investigation and they may come forward at some point, or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faefawn