MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good article about David. Notice that the retired Professor Ramsey also has known the elder Mohler for over 50 years. This family has been well-known and involved for decades.

http://www.kcci.com/news/21585725/detail.html

"People at Graceland University and David Mohler's neighbors said they found the story unbelievable. "I know Dave is one of the kindest people you know in the town," said neighbor and retired Graceland professor Bob Ramsey. "I find it hard to believe he could have harmed children, knowing his own two daughters. They both took piano lessons from my wife."

Found this on google. It's from 2007, and it seems they had been married 25 yrs at that point which would make it 1982. ??????????

page 3 under Thank You

http://www.lamonicofchrist.org/bulletins/Lamoni Bulletin - Dec. 9 2007.pdf

Ouote:
Thank You
Thank you for the cards (or other expressions of congratulations) with our daughters’ surprise card shower for our 25th anniversary. We are blessed to be in such a loving, caring community. David and Michelle Mohler

Dec. 9, 2007

ETA: I know I was wondering where the women were! Yikes! I foolishly thought maybe there weren't any. Because how could they not suspect????

One of the articles that I linked here today where a guy did an interview and said his 'son' was a victim of one of these men, he stated he was told about the 'abuse' by one of the ex-wives.

It seems this guy who was interviewed, ex-wife who had custody of his then young son, was involved with one of the brothers. Anyway, the brother's ex contacted this man and told him that her ex-husband 'liked' his son and IIRC, had 'slept' with him. She told the man his son was in danger. The guy got FULL custody of his son (who's now 17) and the guy has received threats of some sort from Mohler.

Oh, and I believe it's in the 'comments' section, this same man was posting and he said the incident was reported. It happened in I think, 2000 or 2001.

JMHO
fran

IMO The senior father of the rest didn't wake up one day and ask his adult son's to join in. He was grooming, abusing and including his sons from a very young age.

If all this turns out the way it seems to be heading, I think you are absolutely right, Linda.

OCALA – A 72-year-old Marion County man accused of raping two children in another state made his first appearance in front of a judge Saturday afternoon.

Wearing flip-flops, brown pants and a red and white jail top, Darrel Wayne Mohler slowly made his way to the podium to face Judge Frances King, who was conducting hearings at the Marion County Jail shortly after 1 p.m.

A handcuffed Mohler, who says he has a bad knee and multiple sicknesses, told the judge he was retired, owned his home and receives $2,000 a month as his retirement.

King told Mohler he was not eligible for a public defender and set bail at $40,000. Asked if he wanted to waive extradition back to Missouri for being a fugitive of justice, Mohler told the judge he did not know.

Mohler has been charged in Lafayette County, Mo., with two counts of forcible rape stemming from 1986, according to court documents.

Five other members of the Mohler family were charged this past week with several felonies, including forcible sodomy, rape of a child younger than 12 and use of a child in a sexual performance.

Outside the makeshift courtroom at the jail, Mohler, presently on suicide watch, told the Star-Banner he had “no idea” about the allegations and claimed he has lived at his Silver Springs home, 5855 N.E. 165th Terrace, since 1984. Mohler was arrested Friday night at the home as he was pulling out of his driveway, officials said.

“If I was there long enough to rape them (the children), I would’ve known about it,” Mohler said while seated on a bench, waiting to be transported back to his cell. WTF?
An official who answered the phone at the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department in Missouri said no one was available to answer questions about the matter until Monday.

Mohler told the Star-Banner he returned home Friday night after picking up his daughter and was pulling into his driveway with his 16-year-old granddaughter and 12-year-old grandson when he saw a “bunch of cop cars” and “all the neighbors were outside.”

Asked about the allegations, Mohler said if his brother or any family members are involved, then the authorities should “prosecute them.”

The other men charged in the case are Mohler’s brother, Burrell Edward Mohler Sr., 77, of Independence, and his four adult sons: Burrell Edward Mohler Jr., 53, of Independence; Jared Leroy Mohler, 48, of Columbia; Roland Neil Mohler, 47, of Bates City; and David A. Mohler, 52, of Lamoni, Iowa.

“I’ve no contact with him or his family,” Darrel Mohler said about his brother and his extended family.

He said he and his brother “grew apart” and that aside from one of his nephews calling him every Christmas and birthday, “he has nothing to do with" his brother.

The probable cause statement against Darrel Mohler accuses him of raping two children between the ages of 5 and 9 at an abandoned house in Bates City, Mo. The statement alleges that after Mohler left the children, Burrell Mohler Sr. came to the room and warned them to “be careful because waterbeds were known to pop and they might drown in their sleep.”

Darrel Mohler said that after leaving home, he joined the U.S. Navy in 1955 and left three years later. He said he rejoined the Navy five years later and left again in 1967. He then worked as a corrections officer at the Marion Correctional Institution for a decade, he said, and then worked as an electrical contractor in Key West for several years before moving to Silver Springs.

Darrel Mohler said he has visited Missouri once, maybe twice, since leaving home. One of the occasions, he said, was as he was heading to bury his mother in Indiana in 1981.

Darrel Mohler said he’s a disabled veteran and has had numerous aliments, including triple-bypass surgery and heart and lung problems.

He said he was placed on suicide watch because when he arrived at the jail, he was asked if he was depressed and said “yes,” he was “devastated.” He said he was asked if he had ever contemplated suicide and said “most of us have” and that it has “crossed our minds one way or another.”

Asked whether he will sign the extradition papers to head back to Missouri, Darrel Mohler said he "doesn’t know what to do.”

“I’m dumbfounded. I thought I would retire and take it easy,” he said.

Well then, by the time he goes back to Missouri, and I'm sure he will, they'll have MORE evidence against him, :loser:IMHO.

Just sayin'
fran

He looks like that old guy ( can't recall his name) but he did the Quaker Oats commercial!!

This is going to be horrendous and HUGE. I think this is just the tip of the ice berg. Le4t's just hope the victims can find justice in the bible belt!

Linda--You can't imagine how many people who've said the same thing on a lot of the newspaper comment pages!! The actor's name is Wilford Brimley. I don't have a TV so I haven't seen him but I checked and he does look like Darrel. Poor Wilford.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilford_Brimley[/ame]

OCALA – A 72-year-old Marion County man accused of raping two children in another state made his first appearance in front of a judge Saturday afternoon.

Wearing flip-flops, brown pants and a red and white jail top, Darrel Wayne Mohler slowly made his way to the podium to face Judge Frances King, who was conducting hearings at the Marion County Jail shortly after 1 p.m.

A handcuffed Mohler, who says he has a bad knee and multiple sicknesses, told the judge he was retired, owned his home and receives $2,000 a month as his retirement.

King told Mohler he was not eligible for a public defender and set bail at $40,000. Asked if he wanted to waive extradition back to Missouri for being a fugitive of justice, Mohler told the judge he did not know.

Mohler has been charged in Lafayette County, Mo., with two counts of forcible rape stemming from 1986, according to court documents.

Five other members of the Mohler family were charged this past week with several felonies, including forcible sodomy, rape of a child younger than 12 and use of a child in a sexual performance.

Outside the makeshift courtroom at the jail, Mohler, presently on suicide watch, told the Star-Banner he had “no idea” about the allegations and claimed he has lived at his Silver Springs home, 5855 N.E. 165th Terrace, since 1984. Mohler was arrested Friday night at the home as he was pulling out of his driveway, officials said.

“If I was there long enough to rape them (the children), I would’ve known about it,” Mohler said while seated on a bench, waiting to be transported back to his cell. WTF?
An official who answered the phone at the Lafayette County Sheriff’s Department in Missouri said no one was available to answer questions about the matter until Monday.

Mohler told the Star-Banner he returned home Friday night after picking up his daughter and was pulling into his driveway with his 16-year-old granddaughter and 12-year-old grandson when he saw a “bunch of cop cars” and “all the neighbors were outside.”

Asked about the allegations, Mohler said if his brother or any family members are involved, then the authorities should “prosecute them.”

The other men charged in the case are Mohler’s brother, Burrell Edward Mohler Sr., 77, of Independence, and his four adult sons: Burrell Edward Mohler Jr., 53, of Independence; Jared Leroy Mohler, 48, of Columbia; Roland Neil Mohler, 47, of Bates City; and David A. Mohler, 52, of Lamoni, Iowa.

“I’ve no contact with him or his family,” Darrel Mohler said about his brother and his extended family.

He said he and his brother “grew apart” and that aside from one of his nephews calling him every Christmas and birthday, “he has nothing to do with" his brother.

The probable cause statement against Darrel Mohler accuses him of raping two children between the ages of 5 and 9 at an abandoned house in Bates City, Mo. The statement alleges that after Mohler left the children, Burrell Mohler Sr. came to the room and warned them to “be careful because waterbeds were known to pop and they might drown in their sleep.”

Darrel Mohler said that after leaving home, he joined the U.S. Navy in 1955 and left three years later. He said he rejoined the Navy five years later and left again in 1967. He then worked as a corrections officer at the Marion Correctional Institution for a decade, he said, and then worked as an electrical contractor in Key West for several years before moving to Silver Springs.

Darrel Mohler said he has visited Missouri once, maybe twice, since leaving home. One of the occasions, he said, was as he was heading to bury his mother in Indiana in 1981.

Darrel Mohler said he’s a disabled veteran and has had numerous aliments, including triple-bypass surgery and heart and lung problems.

He said he was placed on suicide watch because when he arrived at the jail, he was asked if he was depressed and said “yes,” he was “devastated.” He said he was asked if he had ever contemplated suicide and said “most of us have” and that it has “crossed our minds one way or another.”

Asked whether he will sign the extradition papers to head back to Missouri, Darrel Mohler said he "doesn’t know what to do.”

“I’m dumbfounded. I thought I would retire and take it easy,” he said.

maybe sitting in a jail cell will give him time to think things over -- and since this one seems to be a talker, maybe he'll decide to tell whatever he knows to LE...I wish we knew what caused the brothers to 'grow apart'.

Most folks don't just stop talking to their only sibling w/o a good reason, IMO.

Does it bother anybody else that this man was out with his 11 year old daughter and 12 and 16 year old grandchildren when he was arrested (I didn't see a mention of his wife)? The whole thing strikes me as "off". I don't know if I'd be out alone with my children if I were a man whose brother and nephews had just been arrested for child rape. It's almost as if he's flaunting himself. That's how his comments come off too. I swear I never seem to see any mention of a mother or grandmother in these articles. Where are the women??

OH HECK YEAH! It bothered me he was with young children...apparently his "target age".

I suspect some of the women knew or had a least suspicions....but I would be shocked if they all did.

OH HECK YEAH! It bothered me he was with young children...apparently his "target age".

I suspect some of the women knew or had a least suspicions....but I would be shocked if they all did.

For all of you who are so sure these people did what they are accused of-there is a thread on this very board about a guy who just got 5 million $ for being wrongfully convicted of child molestation. Think about that. I see a lot of arrests on something that allegedly happened a long time ago.
Any physical evidence would be presumably long gone.
So far, authorities haven't declared they found any bodies or even glass jars.
So what exactly convinces you this guy actually had a "target age?"

ITA - I don't want to insult anyone who really didn't have a clue....BUT..SOMEONE had to of had a "feeling" if this was going on. C'mon, we're talking 10 years here. And I really do wonder about family traits going back generations...me and my sibs went thru a different kind of abuse and to this day we hold anger towards the adults who HAD to notice our behavior and kept silent. There, I said it.

go ahead-yell at me.

ITA - I don't want to insult anyone who really didn't have a clue....BUT..SOMEONE had to of had a "feeling" if this was going on. C'mon, we're talking 10 years here. And I really do wonder about family traits going back generations...me and my sibs went thru a different kind of abuse and to this day we hold anger towards the adults who HAD to notice our behavior and kept silent. There, I said it.

go ahead-yell at me.

Off topic, but I'm too busy laughing at love, chaos and supper to yell.

We don't, of course, know if anyone turned their backs on heinous things happening in this case.

I completely agree that it is hard to understand adults not seeing something weird with this much stuff being recalled.

I will say this - during the course of my tender years (4-17) I spent a lot of time around two men who were molesters.

Kids were always skeezed out and knew something was off with each man. One many was the godfather of one of my sisters and I know adults knew he acted a little off around all the pretty little girls, but honestly, I don't think they really knew that he was actually molesting kids (he was). It was almost like they were all in clouds. Sexual abuse and safety was just not a topic back then.

Eventually, he was caught in California and did some jail time.

The other man was a teacher at the highbrow private school I attended. His eventual criminal trail put him in jail, where he died shortly thereafter. A civil suit against my school brought the largest punitive verdict my state had ever seen. Again, there was a sort of cloud back when he was among students. All the boys knew to stay the hell away from him and we all joked about it. I don't think anyone of us actually knew how many boys he was harming. We certainly never talked to any of the teachers or grownups about it. Again, the adults and we children/teenagers were all in kind of a haze.

I am not trying to make excuses. Frankly, if these allegations turn out to be true, this family had a sick, sick dynamic and members not picking up on (or worse, actively ignoring) terrible things going on would be par for the course in that type of dysfunction.

I don't think most people even considered sex abuse many years ago. It was not talked about like it is now.

From Southcity Mom:

Kids were always skeezed out and knew something was off with each man. One many was the godfather of one of my sisters and I know adults knew he acted a little off around all the pretty little girls, but honestly, I don't think they really knew that he was actually molesting kids (he was). It was almost like they were all in clouds. Sexual abuse and safety was just not a topic back then.

Touche. Thank you.

go ahead-yell at me.

zoomom, I feel for your childhood pain & what it means to deal with it as an adult...and I totally understand anger & resentment at adults who failed to acknowledge the anguish that you & your sibs must have been going thru.

I don't think anyone will yell at you...there are too many on this thread (and WS in general) who have experienced abuse & really can empathize.

((hugs))

Thanks, Texas Mist. Maybe this case is bringing out a little too much in me. Let sleeping dogs lie, and all that. Nuff said.

For all of you who are so sure these people did what they are accused of-there is a thread on this very board about a guy who just got 5 million $ for being wrongfully convicted of child molestation. Think about that. I see a lot of arrests on something that allegedly happened a long time ago.
Any physical evidence would be presumably long gone.
So far, authorities haven't declared they found any bodies or even glass jars.
So what exactly convinces you this guy actually had a "target age?"

So far, this case really isn't about jars or bodies. It's about sexual abuse of children - who appear to be united in their claims.

And - FYI - it doesn't matter how long ago it occurred. If it happened at all, these freaks need to be held accountable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez