MO - Six Mohler family members for child sex crimes, Bates City 2009 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Southcitymom--This is slightly off topic but I wanted to comment about the civil suit against the private school you mentioned. I am not a greedy woman. However, my children are saddled with therapy needs they will never be able to meet as adults. They received federal assistance due to their special needs upon our adoption of them. They then received a limited amount of therapy (those who were deemed to be able to benefit from it). Now that they are all over 18, they receive nothing at all.

Our children were raped in the local school during school hours and in our neighbors' yard and in our own. I would have thought that the other parents or school would bear some culpability but this is not the case.

We've been counseled to seek legal representation over the years by every body from the AG on down the line. Guess what? No one will take our case. We've gone to the finest and best reviewed attorneys in Portland and SF and they'll spend a few hours with us and send us on our way. It seems that a school or a set of parents MUST have reason to believe that a juvenile could be a sexual threat before you can sue. We've been told that unless details come out that those facts can be proved, our children are out of luck. That has always surprised me and disappointed me. It also bowls me over that the other family has every tiny tidbit of info about our family and yet we are prohibited from ever knowing anything at all about the rapist's past--nothing at all.

The parents of the young man who raped our children own medical buildings which they used as collateral to defend their son. They also received tens of thousands of dollars in donations for the "wrongly accused". Where are the funds for our kids? I realize that we might not even have the strength or desire to fight yet again but we've never been given that opportunity.

When the rapist was convicted, he was assessed a $60 fine for each of the rapes against the children. He's never even paid that piddly little bit of money. When we got dragged into the Post-conviction trial--very much against our will--we were told by the AG not to worry. Well we needed to worry. She couldn't represent or protect our kids. It was her job to protect and defend the veracity of the conviction--which she did admirably. Our kids were all ordered to be deposed again and our medical, personal, school, and financial records (for the past 15 years) were subpoenaed 9 years after the trial. The supreme court issued a writ of mandamus prohibiting the release of these documents to the defense but it was too late. The 15,000 documents had already been released and we got charged for the copying of them. We've requested their return and have waited two years with no action. Our children were called as witnesses FOR the rapist to prove in a convoluted way that he did not receive a fair trial. I know it's almost unbelievable but we were reminded that the rapist had constitutional rights and we were compelled to comply with them. You all might think that I'm a reasonably "put-together" person but I fell apart on the witness stand. I cried and begged the judge to spare our children the agony of facing their rapist again. We dealt with two attempted suicides that week but were sternly told that those kids had better present themselves for the depositions. One had to be picked up at the psychiatric dept. of the hospital to go to his deposition. The depositions took place two days before Christmas and drug on for 14 hours. We were also reeling from the death of a grand-baby that month. We were advised to immediately hire an attorney ($10,000) which did nothing to prevent the depositions (and trauma and suicide attempts). This is when we got busy and changed Oregon law to prohibit this from ever happening again to another victim. You can actually read the changes to the Crime Victims Laws in the brochure produced last year. That was our kids' legacy. Something wonderful and strong did come from our children's pain.

So, for those who jump to conclusions (and I'm not commenting at all about your very lucid and important post), that victims automatically will "get the farm", it's not true. We gave up eleven years of our lives and lost most of our financial assets in fighting our case. I worry that the victims in this current case will also be left bereft and penniless. It's not fair but it's the way it is. I find it unacceptable when a victim refuses to testify but I do understand in my heart where they are coming from. Justice does not come cheap. I guess the moral of this story is to watch your children and prevent the abuse from happening in the first place. Our justice system is not child or family friendly.

Missizzy-I have to laugh when politicians talk about tort reform and how ,whatever it is, has to be protected from greedy lawyers.

I don't care what type of situation it is, I've rarely seen anyone win a court case who should.

People always bring up the McDonald's hot coffee case. I can't figure out how that was won, unless the person who filed it had a billion dollars of her own.

Justice for victims-maybe sometimes. I always hear people talking about suing for whatever. All I can say is, "Good luck." Don't waste your money.

OT:

Human - just fyi...the McD. case was legit. They had been warned (sued) about 27 times before (they settled each time but had a gag order in each settlement). They never corrected the problem before this case hit the news. IIRC - the woman refused to accept a settlement with the gag order.

I saw the photos of the burns.

But I STILL don't know if the woman ever collected. Can't even remember her name.

The lawyers cleaned up - not the victim.

Victims have to be REALLY BRAVE to even open their mouths JMO.

Missizzy- OT, I know, but I soooo believe the turmoil your family went thru.
Just wanted you to know.

I should have been more specific. They talk about tort reform in terms of frivolous cases. One can't even get a real case to go anywhere. I don't know how a frivolous case could even exist unless the person suing had tons of money.

Yes, it's the lawyers that get all of the cash. And those gag orders are so handy because you can never find out what really happened. Like how a particular drug really kills people, for example.

I can't find a link that directly refers to "bottles" which are buried, but watching the boob tube last night, there was a History Channel (I think) show about Jesse James and the Knights of the Golden Circle. Some Civil War era secret society who allegedly went around burying treasure in bottles. Seems to be a well known legend, and they were big in MO/KS/AR.

This is the only link I found that somewhat refers to it:
The Lost Confederate Treasure :
The Knights of the Golden Circle
http://cash-and-treasures-wiki.travelchannel.com/page/Lost+Treasure+Stories

There are vast tracks of wilderness in the forest covered hills and mountains of Arkansas. Bob Brewer of Hatfield Arkansas just might have solved the mystery to one of the greatest lost treasures of all time. As a boy Bob would hunt the hills of western Arkansas with his great uncle "Grandpa" Ashfield." Often they would come upon a grove of trees with strange craving.Grandpa would say, "If you can figure out the markings you will find some gold." It took him years but he finally broke the code and found $200,000 in coins which silenced the sceptics.
But this is only the beginning of the story. Bob maintains that his great uncle kept a secrete. Across the country and even into Canada similar caches of treasure are hidden. Hidden by a group of conspirators bent on bringing down the established government. The intrigue involves a powerful group of Confederates and northern sympathizers known as the Knights of the Golden Circle. Influential men and even the outlaw Jessie James were committed to the cause.

I can easily see this as a passed down legend from generation to generation and become a good idea for other things....JMO. I can also see them identifying themselves w/J.J.

Has the been anything else about the Father of the 7 year old boy who got a "warning"from a Moehler ex-wife to get his son out of there and he eventually was awarded custody of his son?Id think maybe the evidence used in his custody case(as he was successful)would further support these claims?

Folks--I posted this a ways back and then a few minutes later, Darrel was arrested. I think this is interesting info which should be considered. I'm moving my post here and will delete it from post #597. (Ooops, didn't realize that I can't delete from a closed thread)

I've been wracking my brain for days about the jars. I just knew that I'd heard this somewhere before. I thought that I'd read a children's book with this theme but couldn't find a thing. It finally hit me. Several years ago, I read an article in a crafts magazine about "journal jars". You take a jar, like a peanut butter jar, and fold up wishes, dreams, and inspirational quotes to hide inside it. I did some research and came up with this on a Mormon site:

http://www.lightplanet.com/mormons/ywc/journaljars.htm

I have no idea how long Mormon girls have been doing this but I also came across some possible historical basis for this within the Mormon belief:

http://mi.byu.edu/publications/books...id=9&chapid=75

Could this be what the alleged victims were instructed to do with their painful memories? From the first site:

"Preserve your memories - seal them up well.
What you forget, you can never retell.
But a journal that's kept fresh on the shelf
Will help someone through rough times --
Maybe even yourself!"

I've also wondered about the man who went to the media reporting that a female acquaintance, related to Roland Mohler, had disclosed sexual abuse to him. The odd thing is that the woman repeatedly complained of stomach pain. Roland Mohler is the EMT. The man said he'd called LE but hadn't heard back. He also said the woman was scared and was waiting for a subpoena. I wonder if he heard back.

Could this be a victim who suffered through a home abortion and is still suffering pain? He comments that the woman's relatives accused her of attention seeking. She also reported that the abuse has been on-going (with an attempt as recent as a month ago).

http://www.nbcactionnews.com/news/l...-Relative/h3sit3d_M0Ci9yMDJNxzCw.cspx?rss=764

Police Clear Man In Bates City Sex Case
Larry Kidd Says He Was Arrested For Knowing Victim
POSTED: 9:32 am CST November 15, 2009
UPDATED: 9:48 am CST November 15, 2009

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A man who police arrested and released in connection with the sex crimes case in Bates City, Mo., said he doesn't understand why he was linked to the case in the first place.

Man Cleared In Child Sex Investigation

"Where in the world does it come from? You tell me -- may the world tell me -- because I have no clue," said Larry Kidd.

Police said no charges would be filed against Kidd, who was home on his front porch three days after being tied to the case. He said he has never met any members of the Mohler family, several members of which are accused of sexually molesting children on their Missouri ranch.

Kidd said it's possible police took him into custody because he knows one of the alleged victims.

http://www.kmbc.com/news/21620822/detail.html

This sounds like an early form of geocaching. This is description of early Mormon treasure-seeking/hunting rituals:

http://earlymormon.com/TopicalGuide.pdf

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_plates[/ame]

I wonder if any modern day Mormons still practice this? I wonder if they could be consulted to help find the jars? That would be a noble pursuit.

This case is causing me to want to research more about Mormon history. The rituals, the early involvement with the occult....very intriguing.

Man accused of Missouri child rape is ‘dumbfounded'

Outside the makeshift courtroom at the jail, Mohler, presently on suicide watch, told the Star-Banner he had "no idea" about the allegations and claimed he has lived at his Silver Springs home, 5855 N.E. 165th Terrace, since 1984. Mohler was arrested Friday night at the home as he was pulling out of his driveway, officials said.

"If I was there long enough to rape them (the children), I would've known about it," Mohler said while seated on a bench, waiting to be transported back to his cell.

An official who answered the phone at the Lafayette County Sheriff's Department in Missouri said no one was available to answer questions about the matter until Monday.

Mohler told the Star-Banner he returned home Friday night after picking up his daughter and was pulling into his driveway with his 16-year-old granddaughter and 12-year-old grandson when he saw a "bunch of cop cars" and "all the neighbors were outside."

Asked about the allegations, Mohler said if his brother or any family members are involved, then the authorities should "prosecute them."

The other men charged in the case are Mohler's brother, Burrell Edward Mohler Sr., 77, of Independence, and his four adult sons: Burrell Edward Mohler Jr., 53, of Independence; Jared Leroy Mohler, 48, of Columbia; Roland Neil Mohler, 47, of Bates City; and David A. Mohler, 52, of Lamoni, Iowa.

"I've no contact with him or his family," Darrel Mohler said about his brother and his extended family.

He said he and his brother "grew apart" and that aside from one of his nephews calling him every Christmas and birthday, "he has nothing to do with" his brother.

The probable cause statement against Darrel Mohler accuses him of raping two children between the ages of 5 and 9 at an abandoned house in Bates City, Mo

http://www.ocala.com/article/20091115/ARTICLES/911149970/1402/NEWS

So, LK states that he possibly was arrested for knowing one of the victims. Note that he says that he has NEVER met any of the Mohlers. This is the second time we've heard about an unrelated victim--the other is the little boy whose mother married into the family. Hmmm.

Southcitymom--This is slightly off topic but I wanted to comment about the civil suit against the private school you mentioned. I am not a greedy woman. However, my children are saddled with therapy needs they will never be able to meet as adults. They received federal assistance due to their special needs upon our adoption of them. They then received a limited amount of therapy (those who were deemed to be able to benefit from it). Now that they are all over 18, they receive nothing at all.

Our children were raped in the local school during school hours and in our neighbors' yard and in our own. I would have thought that the other parents or school would bear some culpability but this is not the case.

We've been counseled to seek legal representation over the years by every body from the AG on down the line. Guess what? No one will take our case. We've gone to the finest and best reviewed attorneys in Portland and SF and they'll spend a few hours with us and send us on our way. It seems that a school or a set of parents MUST have reason to believe that a juvenile could be a sexual threat before you can sue. We've been told that unless details come out that those facts can be proved, our children are out of luck. That has always surprised me and disappointed me. It also bowls me over that the other family has every tiny tidbit of info about our family and yet we are prohibited from ever knowing anything at all about the rapist's past--nothing at all.

The parents of the young man who raped our children own medical buildings which they used as collateral to defend their son. They also received tens of thousands of dollars in donations for the "wrongly accused". Where are the funds for our kids? I realize that we might not even have the strength or desire to fight yet again but we've never been given that opportunity.

When the rapist was convicted, he was assessed a $60 fine for each of the rapes against the children. He's never even paid that piddly little bit of money. When we got dragged into the Post-conviction trial--very much against our will--we were told by the AG not to worry. Well we needed to worry. She couldn't represent or protect our kids. It was her job to protect and defend the veracity of the conviction--which she did admirably. Our kids were all ordered to be deposed again and our medical, personal, school, and financial records (for the past 15 years) were subpoenaed 9 years after the trial. The supreme court issued a writ of mandamus prohibiting the release of these documents to the defense but it was too late. The 15,000 documents had already been released and we got charged for the copying of them. We've requested their return and have waited two years with no action. Our children were called as witnesses FOR the rapist to prove in a convoluted way that he did not receive a fair trial. I know it's almost unbelievable but we were reminded that the rapist had constitutional rights and we were compelled to comply with them. You all might think that I'm a reasonably "put-together" person but I fell apart on the witness stand. I cried and begged the judge to spare our children the agony of facing their rapist again. We dealt with two attempted suicides that week but were sternly told that those kids had better present themselves for the depositions. One had to be picked up at the psychiatric dept. of the hospital to go to his deposition. The depositions took place two days before Christmas and drug on for 14 hours. We were also reeling from the death of a grand-baby that month. We were advised to immediately hire an attorney ($10,000) which did nothing to prevent the depositions (and trauma and suicide attempts). This is when we got busy and changed Oregon law to prohibit this from ever happening again to another victim. You can actually read the changes to the Crime Victims Laws in the brochure produced last year. That was our kids' legacy. Something wonderful and strong did come from our children's pain.

So, for those who jump to conclusions (and I'm not commenting at all about your very lucid and important post), that victims automatically will "get the farm", it's not true. We gave up eleven years of our lives and lost most of our financial assets in fighting our case. I worry that the victims in this current case will also be left bereft and penniless. It's not fair but it's the way it is. I find it unacceptable when a victim refuses to testify but I do understand in my heart where they are coming from. Justice does not come cheap. I guess the moral of this story is to watch your children and prevent the abuse from happening in the first place. Our justice system is not child or family friendly.

Hey friend. Thanks for this post. I am truly sorry that you have been unable to find an attorney willing to take your case. In following a few civil cases regarding child molestation (mainly in the Southern states), I do agree with you that it is 100% untrue that people who are harmed automatically end up getting compensated financially.

In the case with my school, there was unassailable evidence that our upper school principal and our Headmaster (both of these men were close friends of my family as my Father worked at this school for years) had been told by a parent that this teacher had been inappropriate with their son and had then asked the teacher to leave, but the principal had then given the teacher a decent recommendation when he applied for a teaching position at an area public school. He of course sexually molested several other boys at this new school.

The upper school principal committed suicide the day before his deposition was to take place. My Headmaster passed away some years later. The school had/has a ton of money and so many of my classmates (sons of some of the most influential families in my city) were harmed - it swelled to huge proportions and the community was always supportive of the children who had been hurt.

Not all civil cases turn out like this one did. It is very tough to prove that an institution knew or should have known that something horrible would happen to a child in its care and failed to take proper precautions. Again, I am so sorry that you have yet to find an attorney who feels like he could make such a case.

ITA - I don't want to insult anyone who really didn't have a clue....BUT..SOMEONE had to of had a "feeling" if this was going on. C'mon, we're talking 10 years here. And I really do wonder about family traits going back generations...me and my ibs went thru a different kind of abuse and to this day we hold anger towards the adults who HAD to notice our behavior and kept silent. There, I said it.

go ahead-yell at me.

These things usually make far more sense in hind sight. Yeah, they may act weird, act out or be unusually quiet, have bad dreams, etc. Unless they tell, there is really no way of knowing. Most are terrified out of their minds.

My son was threatened that he if ever told, the perp would kill me, chop me up in little pieces and bury me in the back yard. He believed he was protecting me.

Children also believe a non offending parent should somehow just know. It's simply not true. After reading here, it seems many adults believe that as well.

Southcitymom--Thanks for sharing that story. It's heartening to know that, sometimes, the system really does work for the victims. We have to remind ourselves that we DID get ten full years of feeling safer. That's something.

I love my small town and many many of the educators here are my friends. I still believe, in my heart, that someone knew something, though. The rapist was moved to another school at one point due to "inappropriate behavior" (we've never been able to find out what that was). He often skipped school at the middle school and hung out at our elementary school (where his mother taught). He was enlisted to help the special needs children to keep him busy. He was even turned away from a preschool for being sexually inappropriate with staff at age four!! The problem in our case is that this young man and his older friend preyed on animals and special needs children--both vulnerable beyond measure. They just happened to work their way through our children until they got to a young man who wouldn't be quiet. A young man who had a voice and saved his siblings from further abuse.

Even though we've spoken to a number of respected law firms about our case (one handled our writ of mandamus pro bono), we've been cautioned that we need clear evidence proving that the school or parents were aware of a threat. We're waiting. It might come out some day. We've been told that if the rapist ever discloses about a family member or his older friend, we'd have a case.

We're not even sure we'd want to pursue a suit at this time. I do have to admit, though, that I have a fantasy of taking over one of the family's medical buildings to use as a treatment center for abused children and somehow incorporating rescued animals into the treatment plan. Hey, a girl can dream.

We KNOW of at least three other victims whose parents do not want them embroiled in the mess we've gone through. Can you really blame them? One victim died of a probable suicide.

I realize that, most likely, the victims in the Mohler case are not disabled. My hope is that they are strong young men and women who have steeled themselves for this fight. They are going to have to rely on the support of each other because I'm very afraid many of their family member might disown them.

The exposure of sexual abuse has a long history of creating fissures in families and communities as we've all seen so many many times.

Linda--I'm so so sorry your child had to hear that threat. I hope his treatment has helped him. As parents we somehow seem to experience guilt that our safety has been used as a threat. It's so onerous!! Once again, we see the same threats repeated over and over. Abusers do not re-invent the wheel.

As I've mentioned, the rapist who hurt our kids did the exact same thing. He threatened to hurt me, rape our older girls, and kill our pets. He did kill one kitty and maimed two others--all to prove that he would make good on those threats. Isn't it interesting that we seldom hear that fathers of victims are threatened when the abuse is extra-familial? The abuser tries to pick what are sensed to be weaker and more vulnerable targets IMO.

I'll never forget giving one of our sons a beautiful Victorinox knife (you know, the ones with the red handles) for his 16th birthday. This has been a tradition in our family. My husband is a contractor and believes that every human being (male and female) cannot live life without a Victorinox in their pocket. Even I carry a tiny purple one in my purse (always one to buck the system--plus it's great for snipping yarn ends while knitting!!).

Anyway, we proudly handed this young man the box, and he opened it. His eyes got really big and he burst out crying. He ran from the room and we all sat there shocked. When we caught up with him in his bedroom, he sobbed that the knife looked exactly like the one the rapist had used to threaten him with after he'd been raped. We were dumb-founded. He told us that seeing his Dad's and older siblings' knives occasionally never bothered him but he just couldn't imagine owning one or "touching one" himself. I've never felt more devastated.

We took him out the next day and let him pick out a new stereo. I've still got that particular knife sitting in my nightstand drawer...still in the box.

Does it bother anybody else that this man was out with his 11 year old daughter and 12 and 16 year old grandchildren when he was arrested (I didn't see a mention of his wife)? The whole thing strikes me as "off". I don't know if I'd be out alone with my children if I were a man whose brother and nephews had just been arrested for child rape. It's almost as if he's flaunting himself. That's how his comments come off too. I swear I never seem to see any mention of a mother or grandmother in these articles. Where are the women??
I want to know where the women are, too. I'd assume the media has attempted to contact them, but there's no mention even of a declined-to-comment. With the exception, of course, of David Mohler's wife being in shock.

Burrel "Eddie" Mohler, Jr's exwife, the one who warned the young boy's father of the incident in 2000, which was apparently reported, hasn't told her side of the story, as far as I know. This tells me that she's not doing this for revenge or the glory originally purported at the outbreak of this horrid tale.

These things usually make far more sense in hind sight. Yeah, they may act weird, act out or be unusually quiet, have bad dreams, etc. Unless they tell, there is really no way of knowing. Most are terrified out of their minds.

My son was threatened that he if ever told, the perp would kill me, chop me up in little pieces and bury me in the back yard. He believed he was protecting me.

Children also believe a non offending parent should somehow just know. It's simply not true. After reading here, it seems many adults believe that as well.

BBM

The adults who wonder how non-offending parent could not have known could very well be victims of abuse themselves -- especially when the offender was a family member or live-in boyfriend.

Believe me, adult survivors that I know cannot stop wondering about this.

How does a very small child, say 2-5yo, learn to mask what they're feeling and there not be some hint of something wrong going on in either the look in their eyes, physical problems (rashes in the wrong places, IYKIM), or behavior (withdrawn, quiet, etc).

Many believe the non-offending parent, especially a mother, should be able to see a problem.

Here's a clip from a comment on this page:

http://www.topix.net/forum/source/fox4kc/TNEE66V12OI55I28V

"i was shocked to realize that i went to church as a young girl with all of the Mohlers. Mr Mohler Sr was our Pastor at the RLDS Churgh in Platte Woods."

Didn't the church say emphatically that these men had not worked with children? Being a pastor puts you squarely in the realm of authority over a child IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez