MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
With LE briefing the public that they have no suspects, that makes me wonder the difference in their LE minds between a "suspect," "person of interest," etc.

I'm an attorney but not a criminal attorney. Can anyone with experience or professional knowledge explain to me what a cop would think those terms mean in practice? Not the textbook definitions but rather what LE would mean when they use those terms here.

Thanks in advance

IDK if this will help.

There's no DOJ policy, to my knowledge, against identifying a "person of interest." Yet the public is well-aware that "person of interest" is just a euphemism for "suspect." As a result, the use of this term, especially in high-profile cases, has already caused serious harm and is sure to do so again in the future. DOJ should expand its policy to encompass "person of interest" - not just "suspect" - designations - and state, city and local police should follow suit.
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/lazarus/20050526.html

This is really interesting, IMO. (And hopelessly out of style, unfortunately.)

Officially, "person of interest" means..well, nothing. No one has ever formally defined it — not police, not prosecutors, not journalists. The terms "accused," "allege," "arrest" and "indict" all are dealt with in the Associated Press Stylebook, but there is no listing for "person of interest." Similarly, the U.S. Attorneys' Manual — the official guide to federal criminal prosecution — uses the terms "suspect," "subject," "target" and "material witness," but "person of interest" gets no mention. So what are reporters to do?
http://ajrarchive.org/Article.asp?id=4042

I don't know how to link from my iPhone, but CNN has an article quoting Champion as saying an accelerant was used.

This is from CNN article:

Champion already has said investigators are treating the case as an arson, and an accelerant was used in the blaze. Three special agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Atlanta were in Courtland on Friday morning looking for clues at the crime scene.

Earlier in these threads, maybe even this one, this idea was approached.

If that the case of a car malfunction, it does not explain the phone that had the battery taken out, and the use of accelerant in the car.

FWIW, I can't find any MSM on NTSB being involved with the case thus far. Doesn't mean they aren't there. I also wish a verified local would chime in on the thread. A breath of air in this case would give me some hope!

It also doesn't explain the gash on her head that shows she was struck with an object imo.

I think whoever did this thought they had killed her by hitting her in the head first and then they placed her in the car and set fire to her and the vehicle to cover up evidence.

I don't know how to link from my iPhone, but CNN has an article quoting Champion as saying an accelerant was used.

This is from CNN article:

Champion already has said investigators are treating the case as an arson, and an accelerant was used in the blaze. Three special agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Atlanta were in Courtland on Friday morning looking for clues at the crime scene.

GOOD. Then it is definitely ARSON. And the arsonist(s) is/are definitely responsible for Jessica's death. JMO

With respect, CNN has become the National Enquirer of TV lately.

Is Top conservative news a reputable site?

Though authorities are releasing sparse details of the crime and investigation, they have determined an accelerant was used in the blaze, but it's not clear whether the accelerant was poured on the car or Chambers herself, Champion said.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/10/us/mississippi-girl-burns-to-death/

I think an accelerant being used and the fact that they feel very strongly that someone was with her is what is steering them down the murder path as opposed to the accident path.

In reference to Charlotte Wilkerson's interview:
"when they left the party" that's huge! Charlotte Wilkerson knows who "they" are. Also, interesting how she phrases the murder. "that's when it happened to her". Not, that's when she was killed or they killed her, or that's when she was set on fire. Sounds like my kids, "it got broken" instead of "I broke it".

Great point! The use of passive voice can be an indication of wanting to distance oneself from something (or aid in telling the "truth" by omission).

Did anyone notice that in Charlotte Wilkerson's mugshot (released 12/09), she is wearing a blue and white striped top?? Is she the person filling the gas can in the video...the person that police "cleared"? Seems fishy, JMO.

Thanks! As an aside, it helped maybe that my friend was about 30 when she willingly entered. Recovery is lifelong - I've numerous friends who swear by AA + attend meetings regularly. It's encouraging!

Sorry to be a bit off-topic there! Back to Jessica:

I think even if LE has a fairly good idea of who did this, if they have any good help + know what they're doing, they're going to be very, very careful in their approach. And they would be wise to. If even a fraction of any of the rampant rumors are true, who knows what other criminal activity could be uncovered in the process of this investigation.

From ABC News:
"Police are still digging through her phone records and witness statements, Panola County Assistant District Attorney Jay Hale told WAPT.

"We're still looking into certain individuals," Hale told the station. "We've talked to numerous individuals who could potentially become suspects."

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-cal...sissippi-woman-burned-death/story?id=27534305

Remember Skylar Neese's case? If not - a simple search will show you details, but LE had their eyes on some of her friends for considerable time before they set things up just so to have an airtight case.

If the point is Justice for Jessica, better to have a bit more time + get it right.

Remember Holly Bobo's case? The TBI/FBI/BAU2/BATF/US Marshalls/Homeland Security, etc., focused on many POIs & Suspects, yet didn't have a clue for over three years due to perceived hypothesis and ignoring the tragic consequences to families and communities due to the out of control meth epidemic, imo..

"Bring Her Home" (Holly Bobo)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0BkJQM-ZPY

The Disappearance of Holly Bobo 04/13/2011
http://www.wsmv.com/category/217869/search-for-holly-bobo

Burned body found in Franklin County identified
July 3rd, 2012

Franklin County authorities have released the identity of the woman whose body was found burning on the side of Awalt Road northwest of Winchester, Tenn., by a passing motorist early Monday.

The body was identified as that of Erika Megan Sharpton, 24, of 109 Camellia Circle, Tullahoma, Tenn.
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/...burned-body-franklin-county-identified/81671/

Websleuths - Holly Bobo found deceased, discussion thread *Arrests* #6
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...hread-*Arrests*-6/page16&highlight=holly+bobo

Missing Tennessee Nursing Student`s Body Found

Aired July 23, 2012 - 20:00 ET

THIS IS A RUSH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

RITA COSBY, GUEST HOST: And everybody, I`m Rita Cosby. Breaking news tonight, as we go live to Tims Ford Lake, Tennessee. A beautiful nursing student makes plans to visit her mother on a Sunday afternoon, but she never makes it. Just hours later, a driver spots a grass fire near a local bridge and gets the shock of a lifetime, the body of a young female dumped on the side of the road, up in flames.

A positive ID confirms it`s nursing student 24-year-old Megan Sharpton. The murder mystery thickens when it`s revealed Megan dies from blunt force trauma to the head. And a red Ford Mustang is found abandoned 16 miles away. Who murdered 24-year-old Megan Sharpton?

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Authorities were called here to put out the fire, but quickly found Sharpton`s body and evidence of trauma to her head.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: The victim`s car found abandoned later that day.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Hopes (ph) for clues in the death of Megan Sharpton are her car and her partially charred corpse.

<Websleuths archived Megan Sharpton Thread>
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-177602.html

It also doesn't explain the gash on her head that shows she was struck with an object imo.

I think whoever did this thought they had killed her by hitting her in the head first and then they placed her in the car and set fire to her and the vehicle to cover up evidence.

And came equipped with an accelerant of some sort.....or had "friend(s) nearby with accelerant. JMO

What is scary is that if the fire should be determined to be "accidental" and not arson, then her manner of death may not be determined to be "homicide". (Unless the head gash could be determined to be the result of an assault.) Maybe the autopsy report is on hold, waiting for results of the fire investigation......I'm hopeful that the arson investigation is being done by ATF and NOT locals. JMO

The arson investigation is being conducted by ATF. Imo, they already know if this was a purposefully set fire using an accelerant.

They investigate many fires like this. They will be able to determine where the hot spots were outside and inside the vehicle. Meaning they will know where the accelerant was doused and what areas it wasn't. Hot spot areas look different than other parts of the vehicle that burned.

This will not be suicide nor an accident. IMO

It seems very early on LE knew this was a murder.

IMO

Did her car hit the pine tree that has scorch marks on it?

I don't understand why there is only one person coming forward saying that she was seen at the party.
How could only one person see her there?
Isn't making any sense to me

The arson investigation is being conducted by ATF. Imo, they already know if this was a purposefully set fire using an accelerant.

They investigate many fires like this. They will be able to determine where the hot spots were outside and inside the vehicle. Meaning they will know where the accelerant was doused and what areas it wasn't. Hot spot areas look different than other parts of the vehicle that burned.

This will not be suicide nor an accident. IMO

It seems very early on LE knew this was a murder.

IMO

I agree. I would be shocked if this were an accident. Someone had mentioned earlier that the keys were in the ignition and that the emergency brake was set. Was this rumor or confirmed by LE? I don't recall at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daisy82504