MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On a previous thread I linked to an article that reported that it was the 911 caller who saw Jessica walking and on fire. It was not the first responders. I'm sorry I don't have the link handy but I will look for it. I'll update this post with an edit if I find it. Now, if there was an update to that info. that proves otherwise, then I may have missed it. But, it was reported it was the 911 caller.

It was the caller who informed dispatch. First responders found her laying near her car.

What troubled me about the person on fire "walking around" was what happened to: Stop. Drop. And roll? Given the human's strong innate desire to live, why would Jessica be walking while on fire? I am not all that familiar with fires so maybe the accelerant could not be extinguished by the stop, drop and roll routine.

For goodness sake, this sweet, young lady suffered immeasurably. And her father does not seem all that angry although he did make the remark, and I'm paraphrasing here, that he would talk to someone who could make the perps life in prison a living hell.

omho

It's the same way in Mississippi-if both parties are scratched, banged up-off to jail they go.

Funny how you mentioned that we as a society have moved past glorifying vigilante justice, yet daily I see nothing but glorification of gangsta behavior in film, music, clothing, and even speech. Maybe we'll move past that soon too.

Yes, I might agree with you about 'gangsta violence'. Mind you, the main audience, and hence the main raison d'etre, for gangsta rap is white suburban teens and young adults. For what it's worth, this is by no means a new sentiment in popular culture, nor is it is limited to any particular demographic cleavage: country music has glorified violence (often against women or authority figures) for decades. So too with 'pirate music'; I took voice lessons for a few years, and my teacher really loved western and pirate songs, which often had themes of violence and pillaging, laughed off as they were then, perhaps because they were just weird fantasies of power.

Yes, I might agree with you about 'gangsta violence'. Mind you, the main audience, and hence the main raison d'etre, for gangsta rap is white suburban teens and young adults. For what it's worth, this is by no means a new sentiment in popular culture, nor is it is limited to any particular demographic cleavage: country music has glorified violence (often against women or authority figures) for decades. So too with 'pirate music'; I took voice lessons for a few years, and my teacher really loved western and pirate songs, which often had themes of violence and pillaging, laughed off as they were then, perhaps because they were just weird fantasies of power.

Can't disagree with a word you said in this post. The idea of going in for voice lessons and being subjected to pirate and cowboy music had me in stitches too. Going to respectfully abandon this before it gets way off topic. :laughing:

Y'ALL ARE SO VERBOSE.

And it's good! :) I'm just whining because I had mega-work for a solid day + a half a couple days ago and have been s l o w l y catching up through the threads + just got to this one...

In the meantime, I was thinking + being curious + all as we are wont to do on here + the Internet in general... and discovered this:
Panola County Mississippi - Batesville Fire Dispatch: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1450

If 911 calls in Mississippi are indeed confidential, is that simply after the fact? If people are listening in on scanners etc., how would that apply? Hm...

On to point#4…Conversation with AA…this may take some time to compose.

Wow GM, thank you for taking the time to write all of that up. :tyou: :goodpost:

One more ous to describe yourself with, perspicacious. You read him exactly like I've been reading him. I hope it wasn't just a show for your benefit. I really want to believe this kid is just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I understand what you're saying, but I am glad that civil society has moved past glorifying those who act as judge, jury, and executioner. I've acted rashly to avenge wrongs in the past, but out of the heat of the moment I can't defend it, and I don't believe that our social contract permits the defense of 'being so mad that I couldn't help myself' any longer.

There is no social contract. Life on this spinning orb of clay and water is just a day by day adventure of hoping some waste of air doesn't kill you for the $3 bucks you have in your front pocket. If there were a social contract, little kids in this America wouldn't be raped and killed. If there were a social contract, people would be at the very least, RESPECTFUL to each other. If there were a social contract, old people wouldn't sit alone, dogs wouldn't be chained to trees in the back yard of some @$$wipe that beats it and whole families wouldn't spend nights in violence intervention shelters.

If there was a social contract I wouldn't be seeing the gang signs on social media that I see.

If there were a social contract, veterans wouldn't be left to die on the streets homeless and without the medical and psychiatric care they need to honor the life they gave protecting and serving this country.

IF THERE WERE a social contract, a 19 year old girl wouldn't have been lit on fire and left to die of her injuries. No, I would say after what I've experienced so far here on earth, there is no social contract.

(And as I live and breathe, if someone harms my child I would write my own social contract.)

Y'ALL ARE SO VERBOSE.

And it's good! :) I'm just whining because I had mega-work for a solid day + a half a couple days ago and have been s l o w l y catching up through the threads + just got to this one...

In the meantime, I was thinking + being curious + all as we are wont to do on here + the Internet in general... and discovered this:
Panola County Mississippi - Batesville Fire Dispatch: http://www.broadcastify.com/listen/ctid/1450

If 911 calls in Mississippi are indeed confidential, is that simply after the fact? If people are listening in on scanners etc., how would that apply? Hm...

I think most 911 stuff is digitally trunked now. It goes from terminal to terminal, never really over the air. You might hear the dispatch to the scene, but you'd never hear the call that way.

Thank you very much, GrayMatter. You're great to care enough to do this and take the time and effort to share it so succinctly. Wish you well.

I think most 911 stuff is digitally trunked now. It goes from terminal to terminal, never really over the air. You might hear the dispatch to the scene, but you'd never hear the call that way.

Not sure what digitally trunked means. But I'm not sure all communities have this, my hometown still had all the chatter. Back in 2013 at my home in Michigan, there were a bunch of sirens one eve. I had an ominous premonition (I get these-its weird sometimes). I looked at my girls and said, "Do you think Sean's house is on fire?" I felt compelled to load the scanner app at that moment, and all the chatter was there. Yes, among the hundreds of houses in the neighborhood it was the house of my daughters good friend. I was the first to notify them that their house was on fire by texting them. these things happen to me all the time.

I'm super-confused. I had a female pen pal from Jerusalem through my church as a teen. :thinking:

I know because I have yet to hear one person interviewed say an unkind word about her. She was arrested twice. Both times were assaults. If I had to live in that hellhole, I probably would have become a fighter to survive, too.

Her own Daddy was a meth cooker. Her older brother was arrested for cooking meth. Jessica had no decent role model. She lived with her boyfriend, who's already been arrested in Iowa, and his mother for two years. Jessica had no home. She had no support. She was alone. Jessica was beat about the head, had lighter fluid poured on her and she burned until she died. Jessica died alone. Even though her mom and sister were there, she was in a drug induced coma.

She was tough. Bless her heart. :( ♥ Should have never had to die. IMO

I know because I have yet to hear one person interviewed say an unkind word about her. She was arrested twice. Both times were assaults. If I had to live in that hellhole, I probably would have become a fighter to survive, too.

Her own Daddy was a meth cooker. Her older brother was arrested for cooking meth. Jessica had no decent role model. She lived with her boyfriend, who's already been arrested in Iowa, and his mother for two years. Jessica had no home. She had no support. She was alone. Jessica was beat about the head, had lighter fluid poured on her and she burned until she died. Jessica died alone. Even though her mom and sister were there, she was in a drug induced coma.

Terribly sad. RIP Jessica.

Okay. Finally all caught up! Loads to weigh in on but going to have to rejoin the ongoing conversation in earnest after some sleep. A few quick things, though...

The Good + Funny:
- GrayMatter, I so enjoyed reading your account of your observations. Thank you for indulging your own curiosity (and ours) and sharing your perspective!
- Flatfootjoe, you are a gem - for your serious, thoughtful input + your quick wit.
- Everyone's input on the varied degrees of personal naiveté (or total lack thereof) in encountering drug paraphernalia in gas station stores throughout the country was hysterical. :)

The Practical:
- I've been thinking as I've gone along catching up tonight that I'd like to draft up a post of collected facts - there is so much speculation in this case... and so much "I heard this/I heard that" conflicting information that it'd be nice to have it sorted out a bit more clearly (with sources attributed). Kind of like the media thread, but with distilled info. I realize this could be tricky. But some things CAN be verified (i.e. Jessica was a graduate of X high school; Fire Chief Cole Haley is X years old; Ben Chambers is employed as X at Y, etc.) and it could help cut down on confusion and also possibly provide a good introduction for those joining the conversation. Something to consider, maybe.

The Wait-Did-We-Even-Consider-This-Yet:
- Something's been bothering me a whole lot about this apparent disconnect between the talk that Jessica was able to say something incriminating to first responders vs. the reality that there have been zero arrests or named suspects yet and it's been two weeks. Jessica's mother has been quoted as saying "Lisa Chambers said Wednesday her daughter was able to give law enforcement "a few names" before her death."
(http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story/news/crime/2014/12/10/jessica-chambers-last-hours/20226035/ for the Clarion Ledger)

It's possible Jessica knew her attacker(s), but couldn't identify them - i.e., they were wearing masks (I know, horrifying) and/or they were people she trusted and was actually attempting to name people who might have been behind this, without actually being certain herself of who precisely was involved. Which would make things very confusing, to say the least.

The Let's-Remember-This:
"I feel like it's something we're going to solve," Champion said.

Heck effing yeah. The folks milling about in + around Courtland, bless them, may be into all sorts of questionable behavior (and some may not). But for crying out loud, this isn't exactly a community full of brilliant, deviant minds hatching perfect criminal plots. I don't know *where* you would actually find such a community, anyway.

There sure are some clever people all over, but mark my words: Whoever is responsible for this is no genius, no criminal mastermind. Somewhere along the way this person (or these people) did not execute this perfectly. Whether it's trace physical evidence or leaked info to investigators - the mistakes will very likely out them.

His home country is America. No one said he was a terrorist. There were no accusations of terrorism. Not here. WS'ers know better than that!

Yes there were accusations of being a terrorist, he told me so. He said, "People been calling me a terrorist."
As for the "Home Country" comment: I stand corrected. I should have said his "heritage" country to be accurate since I did not ask him if he was born here or in Yemin, I felt it would be rude. He did talk about his image among his Mid East friends.

...eesh, the recent back + forth? Everyone, please breathe. :) And please all keep contributing!!

Tattoo'ing (spell) is no longer consider counterculture quite mainstream/pop culture in this day and age. You keep hinting at the murderer but wont spill it. A fisherman/woman who runs a tattoo parlor and or woman who has kids going thru a divorce early Dec. who changed their hair color doesn't pass TOS here. Get verified as an insider please. JMO IMO MOO

The closest tattoo parlor I can find is in Senatobia, MS or Oxford, MS.

https://search.yahoo.com/local/s;_y...Batesville,+MS+38606&fr=yhs-visicom-lavasoft1

I am not certain I understand why you were so demanding of anonone who just so happens to be a newbie.

How far is it from your house to Courtland?

One hour and nineteen minutes according to my GPS. I take Walnut Grove to 240 West to 55 South and once I get past Whitehaven and into MS I cruise at about 77mph and BAM I am there. I think Courtland was exit 237 IIRC take that to the West hit a T road (why 51) south goes to Pope North goes to Courtland. Soon there is a sign pointing west that says Courtland (I think it might have been main street-I don't remember) next thing I know I am in front of the Courtland Fire House.

Well..I don't know about down there.
But I live in NY & my husband just hit an 8 point buck with our brand new truck last week
It did $11,000 in damages...

YIKES!!!! OMG is he okay?? :( My father would ask if you kept the antlers (sorry) Hope your hubby is okay.

I probably didn't spell that right but it does have the emergency calls listed for access for premium members and shows 12/07 as well. I am not premium member so I can't access them but perhaps someone here is a premium and can check them out.

Emergency telephone calls in Mississippi are confidential outside a court order or subpoena. The public will not hear the call until trial.

"All emergency telephone calls and telephone call transmissions received pursuant to Section 19-5-301 et seq., and all recordings of the emergency telephone calls, shall remain confidential and shall be used only for the purposes as may be needed for law enforcement, fire, medical rescue or other emergency services. These recordings shall not be released to any other parties without court order or subpoena from a court of competent jurisdiction." Miss. Code §19-5-319(2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18