MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be more inclined to believe mobile meth lab gone wrong than a suicide or car accident (um, one that is not due to said hypothetical mobile meth lab)...

As for autopsies - yes, they can take some time... but what about death certificate? There is typically a section called "Manner of Death" and the options are Natural, Accident, Suicide, Homicide, Undetermined, or Pending. We know that the cause of death according to the County Coroner was "thermal injuries," but was the recorded manner given? (Note: I can see how "Pending" would be a wise choice given the circumstances, but I wonder if "Homicide" was conclusively checked.)

If it was a meth lab, there would have been all kinds of haz mat precautions taken by firefighters and LE around that car. The DEA, not the ATF, would be involved. The scenarios of meth lab and suicide both imply Jessica was responsible for her death and I don't buy either one.

JMO

If it was a meth lab, there would have been all kinds of haz mat precautions taken by firefighters and LE around that car. The DEA, not the ATF, would be involved. The scenarios of meth lab and suicide both imply Jessica was responsible for her death and I don't buy either one.

JMO

The car was fully involved when the Fire Dept. arrived according to the fire chief. Everything would have been destroyed so there would have been no indication during the fire that it was a meth lab- that info would only be discovered through forensics, IMO. The pictures of the car show it was only a shell.

"They are unlikely to even have basic lab tests back so soon"

please name some basic lab tests used in criminal investigations like this one that take over a month to get results from thank you.

It's not that the tests themselves necessarily take so long, but most labs have a caseload that doesn't allow them to turn out results the way they do on crime shows.

Also, if a single piece of evidence, like maybe the cell phone or something in the car, requires testing in multiple areas -- such as for trace DNA, fingerprints, accellerant, blood -- the tests have to be done separately and in a certain order. For instance, fingerprint testing usually has to be done last because the powder they use will interfere with many other results.

Plus the holidays and people taking time off likely slowed down some processes.

Maybe not. Maybe they put Jessica's case on highest priority and worked around the clock, and are sitting on the results.

it would not be slander unless you said publicly what exactly the chief knows, and that info would have to incriminate him or insinuate that he is interfering with an investigation. it is within his right, and probably job dutiy, to keep any knowledge he has confidential. even if he knows who the killer is and you tell the world that he knows, in his position, it's not slander bc it should be his duty to maintain confidentiality. telling people that he knows what or who did what does not damage his rep. (unless you're saying that he's hiding info and hindering the investigation).

Of course, & thank you. ;)

The car was fully involved when the Fire Dept. arrived according to the fire chief. Everything would have been destroyed so there would have been no indication during the fire that it was a meth lab- that info would only be discovered through forensics, IMO. The pictures of the car show it was only a shell.

A burning meth lab has toxic fumes.

The police said it was a homicide:
"The death of a 19-year-old Panola County, Mississippi woman who was found badly burned on a road near her burning car Saturday is being investigated as a homicide, and police are searching for her killer."
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/jessica...pect-who-fatally-lit-mississippi-teen-aflame/
BBM They will investigate it as a homicide, but that doesn't rule out in the end it being a suicide. If there is no note or indication from the victim, they have to take everything into consideration to make a determination. However, the media isn't quoting LE anywhere in that article that I could find.

If it was an accident, there should be some explanation why she was on that particular road, as it doesn't seem to lead anywhere particular. And if it was a suicide, why would she have first stopped by a party, per CW? Also, I don't see why LE would go about investigating it as a homicide, given the cost of doing so and the federal investigators that have come to Panola County.

The only thing that makes me not rule out suicide is the duration of the phone call with her mother. IDK what to make of that. It seems excessive, unless something else was going on.

Re: her giving a name to the fire chief: Maybe the name wasn't as clear as he or the press makes it out to be, given the extent of her injury. She may have been trying to ID who did it but couldn't get the name out clearly enough. Just a thought ...
No one has confirmed she ever went to a "party".

The FBI is often called in on cases to assist by using their lab and other resources for small departments. They did not take over this case and become the lead agency. The ATF was called in to help because of their expertise in determining fire related cases.

The extended call to her mother is particularly interesting since she was only going for a short time.

BBM They will investigate it as a homicide, but that doesn't rule out in the end it being a suicide. If there is no note or indication from the victim, they have to take everything into consideration to make a determination. However, the media isn't quoting LE anywhere in that article that I could find.

No, it doesn't, but the circumstances are certainly suspicious. It would be foolhardy to assume this was NOT a homicide without an investigation. So far, it appears that homicide is the manner of death based on what the public has been told about the ongoing investigation.

SeriouslySearching - Earlier today, you wrote "Many components of this case could be explained by suicide." I really, really am interested in your thinking on the suicide angle... mostly because I haven't come to that conclusion, but am all ears to try and understand a different one, especially in the context of the same case. Can you elaborate on it?

I cant get behind the suicide theory. Had several female friends and female family members commit suicide. I really hate putting it this way but, they didn't value their lives but the still highly valued their face.

Rolling Meth Lab;
IIRC there was damage to the right rear quarter panel of her car. If she was transporting a "shake and bake" and was accidently rear ended an explosion could occur, causing her to run off the road and crash.

sbm

The damage to the rear of the car has already been explained by LE, saying it was damage from trying to get into the trunk. I don't have the link right now, but it's earlier in this thread (or the previous thread).

No, it doesn't, but the circumstances are certainly suspicious. It would be foolhardy to assume this was NOT a homicide without an investigation. So far, it appears that homicide is the manner of death based on what the public has been told about the ongoing investigation.

SeriouslySearching - Earlier today, you wrote "Many components of this case could be explained by suicide." I really, really am interested in your thinking on the suicide angle... mostly because I haven't come to that conclusion, but am all ears to try and understand a different one, especially in the context of the same case. Can you elaborate on it?
The reason I even brought it up was because I knew a woman who did commit suicide by fire. It was a lesson I didn't want to learn.

The parking brake was on and the car was not crashed indicating she parked there on purpose. She purchased more gasoline than normal which could be she thought the vehicle would burn faster. The blunt force trauma to her head could have come from the concussion of the explosive force of lighting the liquid accelerant. The phone could have been in her hand and blown out the window when she lit the fire. It could have broken apart when it landed or she could have thrown it prior to starting the fire. She could have gotten out of the car in an attempt to save herself or because the pain was so overwhelming.

Her past and wanting to memorialize her life by writing a book is another thing I looked at when going over this case. No matter how much she changed, she had to live with everything in her past and the reminders were everywhere, imo. If even a small part of what her ex-bf had to say in his radio interview was true, she had lived through some of the most horrific things imaginable. We will never know the extent of what this young girl had to endure in her life and we cannot know her deepest thoughts right before this happened.

Let's add the 20 minute phone call to her mother to this list. It was unusual because she was only to be gone a short while.

I also want to add she could have been with someone in her car prior to the fire. Who knows if the person was adding to her agony and only made her more determined to end it?

No one has confirmed she ever went to a "party".

The FBI is often called in on cases to assist by using their lab and other resources for small departments. They did not take over this case and become the lead agency. The ATF was called in to help because of their expertise in determining fire related cases.

The extended call to her mother is particularly interesting since she was only going for a short time.

The FBI doesn't have jurisdiction to take the case over at this point.

I was thinking more along the lines of William Faulkner's Yoknapatawpha County, Mississippi.

Wasn't that based on Oxford? Grisham used to live right up Hwy 51. Don't know if he's still there but this case has to be on his radar. There are some classic elements, for sure.

The reason I even brought it up was because I knew a woman who did commit suicide by fire. It was a lesson I didn't want to learn.

The parking brake was on and the car was not crashed indicating she parked there on purpose. She purchased more gasoline than normal which could be she thought the vehicle would burn faster. The blunt force trauma to her head could have come from the concussion of the explosive force of lighting the liquid accelerant. The phone could have been in her hand and blown out the window when she lit the fire. It could have broken apart when it landed or she could have thrown it prior to starting the fire. She could have gotten out of the car in an attempt to save herself or because the pain was so overwhelming.

Her past and wanting to memorialize her life by writing a book is another thing I looked at when going over this case. No matter how much she changed, she had to live with everything in her past and the reminders were everywhere, imo. If even a small part of what her ex-bf had to say in his radio interview was true, she had lived through some of the most horrific things imaginable. We will never know the extent of what this young girl had to endure in her life and we cannot know her deepest thoughts right before this happened.

Let's add the 20 minute phone call to her mother to this list. It was unusual because she was only to be gone a short while.

I also want to add she could have been with someone in her car prior to the fire. Who knows if the person was adding to her agony and only made her more determined to end it?

I'm sorry about your friend.

A guy I knew in college chose to end his life through immolation. I don't know why he chose that path.

I kind of don't think Jessica did, but I don't want to rule it out, either.

Suicide is tragic enough, but to do so by fire - that strikes me (and I think most people) as a horrible, terrible, awful way to die. I am really sad to hear that someone you knew was hurting so badly that she chose to end her life like that. :-(

It is also a relatively rare way to do so, in general but particularly among females in the U.S. The CDC as well as the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention have data that backs this up. The most common methods for both genders combined are firearms, poison (overdose), and suffocation (including hanging). The remaining "Other" is just under 8% of all methods - and that is for men and women alike. I can split this further, but the point is it's not impossible, but not a popular means at all - so much so that when we hear about it, it's even more shocking.

And now I'm going to walk through the suicide scenario as you're presenting it and point out where parts of it are either implausible or require a stretch of the imagination.

All of this is indeed possible. The facts of the case as we know them at this point DO allow for this scenario. But your description supposes a number of things that, each on its own, could well have happened, but what is the reasonable likelihood of ALL of them happening versus foul play?

If we accept that Jessica chose to commit suicide this way, then we assume that okay, she filled her gas tank more than usual around 6:30pm, possibly thinking her car would burn faster that way. But some point AFTER that yet BEFORE 8:15pm, she speaks with her mother on the phone for about 20 minutes. (We don't know what that conversation was about, but we have not heard any indication that she was upset or saying goodbye or anything of the sort to indicate she was off to kill herself - but she's already bought that extra gas at this point, right?)

Furthermore: at some point (and not AT the gas station, at least based on CCTV footage), Jessica then puts a flammable liquid on herself and the interior of her car. This could have happened before or after she drove herself to that location and purposely parked the car there. Then, she ignites the fire - a match? a lighter? - and there is an explosive force that occurs as the fire catches. It is so strong that Jessica hits her head and even if we assume she took her seatbelt off - this could have happened... on the ceiling of her car, or on the side or window of her car, or on the steering wheel. That's all I can think of.

Lighting a fire with one hand while holding your phone with another is... tricky, but not impossible. Lighting a fire with one hand, holding your phone in the other, and immediately thereafter simultaneously hitting your head so hard to produce a visible injury as your phone then flies out the window only to come apart with battery separate from the body of the phone is... dang.

We also have to assume her window was either open or that it was blown out by the fire at the same time for the phone to fly out without such severe damage to the phone itself (it was identifiable and recoverable, with evidence obtained from it).

Her phone can't well fly out of the car, though, if her door is closed and her window is up.

She could have, yes, as you said - thrown it out of the window prior to lighting the fire. This seems more physically likely. Depending on what kind of phone she had, separating the battery from the phone itself could have been easily managed in a throw or more complex and required her to disassemble it before throwing.

Lastly, she exits the car on her own volition, suddenly trying to save herself or perhaps because the pain is more than she'd bargained for and she wants to minimize it. Firefighters arrive not long thereafter.

Hello :) First post, I've been meaning to jump in forever, now's the time.

"Any time you try a decent crime, you got fifty ways you're gonna ____ up. If you think of twenty-five of them, then you're a genius... and you ain't no genius." -Body Heat, 1981

::FingersCrossed::

And this is why I have no problem (even though I'm dying to know) with LE not releasing specific information to the public. As frustrating as that is (arghhh!), I understand, appreciate and respect that they need to 'get all their ducks in a row' and make sure an indictment and subsequent trial is as airtight as possible. I just would hate to see another circus like oj simpson, casey anthony verdict or jodi arias freak show. Am I allowed to reference previous cases if it's my opinion? I don't want to run afoul or cause problems :/ especially with my first posting.
====================================================
These are just my thoughts and opinions, and the older I get, the stronger they get!

It's so easy for some to assume LE isn't progressing as well or as quickly as we think it should, but most of us don't know all that goes on and we shouldn't because if we know, the not-yet-arrested bad guys/girls also know and then have an advantage.

Alternatively, let me put it like this:

I'm Jessica, and I'm in a ton of pain. I've just suffered serious burns nearly all over my body, and my car is being consumed by flames. My phone? I had it not too long ago, because I talked to my mother within the last 90 minutes. It's around here somewhere, but when it's eventually found, it won't have been melted - and the battery will be separate from the phone itself. Is it because I threw it or disassembled it myself, or because someone else did? And this awful situation I'm in now - is it because I did this to myself, or is it because someone else did it to me?

Yeah, I've been through a LOT of tough stuff. I'm not alone in that, though - I know a lot of people here in Courtland and a lot of them know me - and I know that people here go through tough stuff, too. I spent some time not too long ago in safe refuge for women who've gone through some difficult things, so I'm aware that bad stuff happens. But I guess I've been doing a little better, lately - I got a job at a department store, and I met an author whose book about hope + second chances inspired me to write a book about my own life, maybe.

Okay, so I took a bit of liberty there. But just a bit. And it's true we do not necessarily know Jessica's mindset that evening. But there's an awful lot to suggest she did NOT do this to herself, and a whole lot more to suggest someone else did this to her.

My two cents...maybe three. :-) And now I'm making a cup of tea + will shush for a little while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18