MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.clarionledger.com/videos/news/2015/02/13/23327213/

My own opinion in regards to the previous post quoted above: Mom had control/authority issues when it came to Jessica and it's obvious Mom knew how to manipulate JC. There was a reason JC did not confide in mom or look to her for safety and security.

Okay, that's a bit harsh sounding, but it IS the complete flip side of the above quoted last paragraph.

And we can also consider her trip out that night in this way: maybe it was her mother who 'sent' JC out to buy her some cigarettes, even though JC was scared of some bad people, according to her mom. It could be that, in a struggle over who controlled whom, it was JC that added washing her car to the trip, just to buy herself some time away and gain a sense of control over her own life. In the video footage from M&M, she didn't look much in a mood for partying, washing her car, or hobnobbing with ANY of the M&M clientele, AA and SR included. Yet she knew them all fairly well.

The phone call from LD to JC, in her mother's own words, had Mom say "where'd you go to wash (she used "wash") your car, Memphis? You were supposed to come right back".

The tone and sarcastic words somewhat imply that a 'disagreement' was going on between them during that phone call. I didn't hear "are you okay sweetheart? I've been worried about you being out so long, is anything wrong?". I would think, given the tone of the conversation, that LD asked JC where exactly she had spent that missing time up to that point. Maybe JC didn't answer? Maybe LD has been asked not to reveal that answer?

In any case, I gather mom wasn't too concerned in that moment about bad peeps out to get JC for snitching. Of course, LD couldn't have guessed that the next call to her would be a report that bad peeps had indeed fatally harmed her daughter.

I believe Leah's House was a very validating experience for JC and she did not get that validation everywhere. JC'S fears did not end when she left Leah's House, is what I'm understanding LD to say. I have a hard time watching this last video. It makes me feel even worse for JC.

BBM. While I respect your right to your opinion, there is no basis for it. To even suggest Jessica didn't look to her mom for "safety and security" is an incredibly cruel thing to say.

JMO

If you have questions about moderation please PM your moderators. Do not discuss on the thread. It takes away from the topic.

Your moderators working with this thread are: fran, bessie, LambChop.

Thank you very much for your participation. This is a frustrating case where emotions run high. I appreciate you staying within our terms of service when posting.

Take Care,
Tricia

BBM...I have long thought that perhaps that phone call between Jessica and her mom was perhaps a disagreement or argument about something, because every time I have heard LD reference the call, she always points out that the last thing Jessica said was "I love you mama", almost as if easing any guilt she may have that her last phone call with her daughter was not a pleasant one. This is only my speculation and opinion.

In reply to the previous poster who said nobody can force a 19-year old to live with a parent, I would only say this. True to a point, but sometimes CIRCUMSTANCES can force a 19-year old to live with a parent. I know of several examples in my real life. Jessica had just begun a job recently, and it was possibly a part-time job. I doubt that she had any money saved up, and apartments and housing costs money. I don't know if she had any regular bills, but it is very easy to believe that she couldn't afford a place of her own, and if she was truly starting a new life, I doubt she would have wanted to be roommates with any of her old crowd of friends. JMO

BBM. My point was about the speculation that Jessica did not feel safe or secure at her mother's home or that she and her mother were not getting along. If that was truly the situation, then she wouldn't have returned to her Mother's home after Leah's House. There is nothing to support this speculation. If a 19-year-old isn't happy living with a parent, they will seek alternatives. Jessica had other family and friends in the area.

JMO

This is directly from Leah's House website http://www.rachelssister.com

"Our ministry helps women ages 18 and over who have been incarcerated, deal with addictions, behavioral problems, self-harm, depression, and others. It is our goal to provide a comprehensive, Biblical..."

While I'm fairly certain that any and all issues would be dealt with via therapy and interaction with others who have similar experience while living at Leah's House, it is not a shelter for abused women, a halfway house, a rehab house, a sober living house, etc. although you do have to be clean to live there. My opinion is that by continuing to restrict the labels as such, it's misleading, sometimes deliberately so. I, too, am sensitive to the actions, behavior, reactions, lifestyle, self-abuse, guilt and everything else that comes from having been raped (as a teenager) and I didn't tell a soul until my early thirties. I had no intention of ever mentioning it and the way it came about was apropos of nothing at the moment, and it kind of vomited out of me stunning my mother (and me, I wanted to look around and ask "who said that?!") . I'm putting this here only by way of explanation that no freaking way would I have ever told an ex-boyfriend, current boyfriend what happened to me (the immense and overwhelming shame that she/I/we feel however misplaced is more powerful than hurt) for fear of being judged that she/I/we caused it in some way.

In my opinion, if she was gang-raped, twice, and spoke at all, it would have been in therapy, not to an allegedly abusive ex-boyfriend because who knows what he would do to her. I really have a hard time believing so much of the crap that's out there. I think there are lies from all parties concerned including her family. I take almost everything anybody says out there with a skeptical eye to their motives or agenda because it certainly feels as though it isn't always about the truth, but what "sounds good". And yet, I can't stay away from reading their facebook pages - what they themselves post because it's so revealing in ways they can't imagine. Obviously.

OneLove: great post #800. I wish Jessica could have stayed longer at Leah's House and I wish there were more places like that available to young women (or males) especially in places like that. Places of refuge, safety, learning self-awareness and enlightenment, growth and strength. Religious or not, what a wonderful, wonderful opportunity that is.

I really have a hard time believing so much of the crap that's out there. I think there are lies from all parties concerned including her family. I take almost everything anybody says out there with a skeptical eye to their motives or agenda because it certainly feels as though it isn't always about the truth, but what "sounds good".
snip

Yep, agreeing in full. From all sides, much if not most of what I seem to be hearing when reading online coverage of this case appears to be self-serving twaddle. And I'm not excluding LE in that assessment. One's BS detector gets a real workout.

Both of Jessica's parents knew she was at Leah's House and whatever mindset got her there. One tactic an abuser inflicts is to isolate the woman from her family and also drive an emotional wedge.

Her father said she had been at a battered women's shelter. Chambers' father, Ben Chambers, said his daughter left a battered women's shelter a few months before she was killed. "She was getting on the right track. She had learned her lessons from being in bad relationships," he told NBC News Saturday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/jessica-chambers-teen-burned-death-mourned-funeral-n267811

battered woman syndrome is a model that was developed by Dr. Lenore E. Walker to describe the mindset and emotional state of a battered woman.

general characteristics of the syndrome:

The woman believes that the violence was or is her fault.
The woman has an inability to place responsibility for the violence elsewhere.
The woman fears for her life and/or her children's lives.
The woman has an irrational belief that the abuser is omnipresent and omniscient.

https://www.rainn.org/get-information/effects-of-sexual-assault/battered-woman-syndrome

"What we do know.....Jessica went to Leah's house due to aggressive behavior towards her mom.."

No, we actually do NOT know that, we know only that is what LD has said. There are all sorts of variants that enter the equation when considering that claim.

Arrest and charged with simple assault reported in the Panolian on June 10, 2014
http://www.panolian.com/editionviewer/default.aspx?Edition=d89280e1-8ee4-45ea-8afb-00168ee8d553

"She got out early due to begging her mom to get her out". -- No, what was actually reported was that JC wanted out only very shortly after entering Leah's House. After some weeks there, she adjusted and thrived. Reports were that she did NOT want to leave when she did, that it was her mother that wanted her home. That was backed up by several sources. Exactly why her mother wanted her home has not been answered.

I have not seen or heard any reports that backs up this statement. The mom was somehow convinced that Jessica was a completely changed woman in just 6 weeks and mom worked it out with officials and Jessica to get her out early...see link below about 12 minutes in that discusses her leaving early

http://www.truecrimeradio.com/radio-archives/beth-karas-lisa-chambers-radio-archive-january-2015/

On JC's reports on the rapes, she was in therapy for that at Leah's House and had learned how to deal with her past traumas AND techniques to help her deal with her life situation in her present. Her 'present', apparently, included not wanting to leave Leah's House when she did. It's not been reported whether her mother participated in counselling there or to what extent.

Do you have a link to JC's therapy reports? I would think her therapy sessions would be confidential information and not something Leah's House shared...

Who shared these reports?
Who wrote these reports?
Where is proof that she learned to deal with her past?
Where does it report that she wanted to stay at Leah's House?

As a person who worked specifically with teenage girls in an emergency shelter, most of whom had been sexually abused and ALL of whom came from families with significant dysfunction, I can tell you that EVERY girl I worked with had a parent that claimed their daughter couldn't be believed. EVERY.....SINGLE.....ONE.....OF.....THEM

Aggressive behavior, lying, manipulation and paranoia are also symptoms of drug use as well..Neither sexual abuse nor drug abuse have been proven in Jessica's case to my understanding...

Classito

http://www.clarionledger.com/videos/news/2015/02/13/23327213/

The phone call from LD to JC, in her mother's own words, had Mom say "where'd you go to wash (she used "wash") your car, Memphis? You were supposed to come right back".

The tone and sarcastic words somewhat imply that a 'disagreement' was going on between them during that phone call. I didn't hear "are you okay sweetheart? I've been worried about you being out so long, is anything wrong?". I would think, given the tone of the conversation, that LD asked JC where exactly she had spent that missing time up to that point. Maybe JC didn't answer? Maybe LD has been asked not to reveal that answer?

I believe they argued too...More though with the tones and words from a mother who is feeling let down after believing her daughter had changed her ways...

Classito

The Memphis reference she said was in the form of a text and didn't say if it was answered. She then called with no answer, called again and then JC answered. Nothing about it "implies that a 'disagreement' was going on".

"The thing with Jessica too is you never knew if she was serious or not..you know...you just never knew...."

It sounds as though Jessica was known to fib a lot...If I thought someone was after me..the last thing I would do is jump in my car, at night, by myself, to wash my car and stop at the one place where I would probably run into the person(s) that was 'after me'.....these actions do not say do not say 'Fear' IMO

Classito
Or perhaps she was paranoid, with good reason I'd say.

JMO

My reasoning for believing there was an argument (disagreement) was the length of the call and her mom saying she was suppose to be right back...first leaving a text about Memphis (taking too long) and then calling twice...when she reached her the call was for a long period of time with very little said...mom was waiting for her cigarettes..

Or perhaps she was paranoid, with good reason I'd say.

JMO

I don't see someone paranoid (scared, in fear, or being stalked) going out by themselves at night time to wash a car.
Classito

The Memphis reference she said was in the form of a text and didn't say if it was answered. She then called with no answer, called again and then JC answered. Nothing about it "implies that a 'disagreement' was going on".

IMO, it could be fear or concern on LD's part versus a disagreement. IDK about LD, obviously, but reactions with a teenage daughter aren't always B&W. I've caught myself getting angry when I'm really worried if mine stays out too late, etc. LD might have been frightened about what could go wrong, never imagining something like this, of course.

FWIW, 18-20 is a tough age in terms of parenting, IMO. It's true that you can't force a young woman that age to do anything, but just because she's turned a magic number doesn't mean she doesn't need guidance as well as independence. If she's living under your roof, you do have a bit of leverage. It sounds like the "clean your room" thing was a long-standing issue (I have the same with my daughter), but LD may have chosen to use it as leverage if she wanted to keep LD safe or close that night. This wouldn't imply that JC wasn't doing well, IMO, just that it would be natural for her mom to want her to stay on a good path. JMO.

Also, I agree that LD might be on something to help her cope, which might account for the mixed times. But anxiety itself can cause racing thoughts and confusion. I myself struggle with that during stressful times. I'm sure nothing could have ever prepared her for this.

snipped for focus...

I have not seen or heard any reports that backs up this statement. The mom was somehow convinced that Jessica was a completely changed woman in just 6 weeks and mom worked it out with officials and Jessica to get her out early...see link below about 12 minutes in that discusses her leaving early

http://www.truecrimeradio.com/radio-archives/beth-karas-lisa-chambers-radio-archive-january-2015/

Classito

The report you quote does seem to back up One Love's statement, imo. She said that JC did not want to leave Leah's House, but for some reason Mom wanted her to leave early.

You posted there was nothing to back up that statement, then posted a report saying, in fact, Mom wanted JC out of the program early and she worked with officials to make it happen. What am I missing?

I can't believe that there was nothing in Jessica's phone that would lead to her killer.

I can't believe that there was nothing in Jessica's phone that would lead to her killer.

I think there very well could be but they don't want to rely on a totally circumstantial case and that's why they want a "witness" to come forward.

JMO

The report you quote does seem to back up One Love's statement, imo. She said that JC did not want to leave Leah's House, but for some reason Mom wanted her to leave early.

You posted there was nothing to back up that statement, then posted a report saying, in fact, Mom wanted JC out of the program early and she worked with officials to make it happen. What am I missing?

I listened to that show and came away with the impression that Jessica left the program early because she, Jessica, wanted to leave early and return to her mother's home. Is that incorrect?

Because confiding in someone about being gang raped is so cool and gives one street cred? Please, statistically most females do not "make up" rape stories. Given the fact JC talked to ex and names individuals in clearly dangerous environment/town, it seems unlikely. Unless ex is making up a story but we can't really ask Jessica because she was set on fire and murdered. JC or father "making up" stories and less credible than many potential suspects in that town? Let's discuss who likely has the most credibility problems and material facts of the case, like the many criminals in that town instead of picking on a dead teenager and grieving family. Or provide links if you are going to claim grieving family or anyone else is making up stories and make sure it's material to the case. Jmo/

Well said. Thank you both for taking the time to say it. Sorry, catching up with all the WSers well appreciated deep thinking going on.

I think the story Jessica intended to tell (the writing a book idea) had nothing to do with gangs, her friends or associates. I suspect she wanted to tell a much more personal tale about her childhood and the experiences within her family and upbringing that formed her. It is my thought that she had come to some self realizations and self awareness during her time at Leah's House and was ready to tell her own truth about the things in life which led her to make certain self destructive choices in her past.

That is why I list someone killing her to stop the book as the least likely motives IMO for what was done to her. The people who I feel Jessica's story would expose or cause possible hurt to were not her former friends, boyfriends or associates and I do not feel the planned content was the cause of her murder. I suspect I know Jessica's story as it is not an uncommon one and features certain self esteem killers faced by many young women who then go on to make self destructive bad choices as a result.

Out of respect for her parents' grief I will not speculate further as I feel they had nothing to do with her death and any mistakes, omissions, or poor decisions of their own pasts are probably something they are probably torturing themselves over right now.

Respectfully snipped by me for focus. This - this is what I think Jessica's story would probably focus on if she wrote a book. Family dysfunction and how it played a role in her behaviors, choices and self esteem. Thank you for articulating it better than I could. And none of it IMO has anything to do with her being dead now. It just makes me all the sadder because I think this young lady did some work on herself at leah's house. I think she had gained a great deal of self awareness about how she came to be there, and that no matter what brought her to be the young lady who needed such a place, she could take charge of her life and change it for the better. She did not have to remain stuck in a bad place due to whatever factored into her poor choices and risky decisions prior to her stay. I genuinely believe that was going to be her book. It was to be a means to examine herself, her life, and excise some personal demons so she could move forward to a new life.

I can't begin to comprehend the emotional pain these parents are still experiencing.

"You could see the monitor and her heart was still beating, and they had her on intubation and stuff. I put my arm up on her shoulder and leaned over, and felt her neck, it wasn't burned. I said, 'Jessica, it's OK, Baby, Mama's here, and Daddy's in the waiting room. You know your daddy — he's a big, old baby and he can't come in here, but he's here. And we love you,' " she said.

"And I just looked at her and said, 'I know you're in pain, Baby, if you want to go, you can go.' And she took her last breath."

Daugherty is still being brave. It seems to be the only thing that's keeping her together.

"I don't sleep. Usually if I do sleep, it's in the morning time. I'm up all night. I keep waiting on her to come through the door. I go to her room to see if she's in there. … She's not," she said.

http://www.clarionledger.com/story/news/2015/02/14/moms-last-words-jessica-chambers/23442951/

The mom does not say she wanted her out or who exactly wanted Jessica out of the program early..Only that she worked with Jessica and officials to get her out early...

"...No, no that was all okay, I took care of that myself with them and her"

In my opinion Jessica convinced her mom she was a changed woman and mom believed her...The mom says when she got home she was a totally changed woman.

"...She did leave early, but she came back ho.. she came here..She was wonderful, I mean she had in that short period of time 6 weeks she was a total different child. She was getting up..she was cleaning up.."

Well we do know that she was not cleaning her room a month or two after getting out...In my opinion, she was getting back into the way she was before Leah's House, and she put on a good act to get out...

Classito

No where in that interview did I hear mom say that Jessica did not want to leave Leah's House...

Classito

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member