MS - Jessica Chambers, 19, found burned near her car, Panola County, 6 Dec 2014 - #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's how she was when the first responders came to the scene but someone reported her burning when they passed through the road.

Also conflicting reports on whether the passerby that reported this saw a person on fire or not...Early news reports says a car was reported on fire not a person...and the firemen are the ones who discovered a person burned on the scene

"A passerby called the sheriff’s office about the burning car along Herron Road, near Highway 51, Saturday night."
http://wreg.com/2014/12/08/search-is-on-for-killer-who-lit-panola-county-teenager-on-fire/
http://www.local8now.com/news/state/headlines/Authorities-searching-for-whoever-set-Mississippi-girl-on-fire-285160651.html

Classito

If the DA deliberately left out the Lisa conversation with JC and Lisa was telling the truth, it was a HUGE slam on Lisa. Since, reportedly, Lisa did not get a heads up about the news conference, I tend to think that LE does not believe that there was a conversation. If LE was going to announce the hour gap, I would think that they would have explained why they were doing that to Lisa. As it is, they are basically saying that Lisa is lying. If Lisa did talk to JC she should be screaming from the rooftops! I would. JMO.. If there was a call there is a record of it. JMO

If they haven't searched her phone they should. She could be misstating the time of the "call" to create an alibi.

Also conflicting reports on whether the passerby that reported this saw a person on fire or not...Early news reports says a car was reported on fire not a person...and the firemen are the ones who discovered a person burned on the scene

"A passerby called the sheriff’s office about the burning car along Herron Road, near Highway 51, Saturday night."
http://wreg.com/2014/12/08/search-is-on-for-killer-who-lit-panola-county-teenager-on-fire/
http://www.local8now.com/news/state/headlines/Authorities-searching-for-whoever-set-Mississippi-girl-on-fire-285160651.html

Classito

It just doesn't matter whether the passerby saw JC walking on fire or not. the fact that JC was able to speak to first responders means that when the passerby called at 8:09:59p (according to wreg above), JC must have been lit on fire minutes ago (possibly 2-3 mins when passerby saw burning car) because the first respomders reached there within 5-7 min after the call.

I hope the LE interviewed the passerby more thoroughly on what he/she saw that night. I hope the passerby can recollect something (s)/he did not report earlier.

IMO: if JC was found by first responders next to her car, then she should have been lit on fire inside the car and that JC was possibly passed out on her car when she was lit on fire - may be the reason the perp(s) thought she was already dead before torching her.

May be the prep(s)made a quick get away -parking her car, lighting it up and clearing off immediately. - But according to wreg above, " Investigators know she was at the murder scene on Herron Road at 7:31 p.m" - this would be contradicting a quick getaway. If the investigators are that sure that she was there at 7:31pm, then that brings to question I asked in an earlier post - did she drive there (who would she normally meet there) or the prep(s) have already planned this at this location

Was she found closer to passenger side or driver side? That would be interesting.

If the DA deliberately left out the Lisa conversation with JC

I really don't understand what the fuss is about. The DA was telling about her JC's last few known locations and maybe they couldn't triangulate exact location based on her phone call. Maybe it is a call over wifi (not sure how it works).

I guess the reporters should have asked DA about the phone call. They still can ask about it in next brief-up. After all, DA wants public help and I guess, he would not withheld any information on this call if questioned

It's a big deal because it is part of the timeline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. Sorry for any typos!

I am still having problems with Champion's statement in the latest press conference that investigators still don't know where Jessica was from 6:30-7:30 the night she died, but can pretty much account for the entire rest of her day. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. LD's phone call with Jessica supposedly took place during that time frame, and the US Marshals have probably the most sophisticated technological forensics cell phone tracking ability of any law enforcement agency. They have been able to place Jessica's cell phone, and assumedly Jessica, at the Herron Rd scene at 7:31, so why were they not able to determine her whereabouts during her phone call less than an hour earlier? I can think of a few reasons, and they are...

<snipped>

ETA...I also found it odd that Champion did not even mention the supposed phone call between LD and Jessica when he laid out the timeline.

Steve,thank-you for nailing down why I could not seamlessly stitch together Champion's timeline and the window of time that LD says she spoke to Jessica.

I kept working at merging the two in last nights post. Until finally I gave up and posted what I had. I am totally puzzled as to why the two are are at odds with one another.:confused:

This was the post I am referring to:
If Jessica's seats were reclined perhaps the plan was to offer up a truce (make nice) by getting high.

I do not think this location was randomly chosen. I could see her lured by someone who feigned a desire to clear the air over some previous altercation.

This is all just my opinion.

After I hit post I saw this. Peter,you are spot on; it is critical that everything tracks. Thanks,for saying it:

and something that supposedly took place during arguably the most critical hour of the timeline.

I believe it was established that Jessica had a gash on top of her head, and was found outside of the car. How could that have happened? Did the killer(s) strike her on top of the head to knock her out, then douse her and the car with accelerant and light them? Or did they light her on fire while she was unconscious inside the car, and she awoke and struck her head on the door jamb while escaping the car in a panic? If the latter, then the killer(s) would have probably backed away from the blazing inferno and fled, even if they saw she was still alive, thinking no one could survive to tell the tale. Were any of the car doors open when the firemen arrived at the scene, or would she have had to crawl out one of the windows? All conjecture, no factual basis for any of this.

:escape:

I think you are all correct in your analysis.

This is a quote from Jessica's mom from her very last conversation as to Jessica's plans before returning home.

"The last words she said to me was, 'I'm cleaning my car and getting something to eat and I'll be home.' That was at 7 something that night, and I keep waiting on her to come home."

The Sonic is a logical choice for Jessica to eat & it was a favorite of Jessica's (according to Lyndsey Fowler (REF: Timeline).
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ens-mom-recalls-last-words-daughter/23437545/

Interesting! Interesting, Interesting! She talked to her AFTER 7, and her last words were talking about cleaning her car and eating. BUT she said this AFTER the trip to Batesville (where she passed by food places) and 15 minutes after the call ends she is parked in the middle of nowhere on Herron Rd. I don't think she was cleaning her car or eating at that location. Something is hinky...

Do we know that an eye witness spotted her at 7:31? I figured they knew this because of cell phone triangulation stuff. 7:31 is such a precise time...it's hard to imagine a witness would say, oh ya I saw her there at 7:31. Most people would say something like I saw her around 7:30 that night.

Do we know that an eye witness spotted her at 7:31? I figured they knew this because of cell phone triangulation stuff. 7:31 is such a precise time...it's hard to imagine a witness would say, oh ya I saw her there at 7:31. Most people would say something like I saw her around 7:30 that night.

IIRC, in the presser, Champion said that they used technology to place her there at 7:31.

and something that supposedly took place during arguably the most critical hour of the timeline.

I'm pissed because at the beginning all we had to go off of was the phone call between Lisa and Jessica as the timeline.....
And the video from the gas station.

Now that we've been given a more informative timeline the phone call between Lisa and Jessica IS NOT included....wth?

Something's not right with that IMO.

IIRC, in the presser, Champion said that they used technology to place her there at 7:31.

So.... [the person who asked what the fuss was about the phone call] if technology places her at Herron Rd. at 7:31, what even remotely could explain them not being able to detect her location for the previous hour EXCEPT that her phone was OFF?? And if her phone was off, she couldn't have made a phone call: wifi or not. I don't think the phone call happened. So, if it didn't happen, why would someone say it happened? And another point: LD never asked where Jessica was or what she was doing? 20 minute phone call during which LD is wanting Jessica home to clean her room, and she never asks her what she is doing or where she is at? Not impossible that she didn't ask that question, but from my own personal experience if I'm waiting on someone to come home and do something, the first thing I say is either "where are you?" or "what are you doing?" But that's just me...

Interesting! Interesting, Interesting! She talked to her AFTER 7, and her last words were talking about cleaning her car and eating. BUT she said this AFTER the trip to Batesville (where she passed by food places) and 15 minutes after the call ends she is parked in the middle of nowhere on Herron Rd. I don't think she was cleaning her car or eating at that location. Something is hinky...

Hinky, for sure.

IMO Jessica was on a mission that evening and I am one who believes it involved drugs. If she did talk to her mother about cleaning the car and getting something to eat, IMO it was to buy her some more time to perhaps consume this drug before going back home.

That location would be a good spot for that purpose. That's another reason why I believe whoever was with Jessica didn't live far from that location either.

Hinky, for sure.

IMO Jessica was on a mission that evening and I am one who believes it involved drugs. If she did talk to her mother about cleaning the car and getting something to eat, IMO it was to buy her some more time to perhaps consume this drug before going back home.

That location would be a good spot for that purpose. That's another reason why I believe whoever was with Jessica didn't live far from that location either.

ITA, if the call happened, Jessica told her mom she was getting something to eat and clean out her car---after leaving the very town where she would've done both of those things. Assuming the call happened, I believe that Jessica used that as an excuse to explain her future time away from home. I agree with you as well, she was likely at the spot for something drug-related.

I have been thinking the exact same thing. Nothing adds up. Basing LE's information about JC's location as coming from location devices on her cell phone, pings from cell towers, etc., what we have been told as fact is not at all possible. There is absolutely no way that LD could have been on the phone with JC until 7:13, having a conversation that lasted apx. 20 minutes according to LD, yet LE has nooooooo idea where JC was from 6:30-7:30. It is like they are either joking or assuming that the general public is stupid. Sorry for the frustration just now, folks. SteveP, I am so glad that you threw out some options as far as why LE is alleging this one hour mysterious gap where they have no knowledge of JC's whereabouts. All of your suggestions are valid in my opinion.
I haven't posted in quite a while... I've been insanely busy. There are a few things that have not left my thoughts that I would like to throw out there to you guys. As SteveP mentioned, maybe the phone call that LD alleges never occurred? Anything is possible at this point. Did anyone else find it odd that she was not at the press conference? IMO, if a press conference were being held in regards to the investigation of the murder of one of my loved ones, I would be there, front and center. Also, I want to be clear that I in NO WAY think that LD is responsible for JC's murder before I say anything else. I do not think that she had anything to do with it. That being said, is anyone else curious that to this day the only person who has been cleared by LE is AA? Nobody else? That's odd to me. Also odd to me is the alleged phone call, which does not align with the timeline present by Champion.
Now I would like to briefly speak on Champion. As i have state before, IMO, he should not be leading this investigation. His is an attorney, not an investigator. JMO. That being said, why is he leading this investigation, still? Further, I am aware that as professionals, it is human nature for us to enter a situation such as an interview or a public speaking session of any sort, with a strategy. The strategy could be to make yourself look good, to make someone else look bad, to be completely transparent, to cover up all relevant information, or somewhere in between. The strategy could be to protect someone else, or to protect yourself. The list goes on. My point in this rant is, what was Champion's strategy? He was making a much anticipated announcement on what is possibly the biggest case PC has ever seen during his career at least, and what is his strategy? To show up with no notes, wrinkled clothes, conflicting facts, no experts to speak on their findings, so graphs, maps, or visual displays of any kind. At a minimum,a map would have been helpful for people to see the path that JC travelled in the hours leading up to her murder, if solving this crime is indeed the goal here....But really, what's the strategy? This man did not graduate from Law School by copying off of other people's tests. I feel in my gut that he knows what he's doing, I am just unsure at this moment exactly what that is...Off rant.
This brings me to #4 mentioned by SteveP, that LE is flat out lying because they are close to nailing down the perps. God, let this be true.

I am still having problems with Champion's statement in the latest press conference that investigators still don't know where Jessica was from 6:30-7:30 the night she died, but can pretty much account for the entire rest of her day. Something about that just doesn't sit right with me. LD's phone call with Jessica supposedly took place during that time frame, and the US Marshals have probably the most sophisticated technological forensics cell phone tracking ability of any law enforcement agency. They have been able to place Jessica's cell phone, and assumedly Jessica, at the Herron Rd scene at 7:31, so why were they not able to determine her whereabouts during her phone call less than an hour earlier? I can think of a few reasons, and they are...1) LD either lied, or was mistaken about the time of the call, or 2) There was no phone call between LD and Jessica. If either of these were true, LE would certainly be able to ascertain that from LD and Jessica's phone records. That brings me to 3) Jessica was using another phone during the call, either a borrowed phone, or she could have owned a burner phone that she used for clandestine encounters that she did not want her mom to know of. It is possible that her phone was paid by LD or part of a family plan, and LD would have had access to her monthly bill. IIRC, it was LD who first texted Jessica and called, receiving no answer, but then I believe it was Jessica that phoned her back. But if it were not Jessica's usual number that showed up on her phone, she would have known that, and LE would know whatever the number was that the call was from. Then there is 4) LE is lying about not knowing where she was for any of that hour between 6:30 and 7:30. If that is true, can we believe that they are actually close to nailing someone and just stating they don't know where she was during that critical last hour, or do they truly not know?? Any thoughts? All JMO, as always.

ETA...I also found it odd that Champion did not even mention the supposed phone call between LD and Jessica when he laid out the timeline.

So.... [the person who asked what the fuss was about the phone call] if technology places her at Herron Rd. at 7:31, what even remotely could explain them not being able to detect her location for the previous hour EXCEPT that her phone was OFF?? And if her phone was off, she couldn't have made a phone call: wifi or not. I don't think the phone call happened. So, if it didn't happen, why would someone say it happened? And another point: LD never asked where Jessica was or what she was doing? 20 minute phone call during which LD is wanting Jessica home to clean her room, and she never asks her what she is doing or where she is at? Not impossible that she didn't ask that question, but from my own personal experience if I'm waiting on someone to come home and do something, the first thing I say is either "where are you?" or "what are you doing?" But that's just me...

Absolutely....

I think the phone was off, too. We know Jessica had it with her.

I think that phone was turned back on at 7:30.

Now why would the phone be off? Whoever Jessica was with she clearly wanted no interruptions.
During my younger player days the only time I would turn my phone off is when I was with a guy and didn't want to risk another guy calling me (getting caught).

I would rather turn the phone off than not answer the call.

I have thought the same thing. Not necessarily an 'alibi', so to speak, as I don't personally think that LD had a hand in her daughter's murder, but perhaps she feels guilty about something that did not necessarily lead to LC's murder, such as asking JC to run an errandfor her (other than for cigs) or something. Idk, just a thought.

If they haven't searched her phone they should. She could be misstating the time of the "call" to create an alibi.

Hinky, for sure.

Going off of what you said, hypothetically, what if the run for drugs wasn't for Jessica, but for her mom? This could explain some of the guilt that LD is feeling. I'm in no way insinuating that LD wants her daughter murdered, I am just throwing out another possibility, that perhaps LD made up the phone call ( I think we can all agree on that at this point) as she had sent her daughter on a 'run' for her, and she met her demise somehow along the way? Just a thought...

To go off of what you are saying, in most smartphones, GPS tracking continues even if the phone is turned off. It will continue to 'ping' off of cell towers as well, such as with an iPhone, even if it is 'dead'. Other smartphones, however, that have batteries that can be removed, do not ping when the batty is removed. I find this to be interesting, since wasn't the battery to JC's phone found detached from the phone itself?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18