GUILTY MS - Linda Reed for embezzlement, Copiah County, 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
During a news conference on Tuesday, Jones said auditors confirmed last week that the money was missing from Moore's Fabricators' petty cash from 2010. Jones said Reed, who had worked for the company since 1999, had access to the money and is a suspect in the case.

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mi...-says/-/9156946/17000350/-/vdfp47z/-/index.ht

I am confused about that part

Are they saying that the money went missing in 2010 or it continued since 2010

Not a lot of money , nothing that would change your life..

I don't know...

Copiah County Sheriff’s Office has changed the status of a missing local woman from a missing person to wanted for embezzlement.
“I have a warrant for the arrest of Linda Reed for embezzlement of $20,000 from Moore Fabrication’s petty cash fund,” stated Sheriff Harold Jones late Monday afternoon.
“This is the result of on-going work by the investigators with the sheriff’s office, a CPA hired to audit Moore Fabrication and Machine, Inc.’s books and the FBI forensics team,” Sheriff Jones explained.
http://www.copiahcountycourier.com/v2/content.aspx?ID=57205&MemberID=1230

Jones admitted that family members were “very displeased with the Copiah County Sheriff’s Department,” but he said authorities felt certain that they have proof of Linda Reed’s involvement. They do not suspect anyone else to be involved in either the embezzlement or in Linda Reed’s disappearance.

Jones said the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation were both involved with the investigation. The Internal Revenue Service will also begin an audit of Moore’s Fabrications to see if any tax fraud issues are present.
http://www.clarionledger.com/articl...-20-000-no-leads-whereabouts?odyssey=nav|head

If she was on the lam wouldn’t she have taken her vehicle and gone off to Mexico?

If she decided to harm herself (blood pressure pills missing) would she not have been found by now near where her vehicle was located?

Perhaps she confronted someone else about funds missing from petty cash and they harmed her so she wouldn’t tell the owners or external auditors? In a small owner-managed business the bookkeeper would presumably not be the only one with access to the cash box. Just because the CPA found 20k missing doesn’t mean they necessarily traced it to Linda’s bank account or were able to establish she’d embezzled it… I’d like to see the audit trail on this one. I say call in the IRS and let them do net-worth assessments on everyone within the company.

If she was on the lam wouldn’t she have taken her vehicle and gone off to Mexico?

If she decided to harm herself (blood pressure pills missing) would she not have been found by now near where her vehicle was located?

Perhaps she confronted someone else about funds missing from petty cash and they harmed her so she wouldn’t tell the owners or external auditors? In a small owner-managed business the bookkeeper would presumably not be the only one with access to the cash box. Just because the CPA found 20k missing doesn’t mean they necessarily traced it to Linda’s bank account or were able to establish she’d embezzled it… I’d like to see the audit trail on this one. I say call in the IRS and let them do net-worth assessments on everyone within the company.

link above I posted says that the irs will be getting involved.

Lots of what ifs here that is for sure.

If she was going to run away, wouldn't she take all of her meds with her?

Her medicine bag, her makeup was still there, her Bible verse thing she read every day,” Lou Reed said. “The last day she read was Friday, the day she worked. There was a jug sitting in the middle of the floor with nickels, dimes and quarters; that doesn’t make a lot of sense. Why would you just leave that there?”

Reed said investigators told him they believed some blood pressure pills were missing, however.“She took a lot of different medicines, though,” he said.

http://www.clarionledger.com/article/20121016/NEWS/310160030/?odyssey=tab|mostpopular|text|NEWS

If she was going to run away, wouldn't she take all of her meds with her?

depends on what she is taking... in mexico you can get a lot of things that are normally RX in the US.
(if that is where she went of course)

I wonder why they didn't discuss any of the missing person's investigation. They have been doing that as well haven't they :eek:

and another thought: say she DID embezzle this money.... is anyone that was close to her now a little bit richer or spending more money than they normally do? The 20k has to be somewhere.

depends on what she is taking... in mexico you can get a lot of things that are normally RX in the US.
(if that is where she went of course)

I wonder why they didn't discuss any of the missing person's investigation. They have been doing that as well haven't they :eek:

and another thought: say she DID embezzle this money.... is anyone that was close to her now a little bit richer or spending more money than they normally do? The 20k has to be somewhere.

If some of this money was to pay for say help in getting away and not being found there would not be any left over i would have thought.

I just find it hard to believe that someone would give up everything for such a small amount

Her Mother, husband, kids, grandchildren

If some of this money was to pay for say help in getting away and not being found there would not be any left over i would have thought.

well, considering the IRS is now going to see if there was anything hinky going on with the taxes as well it could be more than 20k (emphasis on could be)

Another thing that i cannot understand, how can someone leave all their possessions being, and just start a new life with just the clothes on their backs?, no home to go too,just bed and breakfasts..

I may be totally wrong but... I agree with helpfindlinda. I just don't believe Linda Reed took money and ran off. I believe she may have stumbled upon something that put her life in danger. And I'm afraid that we will never know the truth. And what's with not being considered missing any longer, but wanted instead. She's still missing and needs to be found regardless of the circumstances. This just makes me sick!!!!

I may be totally wrong but... I agree with helpfindlinda. I just don't believe Linda Reed took money and ran off. I believe she may have stumbled upon something that put her life in danger. And I'm afraid that we will never know the truth. And what's with not being considered missing any longer, but wanted instead. She's still missing and needs to be found regardless of the circumstances. This just makes me sick!!!!

I may be proven to be completely wrong but i have always felt that Linda did not run away.
Then when there was talk of money missing early on, I felt she was the fallguy
I havealways thought she stumbled upon something while bookkeeping that put her in danger

I just don't get this latest news... the money is missing since 2010 but she hangs around til 2012?

If all of this turns out to be true, and she in fact did it, I am going to suggest there is a whole lot more money missing than 20K

Its hard to clear your name when you are MISSING

I repeat.. I may be so wrong!!

@ Dushi -- I'm with you, right or wrong!

I thought it suspect from the beginning that Mr. Moore suggested money could be missing right from the get go without any clear evidence of that. Why would he automatically think that a long-term valued employee, whom lived right there on the property during the week, had taken money and run off? Didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now. Why would Linda return to Copiah County that Sunday just to take off? I don't buy it. I believe Mr. Moore may just be getting away with something nefarious. Regardless, Linda Reed needs to be found so the truth can be revealed.

@ Dushi -- I'm with you, right or wrong!

I thought it suspect from the beginning that Mr. Moore suggested money could be missing right from the get go without any clear evidence of that. Why would he automatically think that a long-term valued employee, whom lived right there on the property during the week, had taken money and run off? Didn't make sense to me then and doesn't make sense to me now. Why would Linda return to Copiah County that Sunday just to take off? I don't buy it. I believe Mr. Moore may just be getting away with something nefarious. Regardless, Linda Reed needs to be found so the truth can be revealed.

If this is the case then maybe she discovered it and could have been caught in the process of making photo copies for evidence? Just an idea..

Oh this is terrible news!! I don't believe for one minute this lady would have run off!! I'm not saying Linda is "old" by any means, but why would a 66 year old lady that has a husband, children, AND an elderly mother run off?? And exactly how far can someone get on 20K??? Sounds hinky hinky to me. Oh Mr Moore, I sure hope you know what you are accusing Linda of!! This poor family! I can't imagine what they are going through!! Maybe HelpFindLina will keep us informed.

Not to mention, how much does that company keep on hand in petty cash? Petty cash is exactly what it is "petty". There is not / should not be thousands of dollars kept in petty cash. If some came up missing the owners would / should catch it pretty quickly, within a few days or a week or so. Should not be an ongoing thing because they would catch onto it and it would be stopped. Unless, of course, the owners were the ones taking all the 'petty' cash, which in this case doesn't sound that 'petty', imo. So maybe the owners have something to hide, if so, probably much larger than petty cash and a measly 20 K, imo.

Not to mention, if fraudulent checks had been written from 2010, how could the company not have found out until 2012? Do they not keep up with / look at / examine their books? :waitasec: Again, raises a lot of questions about the owners of this company, imo.

And to believe that a 65 y/o woman would give up her family and go on the run for 20 k is hard to comprehend as well. What would that last, even in Mexico, a few months? It would take much, much more than this to live comfortably anywhere. Plus, she's going to give up her Social Security pension as well? BTW, IIRC there was never anything about her cleaning out her bank accounts either was there? The alternative might be if she had met up with a multi millionaire, but then why bother to embezzle a few thousand and become a fugitive on the run? I don't really know what to believe, but this new development just sounds so bizarre.

Not to mention, how much does that company keep on hand in petty cash? Petty cash is exactly what it is "petty". There is not / should not be thousands of dollars kept in petty cash. If some came up missing the owners would / should catch it pretty quickly, within a few days or a week or so. Should not be an ongoing thing because they would catch onto it and it would be stopped. Unless, of course, the owners were the ones taking all the 'petty' cash, which in this case doesn't sound that 'petty', imo. So maybe the owners have something to hide, if so, probably much larger than petty cash and a measly 20 K, imo.

Not to mention, if fraudulent checks had been written from 2010, how could the company not have found out until 2012? Do they not keep up with / look at / examine their books? :waitasec: Again, raises a lot of questions about the owners of this company, imo.

And to believe that a 65 y/o woman would give up her family and go on the run for 20 k is hard to comprehend as well. What would that last, even in Mexico, a few months? It would take much, much more than this to live comfortably anywhere. Plus, she's going to give up her Social Security pension as well? BTW, IIRC there was never anything about her cleaning out her bank accounts either was there? The alternative might be if she had met up with a multi millionaire, but then why bother to embezzle a few thousand and become a fugitive on the run? I don't really know what to believe, but this new development just sounds so bizarre.

That is a very good point, would the investigaters have access to her personal accounts?, has she opened up any new bank accounts, any large sums deposited or withdrawn, or could this missing money be in cash?...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzyQuinn
Back