GUILTY MS - Linda Reed for embezzlement, Copiah County, 2012

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And maybe adds to the question, was LR liquidating these assets in preparation for early retirement and to leave town ? Maybe she just got tired of it all. Tired of taking care of everyone. Tired of driving back and forth from one house to another. Tired of living in a trailer behind a metal fab. plant. Only saw her husband on weekends? Idk, but that doesn't sound like much of a marriage if you ask me, but that's jmo. So, maybe she thought she'd take her chances and did go to Mexico or somewhere else, though probably not alone imo. It certainly wouldn't be the first time some family member decides they've had enough and just disappears themselves. Unfortunately, doing it so secretly without informing her children, and fleeing in the middle of the night, if that's what she did, does make it appear there was some motivation that involved something illegal, such as the embezzling allegations.

As far as Mexico, I've read that a lot of Americans are going there to retire because one can live there very inexpensively. Lake Chapala comes to mind as an American retirement destination. They can live a very comfortable lifestyle with maids and gardeners, in a beautiful area with a great climate, on the same amount of money that in the States they would basically subsist on.

Of course, the question remains to be answered, again, if this is what happened, if she has cleaned out her bank accounts. Or, did the bulk of her money from the property sales, etc. even go into local banks or was it deposited in off shore accounts, or maybe in Mexican banks, if that's where she went ?

One thing nags at me constantly, why was her vehicle left there and they picked up her scent, no one else's. What was never clear to me is if they tracked her scent all the way back to the main road and that's where it ended?

Whatever the case, this is all nothing more than mere speculation, for which there is plenty of room, all because LE has remained so tight lipped, and now even the local press has become mute. I wonder if we'll ever get answers. :maddening: Regardless, something tells me that they know more than they're saying.

I agree, not much info at all. I still find it hard to believe that Linda would go off and leave not only her children, grandchildren and husband, but she left her mother! I need to keep reminding myself that not everyone feels a strong sense of loyalty to their family though. :deadhorse:

The Mexico scenario - many people's fantasy, do-able without outrageous funds, shame we aren't privy to the accounting results, that might help get things started in the right direction.

Possibly the press has become mute due to the incorrect reporting a few weeks ago. They may be a little hesitant to print without a stellar, provable source of information this time.

Like you said, I think LE knows more than their saying, I HOPE they do.

Linda, if you've flown the coop, please call your family and let them know you're ok. And, if you're in Mexico living your fantasy retirement, drink a margarita for me~

When her SUV was found, this wasnt considered a crime scene, rather a dementia case. Many along with LE, and of course the local family members, were all over the area searching. IF LR was ever there with someone, who can say that person wasnt there helping with the search, too. Would a scent work in such a case, later. And, if they dont have an article belonging to the possible second person, how do you turn the dog onto that scent anyway.

I dont THINK its ever been said her scent was traced back to the road, just that hers was the only picked up on. But again, if the dogs arent turned on to a scent, as they were to LR .... how would they know what to be tracking.

(unrelated) Apologizes for not using things like question marks within my posts. But it doesnt work.

LR has been missing for about 6 weeks now. Let us hope that the agencies involved in following the money are making progress that will lead to her discovery.

Perhaps NancyDrew2 and others could contact WS and get verified as a local. It is one thing to speculate or theorize, another to state facts, and another to spread rumor. The latter is frowned upon on WS.

When her SUV was found, this wasnt considered a crime scene, rather a dementia case. Many along with LE, and of course the local family members, were all over the area searching. IF LR was ever there with someone, who can say that person wasnt there helping with the search, too. Would a scent work in such a case, later. And, if they dont have an article belonging to the possible second person, how do you turn the dog onto that scent anyway.

QUOTE]

BBM

Do you know why this was this initially considered to be a dementia case?

It's unlikely that a person with dementia would be working as a bookkeeper. I wonder if there something in her medical history that would have led them to believe this. Seems like a strange thing to put out there in the first place.

I dont THINK its ever been said her scent was traced back to the road, just that hers was the only picked up on. But again, if the dogs arent turned on to a scent, as they were to LR .... how would they know what to be tracking.

(unrelated) Apologizes for not using things like question marks within my posts. But it doesnt work.

This is something I have questioned as well.

QUOTE]

BBM

Do you know why this was this initially considered to be a dementia case?

It's unlikely that a person with dementia would be working as a bookkeeper. I wonder if there something in her medical history that would have led them to believe this. Seems like a strange thing to put out there in the first place.

Dion, you have asked my question exactly! Why would dementia even be considered at all?
I've followed this case since day 1 but don't recall that aspect. I think, initially, LE thought it was foul play...and then right after, everyone thought perhaps she walked away (and that's when the embezzlement idea began to float).
IF she walked away from her life here, then that scene with her vehicle was staged.

Dion, you have asked my question exactly! Why would dementia even be considered at all?
I've followed this case since day 1 but don't recall that aspect. I think, initially, LE thought it was foul play...and then right after, everyone thought perhaps she walked away (and that's when the embezzlement idea began to float).
IF she walked away from her life here, then that scene with her vehicle was staged.

I don't recall reading that LE thought it was a case of dementia, but I certainly have missed things in this case.

My understanding was missing person, abandoned vehicle, foul play

If there were health issues , I woul have thought LE would announce that .

You know, missing person, may be confused....

And at no time have I read anything about her family making that suggestion

Could this have come up because of her age?
I certainly hope NOT

From all accounts, she seemed to do her job very well, a detail oriented job.

Does anyone know anyone with SAR or associated with SARDA who could answer this? TIA

I DO miss Nancy Drew's views in all this. She hasn't posted since 6-3, that is concerning to me. You know something could happen to one of us and we would never know it since we don't really know each other!!! (or I dont know y'all.....y'all could know each other!). I know that is a morbid thought but when someone quits posting, I wonder if there is something wrong!

I DO miss Nancy Drew's views in all this. She hasn't posted since 6-3, that is concerning to me. You know something could happen to one of us and we would never know it since we don't really know each other!!! (or I dont know y'all.....y'all could know each other!). I know that is a morbid thought but when someone quits posting, I wonder if there is something wrong!

People quit posting for various reasons
Often, real life gets busy and leaves no time for posting
I wouldn't worry

I have posted with people for months and then they are gone
No reason to think anything happened to them
Often times its just a change in circumstances

We would really never know what the reasons are as most of us do not know each other and we are all scattered over He$$s half acre

It was very much stated by Sheriff that it was being looked at as a dementia case in the first hours .... he did this interview while standing on the road, at the scene, saying no reason to think foul play. It was only later in that day (april 30) that he changed the status to a crime scene and secured the area down, asked for dogs to be brought in. After they searched with dogs that first day, they (sheriff) never did any more seaching .... only family has.

I have tried to find this to put here, however, none of the news links can be found now ... non working links. If you go to the facebook page of her stepson, Chris Reed, you can find post where he is talking about this dementia thought, and how silly it is to him that the sheriff was thinking this. The post is dated May 8.

Why the sheriff thought this at first, no idea, as family located the SUV, so would have been present to say she was of sound mind. But regardless of why, still fact, and the area was not taped off or only walked around on by officials.

To help anyone wishing to see this page of her sons ... his cover photo is 4 men hovering over a dead bear. Im sure there are many under this name is why Im adding this info.

It was very much stated by Sheriff that it was being looked at as a dementia case in the first hours .... he did this interview while standing on the road, at the scene, saying no reason to think foul play. It was only later in that day (april 30) that he changed the status to a crime scene and secured the area down, asked for dogs to be brought in. After they searched with dogs that first day, they (sheriff) never did any more seaching .... only family has.

I have tried to find this to put here, however, none of the news links can be found now ... non working links. If you go to the facebook page of her stepson, Chris Reed, you can find post where he is talking about this dementia thought, and how silly it is to him that the sheriff was thinking this. The post is dated May 8.

Why the sheriff thought this at first, no idea, as family located the SUV, so would have been present to say she was of sound mind. But regardless of why, still fact, and the area was not taped off or only walked around on by officials.

BBM

That could explain the lack of scents. If people were searching the area for a wandering grandma instead of a victim before the sheriff changed his mind then the area could have been covered by scents which could confuse the dogs.

That type of situation was reported just this morning in my state where a small kid wandered out of the house into some woods in the early evening. Neighbors and family searched for a few hours before calling 911, and when they called in the dogs they were confused by all of the scents. Luckily the kid was found this morning safe and sound.

How old is this Sheriff - that he automatically assumes that a 65 year old woman must be losing her mind due to her "elderly" status, and therefore probably just parked her car and went wandering off into the woods.

Seems like he needs to take some training courses.

it seems to me that we're never going to see Linda Reed again. LE doesn't seem to be making any progress. Is the case even active at this point? Is it still in the news?

it seems to me that we're never going to see Linda Reed again. LE doesn't seem to be making any progress. Is the case even active at this point? Is it still in the news?

It is disturbing to me too. LE hasn't said a word in a quite some time, the media is mum, even the locals that posted here in the beginning have disappeared.:dunno:

I am new to WS. I am a local. We are just as confused as everyone else! All we really have to go on is rumors, certainly nothing from LE. I haven't posted before because all I have heard is rumors and you wouldn't believe some of the rumors we have heard! Some rumors are so believable it is not even funny. Some rumors make a lot of what has happened make sense. The news media never seems to get the story straight. We have heard different timelines from each of the news stations. Google maps is wrong on the location of Moore Machine...........if you look at the map that is posted on here of the 3 locations, scroll down and when you see where Sanderson Farms is on Hwy. 51, Moore Machine is directly across from there. Hope Linda Reed is o.k., but you never know. Sure wish we could get an update on the investigation, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon!

I am new to WS. I am a local. We are just as confused as everyone else! All we really have to go on is rumors, certainly nothing from LE. I haven't posted before because all I have heard is rumors and you wouldn't believe some of the rumors we have heard! Some rumors are so believable it is not even funny. Some rumors make a lot of what has happened make sense. The news media never seems to get the story straight. We have heard different timelines from each of the news stations. Google maps is wrong on the location of Moore Machine...........if you look at the map that is posted on here of the 3 locations, scroll down and when you see where Sanderson Farms is on Hwy. 51, Moore Machine is directly across from there. Hope Linda Reed is o.k., but you never know. Sure wish we could get an update on the investigation, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen any time soon!

I am a local here, too. I do not post a lot because the things I hear are rumors as well. The things I have "heard" are believable and unbelievable. This is about the 3rd week in a row that The Meteor has not had anything in the paper about Linda. I wish we could hear SOMETHING legit.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattvaspa895
Back