Found Deceased MT - Katelynn Berry, 26, last seen @ home, suspicious, Sidney, 21 Dec 2021 *Reward*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Both of her parents have stated she would go places for a few days at a time. Where are these places? How does she get there? Without a car or public transit in town, I'm assuming someone else goes with her? It just jumps out to me that if it wasn't initially alarming to not hear from her because she does go places for a few days at a time that maybe this started out that way but something happened while at this "place." I'm sure LE is looking into that possibility.

Another question I have since she didn't have a car: did she ever hitch rides with strangers? I know this is not super common on the whole nowadays, but in small towns, it does sometimes still happen. I have driven by people hitching rides on my way to work in a small, rural area where I live. When visiting national parks out west in states like Wyoming, Montana, Utah, etc., I have witnessed people hitching rides (in general, it's more common in the outdoors/backpacking community. I'm not saying she was part of that community, but Montana is a pretty outdoorsy place and it may be more common there).

Both of her parents have stated she would go places for a few days at a time. Where are these places? How does she get there? Without a car or public transit in town, I'm assuming someone else goes with her? It just jumps out to me that if it wasn't initially alarming to not hear from her because she does go places for a few days at a time that maybe this started out that way but something happened while at this "place." I'm sure LE is looking into that possibility.

Another question I have since she didn't have a car: did she ever hitch rides with strangers? I know this is not super common on the whole nowadays, but in small towns, it does sometimes still happen. I have driven by people hitching rides on my way to work in a small, rural area where I live. When visiting national parks out west in states like Wyoming, Montana, Utah, etc., I have witnessed people hitching rides (in general, it's more common in the outdoors/backpacking community. I'm not saying she was part of that community, but Montana is a pretty outdoorsy place and it may be more common there).

I have not noticed it much. Mostly people car pool with friends. Awhile back a guy was stuck, he had to stay in the hospital for a few days, his friends had to go back. He found a ride with friends of friends. That is common. So, starting with her circle...as most investigations do.

It is true that no one has been sentenced to death in Montana since the 20th century, but the last execution was in this millenium, in 2006. Montana stayed executions because the fast-acting barbiturate it used was no longer available. Montana still has people on death row.

Capital punishment in Montana - Wikipedia.
If i remember correctly it was Pfizer that tried an end run around execution which is legal and should be used in those eligible for the death penalty, but i digress. I stand corrected on my facts but agree with the decision to lethally inject a man who strangled a family which included the husband, a wife and an 11 year old son.

I think he could see basic information like when a text was sent or received but couldn't read the texts. Also basic info like when calls were sent and received (and probably duration of the calls and phone numbers). I'm sure they want info like what the texts said and also what tower the phone pinged off.
Yes he can, see the phone numbers and dates and times of texts if the plan was with Verizon. They only go back three months though and December’s will not be available to the end of January, which in this case is not helpful. If he does not get them by February, which would include November, December, and January, then they will need a court order and that takes time. The cell phone companies claim it is for your privacy, but when you are missing and people are trying to find you it is only protecting the perp!

I wonder if anyone else has gone missing from the Sidney area around the same time, perhaps someone whose disappearance has not been noted in the media. Maybe someone who was passing through?
You would look more for like a corridor, like missing people along Highway 200, or the like. Lots of roads lead to Canada but highly unlikely you would try to take someone across that border during Covid. We always cast a wide net but most likely it is a local, the stranger abduction is very very rare. More likely this is either her not wanting to be found (pray that is the case) or something happened to her either of her own free will or by someone or something else. I am still struck that her plans for Christmas were not cemented. That she had not given anyone a firm commitment to attend anything. Christmas is a very depressing time of the year. This was a beautiful young woman, who did not drive, or did not work. This left her to spend the typical day alone. No matter how much your parents love you, that does not change the facts that you are living a lonely life. This sweet young lady was obviously having some issues in her life and a lot of times, families out of respect, for their own young adult, do what they can do to fill the void. The young adult is on the parent’s minds sun up to sun down. They know that if they would just straighten up, just find a friend, just find a mate… all this would go away and they could live a satisfying and productive life. This goes on in millions of families and the parents suffer as well as the young adult! We have not heard whether she had a connection to God or was spiritual. This makes a difference in a lot of young people’s lives. Sometimes they just want to talk to someone who is an outside source and they just want someone unbiased to hear them out, God fills that role for them, they are always reminded that they are unique, that no one in this world shares their fingerprints, that the way to their existence map belongs to no one but them. If she did just decide to walk away and find time to sort it all out then she might be hesitant to come back for fear that she has raised a ruckus and would be scorned and ridiculed. I assure her this will not be the case, she could actually use her story to inspire others who might be sorting their own issues out. I pray that she is found, i pray if she does not want to be found that she leaves a Godwink somewhere to give her family and friends a sense of peace while she deals with things on her own time. Katelynn knows her family, she knows they will search to the end of time to bring her home and god forbid something bad happens to her that Justice will be served. Keep looking for clues in your neighborhood, at your neighbors, in your own yards and property, look at your own doorbell cams, go door to door asking that elderly person if they saw anything or have a camera that might yield clues. Check the backgrounds of any selfies or photos you might have taken that could yield something. This effort could be helpful if it was disclosed what she was wearing the last time her dad saw her and if those items of clothing were indeed in the home, if not disclose what they were so we know what to actually look for. Did she look that afternoon when dad last saw her remotely like any of the pictures that was passed around, this also might be helpful. Lastly, when dad knocked on that door to bring lunch, did she open the door, did she simply holler “come in” or did she not answer and he simply punched in that code and went in! These answers would also go to her state of mind that afternoon. We want to help but the trail seems like it is going cold, we need a little more to go on, we might have that missing piece that will Bring Katelynn Berry Home!

If i remember correctly it was Pfizer that tried an end run around execution which is legal and should be used in those eligible for the death penalty, but i digress. I stand corrected on my facts but agree with the decision to lethally inject a man who strangled a family which included the husband, a wife and an 11 year old son.

Not debating the merits of it. Capital punishment is still on the books in Montana. A bill to resume executions was voted down in 2021, but the matter could come up again, as soon as 2023. Until it is removed from the books, the possibility still exists that Montana could resume executions.

Yes he can, see the phone numbers and dates and times of texts if the plan was with Verizon. They only go back three months though and December’s will not be available to the end of January, which in this case is not helpful. If he does not get them by February, which would include November, December, and January, then they will need a court order and that takes time. The cell phone companies claim it is for your privacy, but when you are missing and people are trying to find you it is only protecting the perp!
Actually, they have the call history from December. Her mother said in the interview with Dateline:

Carmell said Hank has access to Katelynn’s call logs since her phone is on his family plan. He wasn’t able to read any of Katelynn’s texts, but Carmell said he could see the call history. Carmell followed up with Dateline via email saying there were no outgoing calls after December 21.

She told Dateline they printed the call logs and provided them to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department, hoping that the department would follow up with the people their daughter spoke to last.

Actually, they have the call history from December. Her mother said in the interview with Dateline:

Carmell said Hank has access to Katelynn’s call logs since her phone is on his family plan. He wasn’t able to read any of Katelynn’s texts, but Carmell said he could see the call history. Carmell followed up with Dateline via email saying there were no outgoing calls after December 21.

She told Dateline they printed the call logs and provided them to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department, hoping that the department would follow up with the people their daughter spoke to last.
This is good so they have an idea of whom she last spoke. Usually those call logs, at least at Verizon are a little delayed perhaps this is why they did not report her missing for several days because they were still waiting for the log to matriculate. So we know the parents know who the last call or texts were too. That tells me a lot. I am sure they have “investigated” those folks themselves. I do understand that information is being concealed from the public until which time they might need us. Interesting news that in 1965, 91% of homicides, kidnappings, missing persons were closed/solved. In 2020 that number is down to 60%. Seems having cameras and cell phone video everywhere does not get the job done as well as being an old fashioned gum shoe. This is also because we have a justice system that chooses to to bring charges or declares their is not enough evidence to move forward. This is good news to bad people!

Regarding call logs and access to messages...

Why wouldn't they be able to physically see the messages/call/search history? Didn't Katelynns father (or someone) eventually find the cellphone on the couch? I'll have to search the thread but thought that's what I'd read.

Point being that if/when they (parents or LE?) found the phone, wouldn't police just get a warrant to look into the phone history? Or search the phone with Katelynns parents permission?

Were there logs for sent messages that had been deleted from the phone? If so, seems a bit of a red flag IMO.

Wonder what Katelynns neighbours were up to for Christmas?

Volunteers needed in search for missing Montana woman Katelynn Berry | KX NEWS
Sidney police say the following is required of volunteers:
  • Be available from 8 a.m. until your team’s search is complete (about two to six hours)
  • Bring a valid photo ID and health insurance information (in case of injury)
  • Be 18 or older
  • Must be able to walk/hike long distances and in all types of terrains
  • Dress in layers and appropriate gear for changing weather temperatures and conditions
  • Wear boots or other appropriate footwear for protection against snow and water, as well as debris on the ground that can be sharp and dangerous
  • Bring a water bottle to stay hydrated
Police say no cell phones, pictures or videos may be taken before, during or after the search and all volunteer information is confidential.

“This volunteer assignment may cause stress, anxiety, fear, or other strong emotions. We ask that if you are a family member, close friend or experience any of these emotions that you refrain from this assignment. We value our volunteers’ mental health and want to ensure your service does not cause you any of these emotions that could potentially put your safety at risk,” the Facebook post also said.

Regarding call logs and access to messages...

Why wouldn't they be able to physically see the messages/call/search history? Didn't Katelynns father (or someone) eventually find the cellphone on the couch? I'll have to search the thread but thought that's what I'd read.

Point being that if/when they (parents or LE?) found the phone, wouldn't police just get a warrant to look into the phone history? Or search the phone with Katelynns parents permission?

Were there logs for sent messages that had been deleted from the phone? If so, seems a bit of a red flag IMO.

Wonder what Katelynns neighbours were up to for Christmas?
You cannot even get the contents of your own texts if they are not stored on the phone, it just lists the number, whether it was inbound or outbound and the number texted. Verizon will not give them to you without a court order. We had a situation where we wanted to look at the actual texts but without a court order we could not

• Be available from 8 a.m. until your team’s search is complete (about two to six hours)
  • Be 18 or older
  • Dress in layers and appropriate gear for changing weather temperatures and conditions
  • Wear boots or other appropriate footwear for protection against snow and water, as well as debris on the ground that can be sharp and dangerous
Police say no cell phones, pictures or videos may be taken before, during or after the search and all volunteer information is confidential.

“This volunteer assignment may cause stress, anxiety, fear, or other strong emotions. We ask that if you are a family member, close friend or experience any of these emotions that you refrain from this assignment. We value our volunteers’ mental health and want to ensure your service does not cause you any of these emotions that could potentially put your safety at risk,” the Facebook post also said.
That they now feel a ground search is in order is not good news.

ETA: I wonder if this was originally on the list and then deleted or if it's been added to the list:

• No dogs, horses, drones, ATV's, watercraft or other equipment will permitted by volunteers.

Last edited:
That they now feel a ground search is in order is not good news.

ETA: I wonder if this was originally on the list and then deleted or if it's been added to the list:

• No dogs, horses, drones, ATV's, watercraft or other equipment will permitted by volunteers.

It’s on the original FB post by the Sidney Police. Makes me wonder what they know. Cleats are recommended but horses and ATVs aren’t? I live in a nearby community and am somewhat familiar with the area.

**CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS**

The Richland County Sheriff’s Office, along with State and Federal law enforcement, have been and continue to actively work the missing person investigation involving Katelynn Berry.

At this time, the RCSO along with the Sidney Police Department are seeking civilian volunteers to assist in a ground search on Thursday, January 20th, 2022. Interested volunteers will need to report to the Richland County Fire Station beginning at 8:00 AM for check-in, briefing, and team assignments.

Please be advised of the following requirements:

• Volunteers are asked to be available from 8am until your team is complete with your search location, 2-6hrs.
• All volunteers are required to register and go through the vetting process.
• Bring a valid picture ID, and personal health insurance information in case of injury.
• No persons under 18 will be permitted to register or participate.
• High level mobility is required, volunteers must be able to walk/hike long distances and in all types of terrains.
• You will be provided a safety vest and badging, to be returned at the end of your assignment.
• Dress in layers and appropriate gear for changing weather temperatures and conditions.
• Wearing boots or other appropriate footwear for protection against snow and water, as well as debris on the ground can be sharp and dangerous. Removable snow cleats or yaktrax will be appropriate at times.
• Bring a water bottle and stay hydrated.
• There are no storage locations for personal belongings, please leave your belongings in your vehicle or bring a backpack.
• No CELL PHONES, PICTURES or VIDEOS may be taken by volunteers at any stage of your service. Your participation and all information is confidential.

This volunteer assignment may cause stress, anxiety, fear, or other strong emotions. We ask that if you are a family member, close friend or experience any of these emotions that you refrain from this assignment. We value our volunteers' mental health and want to ensure your service does not cause you any of these emotions that could potentially put your safety at risk.

Not all volunteers who register will be given assignments as there is a limited number of volunteers needed. You may register and leave your name on the call list or simply check back with the Facebook page for future needs.

Any questions or concerns can be directed to Sidney Police Chief Mark Kraft at 406-433-2210 or through the Sidney PD Facebook page.

• Be 18 or older

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a search team organizer ask that family and friends refrain from volunteering due to the potential for stress, fear, and anxiety before — I wonder what that might mean?

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a search team organizer ask that family and friends refrain from volunteering due to the potential for stress, fear, and anxiety before — I wonder what that might mean?

Could it possibly be that they have a suspect/suspects in mind and they don't want them to contaminate anything? But then I doubt they'd ask for any volunteers at all if that was the case. Or maybe her friends and family are (understandably) emotionally unstable and they'd be more of a hindrance than a help? I don't mean that in a horrible way, just being realistic

Edited to add - or do you think it's more a case of LE expecting to find a body?

Did anything come of the cctv?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AtroRed
Back