Mt REDOUBT, Alaska, about to BLOW

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, It's coming back, at least the RSO which is most accurate for Redoubrt is back recording and the blank areas have been filled in. It is so strong right now that most of the space is being filled with blue.

It was an experience so I don't feel bad for my alarming post above. LOL This is the most activity I have seen with her since I began following her seismic activity.

xox

Well, It's coming back, at least the RSO which is most accurate for Redoubrt is back recording and the blank areas have been filled in. It is so strong right now that most of the space is being filled with blue.

It was an experience so I don't feel bad for my alarming post above. LOL This is the most activity I have seen with her since I began following her seismic activity.

xox

The little volcano has definitely been active today - and sure enough Redoubt Hut camera is covered in snow - can't see the buggar ! :crazy:

Scandi I noted on the AVO site they have updated some of the images and added labels to them to identify the features of concern. Pretty neat. Also there are two short videos on the image pages, showing a scientist taking temperatire of the muddy flow and also collecting a sample. There is a lot of muddy water coming down that mountain ! I was a bit surprised by that given how cold it is up there now - pretty warm water pouring down the north flank toward the Drift River.

The little volcano has definitely been active today - and sure enough Redoubt Hut camera is covered in snow - can't see the buggar ! :crazy:

Scandi I noted on the AVO site they have updated some of the images and added labels to them to identify the features of concern. Pretty neat. Also there are two short videos on the image pages, showing a scientist taking temperatire of the muddy flow and also collecting a sample. There is a lot of muddy water coming down that mountain ! I was a bit surprised by that given how cold it is up there now - pretty warm water pouring down the north flank toward the Drift River.

Hi Charlie and Oh how good it is to hear from you. lol

I'll go thru the AVO site again. I really liked what they did showing by marking all the little fumerole holes in the mountain, and I was surp[rised at how many there were.

I alwways check now on the recent Alaska earthquakes, and even tho they are not powerful ones, it is interesting to see. There were a few over the weekend, one 33 miles away, one like 60 miles, another at 120 or so away from Redoubt.

On CNN where the gal explained this, she said all those volcanoees are connected, so even if it is 33 miles away it has an impact on Redoubt.

If I get a call tomoz from the man at the USGS office in Portland I'll give a little report. That should be interesting.

Charlie, the marks we are seeing now on the RSO chart where the lines are almost filling the space they are so frequent and strong, is that from magma rising? That is one thing I don't understand yet. xox

Hi Charlie and Oh how good it is to hear from you. lol

<snip>

Charlie, the marks we are seeing now on the RSO chart where the lines are almost filling the space they are so frequent and strong, is that from magma rising? That is one thing I don't understand yet. xox

Scandi,

My understanding is, look at the Reboubt RSO chart from 0400 - 1200, when one sees the long block looking readings, that is indicative of magma movement. Demonstrated by high energy sustained readings. As I understand it, the following information applies:

Volcanic seismicity has three major forms: short-period earthquakes, long-period earthquakes, and harmonic tremor. Short-period earthquakes are like normal fault-related earthquakes. They are related to the fracturing of brittle rock as the magma forces its way upward. These short-period earthquakes signify the growth of a magma body near the surface. Long-period earthquakes are believed to indicate increased gas pressure in a volcano's "plumbing system." They are similar to the clanging sometimes heard in your home's plumbing system. Harmonic tremor occurs when there is sustained movement of magma below the surface.

Apparently a combination of data is used when attempting to determine the status of a volcano to include gas analysis and surface deformation. As magma nears the surface and its pressure decreases, gases escape. Sulfur dioxide is one of the main components of volcanic gases, and increasing amounts of it herald the arrival of more and more magma near the surface. Swelling of the volcano signals that magma has accumulated near the surface. Scientists monitoring an active volcano will often measure the tilt of the slope and track changes in the rate of swelling. An increased rate of swelling--especially if accompanied by an increase in sulfur dioxide emissions and harmonic tremors--is a sure sign of an impending event.

And of course I have been being a pest with the questions but thankfully, the scientists appear to be okay with answering my questions. With all this in mind, we are only seeing the seismic charts, there is a lot of data we are not privy to.

Hi Charlie and Everyone,

WOW again~!

I always check the mountain before going to bed. The last thing I do in my little routine is check the Status Report. They had already changed it once today, but lo and behold here is a new report:

"Redoubt Volcano Latest Observations

2009-02-25 22:59:29

Redoubt Volcano has not erupted. Volcanic tremor and occasional discrete earthquakes are continuing this evening. There was a brief period of elevated tremor today between 3:45 p.m. and 4.30 p.m. Since that time tremor has been at lower amplitude, but there has been an increase in the rate of occurrence of weak earthquakes, and these have increased in amplitude in the last hour.

Clouds began obscuring the web cam views of the volcano just after noon today, and night has fallen.

AVO is monitoring Redoubt Volcano closely, and the observatory is staffed 24 hours a day".

The charts are off the wall with the frequent earthquakes. Krams

PS: I did write the AVO Team a short little note tonight thanking them for their stellar coverage of the activity on the mountain, I am totally impressed, YaYa

I bet they really appreciate that, Scandi... especially given that the USGS has to fight hard for funding because very few in the general public realize the importance of volcano monitoring. Just the other day the governor of Louisiana blasted the federal gov't for putting aside $140 million for volcano monitoring, in the new stimulus package. If the governor had did his homework he would have found out that only a portion of that money goes to volcano monitoring... the rest will will go towards geological things like better mapping of flood-prone areas. But back to the volcano monitoring: for that governor to blast volcano monitoring, is no different if some brainless twit got up in congress and blasted hurricane monitoring. I still can't believe that man had the audacity to say what he said, given that special scientific monitoring (be it hurricanes) is what keeps his state and constituents prepared, ready and safe during hurricane season. And heaven knows, New Orleans is prone to flooding... so the man is shooting himself in his own foot for griping about USGS monies.

So yeah, I'm sure they probably appreciated your thanks, Scandi... you rock!

I bet they really appreciate that, Scandi... especially given that the USGS has to fight hard for funding because very few in the general public realize the importance of volcano monitoring. Just the other day the governor of Louisiana blasted the federal gov't for putting aside $140 million for volcano monitoring, in the new stimulus package. If the governor had did his homework he would have found out that only a portion of that money goes to volcano monitoring... the rest will will go towards geological things like better mapping of flood-prone areas. But back to the volcano monitoring: for that governor to blast volcano monitoring, is no different if some brainless twit got up in congress and blasted hurricane monitoring. I still can't believe that man had the audacity to say what he said, given that special scientific monitoring (be it hurricanes) is what keeps his state and constituents prepared, ready and safe during hurricane season. And heaven knows, New Orleans is prone to flooding... so the man is shooting himself in his own foot for griping about USGS monies.

So yeah, I'm sure they probably appreciated your thanks, Scandi... you rock!

Hi Elphaba, I read his comments too and was quite surprised he said what he did.

Mt St Halen's did the same thing before she blew, on and off activity. It had more steam emissions tho I think and then right before it blew the red hot spots at night. I think Redoubt and St Helen's are the same kind of volcano with pyrocastic {sp} flows instead of molten lava flows. I think LOL

We don't see much visually of the mtn because of the snow and clouds up in Alaska. But the RSO and 2 other seismic charts are really interesting to follow, especially with all the activity of small seperate earthquakes she is experiencing. Looks like she's breaking some rocks although has settled down a bit right now.

Great to see you Sweetie XOX

Yeah, Redoubt is like Mt St Helen: all about the catastrophic blast and hot devastating mud for miles and miles. I am always amazed by pics from when she blew...

ETA: thankies much... I need to check back here, more often! :)

Yeah, Redoubt is like Mt St Helen: all about the catastrophic blast and hot devastating mud for miles and miles. I am always amazed by pics from when she blew...

ETA: thankies much... I need to check back here, more often! :)

Me too! I just get overly excited when the charts start looking dramatic! LOLOLOL

I did get this back from AVO today:

"Thanks, Cheryl!

--------

Cheryl K----- wrote:

I want to thank your team for the simply stellar job you are doing in keeping the public informed on Mt Redoubt's activity.

I should say everything on the AVO site is beautifully put together and maintained.

Krams, Cheryl K-----

Portland, Or

Kate Bull

Geologist

Alaska Volcano Observatory

ADGGS

3354 College Rd

Fairbanks, AK 99709

tel: (907) 451 5055

fax: (907) 451 5050"

xox

She's still alive and kickin' tonight. Here is the nightly report:

Redoubt Volcano Latest Observations
2009-02-26 20:32:24

Redoubt Volcano has not erupted. Volcanic tremor decreased substantially beginning yesterday afternoon. Small discrete earthquakes dominate the seismic activity today.

During an overflight this afternoon, geologists noted vigorous steaming from the base of the 1989-1990 dome and from a melt hole on Drift Glacier.

Seismicity was at a higher level between 17:30 and 18:10 this evening, and a flow deposit and vigorous steam plume was seen on the webcam images. The flow peaked between 17:52 and 18:04.

AVO is monitoring Redoubt Volcano closely, and the observatory is staffed 24 hours a day.

Is she still making little earthquakes? Isn't that tied in to an eruption soon?

Here is the weekly update as of 2/27/09 - things are changing:

2009-02-27 13:31:27 - Weekly Update

Unrest at Redoubt Volcano continues. No eruption has occurred.

Relatively low-amplitude volcanic tremor and intermittent discrete earthquakes characterized seismic activity at Redoubt from February 21-24. During this time, clear weather allowed many web camera and satellite views that showed nothing out of the ordinary.

On Wednesday, February 25, a broad-spectrum seismic signal at 9:29 AM AKST was likely associated with a small mud flow originating from a melt hole in the Drift glacier at about 5600 feet above sea level. This dark deposit was seen in a web camera image from 10:03 AM AKST that morning, and observers on an overflight the next day reported that the deposit was several hundred meters in length. Later the same day, at 3:37 PM AKST, tremor amplitude increased sharply and remained elevated for approximately one hour. This tremor was strong enough to be recorded on all seismic stations on Redoubt Volcano as well as many stations surrounding Cook Inlet. At 10:40 PM AKST the same night, the number of discrete earthquakes increased and remained elevated for about four hours.

On Thursday, February 26, a flurry of earthquakes began at 5:30 PM AKST and lasted for roughly one hour. These events were accompanied by the emplacement of a mudflow that covered a large portion of the upper Drift glacier, as viewed in web camera images beginning at 6:04 PM AKST. An ASTER thermal infrared satellite image from last night shows this deposit stretching several kilometers down the Drift glacier.

The recent variations in seismic activity coupled with increased melt water discharge on the upper Drift glacier indicate that conditions have changed at shallow depths beneath the volcano. It is possible that magma has moved to shallower levels in the volcanic edifice, but recent changes may be due instead to changes in degassing pathways from a deeper magma body. AVO is currently analyzing this seismic activity and will issue further information as it becomes available. A gas-measurement flight is currently underway.

Because of the clear weather this past week, AVO was able to undertake several flights to Redoubt to measure gas (February 21, and today) and perform upgrades to the monitoring network (February 21, 22, and today). Results from the February 21 gas flight reveal that the emission rates of CO2 and SO2 have not changed since February 7 and both remain high. Upgrades to the network include addition of a broadband seismometer on the volcano's west flank, installation of a pressure sensor (to detect airwaves) north of the volcano, and improvements to the power supply at the AVO hut.

Hi Charlie and Meo,

Here is little article with some imagination:

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/features/857/857

DEAR Mt. REDOUBT

ALASKA DISPATCH
The Observer
Feb 24, 2009

Snippet

"Dear Mt. Redoubt,

We don't know if you elevated your seismic activity because you got jealous of Governor Palin's media explosion or what, but we're tired of this simmering tantrum of yours. In geologic terms, her fame should seem an instant to you, so get over yourself and blow up already. We, The Concerned, remember that when you blew in '89, you had enough courtesy not to hold us hostage for so long before you inconvenienced us. You did end up erupting continuously from December that year until June the next, but at least you got right to work, you didn't overdo it, and prevailing winds kept your damage low. If you're really going to go through with it this time, be quick about it so The Concerned can clean up and get on with our lives.

You may not know it, but those of us in your potential fallout zone have been on "Orange Alert" for almost two months now. The Concerned are completely stocked up on food, water, nostalgic board games, and piles of assorted ash gear: Respirator masks, tarps, tape and Visqueen, air filters, vacuum bags, electronics covers, mason jars to collect local samples for the Alaska Volcano Observatory (whose logo, you'll be proud to know, features an homage to your last, majestic ash cloud), and even brand-new Ziploc bags for all our remote controls. Heck, we keep waiting to see HEPA tube socks-we would totally buy those.

Which reminds us, thanks for the welcome boost to Southcentral's economy. We've done alright so far, but we're eager to cash in even more. We bought 5 gross of those little, clear glass vials from a dude we know in Wasilla so we can sell your ash to tourists next summer or send it to our Outside relatives for the holidays. It's a good thing we haven't based our entire economy on the possibility of your eruption, but with the price of oil so unpredictable lately, we might as well have. Without you and the hope of a poisonous, earthen plume blotting out the sun, these would truly be dismal economic times. . . " more @ link

and another . . . .

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stories/022709/new_292784705.shtml

"TO ERUPT OR NOT TO ERUPT?: AVO must remain prepared, vigilant at all times"

PENINSULA CLARION
By Dante Petri
Feb 27, 2009

Snippet

"Only a month ago, Mount Redoubt came roaring back to life in a fit of seismic activity that prompted experts to issue warnings that the peak could erupt within a matter of hours.

Hours have since faded into days, days into weeks, and while the peak has remained active, it has yet to erupt.

John Power, a geophysicist at the Alaska Volcano observatory in Anchorage, said the peak has continued to show signs that have led him and his colleagues to believe the peak will still erupt.

"The signs of unrest are still there, and what is apparent is that what's causing the current unrest is that we've moved some new magma under Redoubt at some depth," Power said.

Whether that magma boils to the top is hard to predict, but Power thinks it's likely.

"I still feel that the likely outcome will be some kind of eruptive activity," he said.

Just the same, he admitted it's possible the volcano may cool off.

The activity on and surrounding the prominent peak that sits 50 to 60 miles west of Kenai has been anything but ordinary, so far.

When the peak first started showing signs that it might erupt in the early morning hours of Jan. 25, staff at the observatory anticipated a similar eruption to the series that began in December 1989.

"In 1989 we went from what was apparently no background activity to a full eruption in 23 hours," Power said.

Staff expected a similar event Jan. 25. To their surprise, however, things have gone differently.

"We went down to the track thinking we were going to be running a sprint, and now we're running a marathon," he said. . ." more @ link

LOL Scandi - thanks for the articles. I'm joining The Concerned. Can't remember how many times I have stared at those seismographs and wondered when Mt. Redoubt is gonna chit or get of the pot. Figured it would happen when the camera's were obscurred but nope...

Buggar is just egging us on for the attention. I do bet however, it cannot be an easy time for the local populations around there that could be affected by it errupting. Wish them all well. Sounds as though they are well prepared.

Dear Mt Redoubt,
Get off your lazy ash , already.

Pyroclastically Yours,
Concerned from the Lower 48

:cool:

Well Hi Ho and Howdy Do?

We're getting some hot action at Mt Redoubt FINALLY. My mouse won't copy and past. Sorry or I'd bring you the new report.

Basically, the alert level is back to ORANGE At about 1pm this afternoon she shot up a 15,000' high plume of smoke and ash that dusted the north driftriver flank. They don't call this a real eruption, but the seismicity is up and still going on.

The RSO chart is cherry, busy with wide sweepings of what I now realize are the seismic waves that makes the mountain tremble as the lava moves upwards .

Just had to let ya know, and they say the mtn could take a dramatic turn and erupt at any time. It can change within hours they say.

xox

March 15, 2009

image.php

Redoubt.jpg

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members