GUILTY MT - Sherry Arnold, 43, Sidney, 7 Jan 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if LE has searched the Arnolds' home?
It's interesting that they aren't leaning toward an abduction at this point.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1201/10/ijvm.01.html

Here's a link to the transcript of JVM's conversation with Sherry's husband from the other night. Tonight's isn't up yet. He tries to explain the cancer and surgery she had had on her foot/leg. I do think this part is a little interesting...I hadn't remembered him saying this:

VELEZ-MITCHELL: Well, when did you become alarmed? How long -- sometimes people can jog for a long time. At what point did you decide, oh, my gosh, she`s missing, and I better go look for her or call the cops?

ARNOLD: I don`t know the exact time, but I`d have to think through everything I did that morning. But I do know that a half hour would have been about the time I expected her to run. If sometimes she did a long run, which is about six miles, it takes an hour. When an hour passed, I was a little irritated because she didn`t tell me she was taking a long run. And -- but it was nothing unusual.

How could she have told him she was going for a long run if he didn't talk to her that morning? And he was a little irritated, but it "was nothing unusual"? idk......

Hmmmm his answer has my hinky up... I"d have to think through everything I did that morning...

When was she last seen by someone other then the husband. Also I would like to know could you throw a sneaker from a moving car and have it land by the ditch?

Well, that's odd...?

Yes, it is. Check out this AP article from 3 days ago:

Mayor Bret Smelser, who attends church with Arnold's parents, said she is "a daughter of the community" whose disappearance brought out the best in hundreds of residents from Sidney and surrounding towns who have participated in the search.
Smelser said the family planned to announce a substantial reward for information in the case on Monday, with neighbors and businesses expected to chip in to increase the amount to as much as $250,000.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...L5DTvA?docId=ff40cff62bcd48aa993525d16d79c814

JMO - I don't think the husband is involved. It was mentioned earlier that they were a blended family, therefore, divorce is not out of the question if their relationship was on the rocks.

I don't think this is a case of someone hitting her with their vehicle -- there would be something more substantive to suggest that, and nothing has been said by authorities. Nor do I think she was the victim of a wildlife attack, as that too would yield a lot of evidence of such an event.

She either:

1. Was abducted on her run or

2. Something happened to her (in the home) and she never made it for a run, and the shoe is a staged item.

The description given of what she was wearing is a bit of a red herring simply because no one at home actually saw her leave for said run.

I don't think this is a case of someone hitting her with their vehicle -- there would be something more substantive to suggest that, and nothing has been said by authorities. Nor do I think she was the victim of a wildlife attack, as that too would yield a lot of evidence of such an event.

She either:

1. Was abducted on her run or

2. Something happened to her (in the home) and she never made it for a run, and the shoe is a staged item.

The description given of what she was wearing is a bit of a red herring simply because no one at home actually saw her leave for said run.

BBM. The description of the running apparel and the discovery of the single shoe are troubling for me. Both could mean absolutely nothing, but one or the other could also be significant in the case. jmo

I wonder if she came across something she shouldn't have seen.

Her husband should get a polygraph and that would end the suspicion. IMO

I do not think she was hit by a truck or dragged away by a animal. Possibly she witness something and since its a small town they know her.

My point was I thought she had told him the night before she was NOT going running at all...so why would he say she hadn't told him it would be a long run? Or am I wrong??

All I remember reading was that Sherry told her husband she would be sleeping in that morning and that her husband stated she does not go for a run every day.
Sorry, I have no link.

JMO - I don't think the husband is involved. It was mentioned earlier that they were a blended family, therefore, divorce is not out of the question if their relationship was on the rocks.

I don't know if he is involved or not, but the fact they have been divorced before does not rule him out IMO.

Does anybody else think there is a slight chance this is a voluntary disappearance (she didn't even bring her phone)?

Well, she's a human being so anything is possible but I don't think it's likely.

She has a spouse, children, a job that sounds like she was both passionate about and very good at. Nothing there sounds like someone who would want to disappear.

Plus, I don't think it's all that odd that she left her cell behind. She lived in a small town, she obviously felt perfectly safe running in the darkness and there are many runners who really prefer not to feel any excess/unbalanced weights (like a cell phone in a pocket) when they run.

I lived in an equally small town six years ago (now I live six miles outside it) and it never occurred to me to take my cell with me when I went walking, no matter what time of the day or night. I never really thought of it consciously but I know I could go up to any house in town if I had a problem and if there was someone home, they'd call for me or let me use their phone and probably fill me up with coffee and snacks before I could get away.

I'm sure not all small towns are like that but mine is and it sure sounds like Sydney is as well.

Maybe. Others have pointed out flaws with my scenario, which I have to admit I have no answers for, especially the fact that there seems to be little/no evidence besides the shoe.

The only I objection I do have an answer for was the idea that it would be more risky to pack the dead/injured pedestrian up in your car instead of taking the chance that it would be just one more "anonymous" hit-n-run. When I went to my Neuroscience & the Law seminar in November, one of the speakers specifically studied non-clinical adolescents and she showed us some of the videos of sessions where she asked them "Would it ever be a good idea (or safe) to..." and their responses were amazing. I mean she was asking, "Would it be a good idea to go swimming with sharks?" or "Would it be a good idea to set your hair on fire?" and these kids had to think it through even though they were relaxed and sober. That was just an example. Really, the adolescent brain isn't on a level playing field with ours when it comes to risky behavior, even under the best circumstances (so imagine how it would be when substances are involved, eg.). Just wanted to share because that made a deep impression on me.

OMG, I had to laugh because that sounds so, so familiar to me! For one thing, I have a late adolescent in my house and her decision making process is... well, let's just not bother with sticking a fork in her!

The other reason this makes me laugh is that my ex-husband was a grad student (in neurobiology!) at a major research university and even though his students in low level biology were only 5 years younger than him, they were adolescent idjits. My husband would tell me about the questions they asked and bad test answers they gave and we'd just look at each other and say "you know, it's scary to think these kids are living away from home."

Of course, adolescents aren't the only ones who make really, really bad decisions. I gave the case of Maurice Dejean earlier in this thread but really, that could be said of any diplomat that fell for the swallow trap (and there were plenty).

Sorry,but I have no idea. I don't know which foot was operated on or which shoe was found. Anyone else who has read or heard this information?

Educated guess only based on info from the FBI's Kidnapped & Missing Persons listing for Sherry. Under "scars & marks" it indicates she has difficulty lifting the front part of her LEFT foot, which is also scarred.

Makes sense that would have been the foot operated on for the cancer.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap

Yes, it is. Check out this AP article from 3 days ago:

Mayor Bret Smelser, who attends church with Arnold's parents, said she is "a daughter of the community" whose disappearance brought out the best in hundreds of residents from Sidney and surrounding towns who have participated in the search.
Smelser said the family planned to announce a substantial reward for information in the case on Monday, with neighbors and businesses expected to chip in to increase the amount to as much as $250,000.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...L5DTvA?docId=ff40cff62bcd48aa993525d16d79c814

"(Her) disappearance brought out the best in hundreds of residents......." Interesting wording, and I am not sure what it means.
She brings out the best in people? How could her disappearance do that?
OR
The best people in the community showed up for the searches? :waitasec:

My point was I thought she had told him the night before she was NOT going running at all...so why would he say she hadn't told him it would be a long run? Or am I wrong??

Yes...if she told him she wasn't going to be running in the a.m., then how could he be frustrated that she was running longer than he expected on her non-run?
I don't know if I helped with this feedback of what you said, but I think I understand what you wrote.:seeya:

Educated guess only based on info from the FBI's Kidnapped & Missing Persons listing for Sherry. Under "scars & marks" it indicates she has difficulty lifting the front part of her LEFT foot, which is also scarred.

Makes sense that would have been the foot operated on for the cancer.

http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/kidnap
Thanks, AOT! Was the found shoe her left shoe?

It could've gone like:

"Oh, she's running after all? Well, she won't be long."

Later...

"I didn't mind that she didn't leave a note since her runs are quick, but she's taking a long run and didn't let me know? Well, her coffee will get cold."

I have a question. How do runners wear the mini iPods and earbuds? Are they strapped on, zipped in... what sort of fastening system is there?

The shoe vs mini iPod is very interesting, I think. I wish I knew more about the physics involved in that, too.

As far as much evidence being left if it were an auto accident, I'm not so sure. It's horrible of me to compare it to a deer/car accident in front of my house, but if they are at all similar, there was no blood. Just one broken yellow light, with a biggish piece of yellow plastic that was easily picked up to clean up. The deer must have had internal injuries, because she died right away. But it didn't leave a scene at all. The car was obviously dented, with one broken light. There were several meters between the deer and the yellow plastic. That was all.

It could've gone like:

"Oh, she's running after all? Well, she won't be long."

Later...

"I didn't mind that she didn't leave a note since her runs are quick, but she's taking a long run and didn't let me know? Well, her coffee will get cold."

That seems reasonable to me.

I have a question. How do runners wear the mini iPods and earbuds? Are they strapped on, zipped in... what sort of fastening system is there?

The shoe vs mini iPod is very interesting, I think. I wish I knew more about the physics involved in that, too.

There are various ways of carrying an iPod. One popular system is an armband that fits around the upper arm.

The way my niece carries hers when she goes for a walk is in her pants pocket, with the wire for the earbuds run under her shirt, emerging at the collar and then to her ears. She says she doesn't like it when the wind flaps the wire around and if it does, it sometimes pulls the earbuds out of place.

As far as much evidence being left if it were an auto accident, I'm not so sure. It's horrible of me to compare it to a deer/car accident in front of my house, but if they are at all similar, there was no blood. Just one broken yellow light, with a biggish piece of yellow plastic that was easily picked up to clean up. The deer must have had internal injuries, because she died right away. But it didn't leave a scene at all. The car was obviously dented, with one broken light. There were several meters between the deer and the yellow plastic. That was all.

Again, I agree. While pedestrian/car collision sounds like it would be automatically quite bloody, it varies quite a lot. It depends on where the victim was struck, what position the victim was in, the weight of the victim, the speed of the vehicle, etc.

The younger brother of someone I graduated from high school with was the victim of a hit and run accident. It actually took an autopsy before they knew what had killed him: the wing mirror on something tall, like a full sized pickup or a semi (the road he was found next to had both sorts of traffic). There was no other evidence found at the scene, not even pieces of glass or plastic. The medical examiner said he was hit from behind.

I think now that they would able to find microscopic evidence on the body that was not looked for thirty-plus years ago.

I do remember that it was an open casket funeral and he looked quite normal.

I've always wondered if the driver maybe never even realised he hit a human being. They might have thought they hit a deer or something like that. It was never solved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
northsearch