Murder Charges

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't think anyone has posted a transcript of the press conference announcing the murder charges against SM/TM, so here it is for reference purposes. It was very short and to the point:

Press Conference with Horry County Police Chief Saundra Rhodes, February 24, 2013

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24804575/murder-charges-added-for-horry-county-couple-in-connection-with-heather-elvis-case

SR: Good morning. As Lt. Kegler said, we just want to give you an update on this case. I'll start from the beginning for you. On December 19, 2013, Heather Elvis' vehicle was found at Peachtree Landing. On December 20, when she was reported missing by her family, a full investigation was launched by the Horry County Police Department Major Crimes Unit. A seven-agency task force was then formed to investigate the disappearance of Heather Elvis. On February 21, as a result of the investigation, a search warrant was conducted at the home of Sidney and Tammy Moorer. Sidney and Tammy Moorer were taken into custody and charged with one count of Obstruction of Justice and two counts of Indecent Exposure on the following day. On February 23, both Sidney and Tammy Moorer were charged with kidnapping in connection with the disappearance of Heather Elvis. On today's date, Sidney and Tammy Moorer will be charged with the murder of Heather Elvis, and a bond hearing for that murder charge will be held the week of March 17, and that is because it requires a circuit court judge to set bond on a murder charge. Do we have any questions?

Q: Can you talk, Chief, a little bit about these Indecent Exposure charges that started this ball rolling?

SR: I can speak about that. Jimmy? Do you want me to speak about that? Our solicitor's having a… you don't want us to speak about those charges right now?

JR: I'd rather not.

SR: Okay, okay.

Q: What (unintelligible) murder charges (unintelligible)?

SR: Um, yes, we have had some additional evidence that we located during the search that led us to the... giving us probable cause for the murder charge.

Q: Chief, that evidence was found inside the Moorers' home?

SR: On the Moorers' property. In the Moorer home and on their property, yes.

Q: Have you found Heather?

SR: No, we have not located Heather. That is something we are still looking for. We are still working on that.

Q: Are Sidney and Tammy Moorer cooperating with police, or are they denying these charges so far?

SR: They do have attorneys, and so we are working with their attorneys to establish communications at this time.

Q: Are you searching the property for a body at this point? Where are you looking?

SR: We were searching the property for any evidence that would lead us to probable cause in this case, a body included, but any evidence that could assist us in prosecution of this case.

Q: So, Chief, what leads you to murder charges as opposed to Heather Elvis just missing? I'm assuming there was something in that house that indicated a murder had taken place.

SR: Obviously, the investigation is still ongoing. We will say that the evidence that we located there led to the charge of murder.

Then she looked around and there were apparently no further questions, so the press conference ended. And now that the gag order is in place I'm acutely aware every missed opportunity to elicit even one more smidgen of info.

Parsing the bolded part, it sounds like something found inside the house contributed to probable cause for the murder charges, and something else found outside the house also contributed to probable cause for the murder charges. That's... kind of interesting to think about. At least two pieces of evidence in two different locations on the M property?

I don't think anyone has posted a transcript of the press conference announcing the murder charges against SM/TM, so here it is for reference purposes. It was very short and to the point:

Press Conference with Horry County Police Chief Saundra Rhodes, February 24, 2013

http://www.wbtw.com/story/24804575/murder-charges-added-for-horry-county-couple-in-connection-with-heather-elvis-case

SR: Good morning. As Lt. Kegler said, we just want to give you an update on this case. I'll start from the beginning for you. On December 19, 2013, Heather Elvis' vehicle was found at Peachtree Landing. On December 20, when she was reported missing by her family, a full investigation was launched by the Horry County Police Department Major Crimes Unit. A seven-agency task force was then formed to investigate the disappearance of Heather Elvis. On February 21, as a result of the investigation, a search warrant was conducted at the home of Sidney and Tammy Moorer. Sidney and Tammy Moorer were taken into custody and charged with one count of Obstruction of Justice and two counts of Indecent Exposure on the following day. On February 23, both Sidney and Tammy Moorer were charged with kidnapping in connection with the disappearance of Heather Elvis. On today's date, Sidney and Tammy Moorer will be charged with the murder of Heather Elvis, and a bond hearing for that murder charge will be held the week of March 17, and that is because it requires a circuit court judge to set bond on a murder charge. Do we have any questions?

Q: Can you talk, Chief, a little bit about these Indecent Exposure charges that started this ball rolling?

SR: I can speak about that. Jimmy? Do you want me to speak about that? Our solicitor's having a… you don't want us to speak about those charges right now?

JR: I'd rather not.

SR: Okay, okay.

Q: What (unintelligible) murder charges (unintelligible)?

SR: Um, yes, we have had some additional evidence that we located during the search that led us to the... giving us probable cause for the murder charge.

Q: Chief, that evidence was found inside the Moorers' home?

SR: On the Moorers' property. In the Moorer home and on their property, yes.

Q: Have you found Heather?

SR: No, we have not located Heather. That is something we are still looking for. We are still working on that.

Q: Are Sidney and Tammy Moorer cooperating with police, or are they denying these charges so far?

SR: They do have attorneys, and so we are working with their attorneys to establish communications at this time.

Q: Are you searching the property for a body at this point? Where are you looking?

SR: We were searching the property for any evidence that would lead us to probable cause in this case, a body included, but any evidence that could assist us in prosecution of this case.

Q: So, Chief, what leads you to murder charges as opposed to Heather Elvis just missing? I'm assuming there was something in that house that indicated a murder had taken place.

SR: Obviously, the investigation is still ongoing. We will say that the evidence that we located there led to the charge of murder.

Then she looked around and there were apparently no further questions, so the press conference ended. And now that the gag order is in place I'm acutely aware every missed opportunity to elicit even one more smidgen of info.

Parsing the bolded part, it sounds like something found inside the house contributed to probable cause for the murder charges, and something else found outside the house also contributed to probable cause for the murder charges. That's... kind of interesting to think about. At least two pieces of evidence in two different locations on the M property?

After the presser, I typed up a partial transcript and posted it. For some reason I thought it had a little bit more in it that made me definitely think le obtained good evidence n the Moorer property - be it in their house, camper or truck. I'll look for it and we can compare the wording. I remember thinking they must have gotten evidence with heathers DNA on it or something...

I can't the transcript that I was talking about but I did find the partial one. If definitely makes me think that even though the evidence might be small, it must be significant bc it totally changed their charges from kidnapping to murder. It's the same thing as what OkieGranny has above. I'm copying my post from another thread...

2 important snippets from the press conference informing when the Moorer's were being charged with murder... (I typed exactly how the chief talked, I think she may have been nervous with all those cameras in her face.)

2/24 Press Conference video at link:

http://www.wmbfnews.com/category/24...art=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=9875392

CHIEF: Um yes. We have had additional evidence that we have located during the search to the giving us probable cause for the murder charge.

REPORTER: Chief, that evidence was found inside the Moorer's home?

CHIEF: Um on the Moorer's property, inside the home and on their property. Yes.

REPORTER: So chief, what leads you to murder charges as opposed to Heather Elvis just missing? I'm assuming there was something in that house that indicated a murder had taken place?

CHIEF: Um I, Obviously the investigation is still ongoing. Um we will say that the evidence that we located there um led to the murder to the uh charge of the murder inves of murder. Sorry.

BBM

So referring to the bolded stuff, doesn't it seem as though le obtained evidence, sent it in for testing, and once results came back they charged the Moorers with murder?

Why is there such doubt that LE has obtained enough evidence that has convinced the Solicitor of Horry County to litigate this case and go to trial on Murder 1? The grand jury also indicted the M's. This case is moving forward.

What we've seen in 1 hearing is a tiny snippet of their evidence--just enough to demonstrate to the judge why these 2 people should not have gotten released on bond. And yet, for some reason, it's thought that this is all the state has, despite the corroboration of folks who know how cases proceed.

The state is not showing all their cards. Why would they? Why would they release all of that before a trial? Why would they release anything they didn't have to, before a trial?

They have more evidence. You can count on that. Whether that evidence will convince a jury guilt BARD is always the question, and it's always a risk. But rest assured, the state had enough to charge the M's with murder and it is more than what we, the public, know.

Why is there such doubt that LE has obtained enough evidence that has convinced the Solicitor of Horry County to litigate this case and go to trial on Murder 1? The grand jury also indicted the M's. This case is moving forward.

What we've seen in 1 hearing is a tiny snippet of their evidence--just enough to demonstrate to the judge why these 2 people should not have gotten released on bond. And yet, for some reason, it's thought that this is all the state has, despite the corroboration of folks who know how cases proceed.

The state is not showing all their cards. Why would they? Why would they release all of that before a trial? Why would they release anything they didn't have to, before a trial?

They have more evidence. You can count on that. Whether that evidence will convince a jury guilt BARD is always the question, and it's always a risk. But rest assured, the state had enough to charge the M's with murder and it is more than what we, the public, know.

I agree. Can't speak for anyone else but I personally don't doubt the amount of evidence le has. I just hope they prove their case.

why is there such doubt that le has obtained enough evidence that has convinced the solicitor of horry county to litigate this case and go to trial on murder 1? The grand jury also indicted the m's. This case is moving forward.

They have more evidence. You can count on that. Whether that evidence will convince a jury guilt bard is always the question, and it's always a risk. But rest assured, the state had enough to charge the m's with murder and it is more than what we, the public, know.

perfectly said !!! Imo

So referring to the bolded stuff, doesn't it seem as though le obtained evidence, sent it in for testing, and once results came back they charged the Moorers with murder?

Yeah, and it had to be something definitive to give probable cause to charge them with Heather's murder. Proof that she was most likely dead and that TM/SM most likely killed her. But what kind of evidence only takes a few days to test? DNA results don't usually come back that quickly, so what could the evidence be? A knocked-out tooth? Heather's own bloody fingerprints?

Madeleine74, I believe the prosecution does have sufficient evidence to convict, and we probably only know a fraction of it at this point. I'm asking what the evidence could be that LE found in the house and on the property that allowed them to move forward with the murder charges within days of the search. We have to find *something* to talk about amongst ourselves or these threads will fade away due to lack of activity.

It's possible it's the journal entries and the Elvis's pictures amoungst other things LE recovered during the search that gave LE the confidence they need in this case.

I seriously would not worry about the case or the prosecutor presenting the case. Try to have some faith and confidence. A trial is at least a year away, and that is a long time to be anxious about something we have no control over anyway.

I seriously would not worry about the case or the prosecutor presenting the case. Try to have some faith and confidence. A trial is at least a year away, and that is a long time to be anxious about something we have no control over anyway.

Good advice. I do not doubt that LE has good evidence.
I'm chewing at the bit to know what the evidence is but am sure murder charges were made because evidence was found.

You're right..... people can't be but so anxious waiting for the trial to begin.

Good advice. I do not doubt that LE has good evidence.
I'm chewing at the bit to know what the evidence is but am sure murder charges were made because evidence was found.

You're right..... people can't be but so anxious waiting for the trial to begin.

I think they found something with Heather's DNA on it. Something that led to a murder charge aft they searched their house, camper & truck. I'll bet it was something that Tammy & Sidney will have a hard time explaining away.

Yeah, and it had to be something definitive to give probable cause to charge them with Heather's murder. Proof that she was most likely dead and that TM/SM most likely killed her. But what kind of evidence only takes a few days to test? DNA results don't usually come back that quickly, so what could the evidence be? A knocked-out tooth? Heather's own bloody fingerprints?

Madeleine74, I believe the prosecution does have sufficient evidence to convict, and we probably only know a fraction of it at this point. I'm asking what the evidence could be that LE found in the house and on the property that allowed them to move forward with the murder charges within days of the search. We have to find *something* to talk about amongst ourselves or these threads will fade away due to lack of activity.

At first I was wondering if it was a spot of blood or piece of hair that belonged to Heather, but then I started wondering if it was part of her clothing or something that she had on her the night she went missing. They searched Tammy & Sidney's house twice, right? Maybe they found something the first time and the results came back around the time they were searching the second time. Idk, just thinking maybe. Or maybe when they went back to search the second time, they found something that belonged to Heather but there was proof of death on it. Too farfetched, huh? Idk.

Do you think these perps actually put a lifeless Heather in the back of a truck and a camera caught the picture?
I just saw that on forensic files and thought the M's might of made the same mistake.
also as brazen as TM was/is.........she might of kept a trophy to blackmail SM into never leaving her and reminding him of what he did!! Just wondering .........

Do you think these perps actually put a lifeless Heather in the back of a truck and a camera caught the picture?
I just saw that on forensic files and thought the M's might of made the same mistake.
also as brazen as TM was/is.........she might of kept a trophy to blackmail SM into never leaving her and reminding him of what he did!! Just wondering .........

I wonder this as well but I was wondering more about the toolbox. Sidney's truck has a toolbox, right?

We know they found DNA evidence of some kind, but they are not saying what it is or exactly where they found it. One reporter tweeted a snippet saying LE found DNA in the black truck. That was not confirmed officially by anyone in LE. It has been posted multiple times and chewed over and discussed in various threads here.

Police did say "DNA" was part of this case, but that's as far as they went.

They are simply not going to release details of their case. Even if they didn't have a gag order they still wouldn't tell the public.

We'll find out during the trial. And that's just how it goes.

I think they found something with Heather's DNA on it. Something that led to a murder charge aft they searched their house, camper & truck. I'll bet it was something that Tammy & Sidney will have a hard time explaining away.

Yes, agreed Heather's DNA was likely found in something owned by the M's such as a truck , the house, etc.
Can you imagine the M's bumbling around for words trying to explain something evidence wise that wasn't suppose to be found?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjberry5954
Back