Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacques had alledgedly mention being estranged from his father, so his family might not have known he was missing. As for the woman her family may have attempted to report her missing, but in that era, LE probably would have refused to take a missing person's report on an adult if there was evidence of a crime and the relatives didn't know whence she went missing.

Yes, I agree. Thing's were different then. Well, even now, we see families fighting for their loved one to be searched for and it isn't taken seriously. This could well be the case for this girl.

They sure are two of the many missing missing persons.

They could be from anywhere but in a way they look so Greek to me.....On 20 July 1974 there was a Turkish military invasion of Cyprus and lot of people where killed/went missing and a lot of them are never found (or fleed the Island I guess when you had enough money). http://www.missing-cy.org/

In 1974 there was also an uprising in Portugal against the essentially fascist dictatorship which had ruled the country since the 1930s.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnation_Revolution

If we are to look at possible European sources for these two individuals then it's possible they had been political exiles from Partugal's fascist regime but hadn't returned to Portugal afterwards.

On the other hand, they may have been linked to that regime and got out of the country in 1974 in case it turned ugly, eg a communist type regime that might hunt down members of the former one.

That might also account for the generally "Mediterranean" look of the Does.

Another thing going on during the summer of 1976 was the summer Olympics in Montreal. The closing ceremonies were on August first, per wikipedia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Summer_Olympics). I remember there being many more French-Canadian tourists than usual because they all got out of town while the Olympics were being held; many of them had rented their house or apartment to Olympic visitors. (I made friends with one of them while they were camped at the KOA down the road from us.) And then after the games ended, there was an influx of tourists from all over the world as visitors took advantage of being in North America to visit other tourist sites.

A $200.00 dollar ring back in the 70's was a LOT of money.

O/T but Tulessa, I love your comment in your sig about the duty of the living. Perfect for this thread, amongst others. :heartbeat:

Tulessa is definitely a Top Tier sleuth here. Glad to know you're, Tulessa!

I don't think the ring was over $200 and may have been closer to $30. I've known people who would engrave a $30 ring, especially if engraving it were free at the time of purchase.
Someone had seen the two on a motorcycle, and if the motive for the murder was theft, they may have been killed for that bike.
It's just as likely they were killed for something petty, like laughing at the wrong person or trespassing on the wrong person's property, or for something they witnessed.

I wish I could remember prices back then, but I was only 11. I started buying my own clothes at 12, can't recall how much jeans were lol I started buying silver jewelry at 13 or 14, was very cheap $5 for a bracelet.

I did some googling, want to leave my links below for another day. I'm not finding an exact stone.

Closest I could find was on ebay - Vintage 6ct Natural Brown Star Sapphire 14k Yellow Gold Mens Ring Band US $485.00

NamUs UP # 13772 - direct link to ring photo 14K gold ring Florentine finish gray or linde star sapphire w/ "JPF" engraved

Ebay ring next to John Doe's ring
attachment.php
attachment.php

I found a link to gold prices which will show how much gold has gone up since 1975. I wish we knew how much wear his ring has.

200 Years of Gold Prices Historical gold prices since 1792
We'll say 1975
Guide Year - Close - Change
1975 - $139.29 - -24.20%
2015 - $1,060.00 - -11.6 %

Google searches
brown linde star mens ring 14K gold
gray linde star sapphire mens ring 14K gold Florentine finish
brown linde star sapphire mens ring 14K gold Florentine finish
brown linde star sapphire mens ring 14K gold
Cabochon Brown Star Sapphire Men's Ring
VINTAGE Signed LINDE LINDY Honey Brown Star Sapphire - Vintage item from the 1970s

Attachments

• 11192016Vintage6ctNaturalBrownSapphire14kYellowGoldFace.jpg
    11192016Vintage6ctNaturalBrownSapphire14kYellowGoldFace.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 229
  • BrownLindeStarRing.JPG
    BrownLindeStarRing.JPG
    15 KB · Views: 234
Yes

He's tried that too, plus I contacted Todd Matthews.

A while ago I asked Karl's opinion, but he is quite sure that this is not Jock Doe. Not to be disrepectful but I'm still not 100% convinced that he is not.

A while ago I asked Karl's opinion, but he is quite sure that this is not Jock Doe. Not to be disrepectful but I'm still not 100% convinced that he is not.
Are you talking about Richard Damasse Riquier? I don't see a resemblance. Have you looked at the actual crime scene photos of Jacques?

Are you talking about Richard Damasse Riquier? I don't see a resemblance. Have you looked at the actual crime scene photos of Jacques?

Yes, I did; crimescene, before embalming, after embalming...even between those photos there is a big difference, knowing it's the same person. (not to mention the -sometimes confusing- reconstructions) I have seen photos here of identified persons compared to their "real life" photos and you would never think it was the same person. So I'm very cautious in saying if somebody could be a match or not. More eyes see more and different things and that is a good thing. So thank you. You sound very sure.

Hi, first post here, I find the Sumter County couple's story so sad and troubling. I have been wondering about the "Canadian doctor dad" clue and the ring with "JPF" initials. Does anyone know the famous doctor's name? I found a famous doctor from Montreal with the initials JPF. In the doctor's necrology it says he leaves behind 2 sons and a daughter. The second son's first name's initial is JA. Maybe he had another child name after him with initials JP? I am no longer member on Ancestry, so I can't just look right now at the birth registry for the doctor and his wife. Maybe someone's is a member of Ancestry? Otherwise I am willing to go to Montreal Archives Library and check it out, just so I can stop being obsessed about it.

Hi, first post here, I find the Sumter County couple's story so sad and troubling. I have been wondering about the "Canadian doctor dad" clue and the ring with "JPF" initials. Does anyone know the famous doctor's name? I found a famous doctor from Montreal with the initials JPF. In the doctor's necrology it says he leaves behind 2 sons and a daughter. The second son's first name's initial is JA. Maybe he had another child name after him with initials JP? I am no longer member on Ancestry, so I can't just look right now at the birth registry for the doctor and his wife. Maybe someone's is a member of Ancestry? Otherwise I am willing to go to Montreal Archives Library and check it out, just so I can stop being obsessed about it.

Hi there...
If I recall right somewhere in this threath must be some information on a doctor from Canada, they contacted. But this man stated that he did not have a son. I'm not a member of Ancestry, but I'm sure somebody else here is. Maybe you are on the right track....

Hi there...
If I recall right somewhere in this threath must be some information on a doctor from Canada, they contacted. But this man stated that he did not have a son. I'm not a member of Ancestry, but I'm sure somebody else here is. Maybe you are on the right track....

Doesn't Ancestry do a period of free access around Turkey Day? From memory, in previous years it has run from Thanksgiving Day until the following Sunday.

Doesn't Ancestry do a period of free access around Turkey Day? From memory, in previous years it has run from Thanksgiving Day until the following Sunday.

Read the fine print. I've been told that cancelling at the end of the advertised time is, um, difficult.

FamilySearch is no-cost but I don't read French language documents competently.

Ancestry.com has the DNA kits on sale until November 28th. They are $69.00, usually $99.00.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If you are LDS, you can get a free Ancestry.com membership, if you have a familysearch account.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Could you share the doctor's name? I believe I can get access to ancestry.com at my local library. (My French is poor, so there may not be much that I can do with records from Montreal.)
If you happen to go to the Montreal archives, could you look up Jacques Fiset? He was a well-known dentist back in the 70s--something of a pioneer in prosthodontics--and Jacques had a good deal of cutting-edge dental work.

Hello to everyone!

I'm in incredible suspense concerning the FINAL DNA RESULTS.

In reading through hundreds of posts, I'm confused if the results of the testing were ever revealed. I see where the coroner repeatedly called the lab, only to discover the samples were constantly pushed aside.

I did read that somewhere it was determined that the couple were not brother and sister. Was an ethnicity ever determined?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper