Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I said the ring is somewhat expensive.

But it depends on the quality of the ring. When I looked up the star sapphires, they were anywhere between 200 and 2000 dollars, just depending on the quality.

I mean I dont know anyone who engraves a 30 dollar ring, but that could just be the people I associate with.

So I found those 2 doctors so far in Quebec. They'd already passed on, but I dont know about either of them being associated with JPF. I see one who had a brother named Jacques, but not a son. I'm starting to wonder if there is a chance the ring was just stolen from somewhere?

But it depends on the quality of the ring. When I looked up the star sapphires, they were anywhere between 200 and 2000 dollars, just depending on the quality.

I mean I dont know anyone who engraves a 30 dollar ring, but that could just be the people I associate with.

So I found those 2 doctors so far in Quebec. They'd already passed on, but I dont know about either of them being associated with JPF. I see one who had a brother named Jacques, but not a son. I'm starting to wonder if there is a chance the ring was just stolen from somewhere?
I don't think the ring was over $200 and may have been closer to $30. I've known people who would engrave a $30 ring, especially if engraving it were free at the time of purchase.
Someone had seen the two on a motorcycle, and if the motive for the murder was theft, they may have been killed for that bike.
It's just as likely they were killed for something petty, like laughing at the wrong person or trespassing on the wrong person's property, or for something they witnessed.

I don't think the ring was over $200 and may have been closer to $30. I've known people who would engrave a $30 ring, especially if engraving it were free at the time of purchase.
Someone had seen the two on a motorcycle, and if the motive for the murder was theft, they may have been killed for that bike.
It's just as likely they were killed for something petty, like laughing at the wrong person or trespassing on the wrong person's property, or for something they witnessed.
Sorry, I didnt mean they were killed for the ring, or for stealing the ring, I just meant I have yet to find the elusive JPF.

Sorry, I didnt mean they were killed for the ring, or for stealing the ring, I just meant I have yet to find the elusive JPF.
I didn't think you meant they were killed for the ring. I mentioned the motorcycle because in comparison to the motorcycle, the jewelry the two had was probably inconsequential. I am sure they were killed by Lonnie Henry, his son, or his brother. I would like to know if any one of those three was in possession of a newly-acquired motorcycle in 1977. Even if it wasn't the motive for the killing, it might have been kept. If it was abandoned somewhere, it might have been sold in a police auction.

Such a strange case... if the guy was a son of a doctor and was traveling, we assume that the family had resources to look for their son if he didn't come back from his trip, right?
The more time passes the harder it gets to identify anybody... I doubt that this case will ever be solved

My father engraved everything back then.

The best suggestion I've seen was the car racing theory. Would have to do a search to find it. Something happened, they were killed because of it.
Did we have tox results?

I didn't think you meant they were killed for the ring. I mentioned the motorcycle because in comparison to the motorcycle, the jewelry the two had was probably inconsequential. I am sure they were killed by Lonnie Henry, his son, or his brother. I would like to know if any one of those three was in possession of a newly-acquired motorcycle in 1977. Even if it wasn't the motive for the killing, it might have been kept. If it was abandoned somewhere, it might have been sold in a police auction.

Agree. We don't know what happened to the bike.

Such a strange case... if the guy was a son of a doctor and was traveling, we assume that the family had resources to look for their son if he didn't come back from his trip, right?
The more time passes the harder it gets to identify anybody... I doubt that this case will ever be solved

If they are from Canada, that could be why we haven't heard of them. Canadian police are not as interested in solving cases as the US.

Sorry, I dont know anyone who engraved things! Possibly just where I come from, it's a small area in Canada, so we dont have too many jewelers/engravers who would do it for a cheap price.

If they are from Canada, that could be why we haven't heard of them. Canadian police are not as interested in solving cases as the US.

Yipes!! I doubt that's true. However, if the couple found in SC in 1976 are the couple who were missing from QC, then the logistics of doing an investigation across the border, with the additional challenge of the language barrier, could very well mean that a cooperative effort at solving the case was thwarted years ago.

Yipes!! I doubt that's true. However, if the couple found in SC in 1976 are the couple who were missing from QC, then the logistics of doing an investigation across the border, with the additional challenge of the language barrier, could very well mean that a cooperative effort at solving the case was thwarted years ago.
I think a joint investigation would be doable nowadays. The language barrier is easily over come, even I can speak French well enough to understand someone if they speak slowly, plus, Google Translate is awesome. Even though it wasn't in Quebec, the recent joint venture between the US and Canada in the Yoanna Cyr case gives me some hope that our officials can work together. My chief complaint against the Canadian way of dealing with missing persons is that they won't build a DNA profile just to have it on file, like we do in CODIS. They will only collect DNA when they think they have a potential match. That's my understanding, anyway.

I think a joint investigation would be doable nowadays. The language barrier is easily over come, even I can speak French well enough to understand someone if they speak slowly, plus, Google Translate is awesome. Even though it wasn't in Quebec, the recent joint venture between the US and Canada in the Yoanna Cyr case gives me some hope that our officials can work together. My chief complaint against the Canadian way of dealing with missing persons is that they won't build a DNA profile just to have it on file, like we do in CODIS. They will only collect DNA when they think they have a potential match. That's my understanding, anyway.

The wheels are turning, but s l o w l y, imo, speculation.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...for-missing-indigenous-women/article23221815/

Planned Canadian DNA data bank will fall short of gold standard as tool in search for missing indigenous women

Kathryn Blaze Baum and Renata D’Aliesio
The Globe and Mail
Jan. 06, 2016
Canada’s much-anticipated DNA data bank for linking missing persons with unidentified remains has been heralded as a powerful new tool to identify the nameless and help put killers behind bars. The Conservative government has also touted the data bank as a way to bring some closure to families of missing aboriginal women whose loved ones may, in fact, be dead – their unclaimed remains buried in unmarked graves or stored at coroners’ offices in cardboard boxes. But a Globe and Mail investigation has found that plans for the data bank fall far short of the system in the United States, which American and Canadian experts deem a gold standard. This means fewer cold cases could be solved, fewer people could be identified and fewer criminals could be brought to justice.
The RCMP have not yet presented police agencies, coroners and medical examiners with a plan for the data bank, which passed into legislation last year and is expected to launch in the spring of 2017. But the federal police service revealed to The Globe that Ottawa will not pay for DNA testing in missing-persons and unidentified-remains cases, as Washington does. In Canada, it will also be up to police and death investigators to decide which types of DNA to profile, while in the U.S. a centralized lab always attempts to analyze two types. The Canadian approach means the country’s data bank will not be as well-populated or as consistent as the one in the U.S.
rbbm

Thanks for the update, Dot. The part you put in bold is a bit of a concern, because I'm of the belief if you're not going to do something right, don't bother doing it at all because it will be a waste of time and money. Unless all Canadian agencies are on the same page, it's not going to be of much use, but it is a step in the right direction, nonetheless. As you said, the wheels are turning. I'd still like to see some sort of joint database of some kind between the US and Canada where they can deposit their samples to run against our UIDs, too. Baby steps, I guess.

The wheels are turning, but s l o w l y, imo, speculation.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...for-missing-indigenous-women/article23221815/

Planned Canadian DNA data bank will fall short of gold standard as tool in search for missing indigenous women

Kathryn Blaze Baum and Renata D’Aliesio
The Globe and Mail
Jan. 06, 2016

rbbm
Yes, thanks this is what I was also trying to say earlier on in this thread. Unfortunately, it was even worse in the 1970's. I recently posted a case here of a young man who was reported missing and the police didn't even list him as missing until 6 months ago. Actually, he isnt even on their website I don't think, they are waiting until the databank is in place. Which, who knows when that will be. Even so, many of the DNA procedures from now and the 2000's are completely different. I read another article about how there is a case with dna, but it can't be submitted into the system because it was processed differently at the time and is not compatable with the current software. They used up all of the DNA at that time, so they dont have more to make another sample.

How many cases are there going to be like that?

I just feel so sad for the victims family's. I know LE are doing there best, but we really need to get some national systems in place. They only recently made a system to search cases at a national level and looking just in Quebec alone I found many cases that werent on the RCMP website. I hope that too changes soon.

If this couple is from Quebec and they havent been found, lets hope in the next few years we will get the databank and this case can possibly be solved.

I agree with much of what has been said here, and I believe the problems are best summed with "communication." Too many of these cases never go anywhere because of human decisions not to "share" information along with the sheer number of cases in ration to the number questionable cases and the number of Law Enforcement Officers assigned to these cases (maybe because of costs associated). When someone goes missing, it is just as possible that there are anti-force efforts to keep things "unknown"-- maybe more people than are "searching" for the missing--those are brought to someone's attention, and MIGHT MAKE IT ONTO A DATABASE. IMO, very few people really go missing only because they die of natural causes after living like a hermit. Most people have someone who actually wonders what happened to them, but may not fit into LE's next-of-kin requirement; or, the kinfolk already know what happened but want to keep the information to themselves.

Sometimes a falling out can be permanent. I know of a man (a local judge) who disowned his daughter because she married a black man. So far as I know, he never associated with her again. I can see a hard-nosed father permanently disowning his son if that son refused to follow the career path that his father wanted him to follow. I doubt that would happen much now in the US or Canada, but that was a less touchy-feely era.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm amazed at the number of these older cases that have been solved lately, even ones deemed low in NamUs.
The trend I've noticed is either the cases were under-reported where the MP was reported missing to LE but it went nowhere, got lost, etc, or not reported at all. This is just my observation, but I've only been on WS for less than a year so maybe this is a normal amount of id's made? IDK, but I hope the trend keeps up where more cases like these are solved, beating the odds.

Sometimes a falling out can be permanent. I know of a man (a local judge) who disowned his daughter because she married a black man. So far as I know, he never associated with her again. I can see a hard-nosed father permanently disowning his son if that son refused to follow the career path that his father wanted him to follow. I doubt that would happen much now in the US or Canada, but that was a less touchy-feely era.

You're correct, that's how it was back then. So very different then it is now. If someone weren't alive back then, they surely would not believe how different things were.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm amazed at the number of these older cases that have been solved lately, even ones deemed low in NamUs.
The trend I've noticed is either the cases were under-reported where the MP was reported missing to LE but it went nowhere, got lost, etc, or not reported at all. This is just my observation, but I've only been on WS for less than a year so maybe this is a normal amount of id's made? IDK, but I hope the trend keeps up where more cases like these are solved, beating the odds.

I'm heart broken to say that “The Office of Justice Programs (OJP), National Institute of Justice (NIJ) has made the decision to discontinue funding for the Using DNA Technology to Identify the Missing award after this year. We're going to need people to write emails to hopefully get the funding back. I'll try to put the info into a blog later.

I'm heart broken to say that “The Office of Justice Programs (OJP), National Institute of Justice (NIJ) has made the decision to discontinue funding for the Using DNA Technology to Identify the Missing award after this year. We're going to need people to write emails to hopefully get the funding back. I'll try to put the info into a blog later.
(snipped by me for clarity)
Whoa, what? What does this mean, exactly?

I agree. Or the other way, my fiancé has chosen to not have anything to do with his family after year long feuds. They now haven't spoken for over a year and they would have no idea he was missing if he was or if he even left the area. Its very sad as their still his parents and they seem to have just accepted this.

(snipped by me for clarity)
Whoa, what? What does this mean, exactly?

It means no more new DNA profiles attached to NamUs cases entered in 2017. The funding is what paid for the DNA kits and for them to be processed etc

It means no more new DNA profiles attached to NamUs cases entered in 2017. The funding is what paid for the DNA kits and for them to be processed etc

Will they still be updating CODIS for UIDs/MPs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiend_nyx