Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - #7 Pam Buckley & James P Freund

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have wondered about this for years. From what I remember reading the Step Dad thought Jane was their daughter but the Mom did not. Is there a record of their names or their missing daughter's name?
I sure hope someone in LE has revisited that possibility.

I'm not acquainted with this spreadsheet thing. Can you explain what it is all about just briefly lol.
Each "Doe" has their own column.
Between every grey line underneath a doe, there are updates since the last one.
The only thing important really is the bottom line, "cM of Top Match," which shows how close a relative they are.
The second to last line shows how many relatives have uploaded a family tree, which would be very helpful for DDP.
Top line shows how many has "opted in" on GEDmatch since the previous update.
Admixture and Oracle shows geographical areas of their ancestors/ relatives.

Each "Doe" has their own column.
Between every grey line underneath a doe, there are updates since the last one.
The only thing important really is the bottom line, "cM of Top Match," which shows how close a relative they are.
The second to last line shows how many relatives have uploaded a family tree, which would be very helpful for DDP.
Top line shows how many has "opted in" on GEDmatch since the previous update.
Admixture and Oracle shows geographical areas of their ancestors/ relatives.
Thanks for the explanation, that is so cool!

I've wondered if Jock Doe could possibly be Robert Preston Hall, who is missing from Arlington Virginia in January of 1976. There aren't any photos of RPH, but the hair and eye color and approximate height match. However, the weight is off. Anyway, I'm sure it will be solved in the near the future. The reason I wondered this is because Jock Doe and I have very similar admixtures and I am very near to Virginia.

I've wondered if Jock Doe could possibly be Robert Preston Hall, who is missing from Arlington Virginia in January of 1976. There aren't any photos of RPH, but the hair and eye color and approximate height match. However, the weight is off. Anyway, I'm sure it will be solved in the near the future. The reason I wondered this is because Jock Doe and I have very similar admixtures and I am very near to Virginia.
VA - VA - Robert Preston Hall, 18, Arlington, Jan 14, 1976
''Height: 6' 4" (76 Inches)
Weight: 235 lbs''

SUMTER MYSTERY COUPLE....WHO ARE THEY?
980021755632381b43ded286eabbc990

Composite courtesy of Carl Koppelman
CLUES:
1. The John Doe was wearing a linde star ring with the initials "JPF" inscribed in it.
2. The John Doe had a pack of matches from "Grant's" truck stop. There are three Grant's truck stops in the US; (York, NE), (Lupton, AZ) and (boise, ID).
3. A mechanic in York, NE stated he thought he had worked on a van with WA or OR plates that matched the couple's description.
4. The Jane Doe has two distinctive moles on her left cheek.
5. The John Doe had a "1975 IMSA( International Motor Sports Association) Camel GT" shirt from the 1975 IMSA Sebring race in Florida. This shirt was only sold at the Florida Sebring race. Some people have speculated that the John Doe might have a connection to IMSA racing. In fact, the weekend the couple was murdered there was an IMSA race at Talladega Motor Speedway. It be might be possible they attended the race and were on their way back home.

I think it is worth reposting this information that dotr posted earlier in the thread. It brings into focus many of the important points that some of us might've lost track of by now. It is interesting about the mechanic who said he worked on this couple's van (which to me kind of signals that the Arlington guy missing isn't this guy, although could still be!) in New England, which is close to our Canadian border of course. Also that the matches could've been from NE as well. So this at least places the couple in that area. I also wondered if there was any mention of the UID male having a french accent by those who ran into him (the mechanic, holiday camp owner)? I can't recall, but if so, it would lean towards a Quebec connection.

I think it is worth reposting this information that dotr posted earlier in the thread. It brings into focus many of the important points that some of us might've lost track of by now. It is interesting about the mechanic who said he worked on this couple's van (which to me kind of signals that the Arlington guy missing isn't this guy, although could still be!) in New England, which is close to our Canadian border of course. Also that the matches could've been from NE as well. So this at least places the couple in that area. I also wondered if there was any mention of the UID male having a french accent by those who ran into him (the mechanic, holiday camp owner)? I can't recall, but if so, it would lean towards a Quebec connection.

NE - Nebraska is it not?

I'm Canadian so I could be wrong on that, but New England is not a state but a geographical area in the US North east. I'm reading the above link from DOTR as a mechanic in Nebraska worked on the van and thought it bore Oregon or Washington plates - which is in the US North west and quite removed from Quebec. Nebraska is in the central mid-west. One thing seems certain to me in all of this: these two got around and IMO, were travelling in a vehicle which has disappeared as well. I suspect they picked up the wrong passenger and paid for it with their lives.

Edit to add: NE is indeed Nebraska

International Programs - Two- Letter State Abbreviations (ssa.gov)

NE - Nebraska is it not?

I'm Canadian so I could be wrong on that, but New England is not a state but a geographical area in the US North east. I'm reading the above link from DOTR as a mechanic in Nebraska worked on the van and thought it bore Oregon or Washington plates - which is in the US North west and quite removed from Quebec. Nebraska is in the central mid-west. One thing seems certain to me in all of this: these two got around and IMO, were travelling in a vehicle which has disappeared as well. I suspect they picked up the wrong passenger and paid for it with their lives.

Edit to add: NE is indeed Nebraska

International Programs - Two- Letter State Abbreviations (ssa.gov)
OIC re. Nebraska lol, ok. and yes, that's what I think they picked up wrong person too. Some think it is drug related, due to various factors which could also be the case. As far as the Quebec factor, I suppose they could have travelled from Quebec across Canada then on south to Washington. It would be a long drive. If they had crossed the border though you would think there would've been records of that, even back then.

I don't know, but I don't see those two moles on her face that are always mentioned in JD's description. Being a Canadian, I have scoured practically every missing person site online and I just don't see either one of them on any lists.

I don't know, but I don't see those two moles on her face that are always mentioned in JD's description. Being a Canadian, I have scoured practically every missing person site online and I just don't see either one of them on any lists.

There are two small moles just above and to the left side of her mouth.

Attachments

• Sumter_County_Jane_Doe_Body.jpg
    Sumter_County_Jane_Doe_Body.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 19

That's the thing that bothered me as well, but the sepia picture of her shows what could be blemishes or shadow where the moles would be. When I put a b/w filter on it, it did look like it could be the 2 moles...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 11.03.01 PM 2.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-11-27 at 11.03.01 PM 2.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 18
  • Sumter_County_Jane_Doe_Body.jpg
    Sumter_County_Jane_Doe_Body.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 17
That's the thing that bothered me as well, but the sepia picture of her shows what could be blemishes or shadow where the moles would be. When I put a b/w filter on it, it did look like it could be the 2 moles...

Oh ok. But I just don't see much general resemblance to the JD. However, don't go by what I say! If others do, then it could be a possibility. I can't bring myself to look too closely at the PM photo, only the sketch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rythmico