Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope your child wasn't one of the ones caught on Regency. One of my son's friends has to go to driving school because he got ticketed there.

No, but he has a pair of shoes still in the mud at Regency. LOL He was 4 wheeling (which he was told not to do) with his friends, got stuck in the mud, had a friend come pull him out, but his shoes got so deep down in the mud he had to walk out of them and leave them. I was days looking for his new shoes before he told us. I am sure if the police got there before he got out he would be hiring an attorney to get him out of that ticket.

Too bad it wasn't like this when NC was left at a muddy site off Fielding. Who ever killed her couldn't deny it because their shoes would still be in the mud. That would have been perfect if that would have happened

I agree he certainly would not be inclined to agree to not having a key to the car. No way, unless it happened to disappear like those passports.

This passports and purse in the car thing has been bugging me for a while. I can understand someone leaving a purse in the car. I would not personally leave something of value in the car, but my wife has done it, so I have to say how I can see that could happen, but the passport thing is different.

I just recently got a passport, and like most things that I would not like to have fall in the wrong hands, I am very careful about where it is kept. While Cary is a safe place, cars can and do get broken into, I might be a little less concerned if the car was in a garage, but if left in the driveway, there is no way I would leave things like that in there.

My car has been broken into twice, once in Raleigh while parked there for only a few hours, once out of town overnight, and my wife's car was broken into once in a Raleigh garage near the courthouse. Maybe I have very little secure feeling about leaving stuff in a car, but this just does not seem reasonable to me. Unless you are planning for a quick exit.

I would put passports in a safe depost box, safe, fire proof box inside, etc. Not just leave 'em in a car parked outside.

CyberPro

Thought this was interesting :

http://www.squawkfox.com/2008/02/13/the-cost-of-doing-an-ironman-triathlon/

Brad's hobbies weren't exactly cheap - add in he has the gym membership he references and so on - he was equally capable of spending a fair amount of money that did not benefit his family in any way it seems.

cannot take credit for this link it was brought to my attention by some really good sleuthers. Thanks ! :)

I recently joined the Lifetime Fitness gym. It is a bit more pricey than the Y, but not a great lot more. I think the monthly dues are like $130 for a family membership, but this is with the join fee waived, which was over $1000 initially. Not sure if they had to pay this, or maybe get a Cisco Discount.

Other thing that sticks in my mind is, if they had all of these budget concerns, why not take the kids out of the pre-school?? This is an expense that could easily be eliminated, it is NOT required by the state, and can be costly. If NC was a SAHM, it looks like this would be a way to increase the available money per month.

CyberPro

I think the Coopers did not manage their money well. They would not have had any financial woes if they had done so -- a six figure income is more than adequate to support a family of four. The vast majority of families of that size manage to get the job done on far less income than that.

To me, it looks like money was used to keep up with the Jones' and to get back at one another. (By getting back at one another I mean that, for example, H spends a lot of money on X, so W feels justified spending a lot of money on Y.) Whatever was going on, the situation was way out of control in many respects, not just financially.

Respectfully,
RC

Other thing that sticks in my mind is, if they had all of these budget concerns, why not take the kids out of the pre-school?? This is an expense that could easily be eliminated, it is NOT required by the state, and can be costly. If NC was a SAHM, it looks like this would be a way to increase the available money per month.

CyberPro

CyberPro

You know - my 50 year old head was questioning the same thing... then I started remembering what it was like to be a young couple in the Triangle with little kids.

It's easy to be caught up in "yuppiness" (for lack of a better word) of the whole area ... we lived in Raleigh .. then Cary when my sons were small ... I remember especially when the older one was pre school age I felt it SO NECCESSARY that he go to a VERY GOOD pre school ... back then I was able to get him into one at a Methodist Church over near 5 points ... very yuppy ... laugh ... NOW I look at it and realize it probably wasn't that big of a deal ... So I can see how that the Coopers would NEVER cut that out for their kids ... Just like the neccessity of the flowers for the dance recital ... "it's the way it's done" ...

I seem to recall the Cooper girls were in preschool three to four mornings a week. My son is starting first grade but we were in a very well-regarded church preschool in an affluent ITB area of Raleigh. His tuition was about $175/month for three days and about $210/month for four days a week. An expense, yes, but not an extravagance, IMO. Our preschool was not just babysitting or daycare. Ours had a curriculum, teacher conferences, etc. I expect the ones the Coopers attended was similar. And most of the moms at ours were SAHMs.

Triangle Preschool Academy rates for 4 year olds --3 day/week is $315.00 per month.

The times are 9-1 pm. There is a waiting list, according to my friend, often there is a lottery type system to get in.

This is considered to be a "prestigous" program in this area.

Add to that figure above---a 2 day program for kids younger than 4 years old. There may be a sibling discount but that would typically be about 10-15%. I could easily see the monthly "daycare" figure (for 2 girls) equal to a nice monthly car payment. That is significant enough to me as a SAHM.

Wow, that would give me a bit of pause, expense-wise, and I work full-time. But still, if I don't really have other childcare costs, I wouldn't have trouble justifying it. But then, I'm not making car payments on a 45-50K car, either. Or training for ironmans.

Ok, been reading here for days. I just wanted to point out that I have had my pruse stolen and rifled through up the street while living in Cary. Guess what? Often I still leave my purse in the car and we never lock the car. My husband will actually leave his wallet and the car keys in the car. And this is after we have been broken into :)

Ok, been reading here for days. I just wanted to point out that I have had my pruse stolen and rifled through up the street while living in Cary. Guess what? Often I still leave my purse in the car and we never lock the car. My husband will actually leave his wallet and the car keys in the car. And this is after we have been broken into :)

Ditto..expect the break in part. I know people that leave their garage doors open all day. I know men that also leave their wallets in their cars here in Cary. This NEVER sounded odd to me.

Well, we were assuming the break in was a couple of teenagers, since they left all the really important stuff and just took the actual purse which was a nice leather job from that place in the mall and then they took my makeup and stuff. So, nothing that really "scared" us per say.

Also, regarding the roses for the recital and the like. It is VERY easy to become caught up in Cary. Having lived there all my life, my hubby will call me out when I start to worry that something will not live up to someone's standards. He has to retrain my ways of thinking after so many years of it :) Sure, you can live there and it never affect you, but you can get caught up in it if you let it happen to you.

If your purse was $1200 and the only $$$ you had to your name was in it would you still leave it in there at all hours? It appears NC couldn't afford to go out and buy another one right away.
We got broken into as well and just the trouble to replace all the items is not a picnic in the park. Our vehicle had a short in the alarm system so we couldn't lock our car at the time.

We discussed the purse last night trying to figure out if NC left it there or did BC place it there and the motive behind it if BC did it.

I have a question and I don't want you to take it the wrong way, I'm not trying to be rude, but WHY would you leave your purse in an unlocked car?? And why would your husband leave his wallet in a car that has previously been broken into?? I realize the majority of the crime here in Cary is minor, seems to be a lot of teenagers stealing beer out of refrigerators located in garages and stuff like golf clubs. But why take the chance on having your personal info/credit cards stolen? This is one of the most common crimes that is reported by the Cary Police each week.

The purse I had taken from the car was 100 dollars, which for me is the equivalent of 1200 dollars because I would never pay that for a purse, but yes, I still would leave it in the car. I do it now with my bankcards (all the money I have in the world), the children's social security cards, my ids, etc. So yep, I still would. And I know it is a horrible habit, but growing up in Cary my family was never overly concerned with safety. We didn't lock the doors on anything - house or car. These are habits we have tried to change, but they die hard.

Oh, and just to follow up, I leave my cell in the car more than I leave my purse. But, I will say if I received a call Friday night from a friend on my cell, I would not trouble myself to put the cell back in the car. If that is indeed where hers was... That would seem odd if she had used it Friday night.

I'd probably leave (and have left) my purse in the car regardless of price. To me, it's more a matter of habit than anything, except possibly a sense of trust, feeling safe in your neighborhood. I do it all the time around home or frequent haunts...like school or friends houses, etc. I see cell phones, i pods, in cars all the time. Many times, people think they'll be right back out, or they have their hands full with shopping bags, or kids or the like.
This is not peculiar to me, one bit. Again, I know PLENTY of people that leave their purses in their cars, locked or unlocked. I know the same number that leave their doors unlocked. Cary has the perception of being a safe place...kind of like it's own camelot. Those of us that live here have to admit this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024