Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think that the warrants are sealed to brad, cisco and their attorneys--- only the public.

LE sealed the last 2 SWs served on jason young's family residences where he had been staying (younger sister and mother's houses ) on feb 14th, 2008. the youngs got copies of the SWs as they were being served and their homes searched.

they are free to discuss those warrants publicly if they choose. they have chosen not to talk about the contents of the SWs and probable cause linking jason to the murder.

the SWs remain under seal from the public. there may be more that we don't know about in the murder case of michelle young.

TO add to Saint's reply, the warrants are sealed until an inventory is made by LE, and then it can be made available to the public.

To be honest charlie, I never paid all that much attention before. So, it's unusual?

Gosh! You don't think they're going into Cisco to look at his VoIP stuff do you? You know the system that his WIFE and her friends said he was keeping track of her calls and hanging up the home phone line from the office?

Oh, yeah, he wouldn't do that because IF LE looked there would be traces of his actions. Soooooo, of course he told the truth in his affidavits. :eek:

As IF!!!!!!:rolleyes:

We'll see, yes indeed,;)
fran

Fran,

I didn't word that right. Typically a warrant can be sealed and served, however, public law also requires that a reason must be provided for why the warrant was sealed. Are you aware of any other cases where warrants have been sealed without cause ?

Fran,

I didn't word that right. Typically a warrant can be sealed and served, however, public law also requires that a reason must be provided for why the warrant was sealed. Are you aware of any other cases where warrants have been sealed without cause ?

Is this the reason for the hearing on Thursday?

As far as the rebuttal affidavit, BC had no choice. I figure that NC was like a lot of us and that we share the kvetching about our husbands FAR MORE than we share the good stuff. ;-) She also appears to not have really gone without - despite claims from EVERYONE that she wasn't getting enough money to feed and care for the children - why don't ANY of the friends' affidavits say THEY GAVE HER MONEY? Supposedly SOMEONE was - if not them, who? Could she have been exaggerating? Making him appear worse than he was? Maybe they offered and she refused out of pride but said she'd accept money for services, such as painting.

I am also not totally buying the fear and controlling issue. Having been in a BAD relationship where I just wanted OUT and he was verbally abusive - I DID NOT provoke him. Many items in that separation agreement were pokes at him - having a high powered attorney on your side is not something someone that is that "controlled" does - and SOMETHING would have been done if in fact she was that scared that she was sleeping in her kids room with the door locked. There are not allegations of physical abuse - so why that reaction? I think that this separation was going to get VERY ugly and Nancy wasn't the meek, mild and controlled person that everyone is making her out to be. She had way too much freedom to run, bring the kids around, spend many hours with friends, vacation with her family, vacation with another family (and another woman's husband) etc to play the controlled spouse here. Women being "controlled" don't get to have these kind of relationships - they are usually CUT OFF from anyone that could help them - because it's easier to keep them down that way.

ALL this being said - I think he is the most likely killer and will be arrested.

Good post Raleigh. I think he's the killer as well. Nancy did seem to have a lot of freedom, that's for sure. Sounds like she was better off than even married to a cheap person.

On one hand we hear that she's sleeping in the girls' room with her keys in her pocket and we are assuming that she does that out of fear. Fear of what though? If it was physical abuse, surely, she would have confided that to her lawyer who would have suggested an ex parte order to get Brad out of the house. But no....they were working on an amicable separation agreement supposedly.:confused:
Maybe she was sleeping in the girls' room to avoid sexual advances? (I know Brad says they hadn't had sex for 2 yrs.)

Fran,

My best guess would be, you always have to provide cause to seal, unless, it's a Homeland Security Act issue.

Good post Raleigh. I think he's the killer as well. Nancy did seem to have a lot of freedom, that's for sure. Sounds like she was better off than even married to a cheap person.

On one hand we hear that she's sleeping in the girls' room with her keys in her pocket and we are assuming that she does that out of fear. Fear of what though? If it was physical abuse, surely, she would have confided that to her lawyer who would have suggested an ex parte order to get Brad out of the house. But no....they were working on an amicable separation agreement supposedly.:confused:
Maybe she was sleeping in the girls' room to avoid sexual advances? (I know Brad says they hadn't had sex for 2 yrs.)

Interact might know.

I have a neighbor with a big truck that hits Holly Springs Road every monring during the week at 6:40 unless it's raining. During the weekend it's usually at 7:30 or 8:00
He didn't happen to go the morning of the "disappearance". He says that he never sees anyone running on Holly Springs Road. We used to have a woman that ran every Sat. and Sun. all the way down Ten Ten Road. I haven't see her in seven or eight years. One man use to run with his dog in the evening. I haven't seen him in six or seven months. I really feel that they are stopping traffic on Holly Springs Road because that really are trying to find someone that saw her running. I fell like the decompostion of the body has impaired being able to pinpoint time of death. As far as cadavor dogs.....my dog trainer says that they are really not able to be sure is there has been the presence of a dead body. They really are used to locate bodies that have had time to have had time to smell a little. They are just able to detect the smell before humans can.

"The News & Observer reported Monday that Wake County Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens said in an order issued last week that releasing information contained in the warrants could jeopardize the prospects for a fair trial."

I've been lucky enough to have been on 3 juries in Wake County.

Judge Stephens is like a former baseball all-star player playing ringer on your softball team. His twin Ron is a judge in Durham county. He's been criticized for his actions in the Duke Lacrosse Team fiasco. That case more than any other has taught me to withhold judgment based on speculation and insufficient facts.

Yes, probability says the husband did it, having both opportunity and motive.

But, if I was a juror, I would need more facts.

My best guess would be, you always have to provide cause to seal, unless, it's a Homeland Security Act issue.

I would say that is exactly the reason the N & O is taking it to a hearing on Thursday - there has to be cause. There was no cause provided for sealing the warrants on the house - we know that - it is possible the two new ones for Cisco and where ever / whoever may have been done the same. My quess, the DA does not want the public to know - which is fine, but apparently with the two to Cisco and where/who ever - Brad also will not know, although for Cisco he can probably surmise why and what they may be looking for.

It's not unusual to seal a warrant , especially in high profile cases.

"The News & Observer reported Monday that Wake County Superior Court Judge Donald Stephens said in an order issued last week that releasing information contained in the warrants could jeopardize the prospects for a fair trial."

I just wanted to point out that the order does indicate it has been sealed b/c the release could " jeopardize the right of the State to prosecute a defendant or the right of a defendant to a fair trial or will undermine an ongoing or future investigation."

I did the bolding just to show the different reasons. I think the N&O (& WRAL b/c they had a similar quote) should put the full statement in their reports.

I just wanted to point out that the order does indicate it has been sealed b/c the release could " jeopardize the right of the State to prosecute a defendant or the right of a defendant to a fair trial or will undermine an ongoing or future investigation."

I did the bolding just to show the different reasons. I think the N&O (& WRAL b/c they had a similar quote) should put the full statement in their reports.

I agree.

Check 3 a -d

http://www.wral.com/asset/news/local/2008/07/29/3297397/19433-Motion_to_unseal_search_warrant.pdf

I have a neighbor with a big truck that hits Holly Springs Road every monring during the week at 6:40 unless it's raining. During the weekend it's usually at 7:30 or 8:00
He didn't happen to go the morning of the "disappearance". He says that he never sees anyone running on Holly Springs Road. We used to have a woman that ran every Sat. and Sun. all the way down Ten Ten Road. I haven't see her in seven or eight years. One man use to run with his dog in the evening. I haven't seen him in six or seven months. I really feel that they are stopping traffic on Holly Springs Road because that really are trying to find someone that saw her running. I fell like the decompostion of the body has impaired being able to pinpoint time of death. As far as cadavor dogs.....my dog trainer says that they are really not able to be sure is there has been the presence of a dead body. They really are used to locate bodies that have had time to have had time to smell a little. They are just able to detect the smell before humans can.

I have seen runners on Holly Springs Road up towards that area where it does flatten out a bit and is less curvy, from Lilly Atkinsson Drive (or whatever that is called) it is a very short jaunt to the entrance of that neigbhorhood where she was found. True, not that many and more biker than runners, but runners none the less.

Still...I find it odd to canvas drivers on Saturday morning...there is simply NO WAY to access all those that could have driven there on that morning. If that's their intent then I'd question the findings.

A friend of mine who lives in Lochmere told me today, that last Wednesday, around noon, they were stopping drivers on Lochmere Drive. Had the street blocked in both directions, passing out flyers, and asking drivers if they'd seen anything.

I'm sorry, I don't understand what that has to do w/ my post about the original order from Stephens and the lack of N&O/WRAL from report the full statement #2. His order is dated 7/16.

I do see from the link that they are saying the warrant was sealed prior to SW being served.

The order comes after the sealing order - basically the judge gives his reason to agree. The point is the DA provided no reasons for the sealing order which under the statutes quoted in the N&O motion must be provided under public law.

RC: The report from WRAL said "A Superior Court judge has sealed a search warrant relating to the murder investigation of a Cary woman, saying the release of the information could jeopardize the state's case or a defendant's right to a fair trial."

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3242277/

I fully understand that a judge said to seal it. What I am arguing is that the DA did not file the appropriate sealing order - this is the request for the judge to seal it - big difference in that one preceeds the other and is also public record. This not been done- this is what the N & O is arguing not that a judge said to seal it. The required protocol to do so was not followed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024