Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know RC. I mean she was concerned enough to call 911 so I think she may have feared Brad but she still was concerned enough to go look into the car. Maybe she looked in, saw the purse and seeing it is what set her final alarm to ringing and then she called 911. She said loudly and clearly in the 911 call that she was afraid Brad had done something to Nancy. Maybe it's just me but if I was concerned about my friend enough to suspect her hubby I think I'd have the guts to walk and look into the car or even confront the hubby. NOT alone of course...but still

True enough and there was little doubt in her voice she was definitely concerned. Could be.

I don't know RC. I mean she was concerned enough to call 911 so I think she may have feared Brad but she still was concerned enough to go look into the car. Maybe she looked in, saw the purse and seeing it is what set her final alarm to ringing and then she called 911. She said loudly and clearly in the 911 call that she was afraid Brad had done something to Nancy. Maybe it's just me but if I was concerned about my friend enough to suspect her hubby I think I'd have the guts to walk and look into the car or even confront the hubby. NOT alone of course...but still
Some people say they heard a chair sliding across the floor during the 911 call, which leads me to believe she called from home. That means she would have to drive all the way to the Coopers, which is a ways from JA's house, and then go all the way back....unless she walked across the street to Diana Duncan's and made the call from there. Or she could have called one of these friends who live closer, like Diana, and asked her to look for her. Any number of ways to know that purse was there without the info coming from Brad AND without her seeing for herself.

also from that same article:

"Meanwhile, attorneys for Brad Cooper have subpoenaed Harris Teeter, Time Warner Cable and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Chapel Hill for records."

I understand the HT and the ME, but why Time Warner Cable?

Unless maybe their landline phone was provided w/their cable and they are trying to get the home phone records.

Not sure how this broke guy can afford to keep adding lawyers.

Well, according to the dork himself, Nancy is the one who runs up the credit card bills not him so I haven't a clue.....maybe mom and dad? Or maybe the lawyers are doing all this pro bono since Brad is sooo innocent...

Well, according to the dork himself, Nancy is the one who runs up the credit card bills not him so I haven't a clue.....maybe mom and dad? Or maybe the lawyers are doing all this pro bono since Brad is sooo innocent...

Naw - even Geragos wasn't that magnanimous considering he felt the SP case was the trial of the century.

A little off topic but I read that someone down in your area saw Brad with his mom and dad this past weekend at a JC Penney's. Has anyone else seen or heard from them? Maybe they're giving him money for the attorneys.

Some people say they heard a chair sliding across the floor during the 911 call, which leads me to believe she called from home. That means she would have to drive all the way to the Coopers, which is a ways from JA's house, and then go all the way back....unless she walked across the street to Diana Duncan's and made the call from there. Or she could have called one of these friends who live closer, like Diana, and asked her to look for her. Any number of ways to know that purse was there without the info coming from Brad AND without her seeing for herself.

I thought I heard a chair slide as well. I just assumed she was calling from Diana's house. In my scenario JA went to the Coopers, possibly knocked and got no answer. Walked over to Diana's for a partner, they walked back to the Coopers together and then saw the purse and called 911 from Diana's. We don't even know if the call to 911 was from a land line or cell phone do we?

This is unclear to me actually. In the 911 call she says the car is at the house and Nancy's purse was in it - but I do not know factually how she concluded that. If she drove by and saw it, if Brad told her when they spoke at 925 or if she had called maybe a neighbor across the street. Just don't know really, only know that after she got off the phone with 911 dispatch she went over there with Mary Richardson.

Maybe at some point we can get mahmoo to do a map showing where some of the players live with respect to where Nancy lived - it might be helpful.

I just replayed the 911 call to double check on this and it does not say that Nancy's purse is in her car. JA stated that NC's car was at her house and that NC's cell phone was "there". She does not say the cell phone is in the car specifically. She just says NC's car is there and the cell phone is "there".

Just wanted to clear that up. If anyone has a different file of that call can you point me to it?

I wonder if she didn't want to give the affidavit. If not I wonder why.

I assumed all these affidavits in the custody hearing were voluntarily given - is that not necessarily the case? In civil matters, can individuals simply just decline to provide one - or are they compelled by the court to do so, at the attorney's request?

If the affidavit is voluntary, you are right, there's not a lot of additional information there. Not sure what that means (maybe she just didn't want to get any more involved than she had to, or go on record any more than she had to, or perhaps it was per advisement from LE. Who knows, perhaps she didn't want to say anything else that might reduce NC's family's chances of receiving custody... )

If her and NC were regular running partners though, it would seem she would have at least some degree of insight into the situation, at least from NC's perspective.

My sense is that of NC's friends who provided more detailed affidavits, they were convinced (if nothing else), that NC would want the children to be with her parents/family. Their mindset in providing these affidavits (even though they knew much of it was of course heresay, and even if they knew NC may have liked to embellish a bit (as BC's affidavit's assert)), was to do whatever they could to help their friend's wishes (NC's wishes) be carried through.

And yet CC's (taken on 7/24) is of a completely different category. Not sure what to make of it exactly.

I seems to me that Kurtz and Blum is more of a criminal defense type firm.

Perhaps he was advised to separate the "issues" - but that would be the first real acknowledgment that he NEEDED a criminal defense attorney....

According to Martindale - Howard Kurtz specializes in the following:

Criminal Defense; Traffic; DWI; Trial Practice; Appellate Practice; Death Penalty Post-conviction work; Personal Injury; Professional Negligence; Medical Malpractice; Legal Malpractice

Note - no divorce or child custody mentioned there.

It's possible that things are progressing and he was advised to retain separate counsel for the 2 (!) legal matters that will be pending.

The one thing that CC's affidavit does not address is whether or not it was true that the run the day before was cancelled. I am trying to figure out if anything concerning CC that BC stated was true. Also it does not seem as NC was as close to CC as the others (short affidavit... I am assuming she just didn't have that type of relationship with NC) so I am wondering if that is why he used her name instead of someone she was more likely to run with.

JMO

I seems to me that Kurtz and Blum is more of a criminal defense type firm.

Perhaps he was advised to separate the "issues" - but that would be the first real acknowledgment that he NEEDED a criminal defense attorney....

According to Martindale - Howard Kurtz specializes in the following:

Criminal Defense; Traffic; DWI; Trial Practice; Appellate Practice; Death Penalty Post-conviction work; Personal Injury; Professional Negligence; Medical Malpractice; Legal Malpractice

Note - no divorce or child custody mentioned there.

It's possible that things are progressing and he was advised to retain separate counsel for the 2 (!) legal matters that will be pending.

That certainly makes sense BUT you would have thought that all of those affadavits that supposedly were taken because of the custody matter would have been forwarded to the attorneys in charge of the custody suit - not the criminal attorney.

The one thing that CC's affidavit does not address is whether or not it was true that the run the day before was cancelled. I am trying to figure out if anything concerning CC that BC stated was true. Also it does not seem as NC was as close to CC as the others (short affidavit... I am assuming she just didn't have that type of relationship with NC) so I am wondering if that is why he used her name instead of someone she was more likely to run with.

JMO

I agree that this affidavit is sure short and sweet, and also assume that she was more of a casual running partner rather than a close friend. Maybe BC did use her name for that reason, or maybe NC made up a story about running with her that day for whatever reason...we don't know. Either way, I'd hate to be CC and in the middle of it for no good reason, which may be why her affidavit is so short and sweet.

I just replayed the 911 call to double check on this and it does not say that Nancy's purse is in her car. JA stated that NC's car was at her house and that NC's cell phone was "there". She does not say the cell phone is in the car specifically. She just says NC's car is there and the cell phone is "there".

Just wanted to clear that up. If anyone has a different file of that call can you point me to it?
Thanks!!

I'll conceed this, but remind you there is a news link in the links thread that references LE removing Nancy's purse from her car. So we do know the purse was in the car without a doubt.

The "there" - ask yourself - if it was in the house - did Brad just ignore it when it rang? Possibly so but also possible it was not in the house but in the purse which I think is where most ladies keep their cell phones when not using them. We do know from JA's affidavit she tried to call Nancy and got no answer. Not that we can conclude where it was - but it ceratinly opens the door to more questions.

The purse was however, in the car, in the driveway.

That certainly makes sense BUT you would have thought that all of those affadavits that supposedly were taken because of the custody matter would have been forwarded to the attorneys in charge of the custody suit - not the criminal attorney.

It is not apparent to me that Brad was working with an attorney on the divorce issue yet. I guess I should go back and take a look at the draft of the separation agreement - I remember it being forwarded to Kurtz and Blum - but shouldn't it have gone somewhere else?

Perhaps he didn't get a custody / divorce attorney because he knew he'd never end up "divorced?"

While some men don't seem to mind supporting their "family" as the sole breadwinner, and enjoy the fact that someone else handles all the domestic chores, kids, etc. when divorce enters the picture, they seem to think that the spouse that gave up working and devoted time to support them should immediately be able to be self sufficient and not require their "support". Not likely, but supporting a divorced "spouse" usually ends up sticking in the breadwinners craw....

I can certainly see Brad not being happy about supporting Nancy when they were not together - as he wouldn't be "getting" anything out of the deal.

It is not apparent to me that Brad was working with an attorney on the divorce issue yet. I guess I should go back and take a look at the draft of the separation agreement - I remember it being forwarded to Kurtz and Blum - but shouldn't it have gone somewhere else?

Perhaps he didn't get a custody / divorce attorney because he knew he'd never end up "divorced?"

While some men don't seem to mind supporting their "family" as the sole breadwinner, and enjoy the fact that someone else handles all the domestic chores, kids, etc. when divorce enters the picture, they seem to think that the spouse that gave up working and devoted time to support them should immediately be able to be self sufficient and not require their "support". Not likely, but supporting a divorced "spouse" usually ends up sticking in the breadwinners craw....

I can certainly see Brad not being happy about supporting Nancy when they were not together - as he wouldn't be "getting" anything out of the deal.

Boy - you sure hit the nail on the head!

It is not apparent to me that Brad was working with an attorney on the divorce issue yet.

In one of the affidavits, it says Nancy told a friend that Brad's attorney was the one who told him to start being nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024