Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Say what you want about Nifong but bottom line he was a prejudice SOB. I'm a white woman. Shock shock What I DON'T agree with is her new book deal. Bottom line - he wanted soooo bad to hang some white boys in a predominantly black Durham county.
...so he could get re-elected.

Off Topic:offtheair:
Our groups' question: Would ONE fare better legally fessing up in this way? Or would ONE's attorney most likely suggest ONE take the high road and deny, deny, deny?

Good question! I'm no legal eagle, but I think it would 'play' better if a perp did that. Certainly it would be possible to negotiate a plea with the DA and maybe get manslaughter or even an involuntary manslaughter plea. I don't think the perp would ever walk or just get parole, but a reduced sentence coming from a plea...I would say that might be possible.

You see. This is why you were ridiculed on GOLO. Because if anybody deigned to question or not share your opinion, you ridiculed them.

You equate: waiting for the evidence == pro-Brad, regardless of the waiting-for-the-evidence crowd's statements that when the evidence is revealed and it supports that Brad did it, that they would then agree. Instead you put words in their mouths saying they will probably say "she deserved it."

The only rational discourse you shared with those on GOLO were with those who agreed with your opinion.

Many of the posts on GOLO were deserving of ridicule NOT because of their considering BC to be possibly innocent. It was because of statements disparaging Nancy and trying to come up with ideas of the kind of person she was, and how JA was just being nosy by calling the cops, and how Nancy spent money hand over fist, and how she might have been having an affair... these are the things that upset me and the reason I came here to talk with sensible folks about how the murder could have happened and what those who are in the know have found out. You sound like you want to bring the GOLO (lack of) sensibility to this forum but I can guarantee you, you won't be welcome if you continue on this way.

Off Topic:offtheair:

For all you legal eagles: This came up at dinner with friends last night: What IF... saying that ONE got into a heated brawl with ONE's spouse, and, in a rage ONE killed that spouse... ONE immediataely calls LE and says, "something awful just happened and I need to tell you the truth of what I did in the heat of the moment".

Our groups' question: Would ONE fare better legally fessing up in this way? Or would ONE's attorney most likely suggest ONE take the high road and deny, deny, deny?

Are we presupposing ONE actually told ONE's attorney that ONE did it?

I don't think lawyers particularly like being made fools of. And they are officers of the court. Many attorneys do not want to know if their client is guilty or not guilty.

I don't think lawyers particularly like being made fools of. And they are officers of the court. Many attorneys do not want to know if their client is guilty or not guilty.

I would think if one told LE, one would also tell one's attorneys, so I think what the question is, if the truth were told all around, would it be better for the perp than all of this lying and eventually the truth comes out? I would think so, otherwise, what is the incentive to admit it, other than you feel horrible about what you did?

Good question! I'm no legal eagle, but I think it would 'play' better if a perp did that. Certainly it would be possible to negotiate a plea with the DA and maybe get manslaughter or even an involuntary manslaughter plea. I don't think the perp would ever walk or just get parole, but a reduced sentence coming from a plea...I would say that might be possible.
See, I agree with you. But this is something that someone with a conscience would do because they would feel....GUILTY!!! ONE would know that the spouse did NOT deserve the consequences of ONE's actions in the heat of anger. The punishment did not fit the crime, so to speak.

HOWEVER......if ONE had traits of a narcissistic or sociopathic personality (or some mixture of the two), then ONE would feel justified in ONE's deed and would "lie like hell in a hand basket" to preserve ONE's innocence.

I can't BELIEVE there are still those of you out there that question who this perp is. Get on the human ship why don'tcha for goodness sakes!

see, i agree with you. But this is something that someone with a conscience would do because they would feel....guilty!!! One would know that the spouse did not deserve the consequences of one's actions in the heat of anger. The punishment did not fit the crime, so to speak.

However......if one had traits of a narcissistic or sociopathic personality (or some mixture of the two), then one would feel justified in one's deed and would "lie like hell in a hand basket" to preserve one's innocence.

I can't believe there are still those of you out there that question who this perp is. Get on the human ship why don'tcha for goodness sakes!

amen!

Star, I doubt for one nano-second that ONE's attorneys, in any given case, do not know if their client is or is not guilty. They read all the same "shishhy" we do.

You sound like you want to bring the GOLO (lack of) sensibility to this forum but I can guarantee you, you won't be welcome if you continue on this way.

I respectfully disagree with this comment about this poster. From what I have read of his/her posts they have been quite sensible, respectable, and no way disparaging to the victim. I am sure that as long as they abide by the TOS, there is no reason for them not to share their opinions about this case, like you, me and everyone else.

See, I agree with you. But this is something that someone with a conscience would do because they would feel....GUILTY!!! ONE would know that the spouse did NOT deserve the consequences of ONE's actions in the heat of anger. The punishment did not fit the crime, so to speak.

HOWEVER......if ONE had traits of a narcissistic or sociopathic personality (or some mixture of the two), then ONE would feel justified in ONE's deed and would "lie like hell in a hand basket" to preserve ONE's innocence.

I can't BELIEVE there are still those of you out there that question who this perp is. Get on the human ship why don'tcha for goodness sakes!

Well even if the perp secretly felt that the victim 'deserved' it, by coming forward immediately, being proactive about reporting the crime, taking full responsibility, apologizing, at least acting remorseful, throwing themselves on the mercy of the court...those are things that can only be helpful to the perp in the end. Of course it totally depends on the nature of the crime, how violent, how much 'planning' went into it, etc, etc.

Most perps believe they can/will get away with their crime. Even the dumb ones, not just the narcissistic ones. Unfortunately, some do get away with it...at least in the criminal system. One can always say that from a soul/karmic standpoint they will never get away with it.

I respectfully disagree with this comment about this poster. From what I have read of his/her posts they have been quite sensible, respectable, and no way disparaging to the victim. I am sure that as long as they abide by the TOS, there is no reason for them not to share their opinions about this case, like you, me and everyone else.

I didn't say this poster had made comments on here disparaging the victim. We are talking about what was said on GOLO. My hope is that this poster will not bring that mentality to this forum as it is starting to look like a personal attack is taking shape rather than a general discussion.

Well even if the perp secretly felt that the victim 'deserved' it, by coming forward immediately, being proactive about reporting the crime, taking full responsibility, apologizing, at least acting remorseful, throwing themselves on the mercy of the court...those are things that can only be helpful to the perp in the end. Of course it totally depends on the nature of the crime, how violent, how much 'planning' went into it, etc, etc.

Most perps believe they can/will get away with their crime. Even the dumb ones, not just the narcissistic ones. Unfortunately, some do get away with it...at least in the criminal system. One can always say that from a soul/karmic standpoint they will never get away with it.
I wonder if a client's attorney would say your exact words to a client who may potentially be a suspect in a spouse killing. THAT is what our big question was. A good attorney, regardless of knowing the truth or not, would give his/her client alternative outcomes to all posible scenarios. The perp would then make the decision to admit the crime (or not)....most likely based on ONE's ability to feel guilt.

I wonder if a client's attorney would say your exact words to a client who may potentially be a suspect in a spouse killing. THAT is what our big question was.

Hmmmm....I don't think they would. A defense attorney's job is to protect the rights of his/her client. Now if the client offered the info that they were guilty of the crime and wanted to know the best way to proceed, then the defense attorney might suggest they go to the DA and start working a deal.

BUT, most clients either say they are innocent of the crime or they don't say for sure. The attorney could ask, but not all do. If the client wants to fight the charges against them then that's the attorney's job as a client advocate. As long as they don't allow the client to commit perjury on the stand. But legally and ethically, they are bound to protect their client's constitutional rights and advocate on behalf of their client, regardless of what their own personal feelings may be.

Glad you said it......I'm a major believer in karma......what goes around comes around 10 fold.

I'm a believer too! I try and remember that there are universal forces at work that have nothing to do with mans' laws.

Can ya'll just quit fighting over what happened on some other board? Please? Who said what, etc., over there has nothing to do with what we are doing here on WS.

JMHO

This topic is interesting. I'm following a story in my neck of the woods about a news anchor who secretly broke into his co-anchor's email account and leaked stories to the press about this co-anchor. He got caught. Instead of deny, deny, deny, he pleaded guilty the other day. He made a statement after the hearing and admitted what he did, and apologized to the co-anchor, his wife, viewers, etc. He said he didn't want to plead not guilty for something he was in fact guilty of. We'll see how that plays out for him when he's sentenced next month. I personally give him kudos for doing the right thing, even though what he did was wrong.

Can ya'll just quit fighting over what happened on some other board? Please? Who said what, etc., over there has nothing to do with what we are doing here on WS.

JMHO

K......we smoke em peace pipe
vd22cw.jpg

This topic is interesting. I'm following a story in my neck of the woods about a news anchor who secretly broke into his co-anchor's email account and leaked stories to the press about this co-anchor. He got caught. Instead of deny, deny, deny, he pleaded guilty the other day. He made a statement after the hearing and admitted what he did, and apologized to the co-anchor, his wife, viewers, etc. He said he didn't want to plead not guilty for something he was in fact guilty of. We'll see how that plays out for him when he's sentenced next month. I personally give him kudos for doing the right thing, even though what he did was wrong.

Me too, and that is the right thing to do.
Is your precious moniker a basset hound or a beagle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member