Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed, and sealed warrants aren't a bad thing at all as long as it is to protect the integrity of the case and not just some habit the DAs have gotten in to. The public has the right to know and the media is tying to protect their rights to the information. As I said I don;t think WRAL & N&O are fighting this to damage the case - just trying to nip the habit of sealing everything in the bud.

Bolding is mine.

I'm not sure why the public needs to know what was searched and why! And I certainly don't think the MEDIA is acting altruistically... they want to sell news stories!!! I don't think it's a bad habit to get into at all. I want to see more guilty people stop getting away with murder.

Not belittling NC - just noting the slant of the law in force.

North Carolina? Nancy Cooper? NCNative?? LOL[/quote]

LOL I'm sure he meant North Carolina and I'm quite sure you know that LOL - but that was funny :clap:

Not belittling NC - just noting the slant of the law in force.

North Carolina? Nancy Cooper? NCNative?? LOL[/quote]

There are too many NC's aren't there? I was referencing North Carolina criminal laws and procedures - sorry.

Bolding is mine.

I'm not sure why the public needs to know what was searched and why! And I certainly don't think the MEDIA is acting altruistically... they want to sell news stories!!! I don't think it's a bad habit to get into at all. I want to see more guilty people stop getting away with murder.

If the PUBLIC is privy to the info they might be able to remember something they saw, some rumor they heard that could result in a CONVICTION. If the PUBLIC never gets that info due to a sealed warrant for months after - they might not remember anything. Or won't bother coming forward at such a late date. I know WRAL and N&O are in business but they are saying don't seal unless necessary. Let us in on it - we can help the public help law enforcement (possibly).

Bolding is mine.

Secracy is not the way to stop that. The only way to stop it is society itself gets a grip and comes to terms with it. When everything becomes secret - the public - some of whom may know something - stop caring if it isn't in the public eye. If it isn't in their face - they just carry on like nothing happened and they know nothing - that is pure bs IMO.

Secracy is not the way to stop that. The only way to stop it is society itself gets a grip and comes to terms with it. When everything becomes secret - the public - some of whom may know something - stop caring if it isn't in the public eye. If it isn't in their face - they just carry on like nothing happened and they know nothing - that is pure bs IMO.

What I was trying to say but you said it sooo much better

Found it! Here's the Charleston by St. Lawrence Homes floor plan as it was in 2002.

I'm new, so let me know if I link it incorrectly. :crazy:

Charleston_Elevation_II.jpg

Can you give me an example where a warrant was unsealed and someone remembered something?

I think it's far more likely that the defense attorney will use the information to try to pain the picture that their client was treated unfairly, that the public's opinion hurt his case, etc.

Can you give me an example where a warrant was unsealed and someone remembered something?

I think it's far more likely that the defense attorney will use the information to try to pain the picture that their client was treated unfairly, that the public's opinion hurt his case, etc.

That's why you would redact names, etc. and let it remain unsealed. No crying from defense attorney or public.

It's too late if it has been sealed - that is precisely the point. The door was slammed shut the minute it was done.

Defense attorney's always make that argument and that is why there are options to remedy it - change of venue - voir dire come to mind.

It's too late if it has been sealed - that is precisely the point. The door was slammed shut the minute it was done.

Defense attorney's always make that argument and that is why there are options to remedy it - change of venue - voir dire come to mind.

I realize I am a newbie at this so I hope you'll forgive my ignorance. I am willing to learn! Do you have an example, though, where someone was of assistance because the warrants were unsealed or left unsealed?

Found it! Here's the Charleston by St. Lawrence Homes floor plan as it was in 2002.

I'm new, so let me know if I link it incorrectly. :crazy:

Charleston_Elevation_II.jpg

Would you consider posting this in the photos thread so we could have it for future reference ? It will come in handy I have no doubt.

Note to the floorplan: I checked 3 elevations (I was too lazy to keep searching for the fourth one), and this one seems to match the exterior photos of the Coopers' home best based on the bay window and garage.

I realize I am a newbie at this so I hope you'll forgive my ignorance. I am willing to learn! Do you have an example, though, where someone was of assistance because the warrants were unsealed or left unsealed?

I'll have to look around to make sure I have links to examples but NNeka Wilson would be one I can think of off the top of my head and I'm sure there are many more. Are you speficially asking for North Carolina or any place?

Would you consider posting this in the photos thread so we could have it for future reference ? It will come in handy I have no doubt.

Absolutely! I'll do it now. :eek:nline:

No - I don't have a specific thing I could point you to where someone came forward after documents were made open after having been sealed for a period of time. Not saying it hasn't happened - I just don't know of a case where it did happen.

As to open warrants - the Pam Vitale case - a confidential informant came forward having seen information in the press and the warrants - this informant provided irrefutable proof in the case and pointed LE in an appropriate direction to discover and recover evidence. Of note - the warrant relating to this informant was sealed to protect his identity - I have no problem with that at all

I'll have to look around to make sure I have links to examples but NNeka Wilson would be one I can think of off the top of my head and I'm sure there are many more. Are you speficially asking for North Carolina or any place?

I am not familiar with NNeka Wilson. Doesn't have to be in North Carolina, no... I am just looking for an example where one could explain how it helped in that case...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cecilgoodroe