Nancy Cooper, 34, of Cary, N.C. #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there also a Harris Teeter on Waverly Place ?

RC,

Nope!

Waverly Place has been around for quite a few years, but due to the landscape of where it is constructed, quite a bit of the store fronts are below grade when viewed from the road. The place never gained a lot of traction for a retail location, and is all but abandoned now. It is in the process of being raised, and they are going to build some new shopping complex there. There are still a few operational business there, but not many.

Harris Teeter is in the shopping center across the street, which is known as Crescent Commons, although I believe that it is next to Crescent Commons, and that might not actually be the name of the shopping center where Wal*Mart and Harris Teeter are located.

CyberPro

He can ship them off to boarding school, he's the father. You're right.

Perhaps, if he's never charged or convicted, the grandparents can get some kind of visitation rights and possibly the court will order Family Services involvement, but the fact that he and his wife did not get along doesn't have any bearing on his parental rights.

I think you must know that there are no visitation rights for grandparents in NC. Even if there were, after all of this, I don't think BC would allow it.

He can ship them off to boarding school, he's the father.

Perhaps, if he's never charged or convicted, the grandparents can get some kind of visitation rights and possibly the court will order Family Services involvement, but the fact that he and his wife did not get along doesn't have any bearing on his parental rights.

Bad parenting can cause one to loose custody. Also, being in jail doesn't give you much opportunity to spend quality time with the little ones either.

fran

OK,

It looks like round one of this is turning into a game of Dueling Affidavits.

I found some interesting tidbits in the reading I did, and I have not read all of them. But this is the first that I recall hearing that NC had retained Tharrington Smith for an actual Sep Agreement. This answers a lot of questions about how NC's parents engaged this high powered firm on the Ex Parte order. I am not familiar with the Blum firm, but some information indicated that BC had engaged their services for the pending separation. Folks, these are some really BIG GUN lawfirms to be dealing with a divorce action. This is akin to having Perry Mason or Matlock defend you on a jaywalking charge.

Yes, I know all of her friends are going to tell her side of the story, and BC is going to paint the best possible picture of himself that he can. This is normal in any situation like this, setting aside the fact for the moment that is is also possible that he will face some charges in the murder of his wife. This is, setting aside the murder for the moment, just normal He Said, She Said. Except in this case, the "She" cannot say anything. It is now, They Said, He Said. We do not know a great deal about NC other that what her friends have said about her, but they speak quite loudly. There were a large number of folks out looking for her when she was only missing. They have spoken for her, and about her and I have heard very little bad said about her.

I have not heard much locally about what a great guy BC was. OTOH, we have had postings from several folks who have dated, known, lived in the same residence as BC, and shock of all shocks, what they have said about his actions and personality seems to dovetail quite nicely with the affidavits that the friends of NC have said about him and his actions. I feel fairly confident that the folks from Canada who posted here, including some of BC's Ex's DID NOT collude with the friends of NC to paint BC as the worst thing since Mr. Hyde. If you see this much smoke, there has just gotta be some fire somewhere.

CyberPro

Bad parenting can cause one to loose custody

Abusive parenting can affect your rights, but not working fulltime, while furthering your education.

And, I agree, if Brad gets charged and convicted, then the grandparents should come before the foster system, but right now that's not the case and I see no allegations of any abuse toward the kids.

From what I've read about BC, it seems that he was punishing his wife throughout their marriage. Since he hasn't been charged with Nancy's murder, I would guess that he has a pretty good chance of getting his children back unless Nancy's family can prove that he is mentally unstable or he neglects or abuses his children. After reading all the affidavits, I don't see anything in them that would warrant a change in custody.

Subsequently, if the children are returned to him and he's charged with Nancy's murder, I suspect that he will go on to punish his inlaws for daring to try and take his children away. He will choose who the custodian(s) of his children will be and I would bet the farm that it will not be his inlaws.

I just feel so sorry for those 2 little girls.

Having just now read all this stuff I have concluded the following:

From reading all the nice things he had to say in his custody filing it was obvious he had a tennis match scheduled for that morning despite earlier in his epistle saying that Saturday was Mommy's day off.
JMO

I don't think that's true. IIRC in the affidavit, it said...and sometimes Saturday would be a mommy day.

Another thing from the friend's affidavits that has struck me, much along the lines of my earlier comment about a debit card; Almost all of them reference a day the water was turned off and though one makes it sound purposeful, the others credit an unpaid bill.

Now, I was probably Brad's age, the last time that I neglected to pay a utility bill, but whether he simply forgot, money was running tight that month and/or he turned-off BillPay to better manage his finances -- How does that one incident make him a bad husband or father?

I'm pretty sure that a majority of people have had a similar experience, the majority may be slim, but still, I'm sure most people have lost one utility or another at some time because of an unpaid bill. And, if they were living beyond their means, why would Brad purposefully incur a reconnection fee and possibly cause the utility to require a deposit?

But, most importantly, why couldn't Nancy get the water restarted?

As far as I remember, those who cite a reason say that she couldn't do anything about it because her name wasn't on the account. Well, your name doesn't have to be on the account to satisfy the debt and get a utility reconnected. My only anecdotal evidence is the time one of my neighbors were out of town and they had forgotten to pay the gas, but when one of our mutual friends saw the notice on the door, she went down to city hall, paid the bill and advanced her friend the deposit.

It just doesn't make sense for someone owed to require that a specific person pay; I'm not meaning to speak ill of the dead, but did Nancy even inquire about getting it reconnected? If she didn't have the cash, weren't any of the friends to whom she recounted the story willing to make an advance? And, why should a single unpaid bill in eight years cost a man custody of his children?

Another thing from the friend's affidavits that has struck me, much along the lines of my earlier comment about a debit card; Almost all of them reference a day the water was turned off and though one makes it sound purposeful, the others credit an unpaid bill.

Now, I was probably Brad's age, the last time that I neglected to pay a utility bill, but whether he simply forgot, money was running tight that month and/or he turned-off BillPay to better manage his finances -- How does that one incident make him a bad husband or father?

I'm pretty sure that a majority of people have had a similar experience, the majority may be slim, but still, I'm sure most people have lost one utility or another at some time because of an unpaid bill. And, if they were living beyond their means, why would Brad purposefully incur a reconnection fee and possibly cause the utility to require a deposit?

But, most importantly, why couldn't Nancy get the water restarted?

As far as I remember, those who cite a reason say that she couldn't do anything about it because her name wasn't on the account. Well, your name doesn't have to be on the account to satisfy the debt and get a utility reconnected. My only anecdotal evidence is the time one of my neighbors were out of town and they had forgotten to pay the gas, but when one of our mutual friends saw the notice on the door, she went down to city hall, paid the bill and advanced her friend the deposit.

It just doesn't make sense for someone owed to require that a specific person pay; I'm not meaning to speak ill of the dead, but did Nancy even inquire about getting it reconnected? If she didn't have the cash, weren't any of the friends to whom she recounted the story willing to make an advance? And, why should a single unpaid bill in eight years cost a man custody of his children?

Good post! :thumb:

Yes, I had the electricity and, another time, the telephone disconnected due to my forgetfulness, in the past!

Good post! :thumb:

Yes, I had the electricity and, another time, the telephone disconnected due to my forgetfulness, in the past!

Now that I've reread the water parts of the affidavits, I see that "she couldn't afford the satisfy the unpaid bill" is actually cited a couple of times, but besides the fact that a water bill shouldn't be very much and her friends could've loaned her the money or she could've probably called Brad at work; Once again, why is this single incident (which is perfectly normal) be a reason for his children to be taken away and why does EVERYONE know that their water was cut-off, once?

OK- I'm still catching up, so I apologize for this being old news, but in the N&O article about the autopsy report which also contains info about their separation agreement, it's says they agreed that Brad would get the washer and dryer. Yet, Jessica Adam (who lives five miles away) says in her affidavit that he "never did laundry". Why would he need the washer/dryer, if what Jessica says is true, or did she just include that aside because of the Harris-Teeter purchase?

Wasn't there a Criminal Intent or an SVU, where a girl captured semen in a condom and used it to stage a sexual assault?

Diabolical...

That was the underlying forensic 'gotcha' in the book, "Presumed Innocent," which irony of ironies, is the book the (NC) bookclub was reading! The wife of the lead investigator saves her husband's sperm and implants said sperm on the victim. The victim and the protagonist were having an affair and the spurned wife tried to pin the murder on her husband.

It is a pity that the murder of Nancy has become clouded by other issues such as child custody, because, now, there is even more for each side to lose, so anything that can be slung in to add weight to arguments, will be. How many people can really be objective when another highly emotive issue is added to the mix?

I have been giving some thought to this. Those calls could have been placed from one cell phone to the other, and it is quite possible that the cell company could determine the location of the phone(s) when the calls were made. The locations of the store and the residence are not all that far apart, so it is possible that they were within the same cell when they were made. If this is the case, I am not sure how localizing the information retained by the cell switches are. They could have been in EXACTLY the same location.

However, even a cursory examination of the cell records would show that the calls were placed from one cell phone to the other, which would make no practical sense, if NC were actually calling to have BC pick up some items at the store. I am not sure who provided the cell service for these folks, but I find that many grocery stores in the area have very poor cell coverage. I have needed to place or receive calls on many occasions when shopping, and have a very hard time completing the calls, I have difficulty getting a good signal in the Wal*Mart too, and it is in the same area as the Harris Teeter mentioned in the report.

It is NOT IMPOSSIBLE that BC programmed a phone or computer to PLACE the call from his residence to the cell phone at a specific time (Remember the days of modems? Also, BC is an EXPERT at configuring VOIP gear, no problem for him!)

I also find it very interesting in the Adams affidavit that he was out of touch on his European trip. If he was half the techie that he should be, cross the pond phone calls and/or e-mail should be no big deal at all for him. VOIP rides the Internet pipe, and costs little or nothing.

CyberPro

He said the call from "Nancy" was from the home phone, not her cell.
You are correct in assuming the same cell tower would ping his call from home or the Harris teeter ...Brad would know this (Alltel is the carrier and it is the same tower.....walnut street and US 1).

The '2nd trip' back to the store for detergent and 'Nancy's' call at 6:40 am is what sealed it for me.... NO DOUBT in my mind this man is the killer

OK- I'm still catching up, so I apologize for this being old news, but in the N&O article about the autopsy report which also contains info about their separation agreement, it's says they agreed that Brad would get the washer and dryer. Yet, Jessica Adam (who lives five miles away) says in her affidavit that he "never did laundry". Why would he need the washer/dryer, if what Jessica says is true, or did she just include that aside because of the Harris-Teeter purchase?

Why would he need a washer and dryer :waitasec:

Reckon it's because his wife was leaving him and he would now have to start doing it himself if he wanted clean clothes ?

And it's the HOME phone that is the VoIP phoneline and if there's a way for it to be programmed to make a call, THAT would be the very line to do it from.

I have VoIP and I'm going to see if this is a feature that is available with my provider's software. I don't think it is, but the Coopers probably had a business class VoIP service since BC worked for Cisco and was a VoIP expert.

Now that I've reread the water parts of the affidavits, I see that "she couldn't afford the satisfy the unpaid bill" is actually cited a couple of times, but besides the fact that a water bill shouldn't be very much and her friends could've loaned her the money or she could've probably called Brad at work; Once again, why is this single incident (which is perfectly normal) be a reason for his children to be taken away and why does EVERYONE know that their water was cut-off, once?

Maybe if he hadn't taken her name off of the checking account she could have paid the bill. JMHO of course.

Bottom line is Brad's 'list' is self-serving and is not cooberated by anyone at this point. This is a desperate man that would say anything to cover his tracks with lies and spin.

I think Mr Blum was surprised Alice had a complete, credible rebuttal ready Wednesday afternoon. Mr Blum is obviously outmatched . He knows it....that's why he wants Alice removed from the case. :praying:

What kind of husband, who claims he's innocent, would allow his attorney to besmeech the memory of his wife in any form? Remember, Brad is playing the part of the innocent, loving, caregiving husband {pause while I choke back my breakfast}. Such an innocent man would never say anything unkind about his dear wife or allow his attorney to do so. In fact such a man would be focused on finding the 'real' killer(s) of his wife.

Wouldn't he? Such an innocent, caring man?

Maybe if he hadn't taken her name off of the checking account she could have paid the bill. JMHO of course.

I live in the middle of the desert and the water portion of my city bill is around $20. And, though I have no idea why she didn't call Brad when the water was shut-off, but obviously if she wasn't too embarrassed to recount this story to all of her friends and unwilling to call her husband, why wouldn't one of her friends loan her twenty bucks?

Like most everyone else, I've never met any of these people, but the whole thing reminds me why I choose not to live in Cary; As a whole, the Triangle is just so "convenient", everything you could want can easily be found and if you combine that with the natural tendency to "keep up with the Jones", I can sort of understand having difficulty maintaining the Cary lifestyle and running a household on $1200, a month. (Though to be honest, my household budget for non-billed neccessities is two-thirds that amount, primarily because I'm in BFE - America, so I don't have as many Joneses) (And, the rising price of gas along with a lot of food products forced me to raise what I had been budgeting and occasionally make choices)

And, as I pointed-out earlier, she easily could've taken any of those "allowances" and open a checking account at any bank.

(A long time ago, when I was just a kid, I had a neighbor whose wife "couldn't be trusted with money", so her name wasn't on the account and instead, the father added his oldest daughter. I personally always thought it was weird, but I know she was subject to whims and they eventually got a divorce, so obviously their lifestyles weren't compatable)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm