Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you're just joking, but I don't think that could even possibly happen because Smollett's case was local/state and this is federal.
Also two totally different crimes. Chicago's politics has a very long history of corruption, so I don't think most people should be surprised by anything that happens there.

She pled guilty, that was part of the deal. Those who did not, have been hit with other, more serious charges on top of the not-guilty pleas.

Huffman’s (IMO) PR team gave her better advice. She was pictured looking glum, unkempt hair, without make-up, and haggard walking down the street with her daughter.
I actually think that her husband is probably the voice of reason in that household, too. I bet that he is advising her, and she is smart enough to take his advice.

After seeing him at the initial court appearance, he has been staying out of the limelight. Her brother, I believe, accompanied her at the latest court appearance. That is a very smart move.

I do believe that this family will be better off for it. I also think that their girls will have learned a valuable lesson.

I actually think that her husband is probably the voice of reason in that household, too. I bet that he is advising her, and she is smart enough to take his advice.

After seeing him at the initial court appearance, he has been staying out of the limelight. Her brother, I believe, accompanied her at the latest court appearance. That is a very smart move.

I do believe that this family will be better off for it. I also think that their girls will have learned a valuable lesson.
I don't think Hoffman's daughter even knew anything. Supposedly Hoffman paid to correct her SAT's answers without telling her it was being done.

Daily Mail is reporting that Netflix will no longer feature the Felicity Huffman comedy but will still release her miniseries:

"Netflix will no longer be releasing the Felicity Huffman comedy Otherhood this month, which also stars Patricia Arquette and Angela Bassett
  • Huffman plays an overbearing mother who moves to new York with two friends in order to surprise their children
  • This comes one day after the actress entered a guilty plea to a single charge of mail fraud for paying a proctor $15,000 to edit hr daughter's college test
  • Huffman will still be seen in the Central Park Five miniseries When They See Us, in which she plays Linda Fairstein"

Netflix shelves Felicity Huffman motherhood film, will air series with actress as nefarious DA | Daily Mail Online

I bet Patricia Arquette and Angela Bassett are mad at Felicity. From reading comments, I am pretty shocked by how many people are forgiving Felicity. Fans still really like her. I wonder if it's because they liked her on Desperate Housewives where she played someone like-able.

Last edited:
She was given extra time to take the test, too. How was she able to take the test by herself?
What I read is that she was send to take SAT in a special testing center, not that she was given extra time. Although there are a lot of contradictory information out there, but supposedly the daughter didn't know her results were going to be corrected. In her statement Hoffman claims her daughter knew nothing. I guess you can believe it or not.

I would be more surprised if the students didn't know. In any event, it doesn't matter because they were all likely under the age of 18 and weren't wiretapped. There is no evidence of anything unfortunately.

Last edited:
Lori would do well to get off her self made "I'm special" pedestal and face the facts. Unfortunately for her she has made a huge mistake in rejecting the plea deal and in pretending that nothing bad will happen to her.
I'm reminded of Paris Hilton way back when (at least 10 years ago) when she violated probation for a DUI and was dragged away in handcuffs, weeping and incredulous. I remember her screaming in court "this is not right!" She got 45 days in the hokey but only served a couple of weeks.

Lori and her husband's crime is way more serious. Her cheery prancing around signing autographs and acting like "nothing will happen to the likes of me" is highly offensive and a real turn off, and displays arrogance, a total lack of character, and frankly makes her come across as vapid and lightweight in intelligence.
May she get 10 times as much as Paris did, she deserves it, and it's high time she accepts responsibility and is taken down a notch or two or fifty from her outrageous sense of entitlement.
She won't do well in prison, with the reputation she has made for herself with her attitude on top of the cheating and dishonesty ....and that's fine by me.

The irony is, I don't think Loughlin daughters didn't even have an ambition to get into college. Sounds like she was the one who really wanted them to go to college, the younger one especially just wanted to party and show people how to put on makeup.

I'm reminded of Paris Hilton way back when (at least 10 years ago) when she violated probation for a DUI and was dragged away in handcuffs, weeping and incredulous. I remember her screaming in court "this is not right!" She got 45 days in the hokey but only served a couple of weeks.

That’s exactly what keeps coming to my mind as well!!! And didn’t Paris get let out after a few days because someone felt sorry for her but a judge ordered her to go back and finished the 20 some odd day sentence?? And I remember something about her going straight to sprinkles cupcakes after being released. :rolleyes:

What I read is that she was send to take SAT in a special testing center, not that she was given extra time. Although there are a lot of contradictory information out there, but supposedly the daughter didn't know her results were going to be corrected. In her statement Hoffman claims her daughter knew nothing. I guess you can believe it or not.
I'm surprised that Macy wasn't charged. The linked article states the reason as being that he participated in conversations concerning the second daughter. It says that Singer met with both of the parents. So, IMO, Macy knew what was going on.

Singer also instructed the daughter to ask for extra time, which is given to students with disabilities. Here's another article. Why William H. Macy, Felicity Huffman's Husband, Was Not Charged in College Cheating Scandal

The irony is, I don't think Loughlin daughters didn't even have an ambition to get into college. Sounds like she was the one who really wanted them to go to college, the younger one especially just wanted to party and show people how to put on makeup.
One of the high school classmates of the younger daughter said that she was never at high school and don't know how she even graduated. I think that I read that she missed the entire first week of college. So, I'd say that she didn't care to be there.

Daily Mail is reporting that Netflix will no longer feature the Felicity Huffman comedy but will still release her miniseries:

"Netflix will no longer be releasing the Felicity Huffman comedy Otherhood this month, which also stars Patricia Arquette and Angela Bassett
  • Huffman plays an overbearing mother who moves to new York with two friends in order to surprise their children
  • This comes one day after the actress entered a guilty plea to a single charge of mail fraud for paying a proctor $15,000 to edit hr daughter's college test
  • Huffman will still be seen in the Central Park Five miniseries When They See Us, in which she plays Linda Fairstein"

Netflix shelves Felicity Huffman motherhood film, will air series with actress as nefarious DA | Daily Mail Online

I bet Patricia Arquette and Angela Bassett are mad at Felicity. From reading comments, I am pretty shocked by how many people are forgiving Felicity. Fans still really like her. I wonder if it's because they liked her on Desperate Housewives where she played someone like-able.
I remember reading a Variety magazine article focusing on their public image/rehabilitation and it made the point that Felicity Huffman could have the easier time making her way back because she often played edgy or more complicated characters. Even this scandal feels like one of the more innocent mis-deeds her Desperate Housewives character would have done. Lori played such wholesome, good girl, down to earth, relatable girl next door type roles - that fans could be more likely to be angered/betrayed by the contrast of her real life behavior.

One of the high school classmates of the younger daughter said that she was never at high school and don't know how she even graduated. I think that I read that she missed the entire first week of college. So, I'd say that she didn't care to be there.

She missed the first week of college at USC to go to Fiji to do some photo-op stuff for her blog. You know, rich girls in luxurious exotic beach house wearing expensive clothes they never paid for. I'm sure parent (ie: Dad) were involved in the project because I'm sure Olivia is incapable of organizing something like this, far less actually buying an airline ticket or making a hotel reservation by herself. She had no intention of attending at all, except for the Amazon-sponsored dorm decoration stuff that was photographed there. And she doesn't strike me as the kind to actually have stayed in her dorm room.

Her entire vlog career strikes me as run by Dad, who has certainly developed, promoted, and maintained a highly successful clothing / lifestyle venture. I get the impression that OJ was going to be the next "billionaire" made by promoting beauty, clothing, & lifestyle a la Kylie Jenner. The ill-fated Sephora makeup promotion was going to be the start of their huge empire. For whatever positive attributes she seems to possess that attract followers, she is missing something in the organization and development darn hard work area. Whatever.

Mom and Dad screwed up both children's lives and futures careers. OJ doesn't have the wiles of Paris Hilton who survived a sex tape and a brief jail sentence to rise above and develope her name as a sellable celebrity. Nor does the family have the guts to go low low like the Kardashian family who first exploited a sex tape of Kim K into more trash.

So to say OJ never really wanted to be at USC is really evident.

But I think her very ambitious parents REALLY wanted the ins and connections she could make there with that age group. And they were well on their way to success: She was on Spring Break on the huge yacht of the billionaire father of a USC friend. And he being the Chairman of the Board of USC didn't hurt Mommy & Daddy's feelings either. Note also that daddy Mossimo was golf-schmoozing in Atlanta with the Head of the USC Athletic Department, Lynn Swann. ( Swann is an NFL Hall-of-Famer wide receiver for Pittsburg. He is famous and a nice guy, but he does't have the experience to run a huge industry like USC's athletic dept) Not every USC parent gets to golf with Lynn Swann.....

It's not hard to see how this family operates. It aims to be an industry, regardless of the needs of their children. This scandal exposes them for who they really are.

Last edited:

I read in one of the recent articles today, that the charging complaint said that Felicity specifically did tell her daughter she (the daughter) had to ask for extra time to take the test because of a learning disability.

I don't imagine the Huffmans had to change testing centers anywhere because they already live on the West Coast, and I'm also pretty sure the charging complaints said the residents of other states (Texas and the like) were told to claim a family event in Los Angeles, which meant their kids "had to" find another geographical location to take their tests.

Also, the scam for young Miss Huffman was set up after she had taken the much less serious and less weighted PSAT's. This isn't a situation where she took the 17-year-old's SAT and performed poorly on it. We technically don't know what she scored on the latter before the proctor sat down and went to town on correcting it, that I can recall; all people have said, is that the adjusted SAT trumped her PSAT score by 400-something points. For all we know, she took the PSAT in eighth grade (my class in New York State did in the 80's). Felicity never even gave this young woman a chance to show what she could do, IMO; and if my scenario is true to life, imagine how humiliated the older daughter must be feeling. "You've thought I was stupid ever since I turned in those PSAT scores! Admit it!" accusations flying, and the like.

That’s exactly what keeps coming to my mind as well!!! And didn’t Paris get let out after a few days because someone felt sorry for her but a judge ordered her to go back and finished the 20 some odd day sentence?? And I remember something about her going straight to sprinkles cupcakes after being released. :rolleyes:
I remember Paris Hilton big time and I thought of her when I heard of this case as well. I don't know why I didn't think of Martha Stewart or Teresa Giudice but all I can remember were tabloids posting Paris's face everywhere and her meltdown. I was a child back when this happened too but her meltdown was seared into memory. I had her perfume line and everything (I don't know why my mother bought it for me)

Lori is facing charges that are far more serious... I think Lori will end up doing the same amount of time that Teresa Giudice spent in jail. Ironically, both of their last names are similar Giudice and Giannulli and both couples were arrested for fraud.

According to Wikipedia (I know):
"On March 4, 2014, Teresa and Joe Giudice entered a guilty plea to 41 counts of fraud, following a deal struck with federal prosecutors. The couple was accused of engaging in bank, mail, wire, and bankruptcy fraud, which allegedly saw them net over $5 million over a 10-year period. On October 2, 2014, Teresa was sentenced to 15 months in a federal prison; Joe was sentenced to 41 months, followed by potential deportation to Italy. Together, the couple must also pay $414,000 in restitution."

If Teresa Giudice, Martha Stewart, and Paris Hilton can bounce back after Jail, then Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin likely will too. Teresa Giudice turned her Housewife to Inmate and Back Again book into a NY Times bestseller and opened a restaurant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member