Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the kids over 18, there should be some degree of culpability, imo. They participated in crimes. How could any of them not know, if they were allowed to test separately and/or given more time, had pics taken with sporting euipment or whatever, etc...at the very least, if they even took the tests at all. My sympathy level is zero for them as well. But their lives will be fine, they are still mega-rich, mega privileged, will do whatever they feel like doing their entire lives...

"She has been in complete denial and thought maybe she could skate by."
"She refused to accept any jail time and thought the DA was bluffing. She was adamant she wouldn't do any jail time."
"Lori is finally realizing just how serious this is. She is seeing the light that she will do jail time and is freaking out," a source told E! News. ('She thought she could skate by': Lori Loughin was 'in denial' about going to prison | Daily Mail Online)

Where was her lawyer? If I was representing her and she refused to listen, I would have to quit and buy her time so another lawyer could get the severity in her thick skull. It makes no sense, especially because they knew further charges would come.

"She has been in complete denial and thought maybe she could skate by."
"She refused to accept any jail time and thought the DA was bluffing. She was adamant she wouldn't do any jail time."
"Lori is finally realizing just how serious this is. She is seeing the light that she will do jail time and is freaking out," a source told E! News. ('She thought she could skate by': Lori Loughin was 'in denial' about going to prison | Daily Mail Online)

Where was her lawyer? If I was representing her and she refused to listen, I would have to quit and buy her time so another lawyer could get the severity in her thick skull. It makes no sense, especially because they knew further charges would come.

I imagine they live in a world where people get away with stuff. Kids are not charged fro drugs, drunk driving or shoplifting.

The adults get out of drunk driving, etc. They have probably heard of people getting off with all kinds of things.

I think you are right. Lets not forget Human Development. The human brain is not fully developed until the age of 25. That is if there were no outside influences (drugs and alcohol). If these children were aware of what was going on, they certainly were not aware of the consequences. Any parent could spin this in a way that a child may think this is "ok". As far as what to do with them, the question would be "would they have received entrance based on their own merit"? if so the by all means, let them stay. If they would not have been allowed entrance, help guide them somewhere where they can be successful.

I can see your point, but I still think they should be charged. Teens are charged every single day with crimes, some sent to prison for a few decades for crimes committed when they were 15/16 (maybe influenced by peers or gangs instead of their parents like these college kids). Their brains were not fully developed either, same with OJ and these other kids.
Doesn't matter at all. Still sentenced, still do time.

I honestly think there should be sentencing reform and mandatory strict long-term counseling for anyone convicted under age 22 or so, but that's not the society we live in.

An 18 year old that breaks into a home knows it wrong even if they can't fully conceptualize the consequences.
Same with these college kids. The majority of them had some clue something was wrong and should be prosecuted likewise, IMO of course.

As many on here have, I have taken my share of college and grad school placement tests.
Those rules they send you prior to test date and the ones you read on your paper or computer on test date are intimidating enough and let you know the exact consequences of cheating.

One of the kids I read about in the document didn't even show up for the 2nd day of testing, but still passed with flying colors.

Lori Loughin doesn't believe she did anything 'any mother wouldn't have done' | Daily Mail Online

This is not going to work as a defense.

This comes across as “It isnt a crime because we’re rich”

• This will resonate very poorly with the court. All the prosecution has to do is put OJ on the stand make it very apparent that it wasn’t her deepest desire to go to USC to earn a degree, and that she only went along with it to please her mother. That OJ knowingly agreed to the scheme and LL will be receiving an even longer sentence in prison.
Lori is 54, Does she really want to spend her next 10+ birthdays in prison?

Last edited:
Donna Heinel, a senior athletics official at USC whom Singer allegedly paid to shepherd his clients through the admissions process, was indicted on a racketeering charge and has pleaded not guilty. Her attorney says the allegations came as a shock and that the longtime USC administrator intends to clear her name in court.

In college scandal, rowing was the ideal sport for stowaways, prosecutors say

Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli are "not ready" to enter a plea for their alleged role in the college admissions scandal, a source close to the actress said.

"They wish the media would just leave them alone. They feel like there is no story and don't understand why the press keep hounding them and following Lori to yoga."

Lori Loughlin is 'not ready' to make a plea in college admissions scandal - CNN

Lori Loughin doesn't believe she did anything 'any mother wouldn't have done' | Daily Mail Online

This is not going to work as a defense.

This comes across as “It isnt a crime because we’re rich”

• This will resonate very poorly with the court. All the prosecution has to do is put OJ on the stand make it very apparent that it wasn’t her deepest desire to go to USC to earn a degree, and that she only went along with it to please her mother. That OJ knowingly agreed to the scheme and LL will be receiving an even longer sentence in prison.
Lori is 54, Does she really want to spend her next 10+ birthdays in prison?

Lori has beauty, fame and oodles of $$$$, but not one brain cell
to spare apparently. what an empty-headed dolt. No Lori what you did is not what any mother would do for her children's success. You really are vapid.
I wondered why she was smiling in court and acting this was just another day in Hollywood-- you know, smile, laugh, joke and sign autographs. ugh

Lori Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli are "not ready" to enter a plea for their alleged role in the college admissions scandal, a source close to the actress said.

"They wish the media would just leave them alone. They feel like there is no story and don't understand why the press keep hounding them and following Lori to yoga."

Lori Loughlin is 'not ready' to make a plea in college admissions scandal - CNN

They feel there is “no story”? Who on earth is coming up with these inane way of putting things? Do they think a million or so google hits on a topic is “no story”? LL would love this much press on one of her Apple-pie Hallmark movies...

I’d take this insider info with a grain of salt. This could be pure gossip and speculation from people looking for a quick payday.

I personally think she thought the prosecution would offer her a better deal and instead they released more charges. Her behavior is definitely off putting. Parents save for years, work extra jobs, sacrifice, students study hard just to get in college and then for years after work just to pay off debt. She has essentially snubbed all those people- the exact people who have made her famous. Her fan base wasn’t the elite, its your average American. Her best bet is to lay low, have her lawyers strike a plea, humble herself and release a true heartfelt apology.
Earlier reports of her husband lying to his mother about going to college and in reality taking the tution money and financing his business, doesn’t sit well. He had no problem lying and stealing from his family, so why wouldn’t he cheat and lie for his kids. The two people(and others) essentially had it all, no need to cheat especially since one child had no desire for a college education.

In college scandal, rowing was the ideal sport for stowaways, prosecutors say

This certainly paints an ugly picture of the Gianullis harassing the high school counselor who knew the daughters did not participate in crew.

And OJ is kindly described as " below the low-end of eligibility" for USC academic admission standards.

Nice work, Lori. Now the LA Times is openly describing your daughter as having such poor grades she wasn't eligible to apply to USC.

But I see why OJ is so mad at her parents. She did have a flourishing career. She knew she didn't want to go to USC, she wanted to go to ASU where her credentials and ambitions to "party and tailgate" would be very acceptable.

All this has just exposed her weaknesses and made her somewhat notorious. And it will only get worse as her parents' trial goes forward with likely felony convictions and incarceration for both of her parents.

I don't know how I would deal with that at 19.

Last edited:
I’d take this insider info with a grain of salt. This could be pure gossip and speculation from people looking for a quick payday.

Certainly true that it could be speculation

But PR companies also use the "insider information" route to plant information to attempt to paint a more sympathetic appearance to their clients. If this was a PR plant, it's backfiring very badly

Oh I know I just feel incredibly sorry for those who worked hard and deserved that spot.
I hear ya. I feel for them too - which is why these cases infuriate me.

But if those students worked hard to get into these colleges, they were likely admitted elsewhere. Because hard work pays off.

It's insulting what these cheater and fraudsters did, but honest people do come out winners.

jmo

Lori Loughlin doesn’t yet accept that it was against the law for her and her husband Mossimo Giannulli to pay $500,000 to have their two daughters admitted to the University of Southern California posing as crew athletes.

“To her, it wasn’t egregious behavior. Was it entitled and perhaps selfish? Perhaps. But she didn’t see it as being a legal violation.” The source added that it was “taking some time for it to sink in.”

Loughlin thought she was being a good parent getting her daughters into the prestigious private university, the insider said.

“From the beginning, she didn’t want to take a deal, because she felt that she hadn’t done anything that any mom wouldn’t have done, if they had the means to do so,” People quoted the person as saying.

Loughlin and Giannulli are delaying a plea deal because “they are hoping to just let this play out in the judicial system,” citing an insider close to the pair.

They are innocent until proven guilty,” the source added.

Lori Loughlin Felt She Did What Any Mother Would Do, Report Says | HuffPost

Lori needs to stop talking through her "sources". She sounds ridiculous.

Last edited:
Actually, this says "Everyone else does it"

No acknowledgement of criminality. No awareness. No repentance.

Still as arrogant and angry as the day of her arraignment with the scowling, crossed arms body language. She's certainly losing in the court of public sympathy.
No. Not everyone does this! My mom didn't and I followed her footstep by not cheating for any of my kids either. NEVER CROSSED MY MIND.

Absolutely NOT true that moms will cheat and lie for their kids.

Now I'm mad all over again.

The cheaters and scammers who think "everyone does this" think that because they surround themselves with other cheaters and scammers. This crowd deserves to be knocked off the pedestal. They are not people to look up to.

What's the point of cheating in the long run? It's FAKE and doesn't feel good. Accomplishment on your own merit feels good, and who wouldn't want that for the kids?

Grrr...I do not like liars.

jmo

The standardized test-taking savant who was paid off to pose as high school students and ace SATs and ACTs is expected to plead guilty this afternoon.

Mark Riddell, 36, will plead guilty in Boston to two charges: one count of conspiracy to commit mail fraud and honest services mail fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit money laundering.

He agreed to the terms in a plea deal signed last month in exchange for his cooperation with investigators and a reduced sentence.

Prosecutors want Riddell to serve 36 months of supervised release and a pay $239,449.42 fine, which is about what he earned from his crimes, his plea agreement states. He had faced 20 years in prison.

He is expected to be sentenced at a later date.

Mark Riddell, the college admissions scam's test-taking guru, is set to plead guilty Friday - CNN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper