Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lifetime Releases Trailer For Its College Admissions Scandal Movie | HuffPost

Penelope Ann Miller and Mia Kirshner star in “The College Admissions Scandal” film that will air in October.

The trailer for Lifetime’s adaptation of the college admissions scandal is here!

And the aptly titled “The College Admissions Scandal” will premiere on the network on Oct. 12...
I kinda think this will bomb. I mean, we can watch the scandal unfold in real life in the news.

jmo

I'm thinking the man she is walking with is an usher at the church. He's got that look. :)

If you didn't want to be photographed at church, I would think that could be super easy to arrange. Step 1, don't alert the photographers.

Since a Boston jury isn't necessarily made up of people following this case at all, I think the PR machine is setting up a career come-back for after the verdict.

I'm all for redemption (absolutely), but you don't get it by parading through photographers you called to see you emerge from church.

Cute haircut, though.

jmo

edited to define a pronoun.

Last edited:
I'm thinking the man she is walking with is an usher at the church. He's got that look. :)

If you didn't want to be photographed at church, I would think that could be super easy to arrange. Step 1, don't alert the photographers.

Since a Boston jury isn't necessarily made up of people following this case at all, I think they are setting up a career come-back for after the verdict.

I'm all for redemption (absolutely), but you don't get it by parading through photographers you called to see you emerge from church.

Cute haircut, though.

jmo

I love the hair!

She is hardly so important that photographers are following her around. No doubt this is all part of her PR scheme.

I wonder how often she went to church before

William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman tell their side of college admissions scandal

“But from the day the case was unsealed, prosecutors have emphasized that they intend to treat Singer's moneyed clients no different from any other accused felons.

They cited that reasoning again Friday in arguing why Huffman and 10 other parents should be imprisoned for conspiring with Singer.

“Incarceration is the only leveler,” they said. “In prison everyone is treated the same, dressed the same, and intermingled regardless of affluence, position or fame.”

Felicity Huffman's Daughter 'Has Nightmares' Over Mom's Armed Arrest In College Scam | HuffPost

In letters obtained by the Los Angeles Times and published Sunday, the couple wrote about the scandal to U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani, who will deliver Huffman’s sentence next week.

According to Macy, 19-year-old Sophia Grace “has nightmares from the FBI agents waking her that morning with guns” when Huffman was taken away in handcuffs in March. Huffman later pleaded guilty to shelling out $15,000 to rig her daughter’s SAT scores.

Two days after Huffman’s arrest, her daughter’s audition to an unnamed college was suddenly canceled via email. “She called us from the airport in hysterics, begging us to, ‘Do something, please, do something,’” Macy recalled.

In her own letter, Huffman said she had convinced herself that the bribery was a necessary crime to ensure her child’s success. “In my desperation to be a good mother, I talked myself into believing that all I was doing was giving my daughter a fair shot,” the “Desperate Housewives” star said. “I see the irony in that statement now because what I have done is the opposite of fair.”

William H. Macy and Felicity Huffman tell their side of college admissions scandal

“Incarceration is the only leveler,” they said. “In prison everyone is treated the same, dressed the same, and intermingled regardless of affluence, position or fame.”

SBM for focus. I don't think that incarceration is the only leveler. There are many rich and famous people who go to prison AND don't have the experience that I would have had if I committed the same crime. Actually, I might, indeed, get more charges or more a more vigorous prosecution for that matter.

Jail time is right for all of these people not because of the leveling but because anyone who does this should go to prison. This is not making an example out of someone but rather holding them accountable based on the system of laws we have.

U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling argued that Huffman should spend 30 days in jail because she knew the scheme was wrong and participated anyway.

Huffman has rarely left the house and hasn’t received an audition or job offer since her arrest six months ago.

Their oldest daughter is taking a gap year and not attending college for now. And the family, which also includes a younger daughter in high school, is also seeing a therapist together.

Huffman’s lawyers are arguing for one year of probation, 250 hours of community service and a $20,000 fine. They say in their filing that fraud cases involving standardized tests “almost always” result in probation and that incarceration is “exceptionally rare.” They also argue that a sentence including 250 hours of community service would be significantly more than judges typically hand down. Huffman’s lawyers say the actress proposes completing those service hours with organizations that work with at-risk youth in the Los Angeles area, where she lives.

The U.S. attorney’s office also seeks a year of probation after jail and a $20,000 fine. It argues that a one-month jail sentence recognizes that Huffman quickly accepted responsibility after being arrested and charged. Under federal sentencing guidelines, prosecutors could have sought up to six months’ incarceration.

Prosecutors Recommend 1 Month Sentence for Felicity Huffman in College Admissions Scam

Felicity Huffman's Daughter 'Has Nightmares' Over Mom's Armed Arrest In College Scam | HuffPost

In letters obtained by the Los Angeles Times and published Sunday, the couple wrote about the scandal to U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani, who will deliver Huffman’s sentence next week.

According to Macy, 19-year-old Sophia Grace “has nightmares from the FBI agents waking her that morning with guns” when Huffman was taken away in handcuffs in March. Huffman later pleaded guilty to shelling out $15,000 to rig her daughter’s SAT scores.

Two days after Huffman’s arrest, her daughter’s audition to an unnamed college was suddenly canceled via email. “She called us from the airport in hysterics, begging us to, ‘Do something, please, do something,’” Macy recalled.

In her own letter, Huffman said she had convinced herself that the bribery was a necessary crime to ensure her child’s success. “In my desperation to be a good mother, I talked myself into believing that all I was doing was giving my daughter a fair shot,” the “Desperate Housewives” star said. “I see the irony in that statement now because what I have done is the opposite of fair.”

At least the Huffman/Macy family gets what has been done and why it is wrong. Loughlin/Giannulli family not so much.

I like Huffman's statement that she can now see the irony because what she did is the opposite of fair. She is taking responsibility--- moreso than many high profile celebs who stay quiet (Martha Stewart, Teresa Guidice) or keep railing that they were targeted or their actions justified (Cosby, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Lindsay Lohan).

Olivia Jade Kisses BF Jackson Guthy At Disneyland: Watch – Hollywood Life

Olivia Jade Giannulli, 19, is escaping from her family’s university admissions drama with a day at the happiest place on earth! She was spotted at Disneyland in Anaheim, CA on Friday, September 6 with her on-again, off-again boyfriend Jackson Guthy, 23.

The sighting comes the very same week that classes would be getting underway at the University of Southern California.

___

Lori Loughlin, 55, didn’t look too thrilled when she went on a yoga outing by herself on Sept. 7.

https://hollywoodlife.com/2019/09/0...-pic-photo-marriage-stress-mossimo-giannulli/

Snipped and bolded by me.

This is very telling. I totally get that a cancelled college audition was very stressful, but the reaction tells me a lot. When my kids had stresses at that age, they might also come to me in hysterics, but nobody saw my role as a mom as having to "do something." I offered advice, support, encouragement, comfort, assurance, etc. but I wasn't the one who had to solve the problem, the teen/young adult did.

This case is a bit different, I suppose, because the mom actually caused the problem for the child. I acknowledge that. But the reaction of "Do something," tells me a lot about the family.

jmo

U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling argued that Huffman should spend 30 days in jail because she knew the scheme was wrong and participated anyway.

Huffman has rarely left the house and hasn’t received an audition or job offer since her arrest six months ago.

Their oldest daughter is taking a gap year and not attending college for now. And the family, which also includes a younger daughter in high school, is also seeing a therapist together.

Huffman’s lawyers are arguing for one year of probation, 250 hours of community service and a $20,000 fine. They say in their filing that fraud cases involving standardized tests “almost always” result in probation and that incarceration is “exceptionally rare.” They also argue that a sentence including 250 hours of community service would be significantly more than judges typically hand down. Huffman’s lawyers say the actress proposes completing those service hours with organizations that work with at-risk youth in the Los Angeles area, where she lives.

The U.S. attorney’s office also seeks a year of probation after jail and a $20,000 fine. It argues that a one-month jail sentence recognizes that Huffman quickly accepted responsibility after being arrested and charged. Under federal sentencing guidelines, prosecutors could have sought up to six months’ incarceration.

Prosecutors Recommend 1 Month Sentence for Felicity Huffman in College Admissions Scam
I'm sure waiting for the verdict is a huge part of the stress on the family. I think once that firm decision is made, they will be able to move on much easier.

As I type that, I'm thinking about all the families who also have stresses and unknowns in their lives, but without the benefit of financial security, therapy, etc. I don't have a point with that, it's just a thought that popped into my head. This is a yucky problem for the Huffman family, but it really isn't the end of the world.

I'm all for gap years anyway. I think that is a fantastic idea for a lot of high school graduates.

jmo

Last edited:
Don’t buy Felicity Huffman’s pathetic excuses

https://nypost.com/2019/09/09/dont-buy-felicity-huffmans-pathetic-excuses/

The View had a hot take on it today as well - they were all coherent and on the same page -

Can watch the clip here:

The View on Twitter

"This judge has to send a message to the community that this is not right. She had wealth, privilege and a platform, and she didn’t use it appropriately," Sunny Hostin says of Felicity Huffman's involvement in the college admissions scandal.

"Her kid took a seat that another kid deserved, and that’s the problem.” Sunny Hostin weighs in on federal prosecutors arguing for prison time for Felicity Huffman in college cheating scam: https://abcn.ws/2m7omwz

If Felicity’s daughter had a learning disability that “required” help on her math SAT score, was she able to manage college? Did she pass the required high school math courses for college? Algebra? Geometry? The SAT isn’t all they look at, is it?

And what college was she trying to attend? (I don’t recall.) If 400 points lower on her math SAT was acceptable for a “lesser” school, what’s wrong with that? And I’m living proof that it’s possible for a “math challenged” student to get through a decent university without ever taking a math class if you plan your major and other coursework to avoid it. Of course, that was over 50 years ago. Her parents could have guided her into options that accommodated her learning disability. But it sounds as if Felicity wanted to pretend her daughter didn’t have problems with math. Poor girl!

I don't really care if Huffy goes to prison or not. She would get the royal treatment anyway. Theresa Guidice was "in prison", yet managed to be photographed with her children when they visited her, and she was as glammed up as a Vegas Show girl. I don't think that normal women in prison have access to hair extensions and pounds of makeup.

You’re on a roll, Roses! :D
Well I was on a big soap box and I figured I'd spare you all.
I would LOVE to see part of her sentence be that she has to pay for four years (tuition and board) for a *Criminal Justice* student. Wouldn't that be perfect! : )

Amateur opinion and speculation

Well I was on a big soap box and I figured I'd spare you all.
I would LOVE to see part of her sentence be that she has to pay for four years (tuition and board) for a *Criminal Justice* student. Wouldn't that be perfect! : )

Amateur opinion and speculation

LOL! Absolutely brilliant idea! Email the judge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper