Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
She speaks again:

Kyle Richards Shuts Down Trolls Who Ask If She's Involved in College Scam

“Some people are really unbelievable,” the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star, 50, captioned an Instagram Story screenshot on Wednesday, March 13, of Sophia defending herself against haters. “So proud of you @sophiakylieee.”

Sophia, 18, who is a freshman at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., didn’t hold back after a fan commented on her page, “Did your parents bribe your way into Gw just like all your neighbors back home did? You seem incredibly stupid.”

The teen quipped back, “I actually graduated high school on the deans list and worked really hard to get into a good school thank u for ur concern tho sweetie.”

Kyle's comment from the other day before:

“We know a lot of people in that circle and it was really shocking today,” explained the Bravo star, who is friends with Lori Loughlin. “Everyone’s talking about it today, you know, in our world and our circle. Until today, had never heard this ever existed. Maybe I’m naive. I didn’t even know that existed.”

It is strange to me because I have known for years that the uktra rich bought their way into schools.

It shocks me that this was not common knowledge.

Sexual harassment has been common knowledge forever too. Just recently a light has been shined on it.

I don't understand why the issue has to be new to garner attention.

jmo

I agree. Many things were common knowledge for a long time (sexual harassment, priests molesting children, slavery, discrimination, inside trading, etc) but things will never get "fixed" until people start speaking out against them and trying to make a change. Just because this was already an issue doesn't make it okay and doesn't mean that attention shouldn't be drawn to it.

I don't know what everybody is up in arms about. This has been going on for decades, even generations. If they had waited and followed these kids around they would find they would or have graduated with flying colors, having passed courses they never even attended. As we speak College Athletic Departments have nests of "tutors" for athletes that can't pass their required courses, but they can play ball and get the Stadium seats filled.

JMO

I just found out a couple months ago that most D1 men's college basketball players are freshmen! I had no idea. Seems SO shady.

Another reminder of the wonders of the internet and computers for higher education and learning. Remember when your research paper was dependent on which books your library had on the shelves and you had to type them on a typewriter, with carbon copies? We did have white-out though.

White out

Thank Monkees mike nesmith mother for that.

She speaks again:

Kyle Richards Shuts Down Trolls Who Ask If She's Involved in College Scam

“Some people are really unbelievable,” the Real Housewives of Beverly Hills star, 50, captioned an Instagram Story screenshot on Wednesday, March 13, of Sophia defending herself against haters. “So proud of you @sophiakylieee.”

Sophia, 18, who is a freshman at George Washington University in Washington, D.C., didn’t hold back after a fan commented on her page, “Did your parents bribe your way into Gw just like all your neighbors back home did? You seem incredibly stupid.”

The teen quipped back, “I actually graduated high school on the deans list and worked really hard to get into a good school thank u for ur concern tho sweetie.”

Kyle's comment from the other day before:

“We know a lot of people in that circle and it was really shocking today,” explained the Bravo star, who is friends with Lori Loughlin. “Everyone’s talking about it today, you know, in our world and our circle. Until today, had never heard this ever existed. Maybe I’m naive. I didn’t even know that existed.”

Um, Sophia, it's graduated from high school, not graduated high school. I need the face palm emoji.

USC and UCLA:
USC and UCLA are both reviewing the admissions applications of students whose parents allegedly paid tens of thousands of dollars in bribes to guarantee their children got into the colleges and scored high on college entrance exams.

Private Schools in the LA are:
Several elite Los Angeles-area prep schools have been subpoenaed in connection with the college admissions cheating scam. Subpoenas were issued to unnamed schools said to be among the most prominent private schools in the area. The prep schools are not accused of wrongdoing. Rather, the subpoenas seek records related to some of the families allegedly involved in the scheme.

NCAA
The NCAA announced it will launch an investigation into the widespread cheating scandal that implicated nine coaches at elite schools.

Feds uncovered the nationwide college admissions scandal by accident

"For every student admitted through fraud an honest, genuinely talented student was rejected"

White out

Thank Monkees mike nesmith mother for that.

Yes, and it was an expensive luxury for a poor college student. My senior year, I wrote five 60 page papers. This was what I usually used. I borrowed typwriters as I couldn't afford my own.

TYPEWRITER ERASER RUBBER #512 - IMPA 470866

url

Harvard alum Mark Riddell took SAT and ACT exams for students between 2012 and this past February. He was paid $10,000 per test.

Prosecutors are seeking to recover almost $450,000 forfeiture from the former college tennis player.

It didn't appear that Riddell actually sat among high school students on Saturday mornings when he allegedly took the tests. Ringleader William Rick Singer bribed test administrators in Houston and Los Angeles and "allowed Riddell to secretly take the ACT and SAT tests in place of the children of Singer's clients.

Since 2006, Riddell had been director of college exam preparation at IMG Academy, a prep school in Bradenton, Florida, known for producing elite athletes. Riddell said he legitimately helped many students through his job at IMG Academy."

Harvard alum 'profoundly sorry' for taking tests for students in college cheating scheme

Dragon Global CEO Robert Zangrillo was also charged Tuesday.

His daughter Amber knew about the plot, even asking Singer in a phone call what he was doing “about an ‘F’ grade that she had received in an art-history class she had taken.”

Singer said that one of his employees, Mikaela Sanford, would secretly retake the online class on her behalf and that she had “already got the class almost done.”

Singer asked if his plan made sense and Zangrillo and his daughter replied yes. They also allegedly asked whether Sanford could take a biology class for Amber.

Amber needed the stellar grades on her transcript since her application to the school indicated she “was taking classes” at a number of colleges after being rejected by USC the first time around in 2017.

Her new application also “falsely stated that she rowed crew at a club for an average of 44 hours per week for 15 weeks a year.”

On June, 14, 2018, USC accepted Amber. On her Facebook page, she posted in July 2018 that she had started school at USC.

https://pagesix.com/2019/03/13/pal-...-part-in-college-admissions-scam-docs-reveal/

Harvard alum Mark Riddell took SAT and ACT exams for students between 2012 and this past February. He was paid $10,000 per test.

Prosecutors are seeking to recover almost $450,000 forfeiture from the former college tennis player.

It didn't appear that Riddell actually sat among high school students on Saturday mornings when he allegedly took the tests. Ringleader William Rick Singer bribed test administrators in Houston and Los Angeles and "allowed Riddell to secretly take the ACT and SAT tests in place of the children of Singer's clients.

Since 2006, Riddell had been director of college exam preparation at IMG Academy, a prep school in Bradenton, Florida, known for producing elite athletes. Riddell said he legitimately helped many students through his job at IMG Academy."

Harvard alum 'profoundly sorry' for taking tests for students in college cheating scheme
He's only sorry he got caught.

Marcia and Gregory Abbott

The New York and Aspen-based couple allegedly wanted their daughter to get into Duke University and had little faith that she could achieve the scores she desired on her own, so they forked over $50,000. Gregory is the founder and chairman of a food and beverage packaging company.

Marcia was allegedly recorded in a couple of areas saying that her daughter was going to throw up due to the pressure, so this failsafe was great:

“Alright, she loves the guy [CW-2] who took the SATs, she said. She said she started having heart palpitations but she said he was so sweet, he let me walk around the hallway. She said, ‘Can’t I take my SAT subjects with him?’ And I said, ‘Nah, I don’t think so. I mean, I think, you know, you just, it’s whole different area and that was ’cause we happened to be out in California seeing schools. So you know we’re gonna take them here.”’So, alright, so there’s no way for [August] 27th. Then I guess we should take them here down [in the Aspen area] on the 27th and let’s see how she does.”

“If so, yes, October 6th. So I guess they give a mix alright. Well, let’s see how she does, She’s convinced that she bombed the lit because she was too tired, so … And [Duke University] told us they didn’t want anything below a 750.”

After hearing ACT score was “not exceptional”: “Oh yeah, my gosh, I mean, I’m sure her, you kidding me? She was gonna throw up like every single drug in the world for mono and lyme [disease]. I’m sure it was a disaster.

“Do you know how she did on her own?”

Cooperating witness-1 (CW): “Yeah, I do. She scored in the mid-600s.”

Gregory: “Yeah.”

Their daughter “received a score of 800 out of a possible 800 on the math subject test and 710 on the literature subject test

These Are the Craziest Allegations Against Parents Implicated in Historic College Cheating Scam

Gamal Abedelaziz

This Nevada exec dad allegedly put together quite a fake athletic resume for his daughter so she could get into USC, even though her grades weren’t going to cut it.

On or about July 16, 2017, in an e-mail bearing the subject line, “For Me to complete USC athletic profile,” CW-1 asked ABDELAZIZ to send biographical information about his daughter. The e-mail indicated that the profile would include falsified honors, including “Beijing Junior National Team.” In a subsequent e-mail sent on or about July 27, 2017, CW-1 requested that ABDELAZIZ provide an action photo of his daughter to be used in the profile. ABDELAZIZ replied, “Got it,” and provided the biographical information and photo that same day.

On or about August 7, 2017, Janke sent CW-1 a draft of the profile, which falsely described ABDELAZIZ’s daughter as having received numerous athletic honors, including “Asia Pacific Activities Conference All Star Team,” “2016 China Cup Champions,” “Hong Kong Academy team MVP,” and “Team Captain.” In the cover e-mail, [Laura] Janke wrote, “Let me know if you want me to add any other awards to her profile or if you think that is enough. ”CW-1 forward Janke’s e-mail and the false profile to ABDELAZIZ and wrote, “Gamal please answer below[.]”

Abedelaziz allegedly paid $300,000 to make this happen. Amusingly, a cooperating witness and Abdelaziz were virtually high-fiving over the phone about how great this fake profile was:

CW-1: I’ll tell you a funny story, is that Donna Heinel, who is the senior women’s administrator, she actually called me and said — she called me and says, “Hey [CW-1], that profile that you did for [ADBELAZIZ’s daughter], I loved it. It was really well done and going forward, anybody who isn’t a real basketball player that’s a female, I want you to use that profile going forward.”

Abdelaziz: I love it.

These Are the Craziest Allegations Against Parents Implicated in Historic College Cheating Scam

Son defends parents caught in college admissions scandal while smoking blunt

https://nypost.com/2019/03/13/son-d...llege-admissions-scandal-while-smoking-blunt/

Lovely just lovely

This was linked in the story you posted:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The couple gave admitted mastermind William “Rick” Singer bribes of $50,000 and $75,000 to have an on-the-take proctor doctor their teen’s tests to bring the scores up to snuff, prosecutors charge.

But after allegedly crooked SAT administrator Igor Dvorskiy got his hands on the teen’s tests, her scores were boosted to a perfect 800 on the math exam and 710 on the lit test, filings say.

The outside help also bumped up the student’s score on the ACT from a 23 out of 36 to a nearly flawless 35, filings show.

“They got roped into [this by] some guy who f–king cheated them,” said the man, who referred to the defendants as his “parents” but later claimed to be a “friend of the family.”

“They’re in their 60s, but they’re also … removed from the real world,” he said. “They don’t f–king understand this s–t.”

https://nypost.com/2019/03/12/nyc-beverage-bigwig-caught-up-in-college-admissions-scandal/

Marcia and Gregory Abbott

The New York and Aspen-based couple allegedly wanted their daughter to get into Duke University and had little faith that she could achieve the scores she desired on her own, so they forked over $50,000. Gregory is the founder and chairman of a food and beverage packaging company.

Marcia was allegedly recorded in a couple of areas saying that her daughter was going to throw up due to the pressure, so this failsafe was great:

“Alright, she loves the guy [CW-2] who took the SATs, she said. She said she started having heart palpitations but she said he was so sweet, he let me walk around the hallway. She said, ‘Can’t I take my SAT subjects with him?’ And I said, ‘Nah, I don’t think so. I mean, I think, you know, you just, it’s whole different area and that was ’cause we happened to be out in California seeing schools. So you know we’re gonna take them here.”’So, alright, so there’s no way for [August] 27th. Then I guess we should take them here down [in the Aspen area] on the 27th and let’s see how she does.”

“If so, yes, October 6th. So I guess they give a mix alright. Well, let’s see how she does, She’s convinced that she bombed the lit because she was too tired, so … And [Duke University] told us they didn’t want anything below a 750.”

After hearing ACT score was “not exceptional”: “Oh yeah, my gosh, I mean, I’m sure her, you kidding me? She was gonna throw up like every single drug in the world for mono and lyme [disease]. I’m sure it was a disaster.

“Do you know how she did on her own?”

Cooperating witness-1 (CW): “Yeah, I do. She scored in the mid-600s.”

Gregory: “Yeah.”

Their daughter “received a score of 800 out of a possible 800 on the math subject test and 710 on the literature subject test

If The College Board does the right thing, they’re going to have to completely redo ALL their stats charts & bell curves for SAT going back at least 10 years. In 2017, when my daughter was a senior in HS, a math score in the high 600’s was a top 10% score. This was the first year of the “new” SAT. Fewer than 1% were scoring in the high 700’s- the rate dropped off that much. These numbers aren’t just used for college admission & specialty scholarships. THESE STATS ARE USED BY STATE LEGISLATURES TO DETERMINE THRESHOLD SCORES FOR DIFFERENT TIERS OF STATE SCHOLARSHIPS. In GA it’s the “Hope Scholarship”, FL it’s “Bright Futures”- and on and on. Every state has this. So these cheaters didn’t just take some seats in the Ivies. They skewed the stats & prompted state budget comittees to raise the bar- eliminating thousands of scholarship awards to state schools, screwing thousands of students out of awards they’d been working towards since 6th grade. That’s right SIXTH GRADE- the start of middle school. In 2017 it cost FL students the Bright Futures difference of Medallion ($6840 per year) vs Academic Scholar ($9090 per yr). That’s a big d@m difference to a kid from the hood fighting for the first degree his family has ever earned, while juggling 3 part-time gigs to eat & cover remaining tuition. The repercussions are really more vast than some rich-n-famous narcissists taking some premiere seats. SAT, ACT stats have to be redone & state legislatures have to lower the bar back to the reality of what the scores actually are when 18 year olds are taking the exam- not 36 year old test-taking experts plumping their lifestyles with $10K per pop exam-sitting services. Quite confident he’s not the only one taking these tests- by a long shot. Every state legislature will have to reset these thresholds. Think about the resources!

"Loughlin's next court appearance will be on March 29 in Boston."

"Giannulli was released on $1 million bail after his court appearance on Tuesday. His next court appearance also is set for March 29 in Boston."

"[Huffman's] next court appearance was set for March 29 in Boston."

College admissions scandal: USC says students connected to scheme will be denied - CNN

Anyone know why the next court proceedings will be in Boston??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeDee214